Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

I don't think it was because the player killed the character's friends and family, as adventurers are generally spawned in ex nihilo, so they don't have any previous relationships, but they do, in fact, still have a "Soul", which is the game-mechanical part which creatures in Dwarf Fortress keep their thoughts and feelings in.

And in the case of a player character adventurer they aren't in control, the player is, so if they don't like violence, well...

There was a bug a while ago where every time you went to sleep you changed which entity you were possessing, so you could wake up as a demon in hell, then sleep and become a peasant or whatever. So it wasn't impossible to bodyhop and do that.

You triggered it by going to sleep on an ice sheet, then letting it melt while you're unconscious. Since your body moved during the sleep timeskip, it detached your soul.

Of course the other undertalesy bug is what happens when you systematically annihilate all intelligent life in the DF world

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46033.0

quote:

A new adventurer was sent to try and kill the last two--the first wolf actually got the drop on one, killing her, mainly because one too many instances of DF were open and DF Companion wasn't super-powering the right adventurer. But I went with it; and checked legends--there was now one wolf left in the forest, and one wolf in a cave, who now had a name. Last adventurer set out, killed both. Then the adventurer walked around the circle of forest for a year of in-game time.

No more wolves ever appeared. Legends specifically records 0 wolves in the Outdoor Animal Populations. Now, that doesn't mean random encounters stopped--as the wolf population dipped, an increasing number of false alarms happened, meaning fast-travel stopped, 'T' was blocked for a few turns because "You Must Survive the Ambush", but there was nothing. Nothing in sight, and DF Companion read nothing in memory. Once the wolf population dipped to single digits there were about three of these false alarms for every actual encounter with a wolf. Once the wolf population reached zero, these false alarms still came up as often as normal encounters might...but no wolves ever appeared in a year of walking around the same thirteen world map squares.

... but nobody came.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm a dirty cheater, but it's interesting to note that wait, do we still need these? er, anyway, the game's save files actually do save all of the information you gave during the vessel sequence, including if you answered honestly. I'm probably years late to the theory fest, but I do wonder if the idea of creating a vessel was interrupted by someone or something else, signalled by the very sudden transition in narration style and visuals ... in that way, it makes sense that, if your soul has been diverted from what you were doing and stuffed into Kris, they would not be terribly fond of it. I think it's worth noting that nowhere is it suggested that Kris is left without any soul -- they've just removed yours -- and it's possible that this act may have pushed them over the edge..

Also, there's a handful of messages that are readied for display, but are intended to be overwritten by an actual event before being shown:

quote:

gml_Object_obj_npc_facing_Other_10: "* Is that a cut on your face^1, or part of your eye?/%"
gml_Object_obj_npc_room_Other_10: "* The gash weaves down as if you cry./%"
gml_Object_obj_npc_room_animated_Other_10: "* The pain itself is reason why./%"

gml_Object_obj_readable_room1_Other_10: "* Suddenly^1, your body seizes up^1.&* What are you looking at?/%"
gml_Object_obj_readable_Other_10: "* Can you see me...?/%"

The old messages from the previous game were a lot simpler (mostly variations on "Error!"), so the change to these is interesting.

The theory about fluffy boy being Kris's "ideal self" might not be too far off; for a sibling that doesn't fit in at all and is completely different from everyone else ... oof. Damnit, Toby.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zamujasa posted:

The theory about fluffy boy being Kris's "ideal self" might not be too far off; for a sibling that doesn't fit in at all and is completely different from everyone else ... oof. Damnit, Toby.

I gotta admit I'm into this particular theory/interpretation. Especially since Kris would be a metaphorical black sheep. And yeah yeah I know the Dreemurs are goats (or some other kind of horned ungulate), but still.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

On the topic of data mining, apparently if you throw away the ball of junk in your inventory during the epilogue, it triggers a script that deletes all of your items and equipment in the dark world :shittydog:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Viridiant posted:

Aren't Lancer and his father dogs? The bottom of the spade on their face is a dog nose, they have the characteristic line going from the nose to the mouth, and they have big floppy tongues. They dogs.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

spade and neuter your pets

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's what I was assuming the whole time, and was hoping for a big doggo reveal at the end. Oh well, maybe in 4, 5, or 10 years

e: maybe my kid will be old enough that I can play Deltarune with them by the time it's out lol

http://variou-very.tumblr.com/post/179765442926/guys-i-have-a-very-important-headcanon

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

I like the interpretation that, because we never see inside the supply closet, Ralsei is the darkner version of the red devil horns Toriel mentions, which got lost in the supply closet at some point.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

repiv posted:

On the topic of data mining, apparently if you throw away the ball of junk in your inventory during the epilogue, it triggers a script that deletes all of your items and equipment in the dark world :shittydog:
It's a character sheet! Now it make sense! :eek:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you go through the hoops to throw it away, you deserve what happens to you when you presumably start Chapter 2 butt-naked.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Viridiant posted:

Aren't Lancer and his father dogs? The bottom of the spade on their face is a dog nose, they have the characteristic line going from the nose to the mouth, and they have big floppy tongues. They dogs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Note that there's no "root" of the spade in that one, which implies it's part of his real face, which means it's his nose...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Weird af looking dog, anyway.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

One very handsome boi, anyway.
Ftfy

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i draw the line at incorporating Hot Lancer into theories

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Handsome Lancer Is Actually Gaster???? A Game Theory

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That reminds me, catching up on this thread I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who immediately noticed the similarities between gaster and rouxls

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 7, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Your Computer posted:

Handsome Lancer Is Actually Gaster???? A Game Theory

God I hate that guy.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shindragon posted:

God I hate that guy.

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY

A GAAAAAAAAAAAAAME THEORY

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY

Please tell me this is fake, I can't tell anymore

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

Please tell me this is fake, I can't tell anymore

It is, but it's over a thumbnail of a video where he makes the case that sans is Ness

And papyrus is a starman

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lancer is a Jojo and Susie is his Stand

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It is, but it's over a thumbnail of a video where he makes the case that sans is Ness

And papyrus is a starman

What is his case for that? I'm interested enough to see how he grasped that straw, but not enough to watch the video.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You know what was a loving blessing to be told about? The three little dots on every recommended video you can use to permanently erase that cockshit from ever being seen again. I've been scourging every single lovely TOP 10 REACTION VIDEOS THE DEVELOPERS DIDN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT SANS UNDERTALE DARK SOY SECRET LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE PRO-NAZI CLIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX from the face of my feed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Its permanent in theory, but Cinemasins' "everything wrong with Friday the 13th Part 2" keeps showing up for me despite the concept of the video itself viscerally offending me.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

What is his case for that? I'm interested enough to see how he grasped that straw, but not enough to watch the video.

In Sans' secret room there's the strange machine, a badge, and a photo of 3 people you/Frisk don't recognize.
Game Theory is that the machine is the time machine from the end of Earthbound, the 3 people are the other 3 party members and the photo is from the photo album Ness gets at the end, and the badge is the Franklin Badge. Also Papyrus is a Starman, rather than just wearing a halloween costume of one. And Megalovania is originally from the Earthbound Halloween Hack, therefore Sans must originate from that universe.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gruckles posted:

In Sans' secret room there's the strange machine, a badge, and a photo of 3 people you/Frisk don't recognize.
Game Theory is that the machine is the time machine from the end of Earthbound, the 3 people are the other 3 party members and the photo is from the photo album Ness gets at the end, and the badge is the Franklin Badge. Also Papyrus is a Starman, rather than just wearing a halloween costume of one. And Megalovania is originally from the Earthbound Halloween Hack, therefore Sans must originate from that universe.

Glad to see Deltarune has debunked that.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, there's tons of dogs in Deltarune though

I can’t believe you’ve done this

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

And papyrus is a starman

Papyrus is 1000% wearing starman armor

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Papyrus is 1000% wearing starman armor

Is Papyrus wearing Starman armor... or did Giygas model the Starmen after Papyrus's Battle Body in the vain hope they might be as strong and cool and handsome as Papyrus?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

El Burbo posted:

I can’t believe you’ve done this

I can't believe I just got the joke.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How the gently caress do you dodge the carousel

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

How the gently caress do you dodge the carousel

The hitboxes are a lot smaller than they look. Basically ovals roughly inside the body area of the horses/ducks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hah. A really sad thing linked to 'You cannot choose who you are in this world'

Neither could Mettaton.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Naruhodo...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I dont get it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Danaru posted:

Its permanent in theory, but Cinemasins' "everything wrong with Friday the 13th Part 2" keeps showing up for me despite the concept of the video itself viscerally offending me.

Some recommendations are history-based, some are location-based. Can't do anything about the latter, if the Algorithm decides "every [country resident] needs to watch THIS now", it'll keep adding it to the list based on your IP. Check out if you still get that video in incognito mode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This scythe move is such bullshit.

Okay I think I got it, finally

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 7, 2018

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

I dont get it

It's a ref to this.

Adbot