Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Glumslinger posted:

On the other had, SF passed Prop C :toot:

cry cracker @jack cry :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Instant Sunrise posted:

How’s charter amendment b doing in LA? Or whatever letter the public bank thing is.

It failed loving hard.:(

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

How’s charter amendment b doing in LA? Or whatever letter the public bank thing is.

No 149,014 60.6%
Yes 96,690 39.4

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

basically stop loving electing people from San Francisco if you want this state to suck less

wait till Feinstein kicks off and Senator Zucc sweeps the state

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did the good school guy or bad school guy win? Tuck or something?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my bony fealty posted:

wait till Feinstein kicks off and Senator Zucc sweeps the state

Honestly my guess is if Feinstein bites it it'll probably be De Leon appointed in her place.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Did the good school guy or bad school guy win? Tuck or something?

Bad school guy is winning by 140kvotes

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

On the other had, SF passed Prop C :toot:

:toot: :toot: just got back from the Prop C election party, it was a real bright point tonight.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
I have a good idea, let's allow people to not eat or sleep or rest and drive us to hospitals and give us preliminary life persevering medical treatment. I'll call it Proposition 11.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mr_Moose posted:

I have a good idea, let's allow people to not eat or sleep or rest and drive us to hospitals and give us preliminary life persevering medical treatment. I'll call it Proposition 11.

That was literally made by AMR; a group that doesn't want to pay ambulance workers overtime. And now they wont have to. :suicide:

I loving hate this country.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The ads for that prop basically wrote themselves: have a boss barge into a breakroom, eat your lunch and push you out to a bunch of angry customers.

Then trot out some attractive EMTs in fake duty snippets talking about their long hours.

Same with the loving Dialysis prop. They're vampires who found 100 million to spend but wont pay to update their facilities.

Plz change title to CA Thread: Eat, poo poo, Feinstein because those all seem to be constants of life here now and forever.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

My city did something good possibly?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Boredumb posted:

No 149,014 60.6%
Yes 96,690 39.4

Boo. "I don't want no gubmint bein' in charge of my interest rates!"

At least Lara is back in a slight lead. And at least the various weed taxes around SLO County are passing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know right? Anaheim doing something good? That’s strange for us residents.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The Green Party guy in my city council district who wanted to enact rent control and turn a golf course into a public park got 20% of the vote.

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol out of all of this I'm surprised California took away paramedics breaks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

11 was always going to pass, it was framed in ~lazy EMT workers TAKING breaks and letting muh life DIE while they eat A SUBWAY??? i am gods greatest gift! NO STOP THEM!~ way

6 going down now that non-chud precincts are coming in. pretty much expected since most people were against 6 when asked if they wanted to remove road funding. Xavier Bacerra did a loving slick power move and the way its framed mostly sunk that garbage prop.

real loving shame prop 8 is dead. I don't know what it is but apparently all californians go braindead when asked to support various drug pricing controls and reign in the 2000% pharma/medical profits

Liberals are still corporatists and the west coast is neolib hell

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Honestly, Prop 11 passing is way worse than Prop 8 failing - the latter was partially a negotiating tactic to even get it on the ballot and the companies were forced to spend like $110m to maintain the status quo.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Pomp posted:

"People will DIE if we are forced to use profits to properly staff our operation."

I bet this is the last straw for people who are on the fence about beginning or continuing a career as an EMT. The get paid absolute bottom of the barrel wages to save people's lives on the daily. So now they make less than retail wages and their bosses just funded a campaign to keep them from even having a break. Pathetic.

I am not a ~first responder~ worshipper but I am really mad on their behalf. I don't know what I could have done but I'm kicking myself for assuming it would work out in their favor.

my bony fealty posted:

A lotta EMTs gonna up and quit maybe

Or hopefully unionize

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 7, 2018

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pomp posted:

The messaging against was really bad or more like nonexistent. If you look up arguments for/against it the first thing you see is "Prop 11 establishes into law the longstanding industry practice of paying EMTs and paramedics to remain reachable during their work breaks in case of emergency- just like firefighters and police officers."

On the loving Secretary of State's website. That is probably the max depth most voters got about it. The bias for was baked in from the start.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

God, I hope so. Then maybe the people who voted for this hot poo poo won't be around next election.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bummed about 10 and 11, but at least 5 and 6 went down in flames like the burning trash they are.

Any major upsets in the Assembly or State Senate?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

At least Lara is back in a slight lead. And at least the various weed taxes around SLO County are passing.

Oh my loving god this makes me so happy. It looked hopeless. I was really worried for a moment there.

Shame the comeback wasn't enough to save Thurmond. gently caress our already decaying educational system I guess

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 7, 2018

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

life is a joke posted:

Or hopefully unionize

They already did. The whole reason prop 11 exists is because the union and AMR didn't agree about whether their deal for how to handle being on call during breaks would be retroactive.

AMR basically took the deal they had with the union, added "it's retroactive", and submitted it as a prop, figuring that the cost of doing that * the chance of it passing and surviving court challenge was cheaper than settling the existing lawsuits

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m glad I didn’t follow this thread last night. There were several meltdowns over things that eventually flipped like the gas tax repeal and Insurance Comissioner.

Electing judges seems extremely pointless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't believe loving Duncan Vapebro Hunter managed a win.

Also pissed that Nuñes remains but he was like +16.
At least Rohrabacher is out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:suspense:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I’m glad I didn’t follow this thread last night. There were several meltdowns over things that eventually flipped like the gas tax repeal and Insurance Comissioner.

You should have seen the midterm thread. Nate Silver's dumb model kept seesawing between 30% and 90% chance for a Dem House. Goons were breaking out the pills and razor blades for a couple hours there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yay to Vladimir Rohrabacher going down (finally!), Issa's old seat flipping, and picking up CA-25.

Boo to CA-10, CA-39, and CA-45, all held by Reps by 51-49. C'mon gang, those are the sort of seats you should be picking off in a blue state during an anti-Republican backlash election. Immensely frustrating.

And LOL just LOL to CA-50 returned the indicted adulterous vaper to Congress. Oh, inland San Diego, you never fail to disappoint.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Alpine County hits 78% turnout with 594 ballots cast. That's more than half the total population of the county! And that county used to have its own state senator!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So when do we get to go to perma-daylight savings? Is it up to the Fed or just our state congress?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Honestly it was pretty tame by goon meltdown standards.

It's clear that a huge majority of Californians just pick "yes" on every judge but I'd still rather have the option as a way to get rid of them than have it be like the Supreme Court, where it can just be packed with far right demagogues for decades. I don't know what Carol Carrigan would need to have done to get rejected if what she did wasn't enough for it to even be somewhat close, but I'm sure there's something.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Pussy Quipped posted:

So when do we get to go to perma-daylight savings? Is it up to the Fed or just our state congress?

Both. It’s almost definitely not happening.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

All 5 adults in my family voted against Hunter but I knew it was a long shot based on how much all our neighbors love Trump :(

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

FMguru posted:

Yay to Vladimir Rohrabacher going down (finally!), Issa's old seat flipping, and picking up CA-25.

Boo to CA-10, CA-39, and CA-45, all held by Reps by 51-49. C'mon gang, those are the sort of seats you should be picking off in a blue state during an anti-Republican backlash election. Immensely frustrating.

And LOL just LOL to CA-50 returned the indicted adulterous vaper to Congress. Oh, inland San Diego, you never fail to disappoint.

Can't believe yall failed to scalp these Republicans. Way to go.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In practice, we don't elect judges. The governor appoints them and the vote rubber-stamps them. They don't bother to campaign and aren't ever rejt

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Where did you pull these results from?

Also, lmao at Orange County being the only county that voted yes on 5.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Bummed about about Nunes Denham and Hunter. If they survived this year they're probably safe for a while. Unless Hunter goes to prison.

No real surprises in SF as far as I can tell, pending some ranked choice shenanigans.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Possible a lot of his votes came from Republicans who didn't know anything about him. Campaigning might've actually reduced his vote share, lol

I honestly think that was a deliberate strategy on his part. Try to combine the clueless angry "Feinstein is a communist" GOP vote with the legitimately angry "Feinstein is a senile dinosaur" progressive vote to get to 50.1 percent.

Honestly, he did better than I expected him to given her institutional advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Prop 11 is a poster child for why direct democracy is bad in most cases. The general electorate shouldn't be expected to understand all the nuances of a labor dispute of one particular industry, and that industry shouldn't be essentially allowed to buy their way onto a ballot. A statewide ballot proposition should only be used for issues that affect virtually everyone in the state.

I don't really think it's proof we're in 'neoliberal hell' considering 5 and 6 both lost.

We need to reform the proposition process.