Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
.NET standard 2.1 announcement - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/11/05/announcing-net-standard-2-1/

looks like a lot of this is about providing better performance (Span<T>s and ValueTask<T>s) and providing a cross-platform way to access what may be platform-specific capabilities (SIMD, dynamic code generation / interpretation / compilation).

My read: some people are using .NET Core and they want good performance, incl. when using async heavily.

e: whoops, standard 2.1 is still in-progress and will not be implemented by core or framework for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
nice, ConcurrentBag gained a Clear method!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

nice, ConcurrentBag gained a Clear method!

gw, we all considered this segway, but you went ahead and made it happen

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

you could also work someplace where the people above you really don’t give a poo poo

I know it’s impossible for you to conceive but it’s most definitely the case at some places

god i hope they're not promoting based on attire and appearance

the volumes it would speak to their taste

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

god i hope they're not promoting based on attire and appearance

the volumes it would speak to their taste

it's not about taste, it's about conformity and "belonging"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

gw, we all considered this segway, but you went ahead and made it happen

hey it took surprising effort, I had to remember how to "find on page" in mobilesafari's reader mode

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not about taste, it's about conformity and "belonging"

sneaking suspicion you're missing some context here bucko

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

sneaking suspicion you're missing some context here bucko

it’s very possible that the tribe in management at jawn’s firm are trash people who eat subway rats

in any case, you gotta look the part of you want a part

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it’s very possible that the tribe in management at jawn’s firm are trash people who eat subway rats

in any case, you gotta look the part of you want a part

jawn has worked basically exclusively at huge tech majors so you're v wrong

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im really sure this next pass at describing Literally All Employment is gonna go great tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

jawn has worked basically exclusively at huge tech majors so you're v wrong

i wouldn’t leap to that conclusion

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

JawnV6 posted:

im really sure this next pass at describing Literally All Employment is gonna go great tho

yeah. it's a lot less of a stretch to say "at some workplaces X" than to say "at all workplaces X" but that doesn't stop nbsd (or other poasters, on other topics)

nbsd's strongest universal arguments are basically when he's talking anthropologist stuff, that certain factors always matter to people. those arguments fall apart, though, if you ever run into an environment where "belongingness" is explicitly about your contribution and explicitly not about external, superficial conformity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
external, superficial conformity is always a factor you loving autist

the magnitude varies but it is never zero

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
we live in a society

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yospos is the only place in the world where “dress for success” is a controversial idea

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
of course this is the only industry in which “don’t eat pieces of your feet at a public speaking event” is relevant advice so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yospos is the only place in the world where “dress for success” is a controversial idea

nobody is saying that. They're saying you have a very shallow and idiosyncratic interpretation of what dressing for success means

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
metrics by which i judge my directs:
- do they know what the gently caress they're talking about
- do they get stuff done
- are they an unlikable rear end in a top hat
- do their peers rely on their technical expertise
- do they wear the right shoes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
- do they put shoes on when they leave their office to use the restroom
- are they at least wearing socks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
- how expensive are their pants
- is their suit properly tailored and not too ostentatious

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
The fashion thread: I'm glad jeans are the current hipste

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nobody is saying that. They're saying you have a very shallow and idiosyncratic interpretation of what dressing for success means

the broad point, aiui, is that you need to join the group if you want to succeed in it, and one common way to signal adherence to a group's values is with your attire. i doubt that people on Wall Street are literally saying that sneakers mean you are bad at banking. more like "professionalism is critical at Big Peon Exploiting Bank and dressing well is part of that". even when the dress code is "there is no dress code" it doesn't mean you can wear just anything. three guys at the same level come in to work, one in jeans and t shirt, one in a suit so nice i wouldn't know how to put it on, and one in board shorts, flip flops and a mesh tank top. at least one of them is getting weird looks

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

external, superficial conformity is always a factor you loving autist

the magnitude varies but it is never zero

my dude, I'm not going to bow down to your Superior Insights when your dominant theme is "everyone who does not universally agree with me is <stream of invective>"

looks like someone is using "autist" to mean "poorly socialized" in the process of completely failing to take part in an exchange. keep on Having A Normal One, have as many as you need

e: lol, this isn't fishmech btw. lord I need a new av

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
you did it thread. you found a topic worse than maven vs gradle.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
at least Maven enforces a dress code structure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when you see someone using maven you know they atleast are using good tools even if they themselves may not good. w/ gradle you know they looked at good tools and rejected them therefore you can reset assured they are not good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the broad point, aiui, is that you need to join the group if you want to succeed in it, and one common way to signal adherence to a group's values is with your attire. i doubt that people on Wall Street are literally saying that sneakers mean you are bad at banking. more like "professionalism is critical at Big Peon Exploiting Bank and dressing well is part of that". even when the dress code is "there is no dress code" it doesn't mean you can wear just anything. three guys at the same level come in to work, one in jeans and t shirt, one in a suit so nice i wouldn't know how to put it on, and one in board shorts, flip flops and a mesh tank top. at least one of them is getting weird looks

quick question in this scenario can I be wearing mesh jorts?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

quick question in this scenario can I be wearing mesh jorts?

seems like preferable attire for one selling they b-hole for a graphics card

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

other ideas for some reason controversial in yospos: getting ahead by kissing up to your boss and spending a few hours extra in the office

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

other ideas for some reason controversial in yospos: getting ahead by kissing up to your boss and spending a few hours extra in the office

Get outta here, class traitor

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

you’re a stupid piece of poo poo collaborator

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

working extra hours is the clearest sign your boss has failed you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just suck him off and be done with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

seems like preferable attire for one selling they b-hole for a graphics card

what are those things every dude in the US wears that goes under they butt cheeks but leaves the poo hole available? jock straps or something?

never seen one in real life. weird country ya got

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Captain Foo posted:

just suck him off and be done with it

ew what if he uses gradle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, i figured that'd be very obvious sarcastic commentary on the dress-for-success poo poo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

what are those things every dude in the US wears that goes under they butt cheeks but leaves the poo hole available? jock straps or something?

never seen one in real life. weird country ya got

those are specifically for holding cups in sports that need them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rjmccall posted:

those are specifically for holding cups in sports that need them

also for gym class in teh '40s

Adbot