Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why do we let foreign cars into the formula one, scomo has lied to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/pamurrell/status/1059978800086290435

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Matthew Guy reviews his campaign

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A blue car overturned by a regional freeway, omens.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

asio posted:

Beaches south of Brisbane are superior, but the benefit of going north for a swim is beefys pies, which are superior to yatala. But if he wants to win the Qld meat pies award he has to take the bus through the drive through meat pie shop in Rockhampton.

Do you mean Cranstons? He will have a hard time fitting the bus around the corners there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is trump impeached yet

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is trump impeached yet

Riding the Snake atm, but 538 have it as pretty much a toss up right now. Still about 10 mins before most of the polls in the really swingy states close.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is trump impeached yet

no because the dems aren't going to take the senate and it was never likely they would

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If they get the house, they can subpoena his tax returns though.

Edit for the rest of you not smart enough to have deleted facebook yet:

https://www.facebook.com/theaustralian/posts/10151184038319978?hc_location=ufi

poo poo bootlickers say.txt

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 7, 2018

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Katters kids... karbines?

https://twitter.com/azahynes/status/1059622884526632961?s=19

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1060005645565407233

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Somebody please, please bring this up next time we hear about LABAH WASTE MISTAH SPEAKAH

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I more thought of Nigel Farage and the crashed helicopter

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

It's times like this I really miss Clarke and Dawe

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Before Times posted:

It's times like this I really miss Clarke and Dawe

John Clarke is obviously with us in spirit and more literally in possession of Scomo for some time.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Grattan Institute reckons most people will have enough super to retire.

I agree with some of the report, but not all of it. Like seriously, gently caress increasing the retirement age to 70 and scrapping the increase in mandatory super. Employers have hosed over people for ages and scrapping it would be letting them off. Let's face it, they won't voluntarily increase wages, so might as well leave it there for some gains.

However, old rich people need to hand over their loving stupid super tax breaks.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So going back to that stabbing someone posted yesterday: Why would they report dialing 999 didn't work for the mother to get an ambulance. Iirc dialing 999 or 911 works because we assume tourists won't pay attention

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

So going back to that stabbing someone posted yesterday: Why would they report dialing 999 didn't work for the mother to get an ambulance. Iirc dialing 999 or 911 works because we assume tourists won't pay attention

Based on this threads reaction it’s so they can laugh at the foolish parents being unable to understand their rational gamer son or telephones

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://tendaily.com.au/news/v181107wns/joe-hildebrand-catches-up-with-mark-latham-outside-channel-10-building-20181107

Joe Hildebrand Catches Up With Mark Latham Outside Channel 10 Building
Mark Latham joins One Nation but does does not joing [sic] the pannel [fully sic] on Studio 10 this morning,

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Gridlocked posted:

911 definitely redirects to 000, I think I did that as a kid because it was the number from the Simpsons or whatever

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Looking at the US election makes me glad that, at least for the most part, we have an solid electoral system in Australia.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

https://www.triplezero.gov.au/Pages/Usingotheremergencynumbers.aspx posted:

9-1-1
911 is the emergency telephone number used in other countries such as the United States and Canada. This number should not be used in an emergency in Australia. If dialled within Australia, this number will not re-route emergency calls to Triple Zero (000).

Nope. Guess we just don't give a poo poo if yanks die.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Preferential voting is good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.acma.gov.au/Home/Citizen/Phones/Landlines/Reduce-unwanted-calls/emergency-call-service-faq-i-acma

ACMA posted:

Can I call 911 from a fixed line in an emergency?
No. 911 is used by emergency services in the United States but cannot be used to call the Emergency Call Service in Australia.

Telephone numbers beginning with the 911 prefix (for example, 02 911x xxxx) have already been allocated by the ACMA and are being used by individuals and businesses. This means that if 911 is dialled, the system only recognises these digits as the first part of an existing number. Any diversion to the Emergency Call Service after 911 has been dialled is therefore not possible.
I guess it's possible that a mobile phone could call 000 if you typed in 911/999 and hit the call button, but if that's the case it probably depends on the manufacturer and model.

JBP posted:

Preferential voting is good.

It's depressing as gently caress how easy it was for the UK major parties to convince people to reject preferential voting in their referendum

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sarah Hanson-Young’s defamation lawsuit against a fellow senator will proceed after the federal court rejected a bid to have it halted.

The Greens senator is suing the Liberal Democrats senator David Leyonhjelm over interviews he gave between 28 June and 2 July to Sky News, Melbourne radio station 3AW and the ABC’s 7.30 program, and a media statement posted on Medium.com on 28 June.

In the material, he elaborated on his comment to Hanson-Young on the floor of parliament to “stop shagging men” amid a debate on legislation seeking to prevent violence against women.

In his application to have the case stayed, Leyonhjelm argued that parliamentary privilege precluded him from running a truth defence.

Among other contentions, Leyonhjelm said any reputation damage arose from Hanson-Young’s own words when she said “he’s slut-shaming me” during a radio interview.

The court was told she denied saying all men were rapists as attributed to her and Hansard did not record her saying those words.

In his judgment on Wednesday, Justice Richard White dismissed Leyonhjelm’s application. His counsel flagged a likely appeal.

The judge also ordered Leyonhjelm to pay Hanson-Young’s costs.

The case will return to court on 18 December.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Joe Hildebrand Catches Up With Mark Latham Outside Channel 10 Building

too bad they didn't kill each other

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Labor hired a truck to follow ScoMos bus.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Anidav posted:

When I'm old and crazy I'd totally be down for buying/borrowing cars and blocking in political vehicles.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Plot twist Bill Shorten is riding in the truck the whole way.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Knobb Manwich posted:

Plot twist Bill Shorten is riding in the truck the whole way.

Honking his horn and yelling Zingers at the bus from the side window.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GoldStandardConure posted:

too bad they didn't kill each other

drat I need to find that newspaper vox pop image

froglet posted:

When I'm old and crazy I'd totally be down for buying/borrowing cars and blocking in political vehicles.

Why wait?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You Am I posted:

drat I need to find that newspaper vox pop image

Why wait?

Sadly my job needs me to keep a clean record. I think I'm a pretty poo poo activist and my real value is working and funneling a bunch of that money toward the Greens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TomAngley9/status/1060054390029996033

:itwaspoo:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What do they normally eat, rocks?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

GotLag posted:

https://www.acma.gov.au/Home/Citizen/Phones/Landlines/Reduce-unwanted-calls/emergency-call-service-faq-i-acma

I guess it's possible that a mobile phone could call 000 if you typed in 911/999 and hit the call button, but if that's the case it probably depends on the manufacturer and model.

It's depressing as gently caress how easy it was for the UK major parties to convince people to reject preferential voting in their referendum

Mobile emergency calls are actually 112 but the GSM spec makes the phone manufacturers support pretty much any emergency number work worldwide.

The reasoning for this is that you can pick up a random phone from anywhere without a sim card and dial your local emergency number - and it will work. (E.g. it was in the pocket of a tourist having a heart attack)

I believe there are some exceptions where a number is an emergency number in another country but has a local non-emergency use.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

No way it's not the cum of a lunatic

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

norp posted:

Mobile emergency calls are actually 112 but the GSM spec makes the phone manufacturers support pretty much any emergency number work worldwide.

The reasoning for this is that you can pick up a random phone from anywhere without a sim card and dial your local emergency number - and it will work. (E.g. it was in the pocket of a tourist having a heart attack)

I believe there are some exceptions where a number is an emergency number in another country but has a local non-emergency use.

Who here's brave enough to dial 911 on their phone to check

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is good policy

quote:

Australia’s tax commissioner would have the power to “name and shame” notorious directors of phoenix companies under a future Labor government.

Illegal phoenix activity, where a new company is created to continue the business of a company that has been deliberately liquidated to avoid paying its debts, including taxes and employee entitlements, is estimated to cost Australia’s economy billions of dollars annually.

According to a recent Phoenix Taskforce report, it cost the economy up to $5.1bn in 2015-16, with an estimated $300m in lost wages and entitlements for workers, $1.6bn in taxes never paid to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) and a $3.2bn cost to small businesses.

Under Labor’s proposed changes, the ATO commissioner would have the power to name and shame individuals and entities engaged in illegal phoenix activity. The commissioner would also be given the power to apply to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (Asic) for disqualification orders for directors who engaged in phoenix activity or other breaches of directors’ duties.

Labor said the measure would add to its anti-phoenixing and tax integrity measures, including its plan to introduce a director identification number (DIN) regime that would require company directors to provide more information about themselves – including a 100-point identification check – to Asic at the time of registering a company.

Labor said the DIN measure was the “most important” reform to detect phoenix activity, and even though the Coalition government had matched its commitment it was yet to introduce the legislation to parliament to implement it.

To address concerns about the commissioner of taxation overreaching in applying a name and shame penalty, Labor said the legislative design of its policy would mirror the commissioner’s remedial power.

That means the tax commissioner would have to notify the public that he had nominated “fraudulent phoenix activity” as an activity for which people would be named and shamed, and that people put on the phoenix watch list would have a chance to change their behaviour before being named and shamed.

The “name and shame” concept is elaborated in a Tax and Transfer Policy Institute paper, Detect and deter or catch and release: Are financial penalties an effective way to penalise deliberate tax evaders?, by the tax expert Chris Leech.

Labor said the tax commissioner ought to have the power to apply to Asic for an order to disqualify a director following successful civil or criminal serious non-compliance in phoenix activity and other serious tax-related matters.

“This is particularly important for cases such as fraudulent phoenix activity, which invariably is a result of breaches of director’s duties,” Labor said. “In such cases, after the tax office successfully deals with the tax-related phoenixing matters, the commissioner can apply to Asic to ensure the director’s duties elements of such fraud are pursued.”

Last year the employment department refused to reveal the identities of the directors who contributed to a total unpaid wage bill of $1.6bn over 10 years, which was left to taxpayers to pick up.

Figures, produced under freedom of information laws, showed that 1,322 people, who were each directors of two or more companies that failed, were responsible for a quarter of the unpaid wage bill, or $400m.

The shadow assistant treasurer, Andrew Leigh, said the new measures would “help protect Australian jobs and the economy”.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

No way it's not the cum of a lunatic

No wonder mark Latham couldn’t make it back in time for his tv slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-07/anglican-school-leaders-backtrack-from-diocese-sydney-letter/10471800

quote:

While leaders from two Anglican schools have distanced themselves from a controversial letter defending gay discrimination exemptions, another in Waverley is under fire from former students for failing to do the same.
Last week, the heads of 34 Anglican schools in New South Wales wrote to federal MPs urging them to protect exemptions in the Sex Discrimination Act that permitted them to sack or expel LGBTI staff and students.
Yesterday, the heads of Abbotsleigh private school for girls in Wahroonga and Barker College in Hornsby wrote to their communities, apologising for the distress the letter caused.
In response to criticism, the two school leaders signalled they would support the removal of the discrimination exemptions.
That sounds good!

quote:

"I am very sorry that some members of our community have felt discriminated against," Abbotsleigh headmistress Megan Krimmer said in a letter addressed to the Wahroonga community on Monday.
"This is something that should not happen and I apologise for the incredible hurt you have felt and are feeling."
Ms Krimmer said protection for religious freedoms being tied to exemptions in the Sex Discrimination Act was "objectionable" and she would support the removal of these exemptions.
That's not really an apology

quote:

At Barker College, chair of school council Peter Berkley also offered apologetic statements and calls for reform, but noted the furious backlash was fuelled by the media and "precipitated in a social media firestorm".
"Sadly the media reporting of these matters, and escalation on social media, has impacted our students," Mr Berkley said.
"This has hurt our young people. Some of our students thought we might actually want to expel them for being gay.
"We did not see this and are sorry … please be assured of our unbreakable commitment to doing the very best for all of our children."
Mr Berkley also said the head of Barker College, Phillip Heath, who was one of the original 34 signatures, and his family had received hate mail and "vile personal attacks" on social media.
In a seperate letter, Mr Heath said he signed the original letter upon request from the Diocese of Sydney, who said it would "help support the parliamentary debate into religious freedom".
"It is now clear the letter has generated unintended hurt and division," Mr Heath said.
"It was not intended as a message of discrimination or cruelty and I am truly distressed to see this impact.
"As I have expressed before, I find these exemptions deeply troubling and completely outdated."
"I didn't know what was in the letter when I signed it, and besides, this is all the fault of the media. We are the victims here"

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/07/leaders-of-two-anglican-schools-back-away-from-letter-on-sacking-gay-teachers

quote:

However, none of the school leaders went as far as to revoke their support for the letter, despite an open letter calling on them to do so, signed by over 2000 former Anglican school students from the 34 schools.
Both school heads said they wanted the exemption under the Sex Discrimination Act removed in future.
But students of the Anglican schools said this response was inadequate.
“I’m glad Mrs Krimmer can see why people are angry but she hasn’t taken any meaningful steps to correct for her behaviour,” said Maddy, a queer student who attended Abbotsleigh.
“The religious freedoms that she supports would allow for potential discrimination in the future.”
In response to Berkley’s statement that “the media reporting of these matters and escalation on social media [had] misled students”, she said this was patronising.
“It doesn’t matter even if they never use it. It’s about the queer kids in the school knowing they could use it, and then never coming out and never feeling secure in their identities. That’s the ramification that I am worried about."