Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hey. Behave you two. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So, essentially my sentiment was just that yes, while initiatives are a thing, then leftists should absolutely be using them and pushing for good reforms via them, but I still think they are by and large undemocratic nonsense that heavily favors the ability of wealthy individuals and corporations to essentially purchase their very own laws. I think reforming them to the point that they cannot be abused in that way would be good, however I'm open to other suggestions.

Lightning Knight, if you feel that makes me "the dumbest person on the internet" then I'd happily eat a probe or a ban for it.

My last comment about taking meds was probably lovely and I do apologize, mental health care is not a joke and i'm on the net irl has openly posted about their struggles with mental health in the past. Hang in there.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 6, 2018

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DrNutt posted:

So, essentially my sentiment was just that yes, while initiatives are a thing, then leftists should absolutely be using them and pushing for good reforms via them, but I still think they are by and large undemocratic nonsense that heavily favors the ability of wealthy individuals and corporations to essentially purchase their very own laws. I think reforming them to the point that they cannot be abused in that way would be good, however I'm open to other suggestions.

Lightning Knight, if you feel that makes me "the dumbest person on the internet" then I'd happily eat a probe or a ban for it.

Your biggest mistake was not telling them to turn on their monitor instead of to take their meds.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lmao Boeing doesn't even do exit interviews as a standard practice.

Smart of them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You have no idea how bad I want to vandalize one of those posters. It's such absolute bullshit.

Like they're bragging about making the buildings not look like slumlord housing. Like fixing the bathrooms so poo poo doesn't run down the walls is really something to pop your suspenders about.

The building I work in is getting the bathrooms renovated this month.

The toilet in one of the stalls has been leaking since I started working there a year ago and there's a sink clogged at least once a day. Also the hot water stops working on the regular.

I uhhh wasn't sure what I expected when I started working behind the fence.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey. Behave you two. :mad:

Sorry I'll quit posting like I'm on CSPAM when I'm not on CSPAM. or quit being an rear end in a top hat generally

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

karthun posted:

The Amazon head tax is a horrid idea and should instead be a progressive income tax, but good luck with that.

I won't get into the head tax itself, but can we at least agree that a company writing a check to start a referendum drive to repeal a law that was unanimously passed by the elected representatives of the people and getting that law repealed because of it is just maybe possibly ever-so-slightly not the best thing in the universe for the concept of representative democracy?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

I won't get into the head tax itself, but can we at least agree that a company writing a check to start a referendum drive to repeal a law that was unanimously passed by the elected representatives of the people and getting that law repealed because of it is just maybe possibly ever-so-slightly not the best thing in the universe for the concept of representative democracy?

It's pretty much impossible to avoid. You'd have to have publicing financing and strict firewalls against political spending to even have a stab at it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's pretty much impossible to avoid. You'd have to have publicing financing and strict firewalls against political spending to even have a stab at it.
It's not! Just don't have a system for referenda/initiatives! It's actually really, really easy!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ok fair, i'm an idiot. I was talking too generally.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'd be a bit more okay with abolishing initiatives if we had a more robust electoral system that allowed for more than two parties.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DrNutt posted:

My last comment about taking meds was probably lovely and I do apologize, mental health care is not a joke and i'm on the net irl has openly posted about their struggles with mental health in the past. Hang in there.

Of all the criticisms to make of the initiative process, I don't think you can really call it undemocratic. It is in fact direct democracy, with all of the problems that might entail.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The people directly voting to overturn some poo poo passed by the legislature is a feature, not a bug.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Of all the criticisms to make of the initiative process, I don't think you can really call it undemocratic. It is in fact direct democracy, with all of the problems that might entail.
Having a citizen vote on every law that passed would arguably be democratic. Only having a citizen vote on the laws that corporations want to pay a bunch of money for is not what I would describe as "democratic." Democracy is more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what options appear on the dinner menu.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 7, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Initiatives appear to be democratic on the surface, but when you get into the nitty gritty and realize corporations hire signature gatherers that try to get signatures using... dubious methods, and then pump millions of dollars into misleading advertisements, well... it doesn't feel democratic at all!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Legislatrues appear to be democratic on the surface, but when you get into the nitty gritty and realize corporations hire lobbyists that try to get compliance using... dubious methods, and then pump millions of dollars into misleading advertisements, well... it doesn't feel democratic at all!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I mean it sounds like the problem in your opinion is that the people don't directly vote on ENOUGH laws, which I don't disagree with at all

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

pseudorandom name posted:

Legislatrues appear to be democratic on the surface, but when you get into the nitty gritty and realize corporations hire lobbyists that try to get compliance using... dubious methods, and then pump millions of dollars into misleading advertisements, well... it doesn't feel democratic at all!
Yeah that's very true, is your point that ballot initiatives are ok, because legislatures have been objectively corrupted by their donor base? Of the two mechanisms, it's at least theoretically possible to have a non-corrupt legislator, but there's no way to get an issue on a ballot initiative without someone spending a lot of money.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No way other than volunteer labor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

No way other than volunteer labor.

How many initiatives in the past ten years have gotten on the ballot using solely volunteer signature gatherers in Washington State? Oregon? California?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

How many initiatives in the past ten years have gotten on the ballot using solely volunteer signature gatherers in Washington State? Oregon? California?

But it would be possible to do so if enough people got behind the bill. Show me the incorruptible legislators who have never taken a dime from anyone.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
No big shock here but it's been called for Maria Cantwell in WA and Kate Brown in OR.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hahaha, gently caress you Dino Rossi.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Solkanar512 posted:

Has it been called? It does look bad for him :)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

Heh, more like Dino Lossi.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

But it would be possible to do so if enough people got behind the bill. Show me the incorruptible legislators who have never taken a dime from anyone.

Show me the initiative where this actually happened.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I-1631 isn't passing though flawed as it was I would have gladly traded I-1639 for it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peachfart posted:

More like Dino LLLossi.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Peachfart posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/1060027757986406400

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

so PDX DSA has been putting pressure on the Blazers to end their partnership with leupold & stevens, a local optics manufacturer that supplies the IDF. they sponsor a "hometown heros" presentation at each blazers home game and, well, this is what happens when you accidentally pick a vet who is active in their local chapter

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Carbon fee is failing and the soda tax prevention are winning, loving dark money.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
So dumb that bonds require 60%, we're never getting this new school built. They're talking about moving to year round schools where the students would go in different shifts we're so overcrowded.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Carbon fee is failing and the soda tax prevention are winning, loving dark money.

Don't blame dark money. Blame people who care more about cheap soft drinks than climate change. Dark money is an easy out. It's actually the electorate that are the assholes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

xrunner posted:

Don't blame dark money. Blame people who care more about cheap soft drinks than climate change. Dark money is an easy out. It's actually the electorate that are the assholes.

I mean yeah WA State has always been anti tax in any form, but all the ads I saw on TV were blatant misrepresentations of what 1631 and 1634 was. 1634 feels unconstitutional and I would hope would be challenged.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
:ssh: it's both

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
get hosed dino

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

It would have been possible for Bernie Sanders to win a write-in campaign in 2016, but I thought we were discussing reality, not magical fairy unicorn land.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

It would have been possible for Bernie Sanders to win a write-in campaign in 2016, but I thought we were discussing reality, not magical fairy unicorn land.

As it is with your talk about the possibility of incorruptible candidates. Initiatives are no more prone to being co-opted than candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

As it is with your talk about the possibility of incorruptible candidates. Initiatives are no more prone to being co-opted than candidates.

I don't recall saying anything about incorruptible candidates. Citation?