Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Monathin posted:

Please stop hanging out with Nazis, Paige. This is a frighteningly low bar to clear.

I mean, the only instance of her hanging out with actual Nazis, she didn't know they were Nazis. Has she done it other times? The Dick show guys apparently have a lovely fanbase, but aren't themselves Nazis or alt-right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Maybe do some research on the people you're going to hang out with before hanging out with them and not poo poo on people who call you out for hanging out with bad people.

Anyway, the Call of Cthulhu lp is really not what I expected.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monathin posted:

Please stop hanging out with Nazis, Paige. This is a frighteningly low bar to clear.

This wouldn't have happened if Toby Fox had made a game about how Nazis are bad and you shouldn't be willing to meet them halfway in any way.

So the true villain here is that drat dog! :shittydog: :argh:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Oh boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjoc21tuliw

Is Woolie still unspoiled on certain stuff in Naruto (e.g. who lives and dies)? Because he's about to find out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kay Kessler posted:

I mean, the only instance of her hanging out with actual Nazis, she didn't know they were Nazis. Has she done it other times? The Dick show guys apparently have a lovely fanbase, but aren't themselves Nazis or alt-right.

"Hey, I'm going to the Nazi thing"
"Girl, they Nazis"
"You're virtue signaling, looking forward to the Nazi thing"
"gently caress you"
"I couldn't have known!"

C'mon. If Paige wants to play the victim here, that's on her. Her reaction was absolutely the wrong one, and SA was always about telling stupid people they're being stupid so hi Paige. Stop being stupid. We know you're not evil, but you're being stupid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kay Kessler posted:

The Dick show guys apparently have a lovely fanbase, but aren't themselves Nazis or alt-right.

They absolutely are, you don't cultivate a fanbase that's majority made up of people up front regurgitating t_d poo poo, circling the wagons for right wing conspiracy theorists and so on without tacitly approving that.

Also who exactly is belittling her mental capabilities or whatever? Like hey if you're reading I don't know how you're getting that, it's pretty much just "Please stop playing into bigots hands" which yes, you're doing by giving them exposure, deplatforming is a thing and no, "Well people should make their own decisions about them" is not a valid position anymore, it's already been established that people don't start throwing out sieg heils and goose stepping instantly, but exposure and normalization of hatred 100% has contributed a ton to the complete shitshow we're in now, people get in with "ironic racism" and all that bullshit and then woops, you internalize that long enough and it turns out it's not and never was ironic.

Also also "I thought I was being respectful with those responses" is farcical, blowing off someone's extremely justified fear of more people they like getting radicalized as "concern trolling" and "It's just twitter" is some really cold poo poo and would you look at that, a decent chunk of responses on that big twitter thread are people playing stupid and going in for the "It's okay, WE won't ever criticize you" saves, while condemning people with the usual "You just can't have an opinion anymore unless it's the right one huh?!" shtick that ignorant assholes love to trot out.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 7, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

scary ghost dog posted:

ya maybe shes resentful about being treated like a child who needs to be taken aside and carefully explained to why the boy she was talking to is bad?????

People treat her that way because they'd rather condescend to her as if she's a naive stooge than accept that she's an rear end in a top hat who knows exactly what she's doing and doesn't care.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Yeah, I mean people make mistakes and I get how you might reflexively bristle at anyone on the internet telling you you're wrong, especially when you're a woman and probably get weirdo poo poo all the time, but sometimes people mass respond to something you do out of legit terror-embarrassment.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RareAcumen posted:

I have finally reached the World of Light point of the podcast. It is like two and a half hours in and it's everyone just marking out about how that trailer gives you tierlists on power levels.

Oof, this might actually be worse, Pat and Woolie are insufferable when it comes to power levels. DBZ gave more than one generation of kids brainworms on the subject

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 7, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Oof, this might actually be worse, Pat and Woolie are insufferable when it comes to power levels. DBZ gave more than one generation of kids brainworms on the subject

I'm one of those people too so I can't help you there.

Like, 'Oh hey, Midoriya can lift a girder one-handed with Full-Cowl now. Neat! That's gotta be like a tenth of a percent of All Might in his prime or something!'

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

I'm one of those people too so I can't help you there.

Like, 'Oh hey, Midoriya can lift a girder one-handed with Full-Cowl now. Neat! That's gotta be like a tenth of a percent of All Might in his prime or something!'

To be fair, there's a difference between that and HIS NUMBERS ARE BIGGER SO HE WINS NO MATTER WHAT morons

Expecting general internalized consistency with feats shown in a thing is not power level stupidity

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Scrap Dragon posted:

They barely watch DBZ. All their power level story poo poo came from the Street Fighter Alpha games.

The SFV LP was just them sucking on Nash for being overpowered, despite losing every match.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Burkion posted:

To be fair, there's a difference between that and HIS NUMBERS ARE BIGGER SO HE WINS NO MATTER WHAT morons

Expecting general internalized consistency with feats shown in a thing is not power level stupidity

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I was complaining about power levels. Stuff like the guys getting upset that Jax beat Liu Kang in the MKX story mode

Tae posted:

They barely watch DBZ. All their power level story poo poo came from the Street Fighter Alpha games.

The SFV LP was just them sucking on Nash for being overpowered, despite losing every match.

They barely talk about DBZ nowadays but they almost definitely watched it when they were younger

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

Turns out you lose a lot of your power level when you're a zombie. Pretty sure Nash even says something to that effect in the story mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burkion posted:

Well, I also enjoy Seven Deadly Sins even once they brought in power levels for everyone. That was probably a bad example the first time along.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
"Power levels" only really make sense when everyone's power is to scream really loud and shoot balls of exploding light at each other. The second a character gets something that can't be beaten by screaming and shooting light, it becomes meaningless. In Dragonball (not Z), a lot of fighters in tournaments had weird, creative skills that had to be tackled in similarly weird and creative ways (the guy who fought just by smelling terrible, for example). In DBZ that all went out the window and everyone was basically a variation of the same fly/punch/move fast/shoot light fighter. Anything a villain did, like transform or absorb people, was just a way to make them fly/punch/move fast/shoot light even better. They kind of tried with Buu turning people into candy, but even that was beaten by "being stronger".

oh god what have i become

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HoboTech posted:

"Power levels" only really make sense when everyone's power is to scream really loud and shoot balls of exploding light at each other. The second a character gets something that can't be beaten by screaming and shooting light, it becomes meaningless. In Dragonball (not Z), a lot of fighters in tournaments had weird, creative skills that had to be tackled in similarly weird and creative ways (the guy who fought just by smelling terrible, for example). In DBZ that all went out the window and everyone was basically a variation of the same fly/punch/move fast/shoot light fighter. Anything a villain did, like transform or absorb people, was just a way to make them fly/punch/move fast/shoot light even better. They kind of tried with Buu turning people into candy, but even that was beaten by "being stronger".

oh god what have i become

Somebody clearly watched the second Dragonball Gripes video. :v:

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

TaurusOxford posted:

Somebody clearly watched the second Dragonball Gripes video. :v:

Actually, I never saw the first one. Plague was entertaining at first, but the "everything sucks and I'm always right" routine got old fast.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the homophobia was a fun twist!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I'll say

Dragon Ball Super generally does a much better job with power level poo poo, by making it more than just power level poo poo. Raw power is one thing, but if you don't have the technique or intelligence to make it count it won't matter.

There is one enemy in Super that gets by with just being The Most Powerful, everyone else has to come up with some kind of gimmick like the good ole days.

Goku Black and Zamasu, for instance, were never stronger than the heroes. They just took advantage of hax and bullshit rules and genuine team work to keep an edge.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Power Level Bullshit is why JoJos is so good. When you have a super specific power, it means that there's no objective "better" power. Even stuff that seems ridiculous on the surface like Harvest from Part 4 or Survivor from Part 6 become incredibly effective in the right situation with a degree of lateral thinking. It's never just "I am faster/stronger than you therefore you have no chance of winning".

Hell, a character from a later part has the ability of "Able to shoot their fingernails like bullets", and it becomes obvious very quickly that it's an extremely dangerous power with even just a little foresight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Burkion posted:

Goku Black and Zamasu, for instance, were never stronger than the heroes. They just took advantage of hax and bullshit rules and genuine team work to keep an edge.

Zamasu almost gets taken down by a technique that is expressly designed as a "gently caress you" to power levels.

Super was way, way better about giving the supporting cast moments to shine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell, a character from a later part has the ability of "Able to shoot their fingernails like bullets", and it becomes obvious very quickly that it's an extremely dangerous power with even just a little foresight.

bullets can be very dangerous, yeah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Burkion posted:

Goku Black literally rips open a dimension with pure strength and when he has to muse on how it happened he says "I don't really know what happened, but it was kinda cool" and this throws the fight so severely in his favor that they have to gimmick a reason for him to not kill Goku and Vegeta then and there.

I like Dragon Ball Super as much as anyone else, but the show is up its own rear end with how much it favors random power curves and throws any innovation on fighting out of the window when the actual important characters enter the show. Even a character like Hit whose entire gimmick is using ingenuity and trying to further time skip to close the gap more because he doesn't have stupid transformations has his entire technique invalidated by pure strength.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Goku Black literally rips open a dimension with pure strength and when he has to muse on how it happened he says "I don't really know what happened, but it was kinda cool" and this throws the fight so severely in his favor that they have to gimmick a reason for him to not kill Goku and Vegeta then and there.

I like Dragon Ball Super as much as anyone else, but the show is up its own rear end with how much it favors random power curves and throws any innovation on fighting out of the window when the actual important characters enter the show. Even a character like Hit whose entire gimmick is using ingenuity and trying to further time skip to close the gap more because he doesn't have stupid transformations has his entire technique invalidated by pure strength.

Eh, Super still has a lot of Power Level Bullshit, especially with Jiren in the ToP, but considering it's Dragonball, it's probably as innovative as it ever was in terms of techniques. Zamasu and Goku Black get the upper hand because of their immortality and teamwork. The clone technique is bullshit but it's basically overwhelming numbers over power, and right after that you have Trunks pulling off the goddamn Mafuba and almost winning the battle. Hell, even UI is Goku getting 100% Dodge instead of Being Buffer, and that final fight has a lot of 17 being clever and sneaking in attacks/saves for his team.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't taken the Dragonball franchise seriously since middle school, 10 years ago.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Doesn’t everyone who obsesses over power levels in the dragonball fiction get their arse kicked by someone who has decided they don’t give a poo poo about them? Feels like there’s a message there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Eh, Super still has a lot of Power Level Bullshit, especially with Jiren in the ToP, but considering it's Dragonball, it's probably as innovative as it ever was in terms of techniques. Zamasu and Goku Black get the upper hand because of their immortality and teamwork. The clone technique is bullshit but it's basically overwhelming numbers over power, and right after that you have Trunks pulling off the goddamn Mafuba and almost winning the battle. Hell, even UI is Goku getting 100% Dodge instead of Being Buffer, and that final fight has a lot of 17 being clever and sneaking in attacks/saves for his team.

Oh I'm not slamming that Super doesn't do anything new or different, it definitely does. A lot of the new characters they introduce are genuinely good and really cool, the end to ToP is loving awesome and very different from the typical Dragon Ball final fight ending while also being very in the spirit of it, they gave attention to my boy 17 and made him a big character who does a lot, and it actually has downtime between storylines that is somewhat fun and enjoyable. I just also don't think it deviates or innovates a lot from what is already in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, hell you could argue it actually takes a lot from Dragon Ball GT, but it's just done overall a lot better. I also think it still has the issue with side characters not getting enough focus and introduces a new problem of when side characters do get focus it means ultimately nothing or leaves no impact on the audience unlike stuff like Yajirobe cutting Vegeta's tail or anything Tien does in Z.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Doesn’t everyone who obsesses over power levels in the dragonball fiction get their arse kicked by someone who has decided they don’t give a poo poo about them? Feels like there’s a message there.

Power levels stop being a thing after the Namek Saga and even during the Saiyan and Namek saga, yeah everyone who cares about power scale readings gets the poo poo kicked out of them generally.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Roach Warehouse posted:

"Power levels are bullshit" is a relatively new thing, and the guys are stuck in the ways of the early english speaking Dragonball fandom. Which is pretty much defined by power level math.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw, as far as the power level poo poo the boys do goes. It's very easy to look at a thing you enjoy a lot and think about it from multiple angles and eventually reach the dreaded "Power comparison" phase of enjoying the thing you like. It's fun to think in ways with which you can gauge the powers of the characters you see on the screen and think about how the world works with regards to that. That being said, when it goes farther than a few fun thoughts to the point where Woolie is actively trying to outright say his favorite characters are stronger than Dante because he needs something to validate his choices more, it's really obnoxious. It especially feels that way in the case of Nero, as Nero was a pretty divisive character in 2008 and I'm sure Woolie had more than a few arguments with people back then about him and stuff he does because Woolie liked Nero a lot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
All the best friends could stand to learn that Canon isn't real, power levels are bullshit, and the author is dead because most of their analysis of games or narratives in general on the channel are hyper focuse on canon which blinds them and causes them to struggle and make really dumb arguments as to why Ryu lost a fight in a story mode even though he's TOTALLY CANONICALLY STRONGER than the other guy because if you're stronger you win 100% of the time against your opponent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All the best friends could stand to learn that Canon isn't real, power levels are bullshit, and the author is dead because most of their analysis of games or narratives in general on the channel are hyper focuse on canon which blinds them and causes them to struggle and make really dumb arguments as to why Ryu lost a fight in a story mode even though he's TOTALLY CANONICALLY STRONGER than the other guy because if you're stronger you win 100% of the time against your opponent.

Woolie really needs to watch HxH. Like, we need an intervention, we sit him down and make him watch six straight hours of Nen explanations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

You’d think Woolie would be better about this considering how hard he goes on Jojo, the series where seemingly invincible, big man on campus Jotaro would’ve been murked by a dang rat if he didn’t have someone with magic healing powers on standby

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie constantly breaks his own rules, he's the type to like/dislike something, and then make up a rule instead of the other way around.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's never just "I am faster/stronger than you therefore you have no chance of winning".

well....not after part 3

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

GulagDolls posted:

well....not after part 3

Well, okay, the final fight of part 3 is literally that.

But also one of the fights in part 3 is versus the sun. How do you Power Level Bullshit the sun.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah that one was good. its not all of them but theres just a significant amount where jotaro overpowers people with brute force...like the teeth and dual swords frenchman

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

In this house we respect the name Jean Piere Polnareff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I wish these guys had face cams on their hands because I wanna see what kinda nutty bullshit you've gotta be doing to pull all this stuff off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY4X7g2yRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The only part that has a lot of brute force wins is 3, and Araki gets better about it during Egypt. Jotaro bluffs a man into a mental breakdown and THEN punches him in the face.