Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much do those wheels go for? I thought parking in the wrong place and get your wheels stolen was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Right now, there's a Falcon with all its wheel missing in the supermarket parking lot near me.

I'm guessing the owner made the mistake of parking there overnight.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Two relatively new rentals left in our yard over the weekend.

A lot of our company vehicles have RFID tags in the tires, so it's interesting that they knew to target the subs.

'Interesting' or 'inside job'?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Inside job crimes coming from ITT!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

oohhboy posted:

How much do those wheels go for? I thought parking in the wrong place and get your wheels stolen was a joke.

You can pay $200-$300 for middle of the road tandem tires. Both trucks had twin screws so 8 tires apiece.

A few years ago we had a tire vendor who, during routine checks on the weekend, was caught taking new tires off of tractors and trailers and putting on garbage tires that would end up blowing in a week.

The (major) tire service company gave us a credit in the neighborhood of $100K.

edit: middle of the road meaning standard grade, not found in the middle of the road

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187274/Man-pushes-suicide-jumper-bridge-taking-long.html

He pushed him off the bridge and onto an inflatable cushion that had been set up to catch him

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

oohhboy posted:

I've had my wheels stolen off my truck sitting in the garage at my apartment before. People definitely do this.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A student of the "Lethal Weapon negotiation method".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sex Skeleton posted:

I've had my wheels stolen off my truck sitting in the garage at my apartment before. People definitely do this.

My brother had the wheels stolen off his god drat Honda Fit of all things a few months after he bought it.

The dumbasses who did it hit every Fit in the neighborhood, and continued doing it well into daylight hours when the cops started looking for them on cars that were in plain sight on the side of the street.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 7, 2018

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

That Columbia one, loving hell. "We didn't find the problem therefore there's no problem!"

Space apparently smelling like burned meat or torch-cut metal is some spooky loving stuff imo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nerses IV posted:

Space apparently smelling like burned meat or torch-cut metal is some spooky loving stuff imo

the moon smells like gunpowder apparently

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187274/Man-pushes-suicide-jumper-bridge-taking-long.html

He pushed him off the bridge and onto an inflatable cushion that had been set up to catch him

The lethal weapon approach

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/xNzvCXw.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm looking forward to all of our labor jobs being replaced by The Robot

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I will never accept any robot that cannot do the Robot.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The second half to the thing I was writing about regarding drunk train drivers is the Cannon Street crash of 1991, nearly 20 years after Wilsdon storming along at Eltham Well Hall.

Morris Graham (never trust someone with two first names) was driving a packed morning commuter train on 8th January 1991 from Sevenoaks in Kent suburbia to London Cannon Street.  Cannon Street is one of the smaller London terminals all things considered, but it is still incredibly busy in the mornings as it’s very close to the financial district. The 8 coach train had over 1000 people on it. Graham hit the start of the platform at about 15mph as far as we can tell, but didn’t brake after that until far too late.  He hit the buffer stops at about 10mph.

Poor crashworthiness was again a factor here, like at Clapham Junction.  Old rolling stock, which was fortunately being phased out, simply didn’t hold up to the stresses of the collision.  More importantly numerous couplers between coaches failed and allowed several coaches to ride up over the ones in front.  Hundreds were injured and two people were killed, despite a collision speed of only 10mph. Graham, and the trainee driver who happened to be in the cab, were both unhurt.  The injuries were all due to crumpling compartments and the cramped rush hour conditions.

Three days later Graham had a medical examination and tested positive for cannabis.  It was not possible to tell exactly what effect this would have had. It wasn’t like with Wilsdon – where he was so drunk it’s hard to see how he even got in the cab. The results were clear that Graham had taken cannabis recently, but it wasn’t well understood exactly what effects the amount he had would have been on him at the time.  The test was not done immediately, and even if it had been it’s hard to draw a direct line of cause and effect unless the results you get are really high.

Nevertheless it was concluded that the results would have been consistent with longer reaction times, which might explain why Graham had apparently shouted to the trainee driver that the brakes weren’t working as they approached the buffers.  The brakes were tested and found to be working fine. There was no on train data recorder but testimony from passengers and staff was that Graham hadn’t braked when they would normally expect. If he had applied the brakes late and found the train didn’t slow enough he may have interpreted this quite genuinely as the brakes failing.  Applying train brakes is basically a matter of judgement of timing. The inquiry concluded his sense of timing may have been impaired, although it wasn’t ultimately possible to say for certain.

Again Graham had not booked on at their home depot but gone straight to pick his train up, with agreement from his rostering manager.  As with Eltham Well Hall the inquiry concluded this practice should be reviewed. Nothing had been done about it in 20 years, but seeing as it’s efficacy at stopping people booking on when under the influence was obviously limited I can see why no one was especially animated to enforce that rule.  The big conclusion was that it should be made a criminal offence to drive a train while under the influence of drink or drugs.

The outcome was the Transport and Public Works Act of 1994.  This made it illegal to book on with drink or drugs in your system. Crucially it also made it so that if an employee commits this offence the employer is also considered to have committed it unless they can demonstrate they have taken reasonable steps to stop it happening. There’s a lot of wriggle room there, but the key point is this at least gives an incentive for managers to enforce the policy, which was previously not happening.

In order to protect themselves train operating companies now all have “zero tolerance” drug and alcohol policies. The unions are in almost complete agreement with this, and will only put up a token resistance for you if you are caught.  Employees are subject to random testing, “for cause” testing following incidents, and periodic testing at key medicals or when getting promotions. If you are found with anything in your system you are almost guaranteed to be out of a job.  Whether the company then refers it on to the police depends on how they feel about it. But they have the power to do so if they wish.

The limitations this puts on you as an average member of staff are actually quite significant.  There is no set time in which you can’t drink before a shift, you just have to be confident it wouldn’t show up in a test.  With regards to drugs the actual effects on you may last for only a few days but they could still cause a positive test result months later. Personally I find it amazing that still a not insignificant number of people take the chance and get caught out.  Random testing regimes are, in my experience, pretty sparse, so it is amazing anyone is caught at all by them. The more likely possibility for most people is that you would have an unrelated incident, like having a low risk SPAD or tripping the TPWS grids, and the automatic “for cause” test would highlight something – possibly from months ago.  At that point you are gone.

Most drugs and alcohol policies also state you have to inform the company if you are on any medication.  Not only so they can tell you if it makes you unfit to work, but so you are covered if it shows up in a random test.  If this weren’t the case most positive test results would trigger disputes about whether the results were due to illegal substances or herbal supplements/athletes foot cream/aspirin.  As it stands you can claim that the reason your urine is 90% cocaine is because of the side effects of your heart tablets but the employer is under no obligation to even investigate that – they can just respond by asking why you didn’t declare that in good time.

There are still a lot of drinkers on the railway, but they pretty much keep it to rest days now. The Transport and Public Works Act did its job or braking the back of the culture of no one really caring about drinking.

Its still in theory industry best practice to require crew to book on at their home depot.  If anything, however, this has slipped back even further over time.  The purpose of it was always to ensure someone could have some kind of oversight of your fitness to work.  However a lot of depots now no longer have managers on call so even if you book on their no one has oversight of it.  I worked for years at a huge depot where managers were on call at all times but you actually booked on remotely anyway – via an automated system in the roster room.  So even though the managers were there you never actually saw them; there were simply too many crew for that to be feasible. Lots of freight companies have remote booking on via telephone as standard.  

The unofficial booking on away from your home depot still goes on all the time.  Given that the purpose of going to your depot has been diluted the importance of it seems pretty minimal to train crew, and I can hardly blame them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SardonicTyrant posted:

I will never accept any robot that cannot do the Robot.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I'm the coworker awkwardly clapping after busting out a few inferior moves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

schmug posted:

also, did they roll in with a wrecker to lift that poo poo up? normal floor jack aint gonna do it, I don't think.

An empty truck is only about 16,000lbs. a good size floor jack will get the back end off the ground pretty easily.

oohhboy posted:

Wheels only like $100-$300. Tires from $300-$600 a piece. A good set of 8 could be $5k mounted.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 7, 2018

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Still enjoying your posts, OrthoTrot, keep 'em coming as much you want.

The closest I've ever been to a train accident was being on a train that had to stop and unload us before we got to the terminus because rainfall had removed the ground from underneath the tracks.

From the Eltham Well Hall incident, did I understand correctly that the dead-man switch/pedal had to be continually held at that time instead of the reply-to-the-buzzer system I assume is in use today?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

VKing posted:

Still enjoying your posts, OrthoTrot, keep 'em coming as much you want.

The closest I've ever been to a train accident was being on a train that had to stop and unload us before we got to the terminus because rainfall had removed the ground from underneath the tracks.

From the Eltham Well Hall incident, did I understand correctly that the dead-man switch/pedal had to be continually held at that time instead of the reply-to-the-buzzer system I assume is in use today?

Thanks! And jesus that's some rainfall. As yet there aren't any systems I'm aware of to detect weather related obstacles so if the track circuits are still functioning no one would know what was going on. Although if the ground has physically gone I would assume the track circuit has long since tripped.

I'm not 100% sure the system in 1972 but now the dead man handle or "drivers safety device" is integrated into the "drivers vigilance device" which can be unnecessarily confusing.

The drivers safety device is a pedal that has to be continuously depressed or the train will stop. The drivers vigilance device is a piggy backing system to basically give the driver a stimulus that requires response every 50-60 seconds. An alarm rings and you have to take your lift your foot off the DSD pedal briefly then put it back. If you don't, you guessed it, the breaks come on.

Both the DSD and the DVD are separate entirely from any trackside signalling. They both function as long as the train is in the equivalent of forward gear. If you were completely stationary for a few minutes but had it in forward you would get DVD alarms still. The AWS horn/bell is different and sounds in relation to whatever signal you are approaching.

The hardest thing to get your head around as a trainee in the first few days is what each sound means and what you have to do in response. When you're concentrating like gently caress on just braking, because it's a 12 car train and that's terrifying, the last thing you need is random poo poo ringing at you and requiring responses in 4-5 seconds.

Don't know when dvd was introduced though. It was definitely around for Southall in 1999 but I'm not sure about Eltham.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBILh2WvUqY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Group hug!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
feeding frenzy at a freshly captured gas can

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

is this post flood?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OrthoTrot posted:

There are still a lot of drinkers on the railway, but they pretty much keep it to rest days now.

The guy who lives in the house next to my home is a train driver and he went to his boss one morning and told them to send his rear end to rehab because he was afraid he'd die of drinking. He told me this one night over a pint at the local pub where he had been celebrating getting out of rehab that morning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

starkebn posted:

is this post flood?

Yeah, that's where the master city drain is. Someone needs to get a really big snake.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Azathoth posted:

The real story is far sadder.

From the resulting investigation, it was pretty clear that while the captain had the theoretical authority to divert around the storm safely, he'd previously been fired from a different company for not sailing into similar conditions, and thereby costing that company a bunch of money. And if he got fired from this one, he would in all likelihood never captain a ship again.

That simple fact underlies everything he did, and didn't do, that day. He was clearly looking, in his communication with the company, for someone to recommend to him to divert, but he couldn't ask directly, because he theoretically had the authority to do it himself. If he asked, it would be the same as if he had just given the order, since the company had no theoretical power to countermand him. They could, and likely would, however, fire him if he diverted without being told.

No one at the company understood in real time how serious the storm was, and no one there really cared to look too close, despite setting up a system that functionally stripped the captain of the ability to divert.

It was hosed up and everyone in the management chain above the captain should be in jail.

"This is the captain of the ship checking in, operations just to let you know that we are sailing towards a category X storm as per our planned route".
"Ok thanks for the info"

"Hi, its me the captain, just to let you know the waves are reaching very high heights, we've shut down access to the decks, we are proceeding into the centre of the storm"
"Ok, well keep us informed."

"Captain here, we have lost several of the lifeboats due to waves hitting the ship and the ship is tilting at a large angle, we will proceed with the planned route forwards"
"Ok gotcha"

"Operations, this is the Captain, we have confined all staff to quarter due to the escalating storm battering the ship and tilting at massive angles, we have also spotted a ship containing what appear to be a skeletal legion of the damned, we will be sailing towards them as per the planned route"
"Roger that Captain."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poo poo like that is why you need aggressive government organizations that enforce safety rules because the profit motive will always always create a system where people are presented with the choice of working safely and reporting issues, or keeping their jobs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwhlPXxzWI

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This is not actually a hoax video. It really seems like some sort of parody sketch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M3rufQLYsg

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I must say I was pretty stunned when the net came out. I assume the only conclusion we can make, is that the people who made that video completely lack the understanding on how and why quadcopters work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Saukkis posted:

I must say I was pretty stunned when the net came out. I assume the only conclusion we can make, is that the people who made that video completely lack the understanding on how and why quadcopters work.
Because of the fans. It still has fans, so it should still fly.

I'll order a thousand.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I'm the noisy raytracing artifacts when the fans start up

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Glad they pointed out the warning light because if they had missed that, it would render the entire concept completely implausible!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

William Langewiesche is by far my favorite longform journalist particularly because his aviation disaster reports are unrivaled. It's probably because he's quite a gifted writer who happened to have been a commercial pilot too

Check out these articles:
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash - AF447
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/11/the-crash-of-egyptair-990/302332/ - MS990
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/11/columbias-last-flight/304204/ - Space Shuttle Columbia

Just finished reading these stories. Fantastic reporting. The airline articles were probably not the best choice to read while flying though.....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the moon smells like gunpowder apparently

Tom Waits has a bit on the Glitter and Doom live album where he says Neil Armstrong told him the moon smells like fireworks.

jemand posted:

Just finished reading these stories. Fantastic reporting. The airline articles were probably not the best choice to read while flying though.....

Yeah I read them in an airport waiting on a flight. Then the song TV On 10 by The Uncluded came on, which is about five friends chilling out one night and seeing a plane crash on the news... that one of their mothers was on.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Memento posted:

Yeah I read them in an airport waiting on a flight. Then the song TV On 10 by The Uncluded came on, which is about five friends chilling out one night and seeing a plane crash on the news... that one of their mothers was on.

Sounds like somebody needs to contract out their Muzak to a different station...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

Morris Graham (never trust someone with two first names) was driving a packed morning commuter train on 8th January 1991 from Sevenoaks in Kent suburbia to London Cannon Street.  Cannon Street is one of the smaller London terminals all things considered, but it is still incredibly busy in the mornings as it’s very close to the financial district. The 8 coach train had over 1000 people on it. Graham hit the start of the platform at about 15mph as far as we can tell, but didn’t brake after that until far too late.  He hit the buffer stops at about 10mph.

Your write up reminded me of an incident from my local area. Hundred year old iron beams and train cars don't mix well.