Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they must have liked the code of conduct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rjmccall posted:

those are specifically for holding cups in sports that need them

ugh a "cup" isnt like a mug right? its not for drinking from? its for protecting ya jennies against what? idk? gay grab?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s for protecting the balls from being hit by balls

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
well you could drink from one but that's not explicitly what it's for, no

i can see how you wouldn't have much need for that sort of thing given your national sport of homoerotic soccer

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

echinopsis posted:

ugh a "cup" isnt like a mug right? its not for drinking from? its for protecting ya jennies against what? idk? gay grab?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jockstrap

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

other encyclopedias would leave you wondering and wouldnt show you the rear view of a man wearing a jockstrap, so +1 for wikipedia

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

rjmccall posted:

well you could drink from one but that's not explicitly what it's for, no

i can see how you wouldn't have much need for that sort of thing given your national sport of homoerotic soccer

they would get in the way of ball grabbing, yes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
paging tef to the grey general programming thread

someone is earnestly asking what RESTful means

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

use an ORM to implement a RESTful service atop your application that clients can make their own ORMs talk to

then use that for synchronization via queues

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eschaton posted:

use an ORM to implement a RESTful service atop your application that clients can make their own ORMs talk to

hell of good poo poo, op. ship it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

machine learning orm that figures out where to put your data for u

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pokeyman posted:

paging tef to the grey general programming thread

someone is earnestly asking what RESTful means

look what you made me do

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tef posted:

look what you made me do

ahahaha that’s awesome

people need to know

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Krankenstyle posted:

machine learning orm that figures out where to put your data for u

will only be complete when it always lerns to just throw your data in the garbage where it belongs

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

eschaton posted:

queues are just bottlenecks waiting to be hit - this thing needs the disruptor pattern, whatever it is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lutha Mahtin posted:

will only be complete when it always lerns to just throw your data in the garbage where it belongs

yes please

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pokeyman posted:

ahahaha that’s awesome

people need to know

i'm being fishmeched by suspicious dish

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
today i learned that RESTful doesn’t mean “implementing REST” apparently

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
that's because it doesn't mean anything at all, op

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
btw those posts in the grey thread were p interesting tef. thank

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

TheFluff posted:

that's because it doesn't mean anything at all, op

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

i hope you realize that i still respect you, your talent and your words even if we have differing opinions about api design.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
get a room already

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tef posted:

better that than the reverse!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I funnel all protocols I design through http and json not because it's correct but to make things easier for the australopithecines who'll succeed me. server side guy reciprocates my disdain with a filter that injects end-to-end cache-disabling directives server-wide. a theoretical internet wise guy remarks "your dataset fits in an ethernet frame" and I stop worrying

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Janitor Prime posted:

get a room already

what do you think your posting in

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

what do you think your posting in

:nms:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hackbunny posted:

I funnel all protocols I design through http and json not because it's correct but to make things easier for the australopithecines who'll succeed me. server side guy reciprocates my disdain with a filter that injects end-to-end cache-disabling directives server-wide. a theoretical internet wise guy remarks "your dataset fits in an ethernet frame" and I stop worrying

meanwhile i've been getting more obsessive about the bit-packing to fit things into L1's over the years; there is variety to the work-related afflictions one can acrue over time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
And right now I work on game netcode where we aggressively measure the sizes of UDP packets down to the bit level

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

down to the bit level

'huh, it's always a multiple of 8, weird'

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

'huh, it's always a multiple of 8, weird'

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean sure but if we know that this struct is going to be on average 10 bits then we can send 3 of them in a single 4-byte word, rather than padding up to 16 bits and sending in 6 bytes. So the bit measure is helpful for knowing how much room we have left.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Suspicious Dish posted:

i hope you realize that i still respect you, your talent and your words even if we have differing opinions about api design.

i hope you realize you are probably really bad at your job if you have this much trouble with the fielding thesis

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you guys are convincing me that i understand it just fine but i don't see how hardcoding "@albums" instead of "/albums" in your code is this mindblowing idea

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Suspicious Dish posted:

you guys are convincing me that i understand it just fine but i don't see how hardcoding "@albums" instead of "/albums" in your code is this mindblowing idea

who said anything about hardcoding?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

who said anything about hardcoding?

tef did. Or, rather, he said "yep" when I asked about it

tef posted:

quote:

Instead of hardcoding "/albums" in our program, we now hardcode "@albums" and expect that as some data somewhere in our response, which we then now fetch. I'm glad we figured out which problem this solves: it solves the problem of the server writer changing the URLs around maybe sometimes.

Yep!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

he was replying to your assertion about changing URLs. tef is 100% right here and you come off as someone who hasn't made even the barest attempt to understand

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
rest is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the big deal

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

give it a rest already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

what has rest done for me lately?