Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Anidav posted:

I unironically think Bill Shorten is a pretty funny guy. He actually cracks a lot of good jokes, he is a cheeky lil poo poo but the media doesn't really give it screen time.

Best zinger was he was fronting the media talking after the spill:
".. and the Prime Minister.. [Internally Checks Notes] Scott Morrison"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Maybe they should announce that the cop threatened to rape a child before he boards any plane to honour his service

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lord Nelson is great.

BLOOD IS BACK

Tagline for May 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got thrown out of the Lord Nelson while having a quiet drink with my friend's conspicuously drunk and obnoxious brother but I remember it being good.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe they should announce that the cop threatened to rape a child before he boards any plane to honour his service

:hmmyes:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao this thread is great.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's almost like the standard for cops should be much, much higher than normal people, but in fact the opposite is true!

How bizarre!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Lmao this thread is great.

A good OP makes a good thread, I say.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Its a fair dinkum thread for your true blue Aussie battler

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
so when does america put an even bigger brick on the gas while heading towards the cliff?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

11pm

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is that when we start getting results?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Very excited to watch the good people of the USA decide whether or not to doom the planet from the comfortable distance of,

, a location on the same planet. poo poo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

alright nerds which one of you was this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/son-stabbed-father-to-death-after-being-told-to-stop-playing-computer-games-20181102-p50dm3.html

quote:

Son stabbed father to death after being told to stop playing computer games

A man who fatally stabbed his father after being told to get off the computer didn't intend to kill him and asked afterwards if his father would be OK, a court has heard.

Daniel Chapman, 22, was playing on his computer at about 8.30pm on October 2, 2016 when he told his parents he couldn't come to dinner because he was in the middle of a game.

His father Stephen became frustrated and told his son – who regularly played games in his room at their home in Moorebank, south-west Sydney, from 11am until 3am – to look for somewhere to rent the next day.

The 56-year-old then walked into his home office and turned off the internet modem, and went into his son's room where he tried to remove cables from the computer.

Daniel Chapman, who had an interest in medieval weaponry, often kept knives next to his bed.

He picked up a hunting knife and stabbed his father in the back, then removed the weapon, which had a 14-centimetre blade, and walked into the kitchen where his mother Elaine Bell was having dinner.

He calmly told her: "I stabbed him".

According to agreed facts, Ms Bell tried to call an ambulance but was unable to get through because she dialled 999, the emergency number in the UK where she is originally from.

A neighbour called an ambulance at 8.35pm, but the situation was given a low priority because Chapman said his father had "cut his hands up". Ten minutes later, the neighbour called 000 again and told them there had been a stabbing.

Three ambulances ultimately responded at about 8.59pm, but the father-of-one died from blood loss on the way to hospital.

Chapman has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

On Friday, psychiatrist Dr Olav Nielssen told a Supreme Court sentencing hearing that Chapman has features of an autism spectrum disorder and has the defence of substantial impairment due to abnormality of the mind open to him.

Dr Nielssen said Chapman had been on an anti-depressant commonly known as Prozac, but had stopped taking it about two weeks before the incident and was experiencing withdrawal-related agitation when he lashed out at his father with "sudden, irrational anger".

He said Chapman was at "the extreme end of screen addiction" and had spent a lot of money on gaming.

"He seemed to be obsessed with it," Crown prosecutor Donna Daleo said.

"Yes," Dr Nielssen said.

Ms Bell gave evidence at the hearing and began to cry when she told the court she wanted her son to come home.

She said it had been "very stressful" to have her son behind bars for two years, including an incident where he was attacked and had his tooth knocked out, and she was frightened if he remained there any longer it would "destroy him".

Defence barrister Greg Smith, SC, said his client had mental health issues which obviously contributed to the offence. He said Chapman asked police in the hours after the stabbing if his father was going to be alright.

"He's done a terrible thing. He's killed his father. He didn't intend to kill his father," Mr Smith said.

"He has regrets now, in fact he's suffered quite a bit from guilt in prison. It's affected his sleep."

Mr Smith said his client has gained ambition in jail, now aspiring to get a job in metalwork, and wants to return home to help his mother.

"He seems to have a clear head now that he's not being distracted by video games," Mr Smith said.

"The best thing for him, we submit, is to be released as soon as possible so he can get on with treatment."

Chapman will be sentenced on November 16.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Just saw an ad about my health record trying to convince people not to opt out, it made some big claims about privacy and control over who sees it.

As far as I know nothing has changed and the legislation hasn't been updated, is that correct or did I miss this shitshow of a govt actually managing to pass a law?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
what game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

^ I kinda feel for that guy, because boomers are out of touch and irrational as gently caress about computers and videogames, and will do all sorts of batshit crazy stuff over them; the average 22 year old can't afford to live anywhere on their own, and being on a prozac prescription isn't average

Alright so I couldn't find anything about any Greens-adjacent people running in my local government elections, so I've just voted for the least LNP looking and sounding mayoral and councillor candidates available

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 6, 2018

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/betootaadvocate/status/1059313360418689024?s=21

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

NSWLabor.txt

https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/1059591143917142017?s=21

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/maxuthink/status/1059274281052327936

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
how the gently caress does attending storytime or swimming lessons for the child at the behest of a parasitic agency help improve single parent's employment prospects?

These welfare pest agencies are becoming a serious problem.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

You’ve been in opposition since 2011. How long does it take to become unfucked?

Why can’t NSW Labor do the one thing it’s good at and knife this oval office?

He is easily the worst current Labor leader.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Never heard of the Centre for Independent Studies but I feel like it's safe to assume that it's bad

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://jobsearch.gov.au/serviceproviders?ProviderType=PNE5&ExactWord=false

holy gently caress there are so many and a lot of them are also jobactive providers

worse than welfare cheats tbf

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Never heard of the Centre for Independent Studies but I feel like it's safe to assume that it's bad

quote:

The Centre for Independent Studies (CIS) is an Australian libertarian think tank. It was founded in 1976 by Greg Lindsay.[1] In 2018 Tom Switzer became the new Executive Director. The CIS focuses on classical liberal issues such as free market economics and reducing the size and scope of government.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Tonight I was at an association meeting at a cafe when an old guy walked up and told me the way to make money is to buy houses, install new kitchens and bathrooms, and flip them.

Thanks for the heads-up old dude, I'll get right on it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

You had me at Tom Switzer

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/sallymcmanus/status/1059608503013130240

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Also, yowza

https://twitter.com/allisonBeDemure/status/1059693432774377474

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've always said the cis can't be trusted.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

NTRabbit posted:

^ I kinda feel for that guy, because boomers are out of touch and irrational as gently caress about computers and videogames, and will do all sorts of batshit crazy stuff over them; the average 22 year old can't afford to live anywhere on their own, and being on a prozac prescription isn't average

Alright so I couldn't find anything about any Greens-adjacent people running in my local government elections, so I've just voted for the least LNP looking and sounding mayoral and councillor candidates available

He's an adult who stabbed his old man over a video game. :stare:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This attack is the only reason shorten is still around and everybody knows it

Its pathetic to even brag about it, "we've stuck with the same loser this many times :classiclol:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 6, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gridlocked posted:

He's an adult who stabbed his old man over a video game. :stare:

He's an adult with an unspecified psychiatric condition, off his meds, who stabbed his old man over a video game after the old man yanked all the cables out of the wall and told him he was throwing him out of the house, because he was playing an online game he couldn't immediately step away from to eat dinner. poo poo was hosed all round.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 6, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

NTRabbit posted:

He's an adult with an unspecified psychiatric condition, off his meds, who stabbed his old man over a video game after the old man yanked all the cables out of the wall and told him he was throwing him out of the house, because he was playing an online game he couldn't immediately step away from to eat dinner. poo poo was hosed all round.

Pleas don't kill your dad

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Mental illness as a mitigating factor, okay. "But he was in the middle of a game!!!" is really not relevant, it could have been any mild provocation, and to blame the victim for possibly not understanding video games is really loving bizarre.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They were both arseholes, nobody should kill someone else over that poo poo though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Satire is dead, just like John.
https://twitter.com/ajplumley/status/1059756829540941830/photo/1

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

King Pawn posted:

Mental illness as a mitigating factor, okay. "But he was in the middle of a game!!!" is really not relevant, it could have been any mild provocation, and to blame the victim for possibly not understanding video games is really loving bizarre.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the old man was yelling just a bit, because you don't go into someone's room and start pulling cables out of their computer while telling them to find a new place to live tomorrow when you're calm.

When your son has mental issues, is off his meds and apparently only has one joy in his life, barging into his room and starting to physically disassemble that joy is probably not the best course of action. Regardless of what that hobby actually is. It could just as well have been playing with model trains or painting miniature soldiers.

No poo poo the son shouldn't have stabbed his dad, but his dad could really have handled that better.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/07/platypus-eating-a-normal-insect-diet-could-ingest-at-least-69-drugs-research-reveals
N I C E