Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Overview of the Festival of Dangerous Ideas does not give one hope. You can choose between whatever Germaine Greer is regurgitating, or Cater and Sloan's celebration of inequality, or Nial Ferguson's bloodthirsty view on history. I suppose it makes a change from US politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

bowmore posted:

No, I just can't afford meat most of the time (when someone isn't paying for hello fresh for me)
most of the poor or not well off don't eat meat, or probably shouldn't be spending money on sub-par meat

Ah yes, the fiscaltarian.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Obviously the rich are far more responsible for climate change than the poor and should pay more but meat consumption is one area where CEOs are not eating hundreds of times more meat than average people.

Oh cool so it’s a regressive tax

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Ah yes, the fiscaltarian.
lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bowmore posted:

most of the poor or not well off don't eat meat, or probably shouldn't be spending money on sub-par meat

Tax the poor out of a sometimes treat meal, got it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My favourite part of facebook is watching my friend who is a greens councilor post about how his electorate has the healthiest diet of anyone in Victoria. Anything is possible when you are loving rich and environmentally aware!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Oh cool so it’s a regressive tax

one of my least favourite things about the posters in this thread is their enthusiasm for regressive sin taxes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
TAXING CIGARETTES IS A TAX ON THE POOR

SUBSIDISE DURRIES

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Glad you like my turn of phrase. I only eat what i can afford too, so my main meats are chicken, mince and sausages.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Day tax on meat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

SUBSIDISE DURRIES

Charging $35 for a pack of darts that addicted people with stressful lovely lives keep buying and remaining poor is great.

Like you are extracting $7000 per annum now (conservatively) from someone who is likely a little bit older and probably likely to need government assistance later in life. Why? It's not to help anyone.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 8, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

SUBSIDISE DURRIES

ken oath

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
meat is murder, it shouldn't come cheap or be a treat tbh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

Just loving ban them or offer something that isn't $35 packs of darts that addicted people with stressful lovely lives keep buying and remaining poor.

The chop chop market must not be allowed onshore and must be dealt with on Nauru

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

You can't murder an animal. You slaughter it.

Lid posted:

The chop chop market must not be allowed onshore and must be dealt with on Nauru

I edited this but yeah, chop chop and illegal import tobacco is currently dominating in the west of Melbourne. $15 a pack. Now you're talking my language.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bowmore posted:

No, I just can't afford meat most of the time (when someone isn't paying for hello fresh for me)

:thunk:

bowmore posted:

Ah, now I get it.

Just because I don't like something, everyone else has to. Good job Herr Diktator

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

meat ration

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The environmental argument for not eating meat is better when it comes to me and I've cut back on meat a lot (maybe red meat once a week, chicken/fish three times and the rest is veges or eating out). I don't really care about animals slaughtered for food and the industry provides basically the only half decent jobs for new immigrants and steady, ok paying jobs of last resort for battlers, particularly when you compare meatworking to farm or produce work which is just a loving rabble.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Do it. DO IT!

Tony Abbott and conservative MPs campaign to take back control of Liberal party

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/08/tony-abbott-and-conservative-mps-campaign-to-take-back-control-of-liberal-party

quote:

Tony Abbott and like-minded conservatives are in the midst of a concerted push to claim back the heart and soul of the Liberal party and potentially reinstall him as leader should the party find itself in opposition after next year’s federal election.

The tight-knit group, which includes Abbott, the MP for Hughes, Craig Kelly, the MP for Canning in Perth, Andrew Hastie, and the New South Wales senator Jim Molan have embarked on a series of events at rightwing branches exhorting conservatives to take back control of the Liberal agenda.

On Thursday night Abbott will hold a gala fundraiser for his campaign to retain the seat of Warringah, where he is almost certain to face a significant challenge from an independent in next year’s federal election.
The event, at Doltone House, is being billed as “Mobilising good Australians to help the Liberal party win the next federal election”.
Exactly who the “good” Australians might be was left undefined but his speech on Thursday nightwill occur roughly the same time as Abbott’s nemesis, the former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, appears on the ABC’s Q&A program.

The group has already held at least two other events in the past six weeks. The controversial speaking campaign comes as the last few contentious preselections for state and federal Liberal seats in NSW take place.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

:thunk:

Ah, now I get it.

Just because I don't like something, everyone else has to. Good job Herr Diktator
No I like it, meat is tasty

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

the only good sin tax is a tax on wealth

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I kind of feel like, morally, ethically, environmentally and practically, people who eat meat (myself included) should be forced to pay the true cost of producing it. Sorry, poor people (myself included)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

im alan jones posted:

the only good sin tax is a licence to punt

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

You can't murder an animal. You slaughter it.

I edited this but yeah, chop chop and illegal import tobacco is currently dominating in the west of Melbourne. $15 a pack. Now you're talking my language.

I don't smoke, but how garbage is chop chop compared to what you'd buy off the shelf?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Last page :ssh:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

one of my least favourite things about the posters in this thread is their enthusiasm for regressive sin taxes

I don't think BBJoey was cheering for it my friend

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Halo14 posted:

Do it. DO IT!

Tony Abbott and conservative MPs campaign to take back control of Liberal party

Helping.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
we really need mixed member proportional voting and these fuckhead conservatives could split and have their own party

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Current polls have them set to lose (possibly hugely, but that's what they said about the US midterms) so re-installing Abbott as Opposition Leader practically guarantees two straight non-Coalition governments, and that's all I can hope for

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

I don't smoke, but how garbage is chop chop compared to what you'd buy off the shelf?

I've only ever bummed them but they're pretty harsh, man. The Hong Kong darts are fine though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

we really need mixed member proportional voting and these fuckhead conservatives could split and have their own party

How would that work compared to our current system?

Note: the average punter doesn't understand our current system

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gentleman Baller posted:

I kind of feel like, morally, ethically, environmentally and practically, people who eat meat (myself included) should be forced to pay the true cost of producing it. Sorry, poor people (myself included)
I agree

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How would that work compared to our current system?

Note: the average punter doesn't understand our current system

they could have their "we're conservative crackpots" party and still get voted in because there are enough people who would vote for them, whereas now if you're not either LIB or LAB you've got almost no chance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gentleman Baller posted:

What is the "true cost"? What if my moral and ethical framework doesn't align with your dollar value? Why is it cool to just pay an indulgence?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

JBP posted:

What is the "true cost"? What if my moral and ethical framework doesn't align with your dollar value? Why is it cool to just pay an indulgence?

I would use the IPCC modelling for determining the effects of carbon, and I would be happy to use an estimation of dollar cost based on punitive fines we currently have for willfully polluting the environment that does things like make species go extinct, lowers lifespans of humans, destroys industries etc. Not optimal or precise but it uses our current societal framework, just expands it to a product that even managed to avoid our dreaded carbon tax of all things.

I know a lot of people's ethical framework is, these days, 'gently caress it we are already hosed who cares' or something akin to science denialism, if that's what you are hinting towards then my answer is, I don't care, fall in line, maggot (ethically, at least)

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

Yeah you could make the same argument against a carbon tax though and it would be bullshit there too.

If you consider things like pollution to be an externality that you're not responsible for, the public and most often the poor end up paying the bill down the line anyway.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
:tinfoil: lobbying politicians to float ideas like this helps the megacorps who are *actually* responsible for climate change to avoid responsibility and make the plebs bicker amongst themselves and hurt poor people :tinfoil:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah you could make the same argument against a carbon tax though and it would be bullshit there too.

If you consider things like pollution to be an externality that you're not responsible for, the public and most often the poor end up paying the bill down the line anyway.

Morality and ethics are nebulous, cost of pollution is not nebulous. You can measure it.

The Before Times posted:

:tinfoil: lobbying politicians to float ideas like this helps the megacorps who are *actually* responsible for climate change to avoid responsibility and make the plebs bicker amongst themselves and hurt poor people :tinfoil:

Yep. Make the corporation pay. If that flows on to a consumer via their cost, fine. Don't introduce flat taxation on individuals.

e: companies love to minimise costs as well, so if they're getting slammed on price they're going to try and find a way to make poo poo cheaper. If that means avoiding carbon output then good. Give them some carrots for doing it too.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 8, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

e: companies love to minimise costs as well, so if they're getting slammed on price they're going to try and find a way to make poo poo cheaper. If that means avoiding carbon output then good. Give them some carrots for doing it too.

This is why we saw a huge reduction in carbon emissions when there was a price on it at the company level, and a huge rise once the price was repealed. Businesses will choose the path of least resistance cost

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

My point exactly. Consumer morality achieves absolutely nothing if industry continues to evade change. If we all went vegetarian tomorrow it wouldn't make a dent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

bell jar posted:

This is why we saw a huge reduction in carbon emissions when there was a price on it at the company level, and a huge rise once the price was repealed. Businesses will choose the path of least resistance cost

The carbon tax worked really well because there was a reasonable alternative for carbon polluting energy for a lot of industries. Swanny and his boys worked out the cost that would get passed on to consumers from industries where change wasn't really likely or possible (truckin' industry, for example) and gave a 'refund', plus a few bucks. It was good.

There's no alternative for the greenhouse gasses cows produce, there's no reasonable capture method out for agriculture in particular right now either. The reductions in cost aren't really possible, so long as they are still selling meat.

A good analogue to it, I think is tobacco. The tobacco tax is a tax levied against the tobacco producers, not the individual. But when the government raises the tax, we all know who pays it. One could argue it works out a bit different, because tobacco is incredibly addictive, but I've given up cigarettes and still can't give up meat so idk

Edit: to clarify I agree the tax should be levied against the companies, like with tobacco, it's just we need to accept the cost will almost entirely be passed on, like tobacco. I'm not sure what sin taxes everyone thinks are supposed to be applied to the individual.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 8, 2018