Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Whitaker to oversee the Mueller probe, per CNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Sure, in the Kabuki sense.

Also, importantly, the legal and procedural ones.

Majorian posted:

[Thing] doesn't matter to me one iota, and it shouldn't matter to you or any right-thinking voter
Evergreen Maj quote.

VitalSigns posted:

Wow where else are we going to find a Democrat capable of winning in Illinois, real strong resume right there
"Won a statewide election", in any state, is a level of electoral success that most of the names listed thus far (especially VP) have never reached. I'm not particularly troubled by it, but it is how some folks ascertain viability/credibility!

Teddybear posted:

All firing Mueller would do is that the Democrats would at minimum interview him extensively about the investigation and much more likely hire him as a special counsel to resume the investigation.
My understanding is that Mueller would be severely constrained by reporting through the House as opposed to reporting through Justice for separation of power reasons.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So this means Hillary is going to be investigated?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mdemone posted:

loving INDICT SOMEBODY

DO SOMETHING

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

It wouldn't happen that smoothly and would delay a lot of good things happening

Of course it wouldn't happen that smoothly, but here's the thing: I'm really, really not convinced that any of the candidates on the docket right now could beat Trump other than Bernie. And that really needs to be objective number one. So I'd much rather roll the dice with Bernie and face the possibility that he could become incapacitated during his first time, than run someone who I think will likely lose and give Trump a second term.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The quotation marks around for cause in that sentence are doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Goddamnit there are no breaks this is just an ongoing 24 month long trainwreck.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Trump seems to have come to the conclusion that he could only do a Saturday Night Massacre after the midterms. Sessions supports the Trump agenda and is fine with them killing the Mueller investigation, and figured that this timing makes the most sense for everyone involved.

It means they don't have a massive scandal on their hands before a critical election. They sooner they do it after the midterms, the longer between firing Mueller and November 2020.

But doesn't 'rocking the boat' now that Dems control the house just add more fuel to their fire as ammunition to begin investigations?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh good. I'm sure the "I hate Hillary" guy will be very impartial! :downs:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Is he going to... Lock her up?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haha

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/1060261804826390528

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DandyLion posted:

Yeah I'm having a tough time figuring out the angle where him resigning after the mid-terms gains them anything.....

they maybe felt resigning before might affect turnout for the reason that it 100% would

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Koalas Massacre posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1060046869936500736

This would be Blum of Blumhouse who produced Get Out fwiw
Was waiting for the jump scare at the end, 1/10.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

fishing with the fam posted:

The quotation marks around for cause in that sentence are doing a lot of heavy lifting.

That opinion piece he wrote calls looking into Trump's financials a clear red line so ...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Evergreen Maj quote.

I'll admit I overstated things there, but I think people really are too quick to see Bernie's age as a deal-breaker - or more of a deal-breaker than the other likely Democratic candidates' issues.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't worry if they arrest Hillary Clinton, she has 8 new robot masters set up on a timer to activate and break her out of prison.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

YEAHHHHHH EAT SHITTYTTT

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So do we just get a re-do with this new obstruction of justice?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

As a reminder, FIRED has extremely different legal implications than RESIGNED

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I just want Beto to be the next character in Overwatch

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lookin for chud tears, someone hook me up

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

corn in the bible posted:

they maybe felt resigning before might affect turnout for the reason that it 100% would

Sure but that's why you do it months ago, it's not like Trump hating Sessions is some new development, and in Trumptime doing it in say June might as well have been doing it during the reign of Constantine the Great.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

But doesn't 'rocking the boat' now that Dems control the house just add more fuel to their fire as ammunition to begin investigations?

Sure, but Congress can't issue indictments and they can't create an independent counsel. Trump is way more scared of prosecutors than he is of impeachment.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eke out posted:

Where does resigned "at your request" fit in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sessions' replacement will have firing power over Mueller, right? It won't stick with Rosenstein?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eke out posted:

what about "asked to resign"

i mean, in the private sector, if you are asked to resign, that basically means "because we're firing you if you don't"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he will loving find one the second Jr gets indited or such. if it gets shut, poo poo will leak and or get put in the closet until the house reopens poo poo. i like to think mueller is almost done anyway.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Sessions' replacement will have firing power over Mueller, right? It won't stick with Rosenstein?

Yeah, Whitaker is now in charge of the special counsel probe.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1060048809353449472

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Lookin for chud tears, someone hook me up

Super MAGA chud talk radio conservative in the office was extremely loving chippy today. He's not happy.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Fired with all of the nice benefits of a resignation.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Look on the bright side, after they LOCK HER UP she won't be able to act on any funny ideas about running for president again in 2020!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah and this guy is a big enough chud to fire him but who knows what will happen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's a resignation. hed only be fired if he said no and trump kicked him out anyway

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Doesn't matter, it's still a resignation.

Which honestly seems like a huge loving loophole given the stakes. Oh yeah, our country? Nah it fell apart because of a pedantic loophole.

Wait that’s essentially the nature of law. Man...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah and this guy is a big enough chud to fire him but who knows what will happen.

you can't fire the special counsel without cause and a written report as to why to congress

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Sure would have been nice to have taken the Senate.... Or at least closed the margin in case one or two Republicans found their spines

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Have any Democrats managed to squeak out some noises about Sessions yet?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
ahahaha Kelly had to call Sessions because Trump is too chickenshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Look on the bright side, after they LOCK HER UP she won't be able to act on any funny ideas about running for president again in 2020!

Ugh, but then you just know that's when Neera decides to take up her banner.