Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
What's the best way to farm legendaries to upgrade my build? I just got the seasonal challenge set and have no idea what to do besides run rifts until I get carpal tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

interrodactyl posted:

What's the best way to farm legendaries to upgrade my build? I just got the seasonal challenge set and have no idea what to do besides run rifts until I get carpal tunnel.

Grifts or speed 13s

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I struggled a bit getting the solo level 20 greater rift done, eventually getting it in time on my 3rd try. Then I got the full set and changed build to the one the Icy Veins guide recommends and suddenly I'm literally 1-shotting every single mob from 3 screens away :wtf: Took it up to Torment IV and still the same, just 1 shotting every single elite pack, boss, whatever. Time to move up to XIII or something I guess?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bardeh posted:

I struggled a bit getting the solo level 20 greater rift done, eventually getting it in time on my 3rd try. Then I got the full set and changed build to the one the Icy Veins guide recommends and suddenly I'm literally 1-shotting every single mob from 3 screens away :wtf: Took it up to Torment IV and still the same, just 1 shotting every single elite pack, boss, whatever. Time to move up to XIII or something I guess?

With a full starter set with decently rolled stats and even mediocre other stuff to fill it out, you should be able to easily get up to GR40ish without much difficulty, in my experience, though of course it very much depends on the relative strength of the build. Greater Rifts kinda operate independently of whatever your difficulty setting is, I believe, and their level is what dictates the difficulty.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I joined a public Torment VI game to farm some rifts, which is as high as it'll let me go without completing higher level GRifts, and even in a 4-player game it's still 1-shot city. Jebus, the power spike from completing that set is absolutely insane. It's a buttload of fun zooming around maps and hoovering up loot though.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bardeh posted:

I joined a public Torment VI game to farm some rifts, which is as high as it'll let me go without completing higher level GRifts, and even in a 4-player game it's still 1-shot city. Jebus, the power spike from completing that set is absolutely insane. It's a buttload of fun zooming around maps and hoovering up loot though.

I've got an insanely fast witch doctor and I'm loving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHsOSGJHN0

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bardeh posted:

What class/set?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

What class/set?

The Demon Hunter one - Unhallowed Essence. I've just been following the Icy Veins starter guide, so I was struggling along with a Chakrams build taking loving ages to kill anything, and then switched to a Multishot build once I finished the seasonal journey where I'm suddenly (comparitively) God incarnate.

Now it looks like I need to find a Yang's Recurve and a Dead Man's Legacy - do I just farm rifts until my fingers seize up hoping they drop?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bardeh posted:

Now it looks like I need to find a Yang's Recurve and a Dead Man's Legacy - do I just farm rifts until my fingers seize up hoping they drop?

Gamble quivers, convert bows to legendary using Kanai's Cube.

And if you think you're strong now, you're going to feel like a walking WMD once you get them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
huh, turns out I already had one somehow :lol: might explain the ridiculous power spike because I wasn't even using Multishot before

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bardeh posted:

The Demon Hunter one - Unhallowed Essence. I've just been following the Icy Veins starter guide, so I was struggling along with a Chakrams build taking loving ages to kill anything, and then switched to a Multishot build once I finished the seasonal journey where I'm suddenly (comparitively) God incarnate.

Oh yeah UE is amazing.

To get yangs, upgrade bows in the cube with deathes breathes. Blood shards should be spent on armor pieces for 25 a pop

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yeah the bow and quiver make a huge difference. I go back and forth between Marauder and UE for multishot build. I tried the build on Icy Veins listed as the top tier build (Marauder/Natalya hybrid) and while it does feel strong I just don't like the playstyle. I don't push top GRs anyway so I'm fine with a slightly less powerful build. Can clear a GR70 without issue, I haven't really tried harder ones yet. I got a Primal Marauder's Gloves, which I think is my first primal that is actually useful to a build I'm using.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

mewse posted:

Oh yeah UE is amazing.

To get yangs, upgrade bows in the cube with deathes breathes. Blood shards should be spent on armor pieces for 25 a pop

I'm playing Barb, but why would you want to roll for certain pieces in kanais cube vs with shards?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Diablo 2's producer on the Diablo Immoral announcement:

https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/1059206672143409155

It's multiple tweets, so click/tap to read the whole thing.

Yeurgh, please don't link to that piece of poo poo.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

I'm playing Barb, but why would you want to roll for certain pieces in kanais cube vs with shards?

Weapons and jewelry cost more shards to gamble. To the point where it's generally not worth it unless you have no possible armor upgrades to get anymore.

Also sometimes certain items, again usually weapons, have a very high chance of rolling with the cube upgrade. Like Demonhunters only have 2 possible daggers they can get so it's 50/50 per upgrade to get the one you want.

mewse
May 2, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

If you gamble blood shards for weapons it's 75 shards for "1h weapon" but upgrading rares in the cube you can specifically target mighty weapons which is a pool of only 8 weapons. If you're really stuck for necklace or ring and you have all your armor pieces you can gamble 50 blood shards for jewelry but weapons are basically never worth it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm playing D3 with my buddy on Switch. I'm playing Demon Hunter and he's playing Necromancer. We're both level ~35 or so. It's a little frustrating because he just melts all the enemies he encounters and I'm much slower killing stuff. On solo I do fine but I feel like I'm not playing it very well. What skills are good for killing stuff fast?
When I played a little Witch Doctor I did a lot better too.

I'm on expert difficulty by the way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Osmosisch posted:

I don't know the history, why the hate?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I rolled a monk a couple days ago. I got to 70 faster than I ever remember doing so before. Don't really know what I did different either but it sure felt fast. In the past I always remember the 60-70 span being particularly painful but it was more or less about a level and a half per rift playing on Master - maybe I got lucky with some legendaries.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

mewse posted:

If you gamble blood shards for weapons it's 75 shards for "1h weapon" but upgrading rares in the cube you can specifically target mighty weapons which is a pool of only 8 weapons. If you're really stuck for necklace or ring and you have all your armor pieces you can gamble 50 blood shards for jewelry but weapons are basically never worth it.

Thanks for the explanation! That's really helpful

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What should I do to level my first character in a season? Just spam bounties on the highest difficulty setting I'm comfortable with?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I may be wrong but rifts for leveling and bounties when you're bored of that or for gear.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

What should I do to level my first character in a season? Just spam bounties on the highest difficulty setting I'm comfortable with?

Neph rift on hard until your eyes bleed or if you are ambitious, look up how to abuse massacre bonuses

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

"Don't link to him as I quote his post"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Huh, the couple times I tried doing rifts they seemed real slow. I guess I'll lower my difficulty for them.

Should I just skip everything but blues and yellows or murder all the groups?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

If I don't get a powerlevel I usually do a set of bounties in each act at the highest difficulty I can handle since I need them for the Season Gift anyway, then if I am not 70 I just run rifts the rest of the way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Huh, the couple times I tried doing rifts they seemed real slow. I guess I'll lower my difficulty for them.

Should I just skip everything but blues and yellows or murder all the groups?

You shouldn't have to skip anything.

One thing everyone should know is that expert difficulty is a trap:

Monster health jumps from 200% to 320% but XP only increases from 75% to 100%.

Shouldn't really increase difficulty from hard unless you've crafted a high level weapon with reduced level requirement

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

myron cope posted:

Yeah the bow and quiver make a huge difference. I go back and forth between Marauder and UE for multishot build. I tried the build on Icy Veins listed as the top tier build (Marauder/Natalya hybrid) and while it does feel strong I just don't like the playstyle. I don't push top GRs anyway so I'm fine with a slightly less powerful build. Can clear a GR70 without issue, I haven't really tried harder ones yet. I got a Primal Marauder's Gloves, which I think is my first primal that is actually useful to a build I'm using.

Yeah I feel similarly about the hybrid build, it just doesn’t have the pizazz of pure marauder or the hilarity of UE. I do want to give another shoutout though to the Shadow impale build, the damage it does is utterly nuts and it captures the same “weird build” feeling sentry builds had before they were standard, by having your main hand as a DH be a melee weapon.

I gave it a go for a laugh just because I’d picked up the set and the dagger, and I don’t think I’ll go back to anything else on the character, there’s just something so fundamentally fun about dropping a guardian with a single thrown knife.]

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I really wanted to like Shadow but basically being an elite and boss sniper and having to run from 90% of the trash isn't something I really enjoy. :(

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kyrosiris posted:

I really wanted to like Shadow but basically being an elite and boss sniper and having to run from 90% of the trash isn't something I really enjoy. :(

What level grifts were you running that you had to run from trash mobs but could still one-shot elites? With a fully kitted out Shadow build, your elusive ring, compass rose set, and Aquila Cuirass should be providing you so much toughness you can almost just stand there and tank everything until you start going past like GR75.

I'd have to double check the exact numbers, but I think my Shadow build DH this season regularly hits 100M+ toughness when everything is up. The only tankier dh I have is my gold farming UE build that routinely hits like 4B toughness in rifts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mewse posted:

You shouldn't have to skip anything.

One thing everyone should know is that expert difficulty is a trap:

Monster health jumps from 200% to 320% but XP only increases from 75% to 100%.

Shouldn't really increase difficulty from hard unless you've crafted a high level weapon with reduced level requirement

Huuuuh, that explains a lot. Thanks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He probably means it's inefficient to kill trash mobs so you need to skip them and concentrate one elites.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Suburban Dad posted:

Mark Kern is a colossal piece of poo poo who effectively killed Firefall and The9 and was really big into "that one GAMES JOURNALISM thing that we don't talk about".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bamhand posted:

He probably means it's inefficient to kill trash mobs so you need to skip them and concentrate one elites.

Yeah, that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Suburban Dad posted:

He thinks you cant date women without bodycams or some poo poo. I dunno if there's any bad feelings following him from Firefall either but he likes to make a fool of himself on Twitter

Necrolich
Feb 10, 2010
Just got into this on the Switch and playing as a Necro. Got my full set from the season and starting to branch out to other setups as i get new pieces. I absolutely LOVE Death Nova but it doesnt seem to really have a place when doing solo GRifts and whatnot (as far as i can tell from a quick search).......I could be wrong, anyone have thoughts on a build that would work when solo and doing GRifts (+30 and up)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Almost any old build will work until GR45+ as long as you're wearing your set. You can get to 75 ish if you follow the recommended items for any build. After that is when you'll see specific builds start to outshine others.

Like if you like nova just wear Rathma's, keep bone armor up then nova things. You'll probably murder everything easily. Mix in pieces of gear that give you bonuses to nova or whatever else you want as you see fit. If you want to do higher end stuff then you'll need to pick a specific build/gear setup for a given set that works.

Necrolich
Feb 10, 2010

bamhand posted:

Almost any old build will work until GR45+ as long as you're wearing your set. You can get to 75 ish if you follow the recommended items for any build. After that is when you'll see specific builds start to outshine others.

Like if you like nova just wear Rathma's, keep bone armor up then nova things. You'll probably murder everything easily. Mix in pieces of gear that give you bonuses to nova or whatever else you want as you see fit. If you want to do higher end stuff then you'll need to pick a specific build/gear setup for a given set that works.

Ok thanks, thats what i figured. Having no issues up to GR35 but i know that wall is coming, figured it doesnt make sense trying to fit a square peg into a round hole if its not worth it above 45/50.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Also FYI the top Necro builds are all garbage to play (to me anyways). They revolve around popping two 2 minute cooldown skills then nuking stuff as hard as you can for ten seconds. Then running around praying you don't get one shot until the cooldowns are up again. They're one of the strongest builds in the game but I tried it once and swore never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Necrolich posted:

Just got into this on the Switch and playing as a Necro. Got my full set from the season and starting to branch out to other setups as i get new pieces. I absolutely LOVE Death Nova but it doesnt seem to really have a place when doing solo GRifts and whatnot (as far as i can tell from a quick search).......I could be wrong, anyone have thoughts on a build that would work when solo and doing GRifts (+30 and up)
I managed to get through a season journey once with a Death Nova build: Inarius, CoE, Scythe of the Cycle, cubed Nayr's Black Death. The last couple season journey objectives weren't pretty, but I was deadset on not playing Corpse Lance and that's what I came up with.