Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

was vilerat's account permabanned? it's still a mod account

he lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Particularly when going into a midterm election slate that was not particularly kind to them to begin with.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rudecyrus posted:

A. They believe electoralism is the only way to express discontent.

B. Their identity is wrapped up with the Democratic Party.

Don't get me wrong, I understand people being depressed right now, but to actually consider suicide over an election is some serious brokebrain

That video posted ITT of democrats' only form of expression being the process

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
don't get me wrong i don't think capturing the house is something without value, if only for the possible stymieing of our self-inflicted wounds but the number of people expressing their suicidal ideation is maybe a bit much. or maybe it's not, hosed if i know anymore.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

don't get me wrong i don't think capturing the house is something without value, if only for the possible stymieing of our self-inflicted wounds but the number of people expressing their suicidal ideation is maybe a bit much. or maybe it's not, hosed if i know anymore.

I mean if the global warming thread is anything to go by we're doomed anyway so

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its ironic nihilism, its how the thread works

Office Pig posted:

are we reading the same thread :goofy:

if its D&D then whatever

I mean there are going to be people nationally that do this regardless and thats just how hosed and pervasive thirdwayism is with how they keep people hostage with the two party system, but on a comedy website with an admin who keeps trolling the thread for shits and gigs, uhh~

if there are actual permabans, yea :rip:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

its ironic nihilism, its how the thread works

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849?s=19

Applies to nihilism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Lmao how is a Republican governor in a solid blue state like MA going to walk away tomorrow with 2/3rds of the vote? Massholes indeed.

Jay Gonzalez sucks.

MA has been under one party rule for so long people think having an R in government is good bipartisanship.

MA dems are real bad in general, again because of one party rule

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

did you literally just false equivalency sexism and racism to nihilism, now nothing really matters~

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

did you literally just false equivalency sexism and racism to nihilism, now nothing really matters~

No I'm saying irony isn't real!!! Ironic nihilism is still nihilism

Not that there's anything wrong with some nihilism just own it is all

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Office Pig posted:

For all the privileged idiots in the Trump thread, you're right, but I'd like to share a story with you. I swear all of this is true down to the last detail.

On election night 2016, I was the second to last person out of our local DFL office. We didn't have many volunteers that day, but by about 6:30 PM or so (polls close at 8:00), folks had mostly left and were prepping for the upcoming party. Around 7:15 PM, it was just me (a volunteer) and a staffer at the office cleaning and tidying when a middle aged hispanic guy walks in, still in his work clothes, holding a big bag of food from his work to feed volunteers. He was a little concerned that there wasn't more people out making calls or door knocking. We didn't have a long conversation, but he shared with me how afraid he was for himself and his family if Trump and the Republicans won. He talked about the anti-immigrant violence and the overall environment of hate, and the look on his face still haunts me. He was absolutely terrified. I hadn't seen him before, and I haven't seen him since, but I think about him a lot, and I hope he and his family are okay.

Regardless of whether he and his family would actually be better off if Dems lost and then found their way out of losing to actual good policies, or if Dems get elected and continue Obama's policies, I cannot disregard how that guy felt in that moment about the upcoming election. Where I'm at, a lot of folks, particularly immigrants who don't have a lot of choice about where they work, have no elected officials before US House who aren't Republicans who actively hate them and want them gone. My life has not changed materially as a result of the last election, and it isn't likely to change as a result of the upcoming election, but there are people for whom seeing the country descend further into a right-wing hellscape absolutely could be the final thing that pushes them over the edge.

As someone who has been suicidal and who has been lucky enough to work past it, gently caress anyone who jokes about suicide. There's a drat good reason that suicide lifelines experienced a big uptick after Trump won. For an immigrant who's afraid of being deported or a LGBTQ kid who's bullied, it doesn't really matter if it would be better for them long term if the Dems lose. I'm not going to trying to use this to pull at your heartstrings to vote Dem, I'm just saying, when someone says that they're suicidal over an election, it's a lovely response to wonder if it might be "a bit much".

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I was reading my client's :siren: IMPORTANT: HOW MIDTERM SHAKEOUT WILL AFFECT YOUR STOCKS :siren: brief from morgan stanley and it p. much takes 30 pp to say everything is horrible and nothing will change no matter what the result.

here's the topline:

tax bill 2.0 is s'posed to make permanent the middle-class tax cuts passed in 1.0 so it's hard to see dems voting against it but who knows.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

tomorrow I'm voting to make politics boring again. I can't wait until we have people that will listen to us. we can discuss the issues later.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lemming posted:

No I'm saying irony isn't real!!! Ironic nihilism is still nihilism

Not that there's anything wrong with some nihilism just own it is all

oh ok fair enough :hai:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

I was reading my client's :siren: IMPORTANT: HOW MIDTERM SHAKEOUT WILL AFFECT YOUR STOCKS :siren: brief from morgan stanley and it p. much takes 30 pp to say everything is horrible and nothing will change no matter what the result.

here's the topline:

tax bill 2.0 is s'posed to make permanent the middle-class tax cuts passed in 1.0 so it's hard to see dems voting against it but who knows.

im 100% expecting to lose every dollar have invested into the market lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol saw some Stacy Abrams ads on Youtube, they were extremely succ. Strangely I can't actual find the ads through googling, but one was like:

"Everyone in politics is always yelling at each other. Why can't they just can't they just come together and get things done??? Stacy Abrams will use her Experience to get the job done"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol that any of you are rich enough to have money in ~the market~

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Phi230 posted:

lol that any of you are rich enough to have money in ~the market~

im 100% prepared for the guillotine, also i dont have maids to pay.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

For all the privileged idiots in the Trump thread, you're right, but I'd like to share a story with you. I swear all of this is true down to the last detail.

On election night 2016, I was the second to last person out of our local DFL office. We didn't have many volunteers that day, but by about 6:30 PM or so (polls close at 8:00), folks had mostly left and were prepping for the upcoming party. Around 7:15 PM, it was just me (a volunteer) and a staffer at the office cleaning and tidying when a middle aged hispanic guy walks in, still in his work clothes, holding a big bag of food from his work to feed volunteers. He was a little concerned that there wasn't more people out making calls or door knocking. We didn't have a long conversation, but he shared with me how afraid he was for himself and his family if Trump and the Republicans won. He talked about the anti-immigrant violence and the overall environment of hate, and the look on his face still haunts me. He was absolutely terrified. I hadn't seen him before, and I haven't seen him since, but I think about him a lot, and I hope he and his family are okay.

Regardless of whether he and his family would actually be better off if Dems lost and then found their way out of losing to actual good policies, or if Dems get elected and continue Obama's policies, I cannot disregard how that guy felt in that moment about the upcoming election. Where I'm at, a lot of folks, particularly immigrants who don't have a lot of choice about where they work, have no elected officials before US House who aren't Republicans who actively hate them and want them gone. My life has not changed materially as a result of the last election, and it isn't likely to change as a result of the upcoming election, but there are people for whom seeing the country descend further into a right-wing hellscape absolutely could be the final thing that pushes them over the edge.

As someone who has been suicidal and who has been lucky enough to work past it, gently caress anyone who jokes about suicide. There's a drat good reason that suicide lifelines experienced a big uptick after Trump won. For an immigrant who's afraid of being deported or a LGBTQ kid who's bullied, it doesn't really matter if it would be better for them long term if the Dems lose. I'm not going to trying to use this to pull at your heartstrings to vote Dem, I'm just saying, when someone says that they're suicidal over an election, it's a lovely response to wonder if it might be "a bit much".

you're right, i was being entirely too thoughtless and i regret losing the broader perspective.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1059603578833141760

:lol: that garbage rear end clip in there :barf:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

certainly had an analogy in it, yep

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

:argh:

Curse you gently caress Schooner for voting for Kavanaugh!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

was vilerat's account permabanned? it's still a mod account

it will never, ever know the peace of not moderating D&D

(it got a slight reprieve when the homework explainer became an admin, but that was more an oversight rather than a purposeful change)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dem lanyards win the race since they had another campaign of grifting the system

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
god drat america

god drat barack obama

god drat the democrats

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
vote or die motherfucka

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1059585246562267136

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ivnob/status/1059614511156641792

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm kinda bummed out by how hyped people are about this election. This kind of fervor shoild be saved for like, something good happening. Best case the house gets taken back by a democratic party that's still predominantly succ and has demonstrated how fundamentally unwilling it is to engage with anyone but their corporate donors.

Im getting bummed because if dems get ajy significant gains a bunch of people are gonna go "we did it. We beat trump" and go back to ignoring the fact the country is literally on fire.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

I'm kinda bummed out by how hyped people are about this election. This kind of fervor shoild be saved for like, something good happening. Best case the house gets taken back by a democratic party that's still predominantly succ and has demonstrated how fundamentally unwilling it is to engage with anyone but their corporate donors.

Im getting bummed because if dems get ajy significant gains a bunch of people are gonna go "we did it. We beat trump" and go back to ignoring the fact the country is literally on fire.

when things get worse after tomorrow regardless of what happens more people will realize this

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah when :kav: repeals roe in a year or so even the libbest of libs will realize poo poo's still hosed

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah when :kav: repeals roe in a year or so even the libbest of libs will realize poo poo's still hosed

knowing the cosmic writers of the universe RBG will probably croak on wednesday

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Phi230 posted:

pretty sure that’s coming up in the dem sweep timeline

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phi230 posted:

It's spelled "comic"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zoran posted:

pretty sure that’s coming up in the dem sweep timeline

in which Manchin and Bredesen are the decisive votes for letting a Scalia clone take Ruth Badger Ginsburg's seat, after Chuck Schumer doesn't use his power to prevent the vote from being held

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Phi230 posted:

No she does overnight and that gets all the chuds out to complete the red wave tomorrow

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Phi230 posted:

You know, for a while I was annoyed with RBG for not retiring under Obama so her seat could go to a marginally left candidate, but now I'm certain Obama would have tried to appoint a right winger to 'balance out' Merrick Garland and still gotten the door slammed in his face

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

galenanorth posted:

in which Manchin and Bredesen are the decisive votes for letting a Scalia clone take Ruth Badger Ginsburg's seat, after Chuck Schumer doesn't use his power to prevent the vote from being held

The Baileys are telling him that it would be very bad for the comity that clearly still exists in the Senate.:colbert:

(using "comity" unironically will be a prosecutable offense once Bernie takes power)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

She crumbles into dust the first day of the next Democrat President's term. All that's left is a mummified hand flipping off Trump.