Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just have a friend ferry them around on their t8 courier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

Just have a friend ferry them around on their t8 courier
Actually yeah this would work.

J
Jun 10, 2001

lurksion posted:

I don't think it's super poopsocky just because it is admittedly easy, but it's not an afternoon's work for a new player. I'll guess at maybe 10-15 hours?

Yep I'd agree 10-15 hours would be a good estimate for a brand new player that purely focused on getting 56 as soon as possible without outside assistance. You'd want to make sure to use your daily exp buff (200% exp for 1 hour or 100% exp for 2 hours), and get as much of the leveling process done on the weekend if you can since there is a 100% exp bonus on weekends. I'm not sure what the attendance rewards are like for a brand new account, they might throw enough free poo poo at you to afford a +15 weapon or something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It's hard to give any estimate for a brand new player because it doesn't account for getting distracted by other things that aren't grinding, how many days the hours are spread over, and how much prep work / research they do before starting. A new account could probably hit 56 in under 6 hours of actually playing if it's 1 hour per day and you went in knowing what to do to start.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
You probably should do at least some of the tutorial stuff at the start just so you can set waypoints. I'm not sure how much of it you have to do to unlock that though. The whole thing up to the boss scroll in Velia shouldn't take more than an hour first time through.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kiwillian posted:

You probably should do at least some of the tutorial stuff at the start just so you can set waypoints. I'm not sure how much of it you have to do to unlock that though. The whole thing up to the boss scroll in Velia shouldn't take more than an hour first time through.

I think you only need to get to western guard camp or something, but you may as well at least do it all the way to velia for the free inventory slots

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
This new event has finally made me pull the trigger on playing this after glancing at this thread since BDO was released in English. Going to research up some leveling guides. What are some options for decent newbie classes?

Edit: Everyone seems to be complaining about Mystics so Mystic it is to start!

Wask fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2018

treehaus
Jul 31, 2013

Chewbot posted:

Played BDO a lot about 2 years ago, got back into it like a day ago to check out "remastered". Frankly I find it hard to care about P2W when the end-game is 1000 hours away and I have no intention of being competitive.

Back in the day I got up to pro 5 in fishing. I checked the OP and saw this: "golden stationary fishing hotspots are gone".

Does that mean the sweet fishing areas that never caught junk don't work like that anymore? I went back to my old hangout and I've already caught two ancient relics in a couple minutes, so it still seems pretty decent.

edit: between this thread and BDO chat, why have I seen the word "trap" more in the last 2 days than the rest of my combined lifetime?

Ugh turn that horrible chat off

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, protip, always turn off server chat. The other ones are way more bearable.

The easiest way to get powergrinded is to just get a guild to shove you into a guild mission and then soak up the exp as your team murders a bunch of trash at hyper speed. It's how I got my first 50.

Alternately, just go run around and farm so enemies for a few hours. It's way quicker leveling than quests, and you can always come back to the quests after.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Wask posted:

This new event has finally made me pull the trigger on playing this after glancing at this thread since BDO was released in English. Going to research up some leveling guides. What are some options for decent newbie classes?

Edit: Everyone seems to be complaining about Mystics so Mystic it is to start!

Yeah mystic is great. She's top tier in every aspect of the game right now and is forgiving to play, which makes the elite pvp crowd really mad.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
With no connections, I've already made it to 35, so not doing too badly I think. Maybe 5 hours played. Exp definitely slowed down a little a little before 30, and slowed down a little bit as I got lost trying to follow this leveling guide with broken images and no real instruction on how to get to places. Dark Knight grinds real well.

Inventory is quite the limited resource, glad I keep stumbling across quests for free inventory. Just got a 15 day costume that seems to add to EXP too.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you have trouble getting to 56 get in the discord and you can probably find someone to leech xp from for a few minutes

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Semi trip report, yell at me if I'm doing anything wrong/dumb: I hit 56 and awakened via solo questing through the black spirit chain. Next on the list is farming up an Asula's accessory set, doing this fairy quest chain, then getting more inventory slots from life skill quests (I think).

I'm enjoying this confusing game much more than I thought I would. Going to buy a set of pets to have 5x T1 pets total and some more carry weight. I'm thinking of this as a $60 game since I feel I'll get that out of it for sure.

Parked an alt to fish in Velia at the hotspot and have yet to figure out this node/worker thing at all.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly it scratches whatever weird itch Mabinogi scratched for me, except with a more engaging combat system. I'm the weirdo who enjoys cooking food or fishing or playing conversation minigames.

Nodes are pretty simple once you get over the information overload. You need works, which you get from Worker Managers in the major cities. Workers need energy to buy (from the manager npc), lodging (bought at nodes from those little house icons using contribution points), and food to recharge their stamina (usually beer which you either cook yourself or buy from the market). Then when you have those, you go to some other nodes and activate them, and their resource nodes (which are smaller subnodes that pop up when you click on the bigger one on the map), and then click on said resource node and tell your worker to work it. From then on they'll just suck out resources from that node and shove them into the storage of whatever city they're from. That's all you really need to know to get started.

You can only have 3 pets out at once iirc, but if you've got multiple T1 pets you can breed a few of them together to get higher tier pets that have more skills and resource vacuum faster.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You can have 5 pets out at once now.

Also mabi's combat got completely changed and is not at all like what it was at launch. Basically all combat skills load instantly but some have cooldowns and windmill isn't a free invulnerability anymore or something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.ru.playblackdesert.com/News/Notice/Detail?boardType=1&boardNo=26

Russians getting poo poo on by their publisher

J
Jun 10, 2001

This is an insane poo poo show. Both GameNet and Pearl Abyss seem to be pointing the finger at each other too. Really curious to see how this ends up, if PA doesn't find a way to salvage this I could see it massively impacting sales in all the other regions.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
How many people are just gonna go play Crimson Desert Online rather than the official servers

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They already resolved it I guess

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What happened to the Russians?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Katt posted:

What happened to the Russians?

GameNet's contract to be the publisher for Black Desert in Russia expired recently. Pearl Abyss seems to be wanting to move to self-publishing the game, so they weren't going to renew the contract with gamenet. So at that point GameNet needs to transfer customer data over to Pearl Abyss. Apparently even Russia has some consumer data privacy laws that have to be followed during this process, which is where the legal squabble happened. Both companies were saying the other one was the problem. Pearl Abyss went all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Welp Gamenet won't give us the data so we have to start a new Russian server from scratch," which caused the whole poo poo show to really blow up. But then not long later they worked it out and Russians won't have to start from scratch.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I just started playing this, and my extreme hot take is that contribution points are the real XP and actually leveling your character is sorta incidental. :coolfish:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My Ranger was leveled to 49 purely from fishing, so that's the real game

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I will defeat mender

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

stump collector posted:

I will defeat mender

:ohdear:

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

E: I don't know how to read! I"m enjoying playing this anime princess Kratos tho

Great White Hope! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 8, 2018

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I figure I'm gonna be the single xboner in another game so hi!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drythe posted:

My Ranger was leveled to 49 purely from fishing, so that's the real game
I got to 60 without ever killing a monster after level 54? or so. Or doing anything other than cooking and processing.

Then they made more awful changes and I decided to never login again even though the changes didn't effect how I played the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

All the crafting and random skills sound pretty cool, but with the last post almost a month ago I'm wondering if this is pretty much dead? If it is, did people find a game with a similar plethora of skills and not-monster-killing-activities to move to?

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

All the crafting and random skills sound pretty cool, but with the last post almost a month ago I'm wondering if this is pretty much dead? If it is, did people find a game with a similar plethora of skills and not-monster-killing-activities to move to?

It recently came out with an expansion pack, and for a brief bit it was on the steam top seller's list, so for what it's worth I don't think the game itself is dead. Just maybe goon interest in it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played BDO a while back for a few weeks and enjoyed it. 80% of my playtime was spent in the character creator and I would say I enjoyed about 82% of my total playtime.

Because poo poo man, that character creator is incredible.

I was considering getting back into the game because I was bored but the Steam reviews of the new.. expansion? Or whatever? is really, really scathing and I remembered that the gameplay itself isn't great.

But making a new character though...

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BDO is fun to play until level 58 or so and then just becomes an unbelievable grind. Enhancing is awful. I enjoyed leveling though and got almost every class to 58-60.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's not terribly active at this moment. Me and tvdinna are both off playing ms2 more than anything else and afk money making in bdo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What's all changed since right before the sea boss got released?

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Been playing this for a while. I find that it's best played in bursts as opposed to being a day-to-day activity. The gameplay doesn't grab me too much in a longterm sense. Everything is a mile wide but an inch deep --- and highly repetitive. I'll definitely drop it once something more appealing comes along. (I have high hopes for Ashes of Creation... we'll see.)

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote

Drythe posted:

What's all changed since right before the sea boss got released?

Drieghan is out (3 meh grind spots, world boss, new crystals, new blue armor, and craftable awakenings that are only 1 or 2 ap worse than dandelion)
Archer class launched globally
Pet exchange reworked
New gathering mini game
Valk’s cry added to loyalty shop (an item for getting +10 fs)
You can exchange costumes for cron stones or valk’s cry
Blue/green weapons/armor/accessories can drop enchanted
Renown is gone
P2W alchemy costume
Afk fishing nerfs (all white fish are now green and grana hotspots fixed)
Alliances (guild’s can group together for node wars)

In the next 6 months NA/EU should get:
New marketplace system
Lifeskill masteries and equipment
Battle royale mode
Another t9 horse
New horse armors

KR gets the next expansion sometime in the next 6 months.

There’s a new war system (calpheon node owners vs valencia node owners) being worked on as well.

KR just got some nice qol changes in their latest patch: daily/weekly scrolls stack and don’t expire, valencia accessories can be exchanged for yona’s fragments (dp accessories are worth a bit more now)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Log in today/tomorrow only on a character that's completed the main story questline and talk to your black spirit and do the lantern wish quest to get a random piece of boss gear.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

J posted:

Log in today/tomorrow only on a character that's completed the main story questline and talk to your black spirit and do the lantern wish quest to get a random piece of boss gear.
I logged in and deeply regret it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 1, 2019

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

J posted:

when does this go away? I haven't logged in in a long while.. maybe it's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

J posted:

Got a dandelion box that I'll probably never unpack woo?