Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

jobs too. a lot of rural areas have a dearth of jobs. and no, i don't mean jobs retraining programs are the answer, or telling truckers to learn php or something

Trucking especially is something I think the Dems need to really aggressively appeal to. Truck drivers are the backbone of the economy, the industry has moved aggressively to destroy labor organization and they benefited massively from deregulation. It's also on the verge of massive fuckery thanks to self-driving vehicles.

edit: I'm a tax evader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Silver lining: Lindsay Graham debased himself into a screaming crying mess for a man he knew was a rapist for absolutely nothing in return :devil:

Gawd, how I hope he agrees. He deserves to watch his career burn for that and a million other things.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

jobs too. a lot of rural areas have a dearth of jobs. and no, i don't mean jobs retraining programs are the answer, or telling truckers to learn php or something

They should tell people they'll bring the coal jobs back.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Just today we've already had one poster defend Republicans' voter disenfranchisement as just incompetence, not malice. Everyone is not as leftist as you think.

Sorry, you'll have to either scroll past people you don't like making posts or put them on ignore. No one will force you to actually read or respond to them.

I find this statement very strange. Being “leftist” is about the kind of government you believe should exist. Whether you think bad Republican politics come from ignorance or malice shouldn’t have any bearing on your status as a leftist.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

evilweasel posted:

Did anyone else try this approach, and did it work? One thing I don't get is how Corday got beaten badly while Brown won, despite Corday being the face of wall street regulation in favor of poor people.

i think the secret to brown's winning was economic populism + having a genuinely charismatic/likeable personality (cordray was pleasant but kinda bland imo) + incumbency. 1 out of 3 wasn't enough

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I see people posting “gently caress Kemp”, what other lovely thing did he manage to do in the last, uh, 15 minutes? Is this his team predictably trying to certify he won and avoids a runoff without counting the remaining ballots? Or did he get caught wiping the voting tallies off the servers again?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why aren’t we angrier about what Kemp did? This is voter intimidation!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I brought Brown up in the primary thread last week. His stock just rose a bunch but he's also effectively blocked from running since we need that seat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ripoff posted:

I see people posting “gently caress Kemp”, what other lovely thing did he manage to do in the last, uh, 15 minutes? Is this his team predictably trying to certify he won and avoids a runoff without counting the remaining ballots? Or did he get caught wiping the voting tallies off the servers again?

He released a massive chunk of voting data with personally identifiable information. He doxxed voters.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pollyanna posted:

I think this massively understates the level of fuckery in Georgia, he ought to be run out of town on a rail tbqh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jaxyon posted:

The change to the texas judiciary is huge

They go up again in 2 years, right? It's safe to say a fair number of those judges won't get past one term. Maybe some will, though

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

On topic: what can and should the party do to appeal to rural voters? I think the "move left" answer is too simplistic. I feel like there have to be enough rural people who care about something other than their stupid white supremacy to win over those regions. And learning to win in rural zones is probably easier than abolishing the Senate.

Just look at how big minimum wage increases just passed in a bunch of rural deep red states. People want stuff that meaningfully improves their lives. That means good jobs, good wages, good affrodable healthcare, strong unions, and generally pretending that rural voters have any value outside of their potential as an input for industry. Yes, that might be difficult because of rural distrust toward Democrats, but that's all the more reason to take it in a progressive populist direction rather than the pro-corporate angle too many centrist Dems like to follow.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

Outing people's disability status is a huge violation as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ripoff posted:

accidentally / 'accidentally' posted a link to a database of absentee ballots

name, address, whether elderly/disabled, maybe another data category or two?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lightning Knight posted:

Trucking especially is something I think the Dems need to really aggressively appeal to. Truck drivers are the backbone of the economy, the industry has moved aggressively to destroy labor organization and they benefited massively from deregulation. It's also on the verge of massive fuckery thanks to self-driving vehicles.

Trucking is going to massively tank if we ever get around to actually imposing proper taxes on trucking companies to compensate for the hilarious amounts of damage they do to national infrastructure.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ripoff posted:

He doxxed 290k voters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

They go up again in 2 years, right? It's safe to say a fair number of those judges won't get past one term. Maybe some will, though

they're 4 or 6 year terms

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

He released a massive chunk of voting data with personally identifiable information. He doxxed voters.

Jesus. :stare: He’s like GA’s personal trump at this point, somehow never hitting the bottom of the barrel.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Where are you getting this absurd idea that the people here who are to the left of you aren't actually involved in politics IRL, and are just sulking and complaining online?

Because you seem to be disgusted at the idea of trying in any way to actually win a primary.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

Is reconstruction 2.0 with some new deal salted into it the path to rural voter victory?

I am hesitant to believe in this simply because more than half of rural voters will flat out reject anything put forth by someone with a D next to their name. I am not sure how you get around that issue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Condiv posted:

I'm sympathetic to arguments against retraining programs, when the jobs they retrain for require moving, which can be both financially and personally taxing.

So yeah, massive local investment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

they're 6 year terms

I thought some local judge seats were 2 year terms. That fuckin owns then

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Brian Kemp isn't even officially governor yet and he's already trying to loving kill me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He won by 100,000 votes and removed 750,000 voter registrations over the last year

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Telsa Cola posted:

Trucking is going to massively tank if we ever get around to actually imposing proper taxes on trucking company to compensate for the hilarious amounts of damage they do to national infrastructure.

Also the environment.

But truckers do need to be organized.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

He doxxed 290k voters.

I don't understand, what was the point of that?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Squalid posted:

This is really an unpleasant habit I don’t think anyone should indulge in. If you have a problem with what someone had said, you should quote them and be specific. Make these unprovable and broad statements about ill defined groups comes off as variably defensive, condescending, or straw-many.

If you can just point to exactly the person you mean you side step this issue completely.

Are you being loving obtuse because I absolutely quoted the posting was replying to when I posted that tweet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/1060294357079810054

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

I thought some local judge seats were 2 year terms. That fuckin owns then

It might be 2 at the lower levels, but the state spots if any won would be higher

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

I don't understand, what was the point of that?

abrams is still agitating for a recount so i guess it's insurance in case she somehow gets one

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Because you seem to be disgusted at the idea of trying in any way to actually win a primary.

Where are you getting that from?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

good start i guess

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Push El Burrito posted:

They should tell people they'll bring the coal jobs back.

nice snark

another things dems can do to appeal to rural voters is healthcare. a lot of rural clinics are shutting down, and that's not great when you're being forced to pay for health insurance you can barely use

also, dems should stop snuggling up to banks

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is reconstruction 2.0 with some new deal salted into it the path to rural voter victory?

I am hesitant to believe in this simply because more than half of rural voters will flat out reject anything put forth by someone with a D next to their name. I am not sure how you get around that issue.

I think they need to get around the perception that Democrats are Outsider Others. Ojeda, for example, in WV, had the right kind of tone and authenticity but lost imo because his actual platform wasn't particularly impressive or radical. He talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. Somebody with the platform of AOC but the demeanor of Ojeda would sweep WV.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

It might be 2 at the lower levels, but the state spots if any won would be higher

we're mostly talking county judges here ie harris

i know the supreme court didn't change. appeals did though right, which owns

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 7, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Hooray for Cat Tax. Better than the Blue Dog Tax.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lycus posted:

I'm sympathetic to arguments against retraining programs, when the jobs they retrain for require moving, which can be both financially and personally taxing.

So yeah, massive local investment.

eaxctly!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Please ignore that I voted to confirm a SCOTUS judge who is on record as shielding the President from said investigation."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Just look at how big minimum wage increases just passed in a bunch of rural deep red states. People want stuff that meaningfully improves their lives. That means good jobs, good wages, good affrodable healthcare, strong unions, and generally pretending that rural voters have any value outside of their potential as an input for industry. Yes, that might be difficult because of rural distrust toward Democrats, but that's all the more reason to take it in a progressive populist direction rather than the pro-corporate angle too many centrist Dems like to follow.

I agree that that's necessary, but I don't think it's sufficient.

If there had never been neoliberalism and triangulation, of the party stayed the way it was supposed to be economically, I think that'd be fine but we lost the trust and deservedly so. And as much as I want lovely Dems to suffer and feel bad about losing, the fate of the world depends on Dems getting good then winning.

I just don't know if getting good is enough on its own to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brockan
Mar 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1060291423801610241