Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Spaced God posted:

To confirm: Because Sessions resigned, trump can just appoint anyone without senate approval, right?

Doesn’t the appointee have to already have passed confirmation? I’m so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

does anyone honestly think that trump has any sense of the legal jeopardy he's in from Mueller, or that he has the intelligence to execute a convoluted plan to stop Mueller? he governs by impulse. that's pretty much his only driving motivation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well really if you think about it Trump's already won because death eventually comes for all things

that really sounds more like a Ted Cruz tagline

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

evilweasel posted:

what things, precisely

Nancy Pelosi posted:

We will strive for bipartisanship, with fairness on all sides. We have a responsibility to find our common ground where we can, stand our ground where we can’t, but we must try. We’ll have a bipartisan marketplace of ideas that makes our democracy strong. A Democratic congress will work for solutions that bring us together, because we have all had enough of division. The American people want peace. They want results. They want us to work for positive results for their lives.

These things, for example, are bad. She also apparently gave a shout out to the Founding Fathers (yikes)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

Unlikely. The most likely reason is simply that Republicans made him wait until after the midterms because they were concerned it would hurt them. The midterms are over, so Trump is now doing what he always wanted to do.

Can't believe I'm saying this about anything, but Trump was sorta right. It would have been much smarter for him to obstruct the investigation up front than to let it drag on, rope in a bunch of his cronies, and then try to kill it after the mid-terms just so the Democrats can revive it in a different form, undoubtedly with the help of Mueller, the second they take over the House.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Senate confirmation is just a rubber stamp after Kavanaugh. Kobach or worse would be an easy lift.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Spaced God posted:

To confirm: Because Sessions resigned, trump can just appoint anyone without senate approval, right?

Does it really matter? Do you think the Senate is actually going to go against Dear Leader?

edit: see above, after Kavanaugh, I'm wondering if someone who went up there and said "I love killing kids" would get more than hemming and hawing before the Senate confirmed him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do what Charlie Brown should have done the whole time. Pretend you believe Lucy is gonna let you kick the football, then back up, run, and kick her straight in the face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Silver lining: Lindsay Graham debased himself into a screaming crying mess for a man he knew was a rapist for absolutely nothing in return :devil:

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Dems might take NJ-03 after all:
https://twitter.com/amysrosenberg/status/1060272129277652992
If this is right, Chris Smith in NJ-04 will be only NJ republican left in office on a national level.

I moved from Frank Pallone's district to Chris Smith's, I hate Smith so God drat much.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The Kingfish posted:

These things, for example, are bad. She also apparently gave a shout out to the Founding Fathers (yikes)

What you quoted does not mean that a democratic house is now going to fasttrack every piece of garbage legislation the minority or the senate produces holy poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

that is meaningless and you're being an idiot for suggesting it's about being centrist

here's a hint: you know what has bipartisan support (among the public)? lots of major democratic priorities that republicans will block

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought this gamer dude was new AG, just acting AG?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kris Kobach is going to be the first AG to be sanctioned by a judge within the last year and told he needs to take remedial courses on the federal rules of evidence.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Kemp continues his rampage of Totally Normal Things for a Secretary of State to do.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1060276001714900992?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nine-gear crow posted:

Silver lining: Lindsay Graham debased himself into a screaming crying mess for a man he knew was a rapist for absolutely nothing in return :devil:

Literally every single person who debases themselves for Trump gets thrown under the bus eventually.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

skylined! posted:

What you quoted does not mean that a democratic house is now going to fasttrack every piece of garbage legislation the minority or the senate produces holy poo poo

Those are your words not mine. All I said was the Pelosi is bad. She is out of touch and out of ideas. She shouldn't get the job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Acting AG but with full powers of the AG's office, including overseeing the Russia probe.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I like how shits about to pop off and someone is still trying to have that Pelosi Bad derail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TulliusCicero posted:

No one has even heard of this dude until now. Where the gently caress did he come from? How old is he? How much experience in law does he even have?

he was a local AG for a while but, more importantly, he wrote an article explaining that Trump should get Sessions to resign so that he can appoint an acting AG without confirmation who will then shutter the Mueller investigation through budgetary restriction, and now, mysteriously, he is the acting AG after Sessions suddenly departed :thunk:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

Kris Kobach is going to be the first AG to be sanctioned by a judge within the last year and told he needs to take remedial courses on the federal rules of evidence.

that was glorious and thank you for reminding me of it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Acting AG. He’s only allowed to serve for 200 days from today before they either need to confirm a new actual AG, or swap in a new acting AG if the senate stalls out on it. But this is Trump and Trump doesn’t give a poo poo about rules and laws so who the gently caress knows?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I wonder if Sessions knew today was the day he was quitting, or if he found out at the same time the rest of us did. Is this the resignation that Jeff turned in like a year ago that Trump refused at the time, and it's just been sitting in a drawer waiting for an emergency? (The actual emergency being that the news was talking about something besides Trump today, which is unacceptable)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tibalt posted:

This feels less thought out than the Comey firing.

Why do you think that? This has seemed inevitable for a while.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

that is meaningless and you're being an idiot for suggesting it's about being centrist

here's a hint: you know what has bipartisan support (among the public)? lots of major democratic priorities that republicans will block

Both the policies and the presentation suggests otherwise, as do the continued losses of those holding such positions.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay so let's game this out.

Trump doesn't fire Mueller, he just locks him down and cuts his budget to nothing. The Senate doesn't do anything about it because they are Republicans and basically all traitors to the concept of democracy. There are some protests because Rosenstein is out, but none of the fill-the-streets stuff because Mueller wasn't technically fired.

What happens next? Can the investigations proceed with zero budget? Does it matter if they do, if the Senate won't cooperate? How much does Dems holding the House influence this?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The Kingfish posted:

Those are your words not mine. All I said was the Pelosi is bad. She is out of touch and out of ideas. She shouldn't get the job.

Explain why what you quoted is bad, in detail.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

evilweasel posted:

if it has bipartisan support then, by definition, the other party wouldn't block it. Its what bipartisan literally actually means and it has nothing to do with what the chuds actually want.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

does anyone honestly think that trump has any sense of the legal jeopardy he's in from Mueller, or that he has the intelligence to execute a convoluted plan to stop Mueller? he governs by impulse. that's pretty much his only driving motivation.

I think continuing to assume there’s no understanding or reasoning behind what the White House does is just wearing blinders.

The GOP controls 2 of 3 branches of the government and it’s not by accident.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I know this won't happen since reality is never cool at all, but I want in the next five minutes for Mueller to calmly pick up the phone, say something like "pineapple." to the guy at the other end of the line, and BAM! indictments everywhere.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/1060275980424695808

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Trump doesn't fire Mueller, he just locks him down and cuts his budget to nothing. The Senate doesn't do anything about it because they are Republicans and basically all traitors to the concept of democracy. There are some protests because Rosenstein is out, but none of the fill-the-streets stuff because Mueller wasn't technically fired.

What happens next? Can the investigations proceed with zero budget? Does it matter if they do, if the Senate won't cooperate? How much does Dems holding the House influence this?

mueller passes some subset of his presumed killswitch information to NYAG et al and possibly reaches out to the Democratic House

the Democratic House, in addition to investigating literally everything, almost certainly reaches out to Mueller

and then...?

CubanMissile posted:

I know this won't happen since reality is never cool at all, but I want in the next five minutes for Mueller to calmly pick up the phone, say something like "pineapple." to the guy at the other end of the line, and BAM! indictments everywhere.

this except a press conference

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

new thread title please

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/8482798649

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Does anyone think that Trump is in any real legal jeopardy from Mueller at all? Why and how?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skylined! posted:

Do you honestly believe Republicans and Trump would allow any bills to get passed that will actually do good without demanding a worse evil in exchange?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Rinkles posted:

Why do you think that? This has seemed inevitable for a while.
Because he did it as first order of business the morning after the election.

Like, there HAD to be a better way to present this that didn't involve Sessions writing a resignation letter that started with "As per your orders I'm fired" in such a way that it seemed to be in response to the election.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarsapariller posted:

My guess is that the new House Intelligence committee issues a bunch of subpoenas in a few months and then hopefully a lot of stuff starts getting read into the congressional record.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tibalt posted:

I like how shits about to pop off and someone is still trying to have that Pelosi Bad derail.

Pelosi's response on this day one when they get sworn in is really loving important though

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

CubanMissile posted:

Clearly the signal would be “golden shower”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

skylined! posted:

“Bipartisanship” and “common ground” are anachronistic holdovers from the Obama era.