Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like many early access games it wound up wildly overtuned by a vocal contingent of hardcore fans.

Honestly, at least on normal difficulty, the final boss was the only thing I thought presented any challenge at all after playing for four hours or so. But then my success rate against it was something like 1/20, with the 1 being the time I said "fine I'll just use 2 crossbow traps and jump around a lot", so it effectively ruined the game for me. The higher difficulties look pretty miserable.

exquisite tea posted:

I think everybody's impression of Dead Cells is that it would have been a lot better if they just imported its combat and stages into a more traditional Metroidvania. It really gains nothing positive from being a roguelike.

It's definitely not a roguelike tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah that sounds terrible.

It's so counterproductive too. You have this silky smooth gameplay people enjoy so let's burn everyone out on repeating the first level. Dicks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

For the most part, Valiant Hearts is a thoughtful, touching and (though it's got a cartoony style) pretty realistic portrayal of WW1. It's pretty cool storytelling that works because it feels plausible and well researched.

And then you get a chase sequence set to Flight of the Bumblebees where a cackling, skull-hatted evil German Baron is chasing you down in a steampunk mech-tank.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's very good, but what I really want is the option to skip MJ/Miles scenes, at least on a second playthrough. Such a blemish on an otherwise great game (in a genre that doesn't normally grab me), especially going back to redo them. I want to go back and run through the game again, but I just can't stomach them for a while.

I recently beat NG+ and, yeah, oof those parts really suck the wind out of the game's sales when you do them again. Hell, even the first time I did them I didn't really like them.

The second time through really showed the seams in those sections, when you can just wander through heavily guarded bases pretty much avoiding everyone's gaze without even having to think about it, since the game guides you along the correct path so obviously.

The DLC has one section too. I saw it coming a mile away and when it came up I just groaned.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's definitely not a roguelike tho

What? Yes it is. When you die, you lose all progress. There are some elements that are carried between playthroughs, because full-on-permadeath is frustrating and only appeals to a core set of gamers, but it's still a roguelike.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Nov 6, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Dead Cell bosses are really bad. Even the first one that just randomly hurts you if it touches you and then leaps across the room at you is stupid.

e: when it was still in EA the only real way to kill bosses was with grenades or trap items because melee was too risky and you get like 5 arrows before they're all stuck in the boss and you can't ever shoot them again

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My problem with dead cells is that the ledge grab is too sensitive. Probably half the damage I take comes from trying to drop into a pit and accidentally climbing up the other side of it instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead Cells also features a power up system for your character but neglects to mention that enemies are scaled based on how many powerups you collected so there is a non-intuitive sweet spot where you shouldnt collect more as all it does is make the game harder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Dead Cells also features a power up system for your character but neglects to mention that enemies are scaled based on how many powerups you collected so there is a non-intuitive sweet spot where you shouldnt collect more as all it does is make the game harder.

Wait really?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Wait really?

Yep. Its not immediate, any powerups collected in an area will make you stronger than that area but as soon as you transition all enemies get powere up to you. This is why bosses turn into unexpected slogs for some players because theres always a transition before them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that just killed my desire to ever load up the game again. It has lots of good stuff in it but wow, tactically avoiding power ups is never fun.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been on a bit of an Anno binge lately, in anticipation of 1800 coming out in a couple months.

And I've gone through the games backwards, so 2205, 2070, 1404.
(Which was probably a very bad decision, due to QoL stuff coming into the series over time.)

And 1404 is insanely frustrating to play.
There are characters in the top right who talk occasionally.
In 2070 and 2205 this would mostly happen when you clicked on their ship, or had a building selected for a while. This is alright.

In 1404 whenever someone trades with you they spawn a popup in the top right, where they'll comment on the trade.
Meaning that if you trade on multiple islands, you'll just be bombarded by fuckers complimenting you on a trade well done.
Just a constant loving barrage of comments, perpetually.

It makes me want to disable trading entirely, but that'll leave a massive hole in my pocket.
(Especially since I'm playing with iaam which makes the game more complex, and harder to turn a huge profit, due to needing more buildings and resources.)

The trading comment spam is worsened by the fact that every single time you switch your building menu over to Oriental buildings, the ol' Vizir pops up and usually comments on it.
(The game focuses on building & trade between europe and the middle east, giving you access to 2 separate production trees. )

I really want to play the game and enjoy it, but it is so immensely draining for the game to constantly go:

AHHH A GOOD PRICE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE
A GOOD TRADE
AHH I SEE YOU loving LOVE ORIENTAL BUILDINGS, THAT'S RAD
A GOOD TRADEAHHH A GOOD PRICE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE
A GOOD TRADE
HI I'M THE VIZIR, WONDERING WHY THE gently caress Y'ALL OCCIDENTAL PEEPS ARE HERE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
HI U R REALLY GOOD AT BUILDING ORIENTAL ARCHITECTURE.

I should probably just disable voices entirely, but that leaves out a lot of important stuff, since I'm still kinda figuring things out.
In 2070 there's just a small log at each trading outpost showing recent trades, instead of the game shoving them in your face constantly.

On top of that there are perpetual voice announcements about OH NO PRODUCTION STOPPED.
Yes, because the stores of wood is full on that island.
There are a lot of products where if you have a small production of them on an island you're likely to max out the storage, and then you get even more notifications straight into your ear.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Nov 6, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

I learned about this the other week and it explained a lot of inconsistencies I’d seen in the game while also making it a lot harder to enjoy. Getting powerups once they no longer provide more health is actually making you more fragile, and getting powerups that aren’t your main damage color just to get health is effectively making you do less damage. It’s really backwards and no the game does not mention this anywhere.

Dead cells is good but it is really held back by wanting to be too “hardcore,” which shows in its bosses first and foremost. The game is at its best when you’re playing 100% reflexively with your subconscious mind and just gliding around levels killing and dodging at high speed. bosses slam that poo poo to a halt while also punishing you for using any of the piles of gear that’s fun for normal levels but bad for bosses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Digirat posted:

I learned about this the other week and it explained a lot of inconsistencies I’d seen in the game while also making it a lot harder to enjoy. Getting powerups once they no longer provide more health is actually making you more fragile, and getting powerups that aren’t your main damage color just to get health is effectively making you do less damage. It’s really backwards and no the game does not mention this anywhere.

Dead cells is good but it is really held back by wanting to be too “hardcore,” which shows in its bosses first and foremost. The game is at its best when you’re playing 100% reflexively with your subconscious mind and just gliding around levels killing and dodging at high speed. bosses slam that poo poo to a halt while also punishing you for using any of the piles of gear that’s fun for normal levels but bad for bosses.
It's especially stupid because they have difficulty options. They could have put in unique mechanics at higher difficulties to appeal to players who enjoy that.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

SubNat posted:

I've been on a bit of an Anno binge lately, in anticipation of 1800 coming out in a couple months.

And I've gone through the games backwards, so 2205, 2070, 1404.
(Which was probably a very bad decision, due to QoL stuff coming into the series over time.)

And 1404 is insanely frustrating to play.
There are characters in the top right who talk occasionally.
In 2070 and 2205 this would mostly happen when you clicked on their ship, or had a building selected for a while. This is alright.

In 1404 whenever someone trades with you they spawn a popup in the top right, where they'll comment on the trade.
Meaning that if you trade on multiple islands, you'll just be bombarded by fuckers complimenting you on a trade well done.
Just a constant loving barrage of comments, perpetually.

It makes me want to disable trading entirely, but that'll leave a massive hole in my pocket.
(Especially since I'm playing with iaam which makes the game more complex, and harder to turn a huge profit, due to needing more buildings and resources.)

The trading comment spam is worsened by the fact that every single time you switch your building menu over to Oriental buildings, the ol' Vizir pops up and usually comments on it.
(The game focuses on building & trade between europe and the middle east, giving you access to 2 separate production trees. )

I really want to play the game and enjoy it, but it is so immensely draining for the game to constantly go:

A GOOD TRADE
AHH I SEE YOU loving LOVE ORIENTAL BUILDINGS, THAT'S RAD
A GOOD TRADEAHHH A GOOD PRICE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE
A GOOD TRADE
HI I'M THE VIZIR, WONDERING WHY THE gently caress Y'ALL OCCIDENTAL PEEPS ARE HERE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
A GOOD TRADE
HI U R REALLY GOOD AT BUILDING ORIENTAL ARCHITECTURE.

I should probably just disable voices entirely, but that leaves out a lot of important stuff, since I'm still kinda figuring things out.
In 2070 there's just a small log at each trading outpost showing recent trades, instead of the game shoving them in your face constantly.

On top of that there are perpetual voice announcements about OH NO PRODUCTION STOPPED.
Yes, because the stores of wood is full on that island.
There are a lot of products where if you have a small production of them on an island you're likely to max out the storage, and then you get even more notifications straight into your ear.

Absolutely, positively, under no circumstances, should EVER have voices on in 1404. That dipshit from the Orient blabbing every time you misclick and hit those buildings instead of what you wanted WILL drive you insane. Drag the info toolbar on the left side up and down to have a larger backlog of what was done and what is active. That'll help quite a bit. You honestly will not miss anything by turning voices off, other than a stress headache because Northburg will not shut the gently caress up.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Apparently, devs have said this won't be sticking around, which is nice if true.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The inability to give out a simple "gg" in SFV.
I'm sure crossplay and all that is a factor but it'd be nice to have some canned responses like Guilty Gear Xrd or something.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Overwatch was fun on release but after really bad handling by blizzard, horrible balance patches, obnoxiously designed characters, almost all of the good players have been driven away and now all I see is incredibly toxic people yelling at each other.

Between the game itself being not as fun as it used to be by LEAGUES, and the community being so awful, I just don't think it's worth playing anymore. What a shame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

aegof posted:

Apparently, devs have said this won't be sticking around, which is nice if true.

A year in early access and 6 months following full release and they realize maybe this system is terrible and worth fixing is good but not inspiring.

The fact they still plan to keep damage caps on bosses for the forseeable future means the other dumb issue of "dealing lump sum damage is a fools errand" will stay even longer.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Agent355 posted:

Overwatch was fun on release but after really bad handling by blizzard, horrible balance patches, obnoxiously designed characters, almost all of the good players have been driven away and now all I see is incredibly toxic people yelling at each other.

Between the game itself being not as fun as it used to be by LEAGUES, and the community being so awful, I just don't think it's worth playing anymore. What a shame.

I just want one person on a team of 6 who can shoot down a pharah. i am not that person which is why i usually play tank or support

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kruller posted:

Absolutely, positively, under no circumstances, should EVER have voices on in 1404. That dipshit from the Orient blabbing every time you misclick and hit those buildings instead of what you wanted WILL drive you insane. Drag the info toolbar on the left side up and down to have a larger backlog of what was done and what is active. That'll help quite a bit. You honestly will not miss anything by turning voices off, other than a stress headache because Northburg will not shut the gently caress up.

Yeah, I'm extremely partial to just turning all the voices off the next time I sit down with it.

I also tried to do the campaign for a bit, but it's just a constant torrent of people talking into your ear as you go. (And then the campaign hardlocked because the Iaam mod messed with progression in a way that locked me out of completing one of the chapters. )

I'm kind of amazed at what a barrage of frustration it is, compared to the way more toned back 2070 & 2205. (Though both of them still suffer quite a bit, but atleast that's mostly from quests. )

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only way to play Overwatch is mystery heroes. No slam picking Hanzo. Nobody demanding you change characters to fill voids. Seldom any talking at all.

Plus if you kill the Mercy you killed a healer and that's a good thing because now they're down a healer who won't immediately be back in the fight.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kitfox88 posted:

I just want one person on a team of 6 who can shoot down a pharah. i am not that person which is why i usually play tank or support

Rein points shield forward
Doomfist died in front of it
Brigitte is with a shield up behind rein's shield
Dva's trying to flank
Junkrat's randomly plopping grenades
Widow's dead (killed by pharah)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Vic posted:

Rein points shield forward
Doomfist died in front of it
Brigitte is with a shield up behind rein's shield
Dva's trying to flank
Junkrat's randomly plopping grenades
Widow's dead (killed by pharah)

What's a Top 500 Junkrat main doing playing in the mud with these losers

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can absolutely turn off the trade notifications in Anno 1404 without disabling voices. Pretty sure it’s in the gameplay settings.

I personally don’t mind the normal voices so much since they’re the only way I’ll remember to refill my Norias (god, gently caress having to tear away from what I’m doing to spend 100 gold to refill those) and I generally use the ‘your storehouses are full’ to either redistribute supplies or sell off the excess.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Len posted:

The only way to play Overwatch is mystery heroes. No slam picking Hanzo. Nobody demanding you change characters to fill voids. Seldom any talking at all.

Plus if you kill the Mercy you killed a healer and that's a good thing because now they're down a healer who won't immediately be back in the fight.

I agree 100% with this. Mystery Heroes is fun and you feel like you've made a difference if you off a healer. Plus it's 9000% less toxic than QP, and 200,000,000% less toxic than competitive.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

aegof posted:

What's a Top 500 Junkrat main doing playing in the mud with these losers

please don't insult my best dps character tyvm

dying over a trap that people get stuck in so the death bombs get them never gets old

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

please don't insult my best dps character tyvm

dying over a trap that people get stuck in so the death bombs get them never gets old
He's a good character and it's a shame OW isn't fun now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Persona 3 dancing game has a demo up and neither song on it are bangers ):

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's a good character and it's a shame OW isn't fun now

yep. i used to enjoy ranked because people tried and they weren't too toxic a few yeras ago, but i've never gotten higher than when i initially placed high gold then just slowly sank down to low silver. everyone here's either mad as poo poo that they can't play or seem to have purposefully tanked their poo poo down to here so they can smurf

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

No joke my interest in OW rock bottomed after they nerfed Hog's hook, then nerfed his shotgun, then nerfed his hook AGAIN for no drat reason, even more when he was one of the best counters to the stupid hyperactive assassin characters.

"OHHH BUT UUUH WE DON'T WANT CHARACTERS THAT CAN JUST INSTA-DELETE PEOPLE, HE'S FILLING A NEW ROLE NOW!"

And then they released fuckin Doomfist literally right after saying this, who goes on to insta-delete people and suddenly that excuse is nowhere to be found.

Oh yeah and all the while the game was still decided by which sweaty rear end Genji player on either team was better, woopee, fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every event I log in, bust my rear end for the event boxes from arcade, tell myself I'll play the game "for real" sometime, then go back to ignoring the game entirely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

Every event I log in, bust my rear end for the event boxes from arcade, tell myself I'll play the game "for real" sometime, then go back to ignoring the game entirely.

If it's not arcade it's not worth playing. Everyone else takes it way too seriously

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i hate good tracers and good pharahs, both because i have bad twitch reflexes and can't aim well. at least before sym's, what, 4th rework i could use her lock on beam to delete tracers who didn't have the smarts to pull back, but they had to take that away and make it incredibly less useful. :shrug:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m pretty sure OW is only kept in relevance because some people really really want to gently caress the characters.

I can’t think of one thing that it brings to the table that would make it unique or interesting over even the most bog standard Call of Duty game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

moosecow333 posted:

I’m pretty sure OW is only kept in relevance because some people really really want to gently caress the characters.

I can’t think of one thing that it brings to the table that would make it unique or interesting over even the most bog standard Call of Duty game.

It partially is that, being able to make tons of fanart and ship characters and feel some kind of fondness for them alongside a ton of other people all doing their own things there does wonders, but it's also very accessible, a blizzard game; so you can assume it'll keep getting patched and supported almost indefinitely, has a colorful and poppy aesthetic which is very appealing when so much still wants to be dull as dirt reeeeelism, got in on the 'hero shooter' genre really early and gets to be called the game that 'defined it' or whatever, it's a handful of factors that came together in the best way Blizz could've asked for to make a super popular game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

Is this mode a permanent thing you can play anytime now? When I played it was the only fun I had in the game and then they removed it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

Is this mode a permanent thing you can play anytime now? When I played it was the only fun I had in the game and then they removed it.

yeah when i picked it up again for a couple of weeks last summer it was always available and yeah, it's what i did 90% of the time and i had fun

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Barudak posted:

A year in early access and 6 months following full release and they realize maybe this system is terrible and worth fixing is good but not inspiring

At no point have they ever had a reasonable grasp on how to balance character growth through those stupid stat scrolls. They should really just remove them; they add nothing to the game at all. You already get stronger by finding better weapons and equipment, that should be enough for a 30-minute action game.

Nuclear Throne doesn’t have any kind of incremental upgrades like that and the balance and difficulty scaling in that game is impeccable because as the maps get harder, you get bigger guns. Huh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Digirat posted:

Yeah it's one of the non-cycling arcade games and the only mode I'll touch outside of event modes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Mystery Heroes is annoying because most of the time I get a character that I've played only long enough to realise that I don't like playing as that character, and I can't even throw myself off a cliff anymore to reroll. I don't even have an opportunity to practice with that character since I die as soon as I see the enemy team.