Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

On that subject, and getting back on topic, does anyone have any info on Flying Circus? I know backer emails have indicated it's still in the works and being refined, but I recall some people being more in the loop on the dev process. That game seems like it's likely to succeed in ways Night Witches failed.

Erika's hard at work, especially with the plane creation rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Remember that cryptic 7th Sea 2e update back a while ago?

quote:

After reviewing the company finances in August, I discovered JWP was not making enough to sustain its current work force. And so, in the ugliest and hardest day of my life, I had to lay off all the JWP employees.

What this means is the 7th Sea lines are going to slow down. I cannot maintain the release schedule we promised before GenCon. That doesn’t mean books aren’t going to happen, it just means they’re going to be slower than expected.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Who's up for Samurai action...without John Wick or L5R?

Though the creator did work on stuff for 7th Sea Second edition.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeSquide posted:

Who's up for Samurai action...without John Wick or L5R?

Though the creator did work on stuff for 7th Sea Second edition.

I'll have to see if it has preview rules later to confirm, but I hope this is good. :ohdear:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited to see if Khitai backers get anything substantial at any point. Also, they are going to get one white man's voice about Asian cultures, at best.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
New Sword and Sorcery KS is up. One of my favorite games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ares-games/sword-and-sorcery-ancient-chronicles?ref=user_menu

Basically new core set, 5 new heroes, bunch of new enemies. New features include overworld map exploration, city map exploration, crafting gear, mercenary companions, minion horde type enemies.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'll have to see if it has preview rules later to confirm, but I hope this is good. :ohdear:

There are preview rules.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am excited to see if Khitai backers get anything substantial at any point. Also, they are going to get one white man's voice about Asian cultures, at best.

Well, I assume most of the writers on that would have been freelancers, right? The people who are losing out from this are likely editors, production managers, art directors etc.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Khitai is shaping up to maybe be my first Kickstarter bust. I guess this shows me for backing heavy into it after my group had a lot of fun with a couple pick up games of 2e during Gen Con two years ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I'm guessing Wick focused too hard on multimedia and not the thing that was making him money? And probably not even that much, because RPGs?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dawgstar posted:

So I'm guessing Wick focused too hard on multimedia and not the thing that was making him money? And probably not even that much, because RPGs?
He went full Skarka, man. Never go full Skarka.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wait, what happened with Kihtai?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, bummer, dude clearly pushed way too hard to turn a successful KS into some kinda multimedia empire and...yea...Now I'm gonna be surprised if I get anything from the rest of the 7th seas books or Kihtai.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am excited to see if Khitai backers get anything substantial at any point. Also, they are going to get one white manThe Wick's voice about Asian cultures, at best.

I'm glad I didn't back Khitai either but 7th Seas has a lot of content already, to the point where you could run a very full campaign without running out of material.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm glad I didn't back Khitai either but 7th Seas has a lot of content already, to the point where you could run a very full campaign without running out of material.

I mean, that value of the stuff I have gotten out of the 7th Sea kickstarter so far is already well worth the price of admission. I even back for the physical core book and two other supplement books. I have been playing in a 7th Sea campaign since almost the launch of the core book, but while I have enjoyed the system well enough it wasn't exactly amazing enough to want a whole different game line that could have easily been 7th Sea 2nd supplements just like the Africa of MIddle East books. But the delays were starting to get noticable, and there were still alot of undelivered books in the first kickstarter when the Khatai one started.

Getting like 10 or 15 books for 65 bucks with super high production values seemed insane at the time, and look how it played out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Covok posted:

Wait, what happened with Kihtai?

Hasn't come out yet, will likely be heavily delayed now due to there now being only one permanent employee at John Wick Presents, that being John Wick.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe he's still flogging the board game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Getting like 10 or 15 books for 65 bucks with super high production values seemed insane at the time, and look how it played out.
It turns out, virtually giving away your whole game line doesn't actually work.

Who could have guessed?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, that value of the stuff I have gotten out of the 7th Sea kickstarter so far is already well worth the price of admission. I even back for the physical core book and two other supplement books. I have been playing in a 7th Sea campaign since almost the launch of the core book, but while I have enjoyed the system well enough it wasn't exactly amazing enough to want a whole different game line that could have easily been 7th Sea 2nd supplements just like the Africa of MIddle East books. But the delays were starting to get noticable, and there were still alot of undelivered books in the first kickstarter when the Khatai one started.

Yeah, the value given at the all the books level was incredible but I guess that was part of the problem, a lesser one to Wick's hubris I guess. The game itself is alright, nothing I'm crazy about but if people wanted to play it, I wouldn't say no.

The workload they had the starting of a new project before the first was finished was also a red flag to me. It was that, personal finances, and just not being grabbed by what they had made me turn it down.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mors Rattus posted:

Hasn't come out yet, will likely be heavily delayed now due to there now being only one permanent employee at John Wick Presents, that being John Wick.

My emotions!

First, I went "oh, phew, I thought y'all were talking about Kamigakari."

But, then I realized I actually did back Khitai! For $60!

Womp-womp.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it helps, I've bought all the 7th Sea 2E stuff separately.

Apparently I was the only one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I bought all the 7th Sea 2e stuff separately. The system is terrible, but the setting books are amazing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I bought all the 7th Sea 2e stuff separately. The system is terrible, but the setting books are amazing.

I think it was quantum Ninja who proved that mathematically you can't ever tell if you optimize your die roll or not. Which really says a lot about your system when computer scientists are telling you that it's impossible to ever tell if you optimized a single roll in the game, not character creation just a roll.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I think it was quantum Ninja who proved that mathematically you can't ever tell if you optimize your die roll or not. Which really says a lot about your system when computer scientists are telling you that it's impossible to ever tell if you optimized a single roll in the game, not character creation just a roll.
That's actually not really a problem in practice. You literally have d10's and you're only making 10's - or 15's in some cases. This is actually pretty drat easy.

I mean I get that it's a math problem, but this lived in theory-land not the table.

It's everything else that is the problem.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Covok posted:

You piqued my interest here... but I don't think this is correct. I don't know the game well, but it looks like you roll some D10s, and divide them into groups totaling 10 or more. Obviously this is a trivial computational problem with realistic numbers of dice.

But regardless of the number of dice (n), there's a solution in P because the dice are interchangeable within a maximum of 10 sets. With arbitrary die faces/group-totals you'd need a 2^n memo, but here you can use a n^10 one (for the naive algorithm, obviously in practice there's a lot of valid greedy optimizations like "each 10 can automatically be counted as a group").

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just going to say this. I'm an accountant. I specialize in tax accounting. I do addition and subtraction and rarely multiplication. I did division once. When a computer scientist said this and made an argument, I believe them. I'm starting to think I may have been miscorrect in my trust.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I'm just going to say this. I'm an accountant. I specialize in tax accounting. I do addition and subtraction and rarely multiplication. I did division once. When a computer scientist said this and made an argument, I believe them. I'm starting to think I may have been miscorrect in my trust.
It was related back to unproven mathematical theorems that have dick-all to do with 'make the dice add to 10' in practice. Start with 10's, those are done. Then go to 9's, and look for 1's. No 1's? What's the other smallest one; use it. Then go to 8's, etc. When you don't have any two-die sets, you go to three-die sets. And so on.

e: It's basically like saying you need to know calculus to catch a thrown ball.

The game is not a good game, but acting like it requires an advanced math degree is just bonkers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978262034/ugears-games-unique-mechanical-devices-for-tableto

Tired of fighting with your troublesome deckbox only to drop your cards everywhere?

https://i.imgur.com/nGiqBXo.mp4

THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY

https://i.imgur.com/2Pm0hFQ.mp4

WELL NOW THERE IS! INTRODUCING THE UGEARS DECKBOX!

https://i.imgur.com/FkFTKdm.mp4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/978262034/ugears-games-unique-mechanical-devices-for-tableto

Tired of fighting with your troublesome deckbox only to drop your cards everywhere?

I am pretty tired of how tight some game boxes are. I've got a brand new copy of Narabi here and I can barely get the lid off. On the other hand, I just pull out the long edges slightly and shake the box gently to slide it out part way, after which I can get a grip on both halves. I don't try to open games by throwing the box around while holding it by the lid like a tantruming child.

(I admit though, as an owner of Arkham Horror I do like how the many piles of mockup cards in the card holder are all labelled "Some Game About Cthulhu".)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 6, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That deck box looks cute, but it also looks like it'll rattle itself to death in my backpack before it even makes it to the gaming table.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

jmzero posted:

You piqued my interest here... but I don't think this is correct. I don't know the game well, but it looks like you roll some D10s, and divide them into groups totaling 10 or more. Obviously this is a trivial computational problem with realistic numbers of dice.

But regardless of the number of dice (n), there's a solution in P because the dice are interchangeable within a maximum of 10 sets. With arbitrary die faces/group-totals you'd need a 2^n memo, but here you can use a n^10 one (for the naive algorithm, obviously in practice there's a lot of valid greedy optimizations like "each 10 can automatically be counted as a group").

The problem is very solvable, I did an implementation using dynamic programming a while back.

It's just a bit awkward because if you're rolling eight dice and trying to figure out which you should group into 15s and which you should group into 10s to get as many successes as possible can take a bit of thinking at times, which is the opposite of what you want in a dice system.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I normally wouldn't do this, but it's friend of a friend stuff. A mad group of boardgame designers from Lappland have been caravanning round Europe since January attempting to complete the grand tour of all 23 major conventions, compiling a photo book as they go. They have just two left to finish the lap.

Unfortunately, their car engine blew on the way out of Essen and now they're stuck on the way to Munich in need of money. They have thusly elected to set up a quick Kickstarter selling their book once it's done, recordings of Finnish poetry recitals, and anything else they can think of. So if anyone wants to support them, it will be welcomed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ratoslov posted:

That deck box looks cute, but it also looks like it'll rattle itself to death in my backpack before it even makes it to the gaming table.

yea I actually genuinely AM quite tired of how 'standard' deckboxes can be but that doesn't really look like what I want either.

Nifty design though, and points for cleverness, but yea it feels like they're replacing the problem of 'I'm sick of how some deck boxes can be super tight and awkward' by going 'well how about this much easier to access box that you probably shouldn't put in a backpack or messenger bag where it could bounce?'

That said I may jump in on the card holder/dice tower combo level.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Covok posted:

I have been a computer programmer for over 30 years. I do EVERYTHING with a calculator. Nothing about programming makes you good at math, or vice-versa.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

FirstAidKite posted:

sexpig by night posted:

Nifty design though, and points for cleverness, but yea it feels like they're replacing the problem of 'I'm sick of how some deck boxes can be super tight and awkward' by going 'well how about this much easier to access box that you probably shouldn't put in a backpack or messenger bag where it could bounce?'

That said I may jump in on the card holder/dice tower combo level.

I like the look of the kickstarter one, but if you have access to a 3d printer there are a bunch of geared deckboxes available for print, like this one or this one.

I do want that GM screen and a set of the cards used in the promo shots. I don't know what I'd use knockoff CoC or whatever cards for, but I'm sure I'd find something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Getting a card holder for Eldritch Horror was seriously one of the best accessories I ever bought. Then an app came out to replace most of the cards, so.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

GrandpaPants posted:

Getting a card holder for Eldritch Horror was seriously one of the best accessories I ever bought. Then an app came out to replace most of the cards, so.

Same but for Gloomhaven on like 80% of the components.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I like how the black and white part of the faux infomercial isn't in black and white and uses a box that nobody would ever use as a deck box. That's like....something you'd buy a cheap necklace pendant in.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
So, could someone smarter or better informed than me explain what just happened on the Horrors of War CoC kickstarter?
They just updated and said the co-author of 3 of the 8 scenarios is dropping out and demanding his work get pulled. Is this dead in the water?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460966263/horrors-of-war-a-convenant-with-death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've never heard of this Kickstarter before now, but what I'm getting is that if they don't deliver in the next week it will have taken longer for them to deliver their product than WWI actually lasted.