Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Gentleman Baller posted:

There's no alternative for the greenhouse gasses cows produce,

Yeah but there is an alternative to cows.

Disclaimer - not a vegetarian or vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Cattle farmers could probably just farm something else if there's enough profit in it. I don't know anything about farming though because I'm an urban dickhead. I have no skin in the game w/r/t pricing of meat, but I'm just saying generally, if you want to change the way people consume, its best to change the way that people produce

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey a bloke I went to school with is in ABCs article on ScoMo's trip to Rockhampton saying how he'd be totally down with ScoMo if he could drink like Hawkie.

Good to see the guy is as bogan as he was in Highschool.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imo what progressive politics needs more of is telling poor people they are bad and personally responsible for systemic problems

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah but there is an alternative to cows.

But that wouldn't be any different from a direct tax on consumers. If people are willing to pay the ridiculous prices they will, if the producer is willing to eat into their profits they will. That's all I meant.

It's a dumb derail though, my bad. I did mean for the tax to be levied on the producers just the same as every targetted tax I've ever heard of.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

The carbon tax worked really well because there was a reasonable alternative for carbon polluting energy for a lot of industries. Swanny and his boys worked out the cost that would get passed on to consumers from industries where change wasn't really likely or possible (truckin' industry, for example) and gave a 'refund', plus a few bucks. It was good.

It wasn't just the price, there's the stick of verifiable reporting of carbon emissions as part of the RET, something the last few governments have been tampering with quite a bit. Whenever you see a government telling themselves they've safeguarded jobs, that's code for "let industry off the hook".

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/studio10au/status/1059965840349483014?s=21

No punching on or even a handshake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

imo what progressive politics needs more of is telling poor people they are bad and personally responsible for systemic problems

As an inner-city elite leftist I agree.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The only good tax is a 100% wealth and income tax on all who earn money or own assets

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does that woman get paid to do this? What in the everloving gently caress. Just engage, save some face by saying "we said we couldn't make it, any confusion is obviously regrettable and I'll get in touch with your office to clear it up. Thanks Joe, you're doing a good job hopefully we can come on another time when the schedule is clear."

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

JBP posted:

Does that woman get paid to do this? What in the everloving gently caress. Just engage, save some face by saying "we said we couldn't make it, any confusion is obviously regrettable and I'll get in touch with your office to clear it up. Thanks Joe, you're doing a good job hopefully we can come on another time when the schedule is clear."

its commitment to the message at least...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Gentleman Baller posted:

There's no alternative for the greenhouse gasses cows produce, there's no reasonable capture method out for agriculture in particular right now either. The reductions in cost aren't really possible, so long as they are still selling meat.

You say that, but someone was breeding low emission cows and a New Zealand researcher was breeding low emission sheep.

The kiwi lady was saying something like a third of their emissions are diet related, a third caused by gut bacteria and the final third by genetics.

So, it's not impossible to have low-emission cows.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...y-a8378631.html

quote:

Researchers at the University of Oxford found that cutting meat and dairy products from your diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint from food by up to 73 per cent.

Meanwhile, if everyone stopped eating these foods, they found that global farmland use could be reduced by 75 per cent, an area equivalent to the size of the US, China, Australia and the EU combined.

So unless you are willing to commit to vegetarianism please allow others to scoff at any commitment you express towards reducing global emissions. This is the single biggest thing you as an individual can probably do. All the other benefits (reduced area required for agriculture means less forest removal etc.) are a happy by product.

You can not eat meat and claim to be environmentally aware. The two positions are completely incompatible.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

So unless you are willing to commit to vegetarianism please allow others to scoff at any commitment you express towards reducing global emissions. This is the single biggest thing you as an individual can probably do. All the other benefits (reduced area required for agriculture means less forest removal etc.) are a happy by product.

You can not eat meat and claim to be environmentally aware. The two positions are completely incompatible.
hey a cartoon post I like

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

So make the companies change. Asking every individual on earth, most of whom can't even acclimatise to a new bed time or exercise regime, to change their individual behaviour is loving stupid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

People are voting for populist leaders that are promising to preserve their lifestyles anyway so who cares. Maybe one of our future fascist dictators will unilaterally ban meat and fix it once we take away individual choice and rights.

E: good idea for an alt future book. Hitler won and prevented climate change by enforcing vegetarianism.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 8, 2018

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cartoon posted:

agree

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Screeches at people to stop eating meat

:qq: why won’t anyone vote for me :qq:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We eat meat in pretty much every non-breakfast meal and it's not expensive so idk if they want to raise the price to help fund environmental causes and/or encourage better farming practices that's perfectly fine with me. I recognise we are substantially better off than a lot of people in Australia so are able to cope easily with that sort of price hike. If it went up high enough I guess we might limit our consumption but at the level it would probably have had to go up to there'd probably be plenty of bodies in the street from the rioting to make up the shortfall.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Cartoon posted:

JBP posted:

As an inner-city elite leftist I agree.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Luke Foley is gonna get owned.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Where is the Toyota?

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Anidav posted:

Luke Foley is gonna get owned.
yeah hes done

http://about.abc.net.au/statements/statement-8-november-2018/

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I hope that Jihad Dib guy becomes NSW ALP leader so NSW gets a Muslim premier called Jihad

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He apologised again and told me, “I’m not a philanderer, I’m not a groper, I’m just a drunk idiot”.

He said he would be resigning as the leader of the New South Wales Labor Party on either the next day (Monday, 5 November) or Wednesday (7 November).

He said he couldn’t resign on the Tuesday because it was Melbourne Cup Day and he didn’t want to be accused of burying the story.

On Tuesday (6 November) Mr Foley called me again.

He repeated his apology and told me he owed me “a lot of contrition”.

He informed me he’d received legal advice not to resign as Opposition Leader.

He indicated he intended to follow that advice.

NSW bad.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

gently caress Luke Foley. What a prick.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

So make the companies change. Asking every individual on earth, most of whom can't even acclimatise to a new bed time or exercise regime, to change their individual behaviour is loving stupid.

Perhaps companies that profit from environmentally damaging agriculture could be made to change by forcing them to pay penalties for not doing so, some sort of 'tax' on 'meat', if you will

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ashleigh Raper

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cartoon posted:

actually that's dumb as hell, something like 100 companies produce three quarters of all carbon emissions and trying to enforce individual vegetarianism instead of reining those companies in is pretty much doing capital's work for it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Imagine being politically assassinated by Eric Abetz

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

He informed me he’d received legal advice not to resign as Opposition Leader.
What the gently caress does this even mean?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also just give up red meat. Imma eat all that chicken and fish.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

A Victorian state school employee is being investigated after he brought firearms into class, baked a cake with a swastika on it and let a student dress up in his Nazi hat.

During a history lesson on World War II, the Dromana Secondary College employee also allowed students to play with a replica Zyklon B gas canister, which resembled one that would have been used to kill Jews.

He posted a photo of the freshly-baked cake, which featured a swastika made out of apple slices.

“I did a bit of artistic licence on the look but I’m really pleased it was brilliant with cream drizzled on it,” he said. “No wonder it was Hitler’s favourite cake.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/uproar-after-nazi-hats-gas-canisters-and-swastika-cake-used-in-class-20181107-p50emr.html

This person seems very normal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also just give up red meat. Imma eat all that chicken and fish.

That is basically how I formulated my 1 red meat (if any, usually at a restaurant) / 3 chicken and fish / veges the rest lifestyle and it is a good, wholesome lifestyle.

Last night I ate stuffed whole eggplant with spicy tomato and lentils, topped with feta and a fennel salad. My body is a temple and I am the temple's God.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 8, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Today class, I am going to play as Hitler in Hearts of Iron 4.

Watch carefully as I encircle Russian troops in a tank division commanded by Rommel aka *sheds single tear* The desert fox.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Today class, I am going to play as Hitler in Hearts of Iron 4.

Watch carefully as I encircle Russian troops in a tank division commanded by Rommel aka *sheds single tear* The desert fox.

Rommel never fought on the Eastern Front dumbass.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Rommel never fought on the Eastern Front dumbass.

Not with that attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

A lot of people have been politically murdered by the abetzs