Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I know at least several people who purposely don’t vote because “there’s no difference between Dems and the GOP” and “all props are designed to screw you over one way or another and you’re an idiot for trusting the government at all”. They then send me a link of that one George Carlin bit and go on their way.

the entire political system is to make it so everything is completely incomprehensible and that the propositions that are good sound bad and the propositions that gently caress you over sound great. this is a part of voter suppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Baby Babbeh posted:

Basically anyone can submit an argument for or against, and then the Secretary of State's office picks one to represent the for side and one to represent the against, and then gives each a chance at rebuttal. There are some specific rules for which argument takes precedence over which I think. If nothing is submitted for a side then the Secretary of State is supposed to basically put out a cattle call to the public to get an argument.

At the local level, this is handled by the county board of elections rather than the Secretary of State. Counties often also have paid slots in their voter guides for people who's argument hasn't been chosen. In SF the cost for this is $200 plus $2 per word.

So, Prop 11 had no argument against because nobody in the entire state bothered to write anything, and the Secretary of State also didn't bother to ask?

Aopeth
Apr 26, 2005
In money we trust, united we spend.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

there's also the antelope valley with an activated mostly black and latino population nowadays, though knight's family is (was) an institution in the antelope valley to begin with; there's even a high school named for steve knight's father in lancaster or palmdale

fun fact one of my friends went to harvard westlake with steve knight's son and said he was about as big of a piece of poo poo as you'd imagine

everyone i've known from rocklin was rich and racist and pasty white, personally

I'm in Rocklin and pasty white... but I would like to contend I'm neither racist nor rich. So, I guess there is that. I was really dismayed with the individuals we were able to vote for city council and school board, I guess I didn't quite realize how red placer was.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

So, Prop 11 had no argument against because nobody in the entire state bothered to write anything, and the Secretary of State also didn't bother to ask?

My understanding was that it was added at the last possible moment and the main opponents (a variety of different unions representing EMTs) weren't organized enough to get pull together a response before the deadline.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kill All Humans posted:

We have the entire sum of human knowledge at our fingertips but lol if you expect people to spend even a minute to look poo poo up.

People look poo poo up all the time. Pizzagate and qanon are monumental examples of independent amateur researchers organizing to look poo poo up online together. Turns out the sum of human knowledge includes a whole mountain of bullshit

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

withak posted:

My understanding was that it was added at the last possible moment and the main opponents (a variety of different unions representing EMTs) weren't organized enough to get pull together a response before the deadline.

So they ebay sniped the ballot, is that what happened?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

So they ebay sniped the ballot, is that what happened?

IDK that's what people on the internet were saying.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol i looked up steve knight's father and he was the author for a "ban gay marriage" prop in 2000

His predecessor and the guy who had the seat when I lived there was Howard "Buck" McKeon, chair of the Armed Forces Committee and actual frothing insane war hawk who took millions from defense companies and spent every waking moment trying to slip in amendments to bills that would either increase the military budget, increase federal authority to use said military without congressional oversight, or both.

He was also elected with >60% in 2010, if you want to know how much of a swing we're talking.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

loving lol that San Francisco (the most prominent example of rent control in the entire state) is the only county in California to go Yes on 10

god people are so loving stupid. it's such a recurring pattern that people consistently reject things that would be good for their lives until those things are forced upon them, and then they fight tooth and nail to save them even though they hated them like 10 minutes ago

e: also one of the few counties to go No on 11. why can't LA have its poo poo together like SF

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Prop 10 going down is the biggest bummer of the night for California for me. The outcomes of both Prop 8 and 11 only slightly less bad.

Also super bummed that my city council race got won by the incumbent super-pro-cop rich white lady and not the rad as gently caress queer asian dude who got creamed, and also that Buffy Wicks rode all the way to victory in AD 15 on her blue wave of charter school and realtor dark money. Obama sure has a thing for endorsing rich white people who are in a race against queer black women.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Skyscraper posted:

Technically, the Secretary of State did ask, as this is required by law. They're just not required to put very much effort into asking. The legal requirement is for them to put out a press release asking for public comment, but there aren't exactly a lot of people F5ing the Secretary of State press section looking for those.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

loving lol that San Francisco (the most prominent example of rent control in the entire state) is the only county in California to go Yes on 10

god people are so loving stupid. it's such a recurring pattern that people consistently reject things that would be good for their lives until those things are forced upon them, and then they fight tooth and nail to save them even though they hated them like 10 minutes ago

e: also one of the few counties to go No on 11. why can't LA have its poo poo together like SF

Our GOTV for Prop 10 in SF was pretty hardcore. But it's really hard to fight huge amounts of real estate money statewide without a statewide infrastructure, and that just doesn't exist yet.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 8, 2018

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LA has a rent controlled annual increase cap of 3% compared to SF's 10%. but hey you allegedly have your poo poo together and we dont, so dont mind me.

e. i mean 10 failing is some abject bullshit but dont go throwing rocks around from within your glass house here

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The big rent extraction industries (the FIRE sector, oil and gas, the entire healthcare industry, and the MIC) know that their entire existence is a political construction and that they can be put out of business overnight by a legal change. So they understand that legal challenges are existential crises and will not skimp on spending else they lose their prime spots as bloodsucking parasites to the real economy. The fun part is that it turns out that being a bloodsucking parasite means you have a lot of money on hand to spend to maintain that position.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love that Proposition "Make it legal to consider that perhaps we can talk about the possibility of someday having rent control if you guys vote for it next time" lost by almost the exact same margin as most of the rent control measures in 2016. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

San Francisco county broke incredibly hard for Feinstein so it's not all rainbows and roses.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

paranoid randroid posted:

LA has a rent controlled annual increase cap of 3% compared to SF's 10%. but hey you allegedly have your poo poo together and we dont, so dont mind me.

e. i mean 10 failing is some abject bullshit but dont go throwing rocks around from within your glass house here

i live in LA dumbass

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Schadenfreude time: so I've been reflecting on ballot propositions after the election, and I suddenly remembered that there used to be constant ballot measure that would require parental consent for minors getting abortions which would get defeated every year. And I started thinking that I hadn't seen one of them in a while, and got to wondering whatever happened with them.

It turns out they're still constantly trying to pass it (2010 2012 2014 2016), but they are so unpopular now they can't even get on the ballot, lol.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

VikingofRock posted:

Schadenfreude time: so I've been reflecting on ballot propositions after the election, and I suddenly remembered that there used to be constant ballot measure that would require parental consent for minors getting abortions which would get defeated every year. And I started thinking that I hadn't seen one of them in a while, and got to wondering whatever happened with them.

It turns out they're still constantly trying to pass it (2010 2012 2014 2016), but they are so unpopular now they can't even get on the ballot, lol.

This and the insurance discount one are the two perennial ballot props of California.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sundae posted:

I love that Proposition "Make it legal to consider that perhaps we can talk about the possibility of someday having rent control if you guys vote for it next time" lost by almost the exact same margin as most of the rent control measures in 2016. :(

The party line of r/bayarea and the like is rent control makes the housing problem worse because rent controlled olds are free to be NIMBYs.

...Instead of loving off and leaving their apartments to computer touchers like they’re supposed to.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i live in LA dumbass

well then stop giving SF credit for things its objectively worse at

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

paranoid randroid posted:

well then stop giving SF credit for things its objectively worse at

well its objectively better at voting for rent control so there

and Prop C looks loving awesome, i wish we could have something like that here

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I had no idea there were no arguments against 11 on the voter guide. That's insane when you understand that 90% of people will interpret that as "nobody disagrees with this and it's obviously a good idea if there isn't anyone against it". If I walked into the polls having done no research, that's absolutely the conclusion I'd draw.

Does anyone know if a prop with no argument listed for one of the outcomes ever had that outcome chosen?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

San Francisco's government was hostile to Prop C from the jump, like they were to Prop F before it, and there was a lot of money poured into fighting it from our chamber of commerce and apartment owners associations. It was grassroots organizing, coalition building, and hundreds of volunteer hours that got it passed, not anything essential about the city or it's citizens. You want good poo poo, you gotta fight for it.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Baby Babbeh posted:

San Francisco's government was hostile to Prop C from the jump, like they were to Prop F before it, and there was a lot of money poured into fighting it from our chamber of commerce and apartment owners associations. It was grassroots organizing, coalition building, and hundreds of volunteer hours that got it passed, not anything essential about the city or it's citizens. You want good poo poo, you gotta fight for it.

Also an infusion of $8m from Salesforce, wtf. Wouldn't have done anything without a strong grassroots effort to plug the money in to - I heard they actually spent a decent chunk of it to hire many of the homeless to phone-bank.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sydin posted:

His predecessor and the guy who had the seat when I lived there was Howard "Buck" McKeon, chair of the Armed Forces Committee and actual frothing insane war hawk who took millions from defense companies and spent every waking moment trying to slip in amendments to bills that would either increase the military budget, increase federal authority to use said military without congressional oversight, or both.

He was also elected with >60% in 2010, if you want to know how much of a swing we're talking.

i guess the place was a bunch of OOH RAH military types associated with edwards AFB before poor minorities priced out of LA began to move in in critical numbers?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mitsuo posted:

Also an infusion of $8m from Salesforce, wtf. Wouldn't have done anything without a strong grassroots effort to plug the money in to - I heard they actually spent a decent chunk of it to hire many of the homeless to phone-bank.

yeah as lovely as techlords go, Marc Benioff seems kind of an OK enough guy. for about as much as a lovely extremely rich white male that deserves the guillotine still can be anyways

seriously gently caress london breed and anyone who voted for her over mark leno. shes basically the stereotypical corporate-addicted "centrist" bullshit that no one likes. It was so loving close too god drat, at least there'll be another chance to knock her out really soon. it might have still not got the 2/3rds to be 100% safe and hopefully the majority is enough, but at least would have been closer without her and lovely dems rallying against it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have a good summary of the many reasons why Feinstein is a piece of poo poo?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What's the story behind London Breed and her allies fighting Prop C, anyway? I kind of got the impression they were just pissed the organizers didn't consult with her beforehand; that is, that it came up through an independent power base. But I'm not particularly plugged into local politics, so I don't know if that's true or not.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Rent control is a idiotic policy. What you don't realize is that it actually contributes more to grandmas getting evicted than if it didn't exist. It constrains available rental stock and raises prices for everyone. It incentives more evictions. Fact.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

hostile apostle posted:

Rent control is a idiotic policy. What you don't realize is that it actually contributes more to grandmas getting evicted than if it didn't exist. It constrains available rental stock and raises prices for everyone. It incentives more evictions. Fact.

lol wut

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hostile apostle posted:

source your quotes

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have a good summary of the many reasons why Feinstein is a piece of poo poo?

https://thedollop.libsyn.com/330-feinstein-and-the-flag

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GrandpaPants posted:

Her foreign policy is to the right of loving Trump sometimes.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

source your quotes

https://web.stanford.edu/~diamondr/DMQ.pdf

Rent control, as implemented in San Francisco, incentivized owners of rent-controlled properties to evict or “buy out” tenants to convert their apartments to condos or other market rate housing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The party line of r/bayarea and the like is rent control makes the housing problem worse because rent controlled olds are free to be NIMBYs.

...Instead of loving off and leaving their apartments to computer touchers like they’re supposed to.

hostile apostle posted:

Rent control, as implemented in San Francisco, incentivized owners of rent-controlled properties to evict or “buy out” tenants to convert their apartments to condos or other market rate housing.
Blame Costa Hawkins for lovely rent control implementations.

e: and yes rent control alone is a lovely solution, but it is better than everything else we are doing, which is nothing.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
I have no interest in subsidizing some olds pied a terre in San Francisco

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Mitsuo posted:

We hired over 200 homeless people at $20 an hour to phone bank.

But the money came way late in the campaign.

Regarding the mayor's hostility to it, the thing you have to understand about London Breed is that all of her campaign money came from a billionaire named Ron Conway that's trying to become the Koch brothers of SF politics. He's a VC and very not into tech companies getting taxed for anything.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

hostile apostle posted:

That’s not an issue with rent control. That’s an issue with the loophole that the lovely owners managed to get into the law.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

There are numerous arguments criticizing the Stanford study that has gotten so much mainstream attention. I guess the main argument that convinced me is that rent control only has a small marginal impact on housing affordability for the average person not living in a rent-controlled building compared to other factors like zoning regulations, speculation in the real estate markets, and so on. However, it does have a huge positive impact on the people that it does help, so it makes sense as a stopgap measure to protect those vulnerable people while we work on properly building many more units, upzoning, restricting foreign capital flows, taxing speculators, etc. It’s also a good idea to support a policy that would reaffirm the government’s role in ensuring that everyone has access to housing. I already heard a few centrist and center left pundits point to the death of Prop 10 as yet another example of overreach by the left since a large majority of people rejected even the possibility of treating housing as a human right instead of a commodity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hostile apostle posted:

I have no interest in subsidizing some olds pied a terre in San Francisco

What's your opinion on prop 13?