Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

well yeah and he didnt inherit that dude, he drafted him

Flacco and Rice back to back worked out pretty drat well for us til the wheels fell off

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ghost Dog posted:

*lists all the numerous failures the team had before harbaugh got there that they no longer had again once he got here* and yeah anyway they didnt get any better

The big failing that happened under Brian Billick was Kyle Boller. Billick thought he'd outsmarted everyone with this and it ended up hurting the franchise badly. Even still if we had signed Kurt Warner or even Kerry Collins in those days who knows? Those 03-05 Ravens could have gone a lot further. Most people predicted us to win the division in 04 before everyone knew just how bad Boller was.

They were never as good in the Harbaugh days as they were in 2006 aside from the QB and RB position when Rice was good(which was actually a pretty short period if you look at it even for RBs). Them having good teams doesn't mean Harbaugh is any good. The 2001 Ravens would have been in the SB again if Jamal Lewis hadn't torn his ACL and maybe the Patriots/Brady never would've even been a thing if that had happened.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The odds of the Ravens getting someone better than Harbaugh are not so good. I agree that he probably needs to go, in the same way that Reid was done in Philly, but uh, good luck finding your Doug Pederson.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Head Coach Dean Pees

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The odds of the Ravens getting someone better than Harbaugh are not so good. I agree that he probably needs to go, in the same way that Reid was done in Philly, but uh, good luck finding your Doug Pederson.

This is about where I am at on it. as a whole head coaches are mostly either wild negatives, net neutral or like 3 of them are net positives. Harbaughs a fine middle manager and thats all most head coaches are. if you need to switch up who your middle manager is just cause of staleness or whatever thats fine, but its going to be rough if you dont find another who doesnt suck

Kawalimus posted:

The big failing that happened under Brian Billick was Kyle Boller. Billick thought he'd outsmarted everyone with this and it ended up hurting the franchise badly. Even still if we had signed Kurt Warner or even Kerry Collins in those days who knows? Those 03-05 Ravens could have gone a lot further. Most people predicted us to win the division in 04 before everyone knew just how bad Boller was.

They were never as good in the Harbaugh days as they were in 2006 aside from the QB and RB position when Rice was good(which was actually a pretty short period if you look at it even for RBs). Them having good teams doesn't mean Harbaugh is any good. The 2001 Ravens would have been in the SB again if Jamal Lewis hadn't torn his ACL and maybe the Patriots/Brady never would've even been a thing if that had happened.
if harbaugh drafting good players and having good teams is not a mark for him, how can the opposite be marks against him? dont actually answer this just look at some leaves on trees and pretend there are birds and ponder it tia

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ravens ultimately never found someone to base an offense around after Ray Rice left. Flacco was never good enough to be one of the top tier QBs that can make bad receivers look competent. They have had decent backs but none of the caliber that you had to like specifically game plan against. The wideouts and TEs on the whole have been putrid.

Some of it is coaching up young players to fill those roles but a lot of it is just mediocre drafting. To be fair I think they have picked in the top 10 like once this past decade

Nov 6, 2002

The Ravens struggles of late are mostly due to poor drafting. Quick name me an offensive player drafted by the Ravens in the last five years that was top 15 in their position.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A lot of it is that they don't really draft offense at the top of their drafts too often, and if they do it is almost always OL or TE. Perriman was the only WR they had taken above like round 4 since Torey Smith

Nov 6, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A lot of it is that they don't really draft offense at the top of their drafts too often, and if they do it is almost always OL or TE. Perriman was the only WR they had taken above like round 4 since Torey Smith

You don't need a top 10 pick to hit on a WR or RB.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah but it helps. Like they aren't picking them at all before the second half of the draft every year

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Ravens have always been awful at drafting wide receivers with the vague exception of Torrey Smith. It's one of those things that has to be an Ozzie Newsome issue because everyone else has changed since.

Nov 6, 2002

Jesus Christ.

In the last four years they've drafted five tight ends, spending a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds and a 5th.

Then they go and pickup other teams left overs at wideout and fail because Flacco is not good enough to make those kinda guys look good for a whole season.

But I'm sure this is Harbaugh's fault.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Harbaugh has input into the draft so I mean, yeah some of it is unless they ignore him completely. There's a reason a bunch of people went apoplectic after they kept trading down this year to draft a 35 year old tight end who originally played professional baseball.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ.

In the last four years they've drafted five tight ends, spending a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds and a 5th.

Then they go and pickup other teams left overs at wideout and fail because Flacco is not good enough to make those kinda guys look good for a whole season.

But I'm sure this is Harbaugh's fault.

Yeah, my point is it doesn't seem like they are really bad at talent evaluation and draft tons of busts or anything but that they have a really strange set of draft priorities compared to the rest of the NFL.

Every team has its quirks, like the Bengals being completely adverse to drafting an LB higher than the third round, but it's weird as hell to see a team apply that to basically all offensive skill positions almost every year in the modern NFL.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The TE stuff is ridiculous I agree and is like those Jets teams where the fans were like 'WE WANT SAPP". Maxx Williams was supposed to have been good but the Hayden Hurst draft pick is maybe the most baffling of all.

They are drafting like we still have a bunch of HOFers on the team but we don't. This team needs foundational players.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1059533605729460224

Praise Allah

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dr. marvin lewis is not a real doctor

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

You don't need a top 10 pick to hit on a WR or RB.

Yeah the Steelers have been consistently getting good skill position players at later picks. It's the high picked dbs/olbs they keep whiffing on lately. Although Watt the younger is starting to get good.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That's what has defined the Steelers in the past two decades--the ability to draft and develop at the skill positions. I'm not sure any other team in the NFL comes close to their success.

Nov 6, 2002

Some teams just seem to have certain positions groups in their DNA. The Steelers seem to just fall rear end backwards into talented RBs and WRs, the Patriots always have a good linebacker or two, the Ravens always find good CBs and DBs.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Bring back ray rice

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bengals seem to hit good WR/DL talent and every other position is used to shore up special teams.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The two problems I see with the Ravens is that philosophically, they're still drafting for pre-2010 defenses as their top priority. The entire league is about offense 1st, pray you've invested enough in defense, where the Ravens are still the reverse. The other thing is that they clearly don't invest in top flight coordinators. If your HC isn't Belichick level, then you better have some bright coordinators. The Ravens' coordinators are afterthoughts, much like Flacco's skill position players.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i dont think thats particularly true, its just every single time they have a decent coordinator hes immediately poached for an hc job. they spent a lot on kubiak, even got a promise from he he wouldnt leave and then he immediately left(for his dream job of hcing where he started and no one was mad about it but it still was lovely luck). caldwell got to be our oc for like 1.5 seasons before a job, didnt even get a full calendar year of chuck pagano.

on top of that, they had a pretty long track record of good DCs/defensive guys going on to be head coaches like marvin lewis, and then the last one in that line was rex ryan who just took the entire staff with him when he left, just up and robbed it all and suddenly its gregg mattison time

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The two problems I see with the Ravens is that philosophically, they're still drafting for pre-2010 defenses as their top priority. The entire league is about offense 1st, pray you've invested enough in defense, where the Ravens are still the reverse

That's exactly right. They've taken the last minute offensive drives against them that have ruined seasons as a reason to over invest in defense instead of investing in an offense that can pull off those exact drives. At least the philosophy seemed to be reversed this past off-season so it's unlikely that Lamar Jackson will be burdened with as much dog poo poo talent as Flacco was.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont think thats particularly true, its just every single time they have a decent coordinator hes immediately poached for an hc job. they spent a lot on kubiak, even got a promise from he he wouldnt leave and then he immediately left(for his dream job of hcing where he started and no one was mad about it but it still was lovely luck). caldwell got to be our oc for like 1.5 seasons before a job, didnt even get a full calendar year of chuck pagano.

on top of that, they had a pretty long track record of good DCs/defensive guys going on to be head coaches like marvin lewis, and then the last one in that line was rex ryan who just took the entire staff with him when he left, just up and robbed it all and suddenly its gregg mattison time

Pre-2010, sure. Not really since. Kubiak may have been the only good OC Flacco has had in his entire career

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the offensive scheme this year has probably been the best its ever been tbh. I think that has more to do with gregg roman than marty morningwheg but either way its been very well coached. Theyve done a pretty excellent job helping out with a dumpster fire at RT, shutting down von miller is basically a loving miracle considering james hurst was blocking him for an entire game.

The line is atrocious this year and the fact that joe has had as much time as he has speaks wonders about the scheme. Theyve devoted a ton of chip blocks and misdirection to slowing down the pass rush for a qb who has never been good under pressure. Theyve done a better job of it this year than kubiak did, and they've done a similarly good job of generating play action looks without you know, having any run game at all to speak of.

Are people that down on the wrs the ravens signed? the offense in general has taken a step back so I'm sure their numbers arent great but signing 3 talented wrs for under market contracts cause they came off down or injured years was a particularly good move. Its nearly impossible to get a #1 wr without drafting them so getting some talented dudes was a pretty big coup considering what the wr corps was set up to look like.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Our WRs are good we are just regressing completely because teams are figuring us out and dunce-cap won't adjust.

We have tried with good coordinators, we tried like crazy to keep Kubiak even but he wanted to head coach with the Broncos. We've had tons of good coordinators they just get poached. I consider the Kubiak year our best offense. If we had the WRs we have this year on that team that probably would've been a SB contender.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

what adjustments, specifically, do you think he should make. specifically. with specifics. Specific

e: i just know someone else is going to answer this question cause someone else always does then kawalimus just copy pastes what they say over and over again for 3 years in a row

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

what adjustments, specifically, do you think he should make. specifically. with specifics. Specific

e: i just know someone else is going to answer this question cause someone else always does then kawalimus just copy pastes what they say over and over again for 3 years in a row

they should put the ball in the endzone op

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

I have no way of knowing exactly what they need to do but you mentioned something like teams figuring out how to make it so we can't rotate suggs out. That's one thing. Our pass rush has stopped working. And we need to get it working again. Our receivers seem to be getting covered better in particular John Brown and we need to work on getting him the production he was getting early on. Plus the running game has been in a funk since the very beginning with no production and fumbles etc. That needs to be worked on and at least improved to an adequate level.

I'm not an inside football guy and I can't tell you in depth. But teams have figured out the Ravens and we are not getting it together. Since the 4th quarter of the Saints game we have been a bottom-10 team. And closing in on bottom 5. At no point during the Pittsburgh game did the Ravens ever really feel like they were in it. Despite having dominated the first matchup. This is a signal that the Steelers have adjusted. And the Ravens have stayed the same.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

I have no way of knowing exactly what they need to do but you mentioned something like teams figuring out how to make it so we can't rotate suggs out. That's one thing. Our pass rush has stopped working. And we need to get it working again. Our receivers seem to be getting covered better in particular John Brown and we need to work on getting him the production he was getting early on. Plus the running game has been in a funk since the very beginning with no production and fumbles etc. That needs to be worked on and at least improved to an adequate level.

I'm not an inside football guy and I can't tell you in depth. But teams have figured out the Ravens and we are not getting it together. Since the 4th quarter of the Saints game we have been a bottom-10 team. And closing in on bottom 5. At no point during the Pittsburgh game did the Ravens ever really feel like they were in it. Despite having dominated the first matchup. This is a signal that the Steelers have adjusted. And the Ravens have stayed the same.

i mean this is word salad dude, none of this is a thought its just garbage. Suggs need play better, wr covered is not an adjustment.

how do you have so much confidence that there are obvious adjustments that must be made when the only ones you can think of are half remembered things i said? what do you even think is the problem. Wide Recievers Covered is not a problem scheme wise specifically, its a symptom of either bad wrs or bad scheme. You've identified it as a coaching problem. Explain what that is or shut up

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

i mean this is word salad dude, none of this is a thought its just garbage. Suggs need play better, wr covered is not an adjustment.

how do you have so much confidence that there are obvious adjustments that must be made when the only ones you can think of are half remembered things i said? what do you even think is the problem. Wide Recievers Covered is not a problem scheme wise specifically, its a symptom of either bad wrs or bad scheme. You've identified it as a coaching problem. Explain what that is or shut up

I don't think the receivers are bad. So if they're not bad then why are they not getting as open? They need better routes. We know that John Brown and Crabtree aren't bad route runners. I don't know a lot about Snead. And even Chris Moore has shown some skill. I think this is the best set of receivers we've ever had. The coaches need to work on the scheme. If they think they don't need to then they ought to be sacked.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

That is not an argument and its not specific. Which routes do they need to run, which ones do they run now and which ones are they bad at? Do you actually think route combinations are just rock paper scissors and john harbaugh(who does not coach the offense) is just throwing rock over and over again?

I'm not saying you have to know everything or really even anything about wr routes to be allowed to criticize the ravens coaches. I don't really know much at all tbh, but just banging your fist on the table screaming ADJUST with no specifics is some stupid poo poo and its grating as hell to read tbh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well Crabtree is tied for 1st in the league in dropped passes, and the Ravens as a whole are tied for 7th in the league with 12 (if you can trust a site just called "stats"). I'm not entirely enamored with the new and improved wide receivers.

(My god the Jags have dropped every pass ever)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

You know I don't know those things. On TV it's hard to see what routes guys are running. That's why I used to like going to the games and sitting way high up. I could focus on whatever I wanted to see. I know more now than I did then so I could watch the receivers and even the offensive line blocking. But back then I just watched the QB and the ball like I would have if I was watching on TV.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

Well Crabtree is tied for 1st in the league in dropped passes, and the Ravens as a whole are tied for 7th in the league with 12 (if you can trust a site just called "stats"). I'm not entirely enamored with the new and improved wide receivers.

(My god the Jags have dropped every pass ever)

hes the best in the league at something and still you complain smh

Kawalimus posted:

You know I don't know those things. On TV it's hard to see what routes guys are running. That's why I used to like going to the games and sitting way high up. I could focus on whatever I wanted to see. I know more now than I did then so I could watch the receivers and even the offensive line blocking. But back then I just watched the QB and the ball like I would have if I was watching on TV.

having no way of knowing information seems like a good reason to not have a strong opinion on what that information is

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
"I don't know how to watch the things I'm bitching about, you know this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Kawalimus posted:

They need better routes.

Kawalimus posted:

On TV it's hard to see what routes guys are running.

:thunk: