Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

So we've gone from "he assaulted her" to "he absolutely DID touch her"?

Man, the goalposts on obvious lies move fast. Never mind that PJW is the chuddiest of the chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TulliusCicero posted:

I was going to say, we here in Michigan joke that Minnesota is the California of the north.

I'm sure that Minnesota has some chuddier areas though, like California does.

As far as I can tell there will be only 3 D-to-R flips in the entire house, and Minnesota had two of them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Where are all the 1st Amendment CHUDS up in arms that a government employee literally tried to rip the microphone out of the hands of the free press.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Framboise posted:

So we've gone from "he assaulted her" to "he absolutely DID touch her"?

Man, the goalposts on obvious lies move fast. Never mind that PJW is the chuddiest of the chuds.

Is he still afraid to leave his apartment in fear of being talked to by people who look different than he does?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

SourKraut posted:

Jesus Christ, Maricopa isn’t a blue county, where do people keep getting this nonsense from.

Joe lost 2 years ago and they forget that Sun City, Sun City West, Anthem, New River, and like 5 other Chud Lands exist in the county.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This Acosta nonsense is hosed.

Obama should've done this to everyone at Fox News, an actual threat to democracy, rather than than the Cheeto Fuckface doing it to a CNN reporter. In fact he should've told them what he was going to do before he did it. "I'm going to pull your head off, Sean Hannity, because I don't like your head!"

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Trump does everything Fox News feared Obama would do

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

PT6A posted:

Obama should've done this to everyone at Fox News, an actual threat to democracy, rather than than the Cheeto Fuckface doing it to a CNN reporter. In fact he should've told them what he was going to do before he did it. "I'm going to pull your head off, Sean Hannity, because I don't like your head!"

I somehow doubt the first black president threatening members of the media, even lovely illegitimate members like Sean Hannity, would have gone over well.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Bullfrog posted:

It definitely does. St. Cloud comes to mind. Also I remember there being a lot of anti-Somali racism some years back (definitely still). It's an interesting state in that rural areas go blue way more often than they do in other states though.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1060041995798958080

There is fear of MN eventually reaching a tipping point. Luckily the Twin Cities area continues to stay blue and outpopulate the rural counterparts.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PT6A posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

In September 2009, the Obama administration engaged in a verbal conflict with Fox News Channel. On September 20, 2009, President Obama appeared on all the major news programs except Fox News, a snub partially in response to remarks about the President by commentators Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and general coverage by Fox with regard to Obama's health care proposal.[8][9] Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace called White House administration officials "crybabies" in response. Following this, a senior Obama adviser told U.S. News that the White House would never get a fair shake from Fox News.[9]

In late September 2009, Obama senior advisor David Axelrod and Roger Ailes met in secret to try to smooth out tensions between the two camps without much success. Two weeks later, White House officials referred to FNC as "not a news network". Communications director Anita Dunn claimed that "Fox News often operates as either the research arm or the communications arm of the Republican Party."[101][102] President Obama followed with "If media is operating basically as a talk radio format, then that's one thing, and if it's operating as a news outlet, then that's another,"[103] and then-White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel stated that it was important "to not have the CNN's and the others in the world basically be led in following Fox."[104]

Within days it was reported that Fox had been excluded from an interview with administration official Ken Feinberg, with bureau chiefs from the White House Pool (ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN) coming to the defense of Fox.[105] One of the major bureau chiefs stated, "If any member had been excluded it would have been the same thing, it has nothing to do with Fox or the White House or the substance of the issues."[106] Shortly after this story broke the White House admitted to a low-level mistake, but said that Fox had not made a specific request to interview Feinberg. Fox White House correspondent Major Garrett responded by stating that he had not made a specific request, but that he had a "standing request from me as senior White House correspondent on Fox to interview any newsmaker at the Treasury at any given time news is being made."[107]

On November 8, 2009 the Los Angeles Times reported that an unnamed Democratic consultant was warned by the White House not to appear on Fox News again. According to the article, Anita Dunn claimed in an e-mail to have checked with colleagues who "deal with TV issues" and had been told that nobody had been instructed to avoid Fox. Patrick Caddell, a Fox News contributor and former pollster for President Jimmy Carter said he had spoken with other Democratic consultants who had received similar warnings from the White House.[108]

Bolded mine.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

CmdrRiker posted:

There is fear of MN eventually reaching a tipping point. Luckily the Twin Cities area continues to stay blue and outpopulate the rural counterparts.

I thought those fears were mostly from 2016, and that 2018 has mostly shown them to be false?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ague Proof posted:

From Wikipedia:

Bolded mine.

lol the media basically deserves whatever they get, they're such quislings.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lightning Knight posted:

lol the media basically deserves whatever they get, they're such quislings.
After all of the dumb poo poo they did in 2016 giving Trump free airtime they definitely deserve it

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bullfrog posted:

Trump does everything Fox News feared Obama would do

Except instituting full gay space communism and taking everybody's guns away :sigh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

From Wikipedia:

Bolded mine.

Yeah, I remember that very clearly. The self-righteousness from the rest of the media against Obama was loving disgusting.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

After all of the dumb poo poo they did in 2016 giving Trump free airtime they definitely deserve it

something something collage of media headlines during the lead up to Iraq.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Have we considered that Wolf Blitzer and Jake Tapper should be tied in a sack and thrown into the river?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Hey you know what's really important in an age of white supremacy? Bitching about Louis Farrakhan!" -- a serious CNN journalist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PT6A posted:

"Hey you know what's really important in an age of white supremacy? Bitching about Louis Farrakhan!" -- a serious CNN journalist.
But at least they will get to yell ‘both sides’ as we all drown

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PT6A posted:

Have we considered that Wolf Blitzer and Jake Tapper should be tied in a sack and thrown into the river?

nah

they shouldn't

they should be loaded into a cannon and shot into the sun

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Legit wanting/trying to get some more info on this from you if you don't mind-

My understanding (mostly from here: https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/1060251726467469312 and a few other places) that the idea generally is most of the remaining is early/mail-in which generally favored Sinema, and Sinema still has Pima out while McSally's coming in is relatively ... limited. Again, legit would like to get more information / your thoughts on this, if you don't mind.

I'll preface this by saying I absolutely hope I'm wrong and Sinema can pull it out, but the issue is that of the ~ 650,000 ballots to be counted, as he said, ~ 493,000 are in Maricopa. The next largest county is Pima, which contains Tucson (very heavily liberal) and its suburbs, but Pima alone isn't going to account for the bulk of the ~ 157,000 ballots. Maybe 130,000-140,000, but let's go ahead and say that all of them are, so that's a 15,700 vote difference that Sinema makes up. Ok, that's great news!

Maricopa's split is almost exactly 49%-49%, currently at 49.4% for Sinema to 48.56% for McSally. At the current rate, this would yield a difference of +4,140 votes for Sinema. Again, great news, since that'd give her the lead, and where my small amount of hope in this lies.

Here's the problem: Arizona's absentee/mail-in ballots historically favor Republicans, especially in Maricopa and Pima where we have two large military bases and you see military personnel and their families using this option. It's also popular amongst suburban Republicans who hate waiting in our long poll lines we've had the last few elections that ends up causing long commutes from the far west and east parts of the valley. So those % differences in Pima and Maricopa will tighten up further, reducing the possible positive differential for Sinema. For reference, Maricopa County has a population of 4.3 million, of which Phoenix and Tempe are traditionally the two liberal cities and the rest are some level of "conservative [Scottsdale/Glendale/Peoria[ to under chud hellhole [Gilbert/Apache Junction/Queen Creek/Buckeye]". In fact, the GOP-dominated state government has been heavily pushing for absentee/mail-in ballots at the county level for many years since they've seen the positive impact it's had.

There's also the fact that the 157,000 votes in reality aren't all Pima - probably some are also Apache and Coconino, which swing heavily toward Sinema, but they aren't huge population centers, where as there are also still three McSally heavy counties that aren't at 100% and several McSally-heavy counties total. She won't really pick up much from a lot of these, but there are a few like Pinal, Yavapai, and Yuma that she could see a good return on.

So anyway, my personal hope lies in the fact that Maricopa has become competitive enough that maybe, just maybe, Sinema's positive split with McSally caries through to the absentee/mail-in ballots.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 8, 2018

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

:wow:

I don't like this USPOL Combo thread because it moves too fast to get any information in between pages of hot takes, even if nothing is happening, and if something IS happening then just forget it. At least you could keep up with the old thread.

e: Is Gilbert a chud hellhole? Huh, that surprises me. (long time Mesa resident)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 8, 2018

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Chuck Todd on Fallon now explaining that there was no wave. Add him to the sack or cannon or whatever please.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Phobic Nest posted:

Chuck Todd on Fallon now explaining that there was no wave. Add him to the sack or cannon or whatever please.

Todd or Fallon?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think the thing he did was annoy Dolt45?!

This is hard to admit but I... I can confirm that that's not an uncommon network name here and has been for quite some time. It's true! It's... well, it's lame as hell now but it's true.

CmdrRiker posted:

We were ~50k votes from going red in '16 god drat it! That margin is smaller than the Somali immigrant population.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Bullfrog posted:

I thought those fears were mostly from 2016, and that 2018 has mostly shown them to be false?

2018 has certainly been a great Democratic success this year for MN. That doesn't change the fact that rural and urban parts are more divided than ever which can possibly be more interesting to the GOP.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Furnaceface posted:

Todd or Fallon?

How is it they're all concerned about appearances until lets them humanize Nazis?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SourKraut posted:

AZ Vote stuff

Hey, thanks for all this!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

This is hard to admit but I... I can confirm that that's not an uncommon network name here and has been for quite some time. It's true! It's... well, it's lame as hell now but it's true.

mine has been called "nsa surveillance van #2439" since the snowden revelations

it freaks out idiots, i love it

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Furnaceface posted:

Todd or Fallon?

At this point both. They're both seriously saying Trump knows what he's doing, and Todd's trying to both sides/why can't we all get along on the day one of his coworkers got ousted from pressers over a presidential tantrum. It's pathetic all around.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Phobic Nest posted:

I wonder what kind of ticking clock there is on Fallon when Seth Meyers does decent political commentary, basically nightly, and gets so much more viewership from young people on youtube.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phobic Nest posted:

Add him to the sack or cannon or whatever please.

add? he lives there

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Someone sees the writing on the wall.

Put yourself in the mind of someone who thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. He thinks he's luring the Democrats into a brilliant, devious trap using reverse psychology. Or something like that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mistaya posted:

e: Is Gilbert a chud hellhole? Huh, that surprises me. (long time Mesa resident)

It is, moreso the southern extent that gets toward Queen Creek than the northern half. One of my favorite "Gilbert is poo poo" stories is how there was an ideal section of land near the 202 at Higley that the Higley and gilbert school districts wanted to build a new campus on. The land had been zoned for commercial use, but there'd never really been any interest from commercial developers to develop it. So when the school district expressed interest, the town heavily pushed back and asked them not to, saying they wanted to leave it open for commercial interests.

They then ultimately turned around, and approved a charter school operator to go ahead and build a campus on the site, without any discussion or option with the public districts about getting first choice. For those who don't know, Gilbert has a population of approximately 240,000 against the likes of Phoenix's 1.6 million, Mesa's 460,000, etc., and yet Gilbert has by far the largest number of charter schools within its boundaries. They've also gutted the public schools at the same time. It's a shithole.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mistaya posted:

I don't like this USPOL Combo thread because it moves too fast to get any information in between pages of hot takes, even if nothing is happening, and if something IS happening then just forget it. At least you could keep up with the old thread.

Yeah not a fan of combining two of the faster moving threads into one abomination.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Munkeymon posted:

I hope they learn something about wifi networks and good security practices from that tweet. And I hope the FBI isn't actually as dumb as these neophytes assume them to be.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah not a fan of combining two of the faster moving threads into one abomination.

USPOL had zero posts on the day of one of the terrorist attacks a few weeks back.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mistaya posted:

That's because people have been TV-IV-ing the midterms. It will slow down.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Color me shocked that the day after the midterms, there are many posts in a thread about US Politics.

Also probably 20 pages of this thread are people posting about posting, so maybe if you stopped posting about posting, the thread wouldn't be moving so fast lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Lightning Knight posted:

Color me shocked that the day after the midterms, there are many posts in a thread about US Politics.

Also probably 20 pages of this thread are people posting about posting, so maybe if you stopped posting about posting, the thread wouldn't be moving so fast lmao.

Just want to thank you for combining all the threads, having multiple threads for USPOL + Trump was tedious.