Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

predicto posted:

I honestly think that was a deliberate strategy on his part. Try to combine the clueless angry "Feinstein is a communist" GOP vote with the legitimately angry "Feinstein is a senile dinosaur" progressive vote to get to 50.1 percent.

Honestly, he did better than I expected him to given her institutional advantages.

I was expecting a complete blowout but he actually held her to a respectable margin, especially given an anemic campaign. But regardless it seems we're stuck with her until someone finds her phylactery/horcrux/insert other joke about her being a deathless lich.

Family Values posted:

Prop 11 is a poster child for why direct democracy is bad in most cases. The general electorate shouldn't be expected to understand all the nuances of a labor dispute of one particular industry, and that industry shouldn't be essentially allowed to buy their way onto a ballot. A statewide ballot proposition should only be used for issues that affect virtually everyone in the state.

I don't really think it's proof we're in 'neoliberal hell' considering 5 and 6 both lost.

We need to reform the proposition process.

Yeah, giving these powerful corporations or other institutions, which already have access to legislators and the writing of law, a way to do an end-run around those duly-elected legislators whenever they don't like the outcome is a major corrupting force. And the prop system was enacted back when the population was less than a tenth of what it is now; it might've been reasonable to educate a voting population of a few hundred thousand (at best). A potential voting population of 20 million is another story. They're going to get their info from whoever can afford to run the most ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The general electorate should be class conscious enough to automatically reject anything a boss wants.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zhulik posted:

The general electorate should be class conscious enough to automatically reject anything a boss wants.

That won’t happen until we remove of the brain sickness of a lot of Americans fantasying that they’ll be their own boss someday.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zhulik posted:

But that could be me!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People hate the idea of someone they consider inferior or lazier somehow getting any kind of benefit or parity. We are classist as hell.

Wasn't there some survey that basically asked, "If you were the boss, what pay structure would you favor? You getting 120k and your subordinates getting 100k, or you getting 60k and your subordinates getting 20k?" And people tended to choose the latter, because they coudln't bear the idea of someone 'below' them making nearly as much money as they are.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zhulik posted:

yeah, this.

the fact that the typical american is stressed out and busy as hell from working multiple jobs and doesnt have the time or energy to do the amount of research necessary to make an informed vote, or that doing that research is nearly impossible because most of the information you come across is going to be bullshit propaganda and you have to be savvy enough to figure this out, or the fact that the wealthy few can use their wealth to warp the political discussion and create these unending piles of bullshit that every normal person has to try and sift through are all perversions of democracy at a fundamental level.
the fuckups of the proposition system are not indictments of democracy per se because the system is not democratic under the hilariously broken campaign finance laws

e: speaking of,
Buffett-owned DaVita jumps 10% after voters reject cap on dialysis revenue

quote:

DaVita shares soared Wednesday after California voters rejected a ballot measure that would have capped the amount of money dialysis providers in the state can earn on certain patients.

In a statement Wednesday, the SEIU said DaVita and the dialysis industry used "massive spending to scare and mislead Californians; imagine if that money had been spent to improve conditions in the clinics instead."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/buffett-owned-davita-jumps-after-voters-reject-cap-on-dialysis-revenue.html

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
meanwhile.........out here in MagaChud country, Real Americans are flying Trump flags and anti-gay marriage placards in front of the Roseville Kaiser Med Center in celebration of Emperor Orange's defeat of the "Libtards."

I donated $20 to the Placer County Food Bank (via Raley's) to trigger them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ah placer county, orange county's redneck norcal cousin

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1060251186136178688

:unsmith:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i was at an election party last night and this girl i was with spent literally a hundred hours knocking on doors in CA-10 for harder

it was real :smith: to see her as the night went on

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol :rip: our education system

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

gently caress tuck

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ah placer county, orange county's redneck norcal cousin

169% SPOT ON - but at least Roseville proper seems to be normal and I saw way more brave souls with Morse rather than McClintock signs in my area of 95661......up towards the hills, however............... :eek:

Denham is sponsored by the Gallo's and other actual billionaire "farmers", it was crazy it was even that close.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Family Values posted:

Prop 11 is a poster child for why direct democracy is bad in most cases. The general electorate shouldn't be expected to understand all the nuances of a labor dispute of one particular industry, and that industry shouldn't be essentially allowed to buy their way onto a ballot. A statewide ballot proposition should only be used for issues that affect virtually everyone in the state.

I don't really think it's proof we're in 'neoliberal hell' considering 5 and 6 both lost.

There was no argument against in the official voter guide.

They get blasted with ads all day to vote for Prop 11, don't see any ads against Prop 11 and then when they go to check the official guides for some sort of unbiased argument against the prop there's nothing.

How do you expect voters to figure this poo poo out?

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 7, 2018

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

FCKGW posted:

They get blasted with ads all day to vote for Prop 11, don't see any ads against Prop 11 and then when they go to check the official guides for some sort of unbiased argument against the prop there's nothing.

I don't. That's the point. It shouldn't have been a proposition in the first place. It's the type of issue that needs to be decided by a state labor board or whatever, not the voters.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

We have the entire sum of human knowledge at our fingertips but lol if you expect people to spend even a minute to look poo poo up.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FCKGW posted:

Who gets to write that? Can one of us submit something and get accepted by default?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Being bought is a feature of the system

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zhulik posted:

I think you're misreading this.

Two props both were about healthcare availability and the superficial read on both was that approving them would increase or maintain access to healthcare.

People are utterly terrified about their healthcare. They are very conscious about it. If you had put M4A on the same ballot it would have won massively.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If you look at the election map for CA all of those conservative dickbag inland districts voted down Prop 1- but sure it's Republicans who love veterans.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Glass of Milk posted:

If you look at the election map for CA all of those conservative dickbag inland districts voted down Prop 1- but sure it's Republicans who love veterans.

FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY so long as poors are hurt by it

Skyscraper posted:

Who gets to write that? Can one of us submit something and get accepted by default?

I would be super interested if anyone has an answer to this. I tried to look it up but I can't find the info.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Family Values posted:

6’s wording definitely saved it. It was winning pretty handily at first. I also think there’s just enough people now who aren’t covered by Prop 13 to get people to vote against more handouts for the gentry. Classism remains strong as ever, of course.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

169% SPOT ON - but at least Roseville proper seems to be normal and I saw way more brave souls with Morse rather than McClintock signs in my area of 95661......up towards the hills, however............... :eek:

Denham is sponsored by the Gallo's and other actual billionaire "farmers", it was crazy it was even that close.

Roseville here as well. Every loving time I checked my mail, it was filled to the top with Morse ads. My McClintock vote was out of pure spite.

Keyser_Soze posted:

meanwhile.........out here in MagaChud country, Real Americans are flying Trump flags and anti-gay marriage placards in front of the Roseville Kaiser Med Center in celebration of Emperor Orange's defeat of the "Libtards."

I donated $20 to the Placer County Food Bank (via Raley's) to trigger them.

What time? I drove by Kaiser and saw nothing this morning.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 7, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good news, San Diegans! Judge Kreep lost. By a lot.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hell yeah. Our DSA had the best endorsement: "Matt Brower. His opponent is the awful Gary Kreep."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How did the various district attorney races go? Did any of the lovely ones get ousted?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Basically anyone can submit an argument for or against, and then the Secretary of State's office picks one to represent the for side and one to represent the against, and then gives each a chance at rebuttal. There are some specific rules for which argument takes precedence over which I think. If nothing is submitted for a side then the Secretary of State is supposed to basically put out a cattle call to the public to get an argument.

At the local level, this is handled by the county board of elections rather than the Secretary of State. Counties often also have paid slots in their voter guides for people who's argument hasn't been chosen. In SF the cost for this is $200 plus $2 per word.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kill All Humans posted:

We have the entire sum of human knowledge at our fingertips but lol if you expect people to spend even a minute to look poo poo up.

*Navigates to Breitbart's CA voter guide*

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kill All Humans posted:

The entire political system is set up to disenfranchise people.

*soon*

Why are people not voting? gently caress those people they are at fault.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

The entire political system is set up to disenfranchise people.

*soon*

Why are people not voting? gently caress those people they are at fault.

I know at least several people who purposely don’t vote because “there’s no difference between Dems and the GOP” and “all props are designed to screw you over one way or another and you’re an idiot for trusting the government at all”. They then send me a link of that one George Carlin bit and go on their way.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Katie Hill (D) was just confirmed as the winner for CA-25, beating Steve Knight, the incumbent R who just conceded. I'm pretty happy about this, since the district that houses the Reagan Library is as Republican as you'd expect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ponzicar posted:

Katie Hill (D) was just confirmed as the winner for CA-25, beating Steve Knight, the incumbent R who just conceded. I'm pretty happy about this, since the district that houses the Reagan Library is as Republican as you'd expect.

Holy poo poo I used to live in that district and it is peak white suburban evangelical land. How the gently caress did the Dems win there :eyepop:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sydin posted:

Holy poo poo I used to live in that district and it is peak white suburban evangelical land. How the gently caress did the Dems win there :eyepop:

Its no oakpark/agoura/westlake though.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Keyser_Soze posted:

at least Roseville proper seems to be normal and I saw way more brave souls with Morse rather than McClintock signs in my area of 95661......up towards the hills, however............... :eek:
Yeah, here in Roseville is... ok. Leave Roseville in any direction and it gets redder pretty quick.

* East gets you the rich Granite Bay people.
* North to Loomis gets you the deranged hillbillies. (like my extended family)
* South is Citrus Heights, which is like Loomis but not rural.
* West is... I've never known or cared what is to the west. I did not realize that until now.

Tom McClintock's office is a couple blocks from my apartment, and on bad days its a real temptation to just walk to his office to see if here's there to give the middle finger to in person.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sydin posted:

there's also the antelope valley with an activated mostly black and latino population nowadays, though knight's family is (was) an institution in the antelope valley to begin with; there's even a high school named for steve knight's father in lancaster or palmdale

fun fact one of my friends went to harvard westlake with steve knight's son and said he was about as big of a piece of poo poo as you'd imagine

Robot Hobo posted:

Yeah, here in Roseville is... ok. Leave Roseville in any direction and it gets redder pretty quick.

* East gets you the rich Granite Bay people.
* North to Loomis gets you the deranged hillbillies. (like my extended family)
* South is Citrus Heights, which is like Loomis but not rural.
* West is... I've never known or cared what is to the west. I did not realize that until now.

Tom McClintock's office is a couple blocks from my apartment, and on bad days its a real temptation to just walk to his office to see if here's there to give the middle finger to in person.

everyone i've known from rocklin was rich and racist and pasty white, personally

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kill All Humans posted:

I look at the CA voter guide and see no opposition to getting rid of daylight savings time and requiring EMTs to be "on call" on breaks. Why bother looking up any more information if it appears that no one seems to oppose these obviously common sense measures?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
......all these areas are getting infiltrated by Bay Area and/or LA telecommuter refugees.......like me......change is coming whether you like it or not, chuds!

Katie Hill came across great in all those Vice News Tonight shows w/her. I think her family has also been there a long time and her dad was a cop or something so maybe he had some influence.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Gang Gets a Congresswoman Elected

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Just saw a dude on FB who drives a tractor trailer complaining about having to pay a bit more for road repair.

So that's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

lol i looked up steve knight's father and he was the author for a "ban gay marriage" prop in 2000