Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rob Halford could be naked and covered in chocolate syrup and still be more metal than any of us.

Behemoth the other night was loving amazing. Some of the songs on the new album I was a little iffy about, but seeing them live really sealed the deal for me. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYASEv1KYM

Heavy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4KwjdmqyI

Not heavy.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
New Valkyrja at the end of the month. Hell yeah.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Rob Halford could be naked and covered in chocolate syrup and still be more metal than any of us.

Behemoth the other night was loving amazing. Some of the songs on the new album I was a little iffy about, but seeing them live really sealed the deal for me. Unbelievable.

I saw them Friday and feel exactly the same. I went from being about 50/50 on the new album to listening to it on repeat. Behemoth slays live.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

Re: Discovery chat, did anyone else use Audiogalaxy a lot? I found some of my enduring faves (Blind Guardian, Stormwarrior, to name two) because it had a whole ‘bands that sound like the band you’re looking at’ system

Have a speedy saturday:
https://youtu.be/g97meJ4YS4o

I used Audiogalaxy, and it's how I found Kyuss. Thanks for covering Demon Cleaner, Tool, because it led me down a rabbit hole that I really never made it out of. Also Motorhead got me to Sepultura because of Orgasmatron :hellyeah:

It did put me off on the Melvins for a long time though, because I just downloaded a few random songs and didn't land on any of the accessible ones.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Parachute posted:

oh yeah cool you had an older brother to guide your musical taste while i just went to the record store and picked out the albums with the most skulls on them and hoped for the best

hell, same.

Good thing was trading albums was a thing and I got to trade off those which I did not like or was bored of.

I member, I couldn't understand brutal death back then so I traded a Homo Iratus album for Triumph of Steel by manowar, and that's how I started listening to manowar. I was a small kid gimme a break

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ozzy is doing a farewell tour with Megadeth and there’s somehow no Chicago date despite there being three nights in between Des Moines and Milwaukee.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ozzy has forsaken us. :smith:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ozzy looked like bea arthur on the ultimate sin tour

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know if my ears suck or what, but I seriously can't tell the difference between the original and this NEW REMASTERED And Justice for All. Sounds the fuckin same to me. All the extra live tracks are cool though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it just the original with all the bass sliders maxed out?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Honestly it doesn't sound like they touched the low end at all. I've listened to this twice now; once in the car and once with headphones. :shrug:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I only checked out the title track but yeah I can't hear any real difference. Still can't hear any goddamn bass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The intro to One seems cleaner to me, but I could just be fooling myself into looking for a difference.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ozzy is doing a farewell tour with Megadeth and there’s somehow no Chicago date despite there being three nights in between Des Moines and Milwaukee.

:megadeath: lucky megadeth concert #13 for me now!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone seen Nasty Savage recently-ish? They're filling High on Fire's spot on the Municipal Waste/Toxic Holocaust show tomorrow night and I'm kinda stoked about it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

InsidiousMuppet posted:

I saw them Friday and feel exactly the same. I went from being about 50/50 on the new album to listening to it on repeat. Behemoth slays live.

In absentia Dei... :black101: Also on the subject of Behemoth, Demigod is finally on Spotify. I don't know when it was added but I just noticed it the other day. Now if they could just get the first five albums up. I actually saw them do "Pure Evil and Hate" live once.

Thursday was my first time hearing "Daimonos" live, too. gently caress, that song is great.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I saw Behemoth when they were touring with Inquisition and yeah, they're really fun live. I wouldn't mind seeing them again. I'll always cherish you spitting fake blood on me, whatever your name is lead guitarist.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

I only checked out the title track but yeah I can't hear any real difference. Still can't hear any goddamn bass.

It was re-mastered, not re-mixed. I remember hearing that re-mixing was basically impossible because Lars' drums were edited so much that the tape degraded to an unusable state.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Just catch Ozzy on one of his other farewell tours

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ozzy osborne looking like someone's grandma not even playing sabbath songs but just his solo poo poo with support from geriatric megadave. great gig with lots of thrills

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Marin Karin posted:

I saw Behemoth when they were touring with Inquisition and yeah, they're really fun live. I wouldn't mind seeing them again. I'll always cherish you spitting fake blood on me, whatever your name is lead guitarist.

Adam Darski aka NERGAL

:black101::hf::goonsay:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know if my ears suck or what, but I seriously can't tell the difference between the original and this NEW REMASTERED And Justice for All. Sounds the fuckin same to me. All the extra live tracks are cool though.

It's REMASTERED not REMIXED. The live stuff is fun.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I picked this up last night and have been listening to it today at work. It is indeed heavy. As I was telling a friend of mine, they are not the best band ever or anything, but the music is super headbangable and I like that they cross multiple metal genres, sometimes within the same song.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I randomly came across this album today and remembered how good it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXXxh1fq8sw

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's REMASTERED not REMIXED. The live stuff is fun.

Yeah I do like the billion live tracks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, I can't hate nu-metal because Limp Bizkit and Korn were my gateway to metal and then my buddy loaned me the black album in high school and I was hooked. Plus metal in general has meant a lot to kids who didn't feel like they belonged anywhere else and that is extremely important for anyone, but especially for a teenage kid who doesn't feel like he matters to anyone else. You matter to your metal brothers and sisters, you have a community that understands what it's like to feel like an outcast. It sounds corny, but metal changed my life for the better.
I still say Korn had a legit good first album, but the problem was that their debut was so cathartic that everything afterward kept trying and failing to recapture the raw angst that got people's attention. By the time the 3rd album rolls around, they've "got the life" and they're blowing up luxury sportscars in their videos. No thanks. I always considered Limp Bizkit too douchebroey, and Linkin Park was over the top cliche angst. But Deftones got unfairly lumped in with nu metal despite starting as pretty much a hardcore band that became something very different later. Slipknot, though I never got into them musically, I have to admit they have great stage presence. They headlined a tour with SoaD and Rammstein opening, and I mostly went to see Rammstein shoot fire at each other (because who the gently caress doesn't want to see that). But after the openers were done I stuck around, left the pit and found a seat, and was actually fairly impressed. Slipknot knows how to put on a good live show, even if I'm not into their material.

Shakenbaker posted:

I used Audiogalaxy, and it's how I found Kyuss. Thanks for covering Demon Cleaner, Tool, because it led me down a rabbit hole that I really never made it out of. Also Motorhead got me to Sepultura because of Orgasmatron :hellyeah:
Weirdly enough, when Kyuss first came along I didn't give them a chance because for whatever reason I thought they were a hair metal band. They came along right at the tail end of the pre-grunge Headbanger's Ball era, so their videos were always wedged between peak glam bullshit, and I think I confused them with a hair metal band with a similar name. Several years later a friend of mine had one of their CDs and I commented on it, so she corrected my assumption and made me listen to it immediately. I was never happier to be wrong.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

Weirdly enough, when Kyuss first came along I didn't give them a chance because for whatever reason I thought they were a hair metal band. They came along right at the tail end of the pre-grunge Headbanger's Ball era, so their videos were always wedged between peak glam bullshit, and I think I confused them with a hair metal band with a similar name. Several years later a friend of mine had one of their CDs and I commented on it, so she corrected my assumption and made me listen to it immediately. I was never happier to be wrong.

john garcia has an extremely buttrock voice

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
True, there is that. :butt:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
My gateways to metal were long before (Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Metallica, I'm old) but I'll still defend the first two Korn albums as noteworthy even if not particularly breathtaking. I'm with you on Limp Bizkit (they did have three pretty good songs, though). Linkin Park took a while but the Thousand Suns record is a very different animal from CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIINNNN - it's one of the few diamonds in the nu-metal wasteland... probably because there isn't actually much nu-metal on it.

Slipknot was something I wrote off as silly/stupid, until Vol. 3 got my attention, and I loving love All Hope Is Gone.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

A human heart posted:

ozzy osborne looking like someone's grandma not even playing sabbath songs but just his solo poo poo with support from geriatric megadave. great gig with lots of thrills

Megadeth still crushes it live so yeah you do you

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sticklefifer posted:

But Deftones got unfairly lumped in with nu metal despite starting as pretty much a hardcore band that became something very different later.
Because the song that landed on everyone's mixtapes in middle school was 7 Words

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

KozmoNaut posted:

Just had the pleasure of witnessing Brought By Pain live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nd5NSxP0A

Holy poo poo.

Thanks for this, bought their EP off bandcamp and it rips. Wish they had a full length though, that EP is 2 years old.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Deftones are better than a lot of metal bands that get blind praise

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I saw a dude propose to his girlfriend tonight while Toxic Holocaust was playing Nuke the Cross.

I also saw a 350ish lbs man hit apples with a chain and then throw CRT televisions up and chest bump them.

In short, metal shows are a land of contrasts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

did she say yes

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Shakenbaker posted:

Anyone seen Nasty Savage recently-ish? They're filling High on Fire's spot on the Municipal Waste/Toxic Holocaust show tomorrow night and I'm kinda stoked about it.

Yeah, they put on a good live show. Entertaining, to say the least.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

did she say yes

Reading their reactions it looked like a yes to me. Kinda heartwarming :unsmith:

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah, they put on a good live show. Entertaining, to say the least.

I literally just got in from that show and I'm trying to process it still, because:

Shakenbaker posted:

I also saw a 350ish lbs man hit apples with a chain and then throw CRT televisions up and chest bump them.

I honestly felt a little bad for Municipal Waste having to follow that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fenrir posted:

My gateways to metal were long before (Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Metallica, I'm old)
Oh, nu metal wasn't nearly my gateway either, just something I brushed up against in high school when I was a grunge kid. My gateway to metal was Twisted Sister. I LOVED We're Not Gonna Take It and I Wanna Rock when I was like 6 years old. A grade school friend of mine had a metalhead older brother with a record collection (Ozzy, Scorpions, Ratt, early Crue, etc).

The only reason I was aware of Korn was because I got two free 2-track promo cassettes at an indie record store a few months before their first album came out. One was Korn, and it had Blind and Clown as the A/B-sides. The other tape was Season to Risk with Mine Eyes and Jack Frost. I don't know if anyone remembers them, but they were pretty decent. The singer used a CB radio mic.