Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't think the market for "would rather have a pinky nail extra screen than a camera" is anywhere near deep enough to support a company making them as you seem to think it might be. like, it's not deep enough to support phones with keyboards, and that's actually a niche that doesn't detract from usability and that the people who want it are vocal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no need to support a company, just a model, and the design work involved is quite minimal. i agree we won't see it happen though, so very safe to bet either way v:shobon:v

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

given that no devices in the android space except samsungs generate profit and those only do so due to the name (and even then id wager only due to "anything but apple" sentiment not because what they are) theres a strong argument for no one making any android devices at all

why gently caress around with form factors and custom implementations of this and that when literally the best way to make money is to stop making the poo poo altogether?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

given that no devices in the android space except samsungs generate profit and those only do so due to the name (and even then id wager only due to "anything but apple" sentiment not because what they are) theres a strong argument for no one making any android devices at all

why gently caress around with form factors and custom implementations of this and that when literally the best way to make money is to stop making the poo poo altogether?

this though may be quite true, but if manufacturers insist on a thousand designs a year i am pretty sure there is more interesting options to consider than to do than knock-off custom deep learning chips

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is some primo "but why won't they make the phone *i* want???"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, that was my literal post yes, though then tempered with "and/or why bother making a phone at all". this making phones but making them ones no one wants seems a losing strategy overall (tax dodge of some sort?!)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/snazzyq/status/1057760511628963841?s=21

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are Huawei the ones who make the $1000 gaming phone?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i aint ever gonna buy an anroid but respect that screen on the back gimiick

at least own n embrace the notion of being part of the wack rear end bad phone segment :shrug:

kinda like that CAT branded fone that had a built in FLIR camera

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

seems unlikely to turn out a good idea unless there are much thinner screen assemblies than i expect, but neat not least in that the camera budget is then not spent on two separate ones

mostly though i too am very much of the opinion that it is at minimum a lot of fun seeing this sort of thing head to market

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fun seeing this sort of thing head to market

:hellyeah:

I only checkout anroid for the circus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Are Huawei the ones who make the $1000 gaming phone?

you mean the asus ROG phone or the razer phone?

either way, no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I find it funny that most tech people turn their nose up at front end work because it's easy and not real programming but if you gently caress it up people sure notice the most

writing anything that the 300lb gorilla interfaces directly with is going to be super difficult

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

writing anything that the 300lb gorilla interfaces directly with is going to be super difficult

yeah, programmers do make the worst users when it comes to guis

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

And here I always thought that Xiaomi was the premier Chinese Apple cloner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I cleared the earlier notifications but unless I'm braindead that's 6 notifications.
I'm not on a Google phone, but it's pretty clear 4 notifications isn't some required part of Pie

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

4 notifications is the requirement, but we like to consider it the "bare minimum" here at Tchotchke's

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i'm the 2 LTE signal strength meters with different values

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

it's a dual sim phone with two different providers tbf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that happens when you have two sims though idk if that's standard android behavior

ios stacks the indicators apparently

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

there are dual sim iphones?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
in mainland china, hong kong and macau

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209086

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

there are dual sim iphones?

the inxs, inxs maxx, and tenner have dual physical sim in china, hk, and makau, and dual esim on carriers that support it (which is tmo, att, and vzw in the us)

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

up your knockoff naming game son

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/11/7/18071220/xiaomi-airpods-airdots-price

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

they have a tacit agreement that one rips off the name and the other rips off the product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MguV4zQc3L0&t=5088s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so two years 'till apple makes a foldable iphone XIs+

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wonder how many fold/unfold cycles that can go through

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i wonder if the camera still works if you roll the phone into a cylindrical shape

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm just glad to see someone moving away from these too thin phone designs by making a phone that is an inch thick when folded

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there you go, tinyphoneailures. just get a foldsung and never unfold it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
pretty funny that the pre-smartphone era joke was that phones would get comically tiny, and now that trend has totally reversed and there’s no telling how big phones will get now that we have the technology to *checks notes* unfold them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

folds out phone like a cheap map, can no longer re-fold it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

when can i get a phone that unfurls like a scroll

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
take down the anime scrolls in your room and we’ll talk about it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jesus WEP posted:

when can i get a phone that unfurls like a scroll

it has to use papyrus font though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if it unfurls like one of those :toot: noisemakers it can use comic sans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

it has to use papyrus font though.

yes, it's a samsung

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

if it unfurls like one of those :toot: noisemakers it can use comic sans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*folds up phone decoratively, stuffs it in jacket pocket like pocket square*