Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
What is the flavor text for Refugees, anyways? I can guess the general sentiment, but I don't know that I've ever seen it in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The mouseover text for the background icon says that they fled because they lack the resolve to fight for their home.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I've got an interview with the devs on Tuesday 13th if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask!
Would be cool if you could ask them about mod support, although I'm pretty sure the answer is "Not happening because this game was made using a custom engine that is barely held together by our combined willpower.".

I'd also kinda like to know what they felt about the wave of negative reviews after they initially declared the game was finished.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wizard Styles posted:

I'd also kinda like to know what they felt about the wave of negative reviews after they initially declared the game was finished.

God that pissed me off to see. "Game dead, devs abandoned" belongs on poo poo like Towns or games that have actually been abandoned and left to rot. Not on a game that's feature complete and out. The AAA and big time indie thing of updates for years and years after release has just loving spoiled some people into literal toddlers.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I've always found it slightly annoying to see a named item in a shop early on when I can't possibly afford it, and then when I can the item is no longer there. Any thoughts from the devs to make these items stay in shops longer?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've got an interview with the devs on Tuesday 13th if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask!

Ask if they'd consider a similar type of game but with a tighter focus on individuals. I'd love for them to do something like a Warhammer: Inquisitor game where you have 4-6 dudes with a heavy focus on investigations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cyberpunk / Science Fiction remake when

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I have been fighting the noble war and operation shank a noble has resulted a Very well armored front line. I love it. My most recent battle was less exciting, Two enemy knights both with battle axes rolled up my line, lost 3 men down, two came back. it was a mess.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ask them if they can add a new battle brother backstory that is female. I don’t mind if it’s super rare but I think it belongs in the game.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
MOBILE PORT WHEN

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

StrixNebulosa posted:

Battle Sisters when?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The next game should be 'Battle Brothers: 40,000', definitely not a reference to an unpopular franchise setting.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
It'll actually be on the 20th as I'm bad at scheduling.

It will be a positive interview so I won't be asking about Muslims (???) but I will definitely try to discuss modding and get an answer as to why it's not possible, as well as using some of the other bits you guys have passed over. Feel free to keep it coming!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It will be a positive interview so I won't be asking about Muslims (???)

Frankly it's better if you don't know, don't click the link:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/347097-pillars-eternity-ii-writer-manchester-bombings-get-prepare

TO the guy's credit he basically took responsibility for the lovely comments and apologized

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

handgonnes when. Preferably the ultra-low-tech tube on the end of a stick

wanna shoot a goblin (when it's not exploding in my own dude's face which also needs to happen)

seriously though seconding asking them if they have any ideas for future DLC or maybe even if they're working on any other projects

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

Ask them if they can add a new battle brother backstory that is female. I don’t mind if it’s super rare but I think it belongs in the game.

Now why is this important and what would it add to the game ? I think devs have said the obstacle to adding ladybros is having to change all textfiles so plenty of work for litlle gain.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What? Just make make some female head and bodies. They're already interchangeable sprites. Make a button to swap pronouns at the barber, where you can already change every other aspect of a character's appearance besides their stats and background.

No one cares if the rat faced buck toothed man covered in tattoos comes out of the barber a clean cut muscle man with a Herculean jawline, so it's not like a sex change matters either.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
They would have to rewrite a whole lot of events and other stuff.
I assume right now they're all just text so they would essentially go over and write gender variables into all of them.

e: This could be automated to some extent of course, and either way it's not like it's an insurmountable challenge, but it would take some work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Make an event where it turns out one of your bros is a trans man, and when you somehow find out they're genetically female they're like "so what, I'm as much a man as you are" and then you don't have to change the pronouns in every event because they continue to go by he/him.

Bonus points because some bigot's head would explode when this event happened to their favourite bro 200 days into a campaign and then they would leave a negative Steam review saying the devs ruined the game with SJW propaganda.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Babe Magnet posted:

seriously though seconding asking them if they have any ideas for future DLC or maybe even if they're working on any other projects

They're working on a sci-fi tactics game they've shown concept art of before.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

germlin posted:

Now why is this important and what would it add to the game ? I think devs have said the obstacle to adding ladybros is having to change all textfiles so plenty of work for litlle gain.

Because it’d be cool and good and they could make a lot of funny events for it. Also they’d make their game more approachable to women.

I can’t be the only one who names a dude after myself and has fun that way?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

You should ask if there are any plans to add modding support now that the game has proved that is more popular than they expected

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

germlin posted:

gently caress off.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not against the idea at all personally, (in fact I think it would be good to add women to the game) but at this point in the game's lifecycle I highly doubt they're going to bother, and it's just something we'll need to rely on modders to add.
Since as Wizard Styles said, they'll need to make a bunch of changes to the game to allow it to happen. Not to mention the fact that they've already squeezed out most of the money they're likely ever going to make on the game, so they probably won't consider the time spent on it to be a worthwhile investment, compared to working on their other projects. (But, like everything else that's being said in this discussion, it's only speculation and therefore could be completely wrong - hopefully that's the case, since a bit of diversity would be good!)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Battlebros 40k seems like a v. good idea.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Frankly it's better if you don't know, don't click the link:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/347097-pillars-eternity-ii-writer-manchester-bombings-get-prepare

TO the guy's credit he basically took responsibility for the lovely comments and apologized

Isn't the Battle Brothers team 4 german guys working out of a garage? They might have paid this guy to do some English writing or translation but I don't think he's 'one of the devs'.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Well, day 45 with levels 6 and below, only a bit of chain on 3 of my guys, this isn’t going to end well, eh? Fought better armored bandits and lost 2 including my original crossbow bro, salvaged gently caress all for armor except helmets with not great fatigue and sight penalties. I guess with 12k gold I oughta start spending (no markets in my part of the world sell anything worth a drat)?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Isn't the Battle Brothers team 4 german guys working out of a garage? They might have paid this guy to do some English writing or translation but I don't think he's 'one of the devs'.
I think it is less than 4 part-time devs with day jobs actually, and that is why people should not get their hopes up for modding etc. The game engine was not designed with that in mind, and they would rather put the effort that would take into their new game. Frankly, we are lucky to get this upcoming DLC at all. They considered the game done, were kinda disappointed in the initial sales, and wanted to apply what they learned making BB towards their next game. It would not surprise me if their next game is designed from the ground up with modding in mind.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Serious questions: What are their future plans? If they are making more games in the future, will they be moddable?

Also:

vyelkin posted:

Make an event where it turns out one of your bros is a trans man, and when you somehow find out they're genetically female they're like "so what, I'm as much a man as you are" and then you don't have to change the pronouns in every event because they continue to go by he/him.

Bonus points because some bigot's head would explode when this event happened to their favourite bro 200 days into a campaign and then they would leave a negative Steam review saying the devs ruined the game with SJW propaganda.

:colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I'm not against the idea at all personally, (in fact I think it would be good to add women to the game) but at this point in the game's lifecycle I highly doubt they're going to bother, and it's just something we'll need to rely on modders to add.
Since as Wizard Styles said, they'll need to make a bunch of changes to the game to allow it to happen. Not to mention the fact that they've already squeezed out most of the money they're likely ever going to make on the game, so they probably won't consider the time spent on it to be a worthwhile investment, compared to working on their other projects. (But, like everything else that's being said in this discussion, it's only speculation and therefore could be completely wrong - hopefully that's the case, since a bit of diversity would be good!)

To give you a serious answer: as I understand it, there's a mod that just adds in lady sprites. That's it. That's the bare minimum of what these devs need to do to add ladies to their game. They could add some bells and whistles, but that's all they need to do. At this point, the only reason they haven't done so is cowardice, and I am going to keep banging this drum because god drat it, ladies deserve to get their faces eaten off by nachzehrers too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bang on that drum, sure.

Might wanna make sure you also do it on a forums the Dev's actually read, tho ;)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

StrixNebulosa posted:

To give you a serious answer: as I understand it, there's a mod that just adds in lady sprites. That's it. That's the bare minimum of what these devs need to do to add ladies to their game. They could add some bells and whistles, but that's all they need to do. At this point, the only reason they haven't done so is cowardice, and I am going to keep banging this drum because god drat it, ladies deserve to get their faces eaten off by nachzehrers too.
If they released something at the level of that mod it'd mostly earn them ridicule. Because with that mod you get supposedly female mercenaries with male voices that are treated as men in all events.

The bare minimum they'd have to do is more like:
Add a gender variable to all bros.
Add specific sounds, faces and other cosmetic options based on gender.
Go over existing events, add variable pronouns etc., probably check if some shouldn't require the mercenary in question to be male.
Write some new events for female mercs.

Again, I'm not saying this isn't worth doing or would take ages, but there is some work involved here.
Really, the main thing I think you can fault them for is not future-proofing that poo poo during development to make adding Battle Sisters later on less of a pain in the rear end.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 8, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

If they released something at the level of that mod it'd mostly earn them ridicule. Because with that mod you get supposedly female mercenaries with male voices that are treated as men in all events.

The bare minimum they'd have to do is more like:
Add a gender variable to all bros.
Add specific sounds, faces and other cosmetic options based on gender.
Go over existing events, add variable pronouns etc., probably check if some shouldn't require the mercenary in question to be male.
Write some new events for female mercs.

Again, I'm not saying this isn't worth doing or would take ages, but there is some work involved here.
Really, the main thing I think you can fault them for is not future-proofing that poo poo during development to make adding Battle Sisters later on less of a pain in the rear end later on.

That's fair.

dogstile posted:

Bang on that drum, sure.

Might wanna make sure you also do it on a forums the Dev's actually read, tho ;)

You gonna buy them an account here or?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah I don't care either way :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Seems like something that would end up as part of another DLC/expansion

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
It would've been nice if you could take on a stronghold as your own, and become a robber baron or a vassal to a noble house.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

torsoboy posted:

It would've been nice if you could take on a stronghold as your own, and become a robber baron or a vassal to a noble house.
pair sisters with a "Heir to the Throne" expansion that gives you a stronghold, lineage, and eventually a noble house

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jackard posted:

pair sisters with a "Heir to the Throne" expansion that gives you a stronghold, lineage, and eventually a noble house

This sounds more like a Battle Brothers 2 kind of thing but it would rule and I would buy that sequel in a heartbeat

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Bootstrap Brothers 2, kicking rear end and taking a previously unknown name and making it into a reputable noble household.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Weekly DLC devblog

quote:

The ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC is set to release on the 29th of this month and by now it’s essentially feature-complete. We’ve moved on to thoroughly test, balance and polish everything, but there’s still so many interesting smaller things we haven’t even talked about yet. Let’s shine a light on some more of these this week!

Mercenary Psychology
A mercenary’s life isn’t easy, and seeing the man to the left split in two by an orc and the man to the right mauled by an unhold does put a strain on the psyche. People react differently to this, and so we’re introducing several new traits that characters can gain and lose over the course of a campaign depending on how their time with the company goes, what their background is and what other traits they have.

For example, a devastating loss against orcs may result in a character starting to fear greenskins and having less resolve when in battle against them. A sentiment that most people who played Battle Brothers can sympathize with. But as he grows in experience and is hardened by battle, he will eventually overcome his fear and lose the trait again. At the same time, another character may handle the loss quite differently, become more determined and start to hate greenskins instead, gaining a bonus to resolve when fighting against them. All in all, the number of new character traits has now climbed to be 16 – good, bad, and combinations of the two. Most of them have event interactions, some unlock additional options in events, and many of them can be gained or lost by events.

Events
Speaking of events, we’re currently at 52 new ones for the game. There’s still time left until release, so it’ll likely end up to be even more in the end. Alongside these events we’re also adding a lot of new illustrations and updating a couple of older ones with more high quality artwork.

Resilience
As part of the free update accompanying the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC, we’re doing a balance pass on all of the character perks. The objective isn’t to make the game any easier or harder, but to further improve build variety, especially in the late game. You’ll find a list of all perk changes in the changelog once the update is live, but there’s two perks, one old and one new, which we want to talk about in more detail.

The ‘Hold Out’ perk stands out as the least-picked perk in the game currently; it benefits you only in a specific situation you want to avoid as much as possible, while at the same time you can pick other perks instead that actually help you to avoid getting into that situation in the first place. We’re going to entirely replace the ‘Hold Out’ perk with a new perk called ‘Resilient’. If you’re one of the few people that liked to pick the old ‘Hold Out’ perk, fret not, for you can now get the same effect without having to spend a perk point for it by drinking an ‘Iron Will Potion’ which can be crafted at the taxidermist from relatively common ingredients.

The new ‘Resilient’ perk reduces the duration of any negative status effect with a finite duration by one turn, up to a minimum of one turn. For example, the ‘Bleeding’ or ‘Poisoned’ status effects both have a duration of two turns, which get reduced to one turn. Of course, with a shorter duration, those two effects will also inflict less damage to a character. And quite importantly, some new status effects, like being ‘Charmed’ by a Hexe, also get their duration reduced by one turn. It’s not necessary to have the perk in order to beat the Hexe at all, but it is one possible counter and can be quite helpful if you otherwise struggle against opponents which rely on negative status effects to make your life hell.

More Proactive Garrisons
And speaking of making your life hell, enemy bases are more proactive now in sending out parties to intercept anyone that threatens them and that they can realistically take on. Camping right next to a bandit hideout to wait for morning may not be the best idea anymore, and even locations infested by undead may send out parties come night. On the bright side, if a base sends out a party to intercept enemies, their garrison will be weakened, and in some cases only a skeleton crew will remain. You can use it to your advantage by splitting a large enemy force in two, or even attack while a third party is luring part of a garrison away!
Cool stuff. I hope they slightly increase the rate of events since they are adding so many new ones. There are still some base game events I have not seen after 150+ hours into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't want a stronghold unless it has a basement full of orcs to kill and loot. :colbert:

quote:

More Proactive Garrisons
And speaking of making your life hell, enemy bases are more proactive now in sending out parties to intercept anyone that threatens them and that they can realistically take on. Camping right next to a bandit hideout to wait for morning may not be the best idea anymore, and even locations infested by undead may send out parties come night. On the bright side, if a base sends out a party to intercept enemies, their garrison will be weakened, and in some cases only a skeleton crew will remain. You can use it to your advantage by splitting a large enemy force in two, or even attack while a third party is luring part of a garrison away!
Well, I just failed No Nut November. Pray for me.