Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

That would infuriate me. My son missed the IBJJF tournament because someone came in with a skin infection and gave it to him.

It cost me 200 bucks. :mad:

Not that it does you any good now, but if you email IBJJF ahead of time and let them know you can't compete for whatever reason, even if you make it up and it sounds good, they'll typically issue you a credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Most common smell I've noticed are vegetables, weed and rear end musk.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Not that it does you any good now, but if you email IBJJF ahead of time and let them know you can't compete for whatever reason, even if you make it up and it sounds good, they'll typically issue you a credit.

I tried talking to them, but it was a week before the tournament and they said nope.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hit an ankle pick during sparring and I feel real cool about that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

I've never watched Ryan Hall's instructional so I can't discuss his method but I can tell you mine.

Your legs won't be squeezing. Your spine will be perpendicular to his spine so you will press with the choking leg and pull in with the other leg so that your legs are scissoring closed.

Positionally you should be looking in his ear hole with the crook of your knee just around/barely above that ear level. His trapped arm should be across and the front of his trapped arm shoulder should be covered by your leg so that your triangle is locked at the shoulder not behind the shoulder so you don't have to choke his entire upper torso. Use your arm to underhook his leg so he can't pick you up and your angle stays perpendicular. If you can't underhook his leg, underhook his free arm and pull it in. Now turn your hips just slightly so your butt points at your opponent very slightly and the front of your hips start to face in the same direction as your opponent.

You can now drive into the press with your choking leg and pull in the other leg by bringing your knee to you. Not sure if this is correct but you can also pull your heel down of the nonchoking leg while you pull the knee in to aid it and tighten it up as well. If you need to you can also pull in the head with your one free arm.

That's how I execute my triangles.

I'll try angling my butt slightly forward, that's just the sort of tip I was looking for, thanks .

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

I tried talking to them, but it was a week before the tournament and they said nope.

That sucks. I got a credit in a similar situation.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Most common smell I've noticed are vegetables, weed and rear end musk.

This is going to be really weird but I think a lot about smells in BJJ. I'm a sensory scientist and I was actually thinking about doing a write up about gross BJJ smells. One of the most common I've smelled is nonanal is which is like a greasy smell from decomposition of natural skin oils and one of the first things I notice in a gi. It doesn't help that I'm hyper sensitive to that aroma. As a gi gets worse I start noticing butyric and isovaleric acid which is the smell of vomit and stinky feet or Limburger cheese. If a guy smells like that then I won't roll with him. Sometimes I really wish I wasn't aware of this stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Jerome Louis posted:

This is going to be really weird but I think a lot about smells in BJJ. I'm a sensory scientist and I was actually thinking about doing a write up about gross BJJ smells. One of the most common I've smelled is nonanal is which is like a greasy smell from decomposition of natural skin oils and one of the first things I notice in a gi. It doesn't help that I'm hyper sensitive to that aroma. As a gi gets worse I start noticing butyric and isovaleric acid which is the smell of vomit and stinky feet or Limburger cheese. If a guy smells like that then I won't roll with him. Sometimes I really wish I wasn't aware of this stuff.

What's the thing that makes some clothes smell like ammonia?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Odddzy posted:

Washed with bleach?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Odddzy posted:

I need to do a literature search to be 100% sure but ammonia is a byproduct of amino acid breakdown so I attribute it to the degradation of those in the gi. It could also be urea excreted from sweat. Another related thing is that piss smell. Some people who sweat just smell like ammonia but I think that piss smell has something to do with microbe activity so I avoid those who smell like piss

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jerome Louis posted:

so I avoid those who smell like piss

a good policy in general, really

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Washed with bleach?

I've found Vinegar and Oxyclean form a nice little reaction in the presence of water that literally will take the funkiest smelling gi and make it smell like new.

edit: Bonus the Oxyclean getting any blood out! :gibs:

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 9, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wash my gis with a dash of eucalyptus and / or tea tree oil to ensure no funkiness and once they're dry it doesn't even linger

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Odddzy posted:

Supposedly a low-carb/keto diet can make your sweat smell like ammonia. I've noticed it on myself when I'm trying to cut weight and on others who claim to be on a keto diet.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Due to a string of knee and hamstring injuries, I am trying BJJ for the first time next week :stoked:

Any tips or things in general to look out for a first timer? It's a no gi; do I wear a short sleeve or a long sleeve wicking shirt?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Either are fine, it's personal preference.

I'm curious why a knee injury would drive you to BJJ, though. 75% of my game is just twisting people's knees until they let me get on top.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The knee injuries are mostly meniscus tears from either unfortunate plants/cuts while running or compensating while healing from those (and being overweight). I won't know until I try, but I suspect that I will fare better if I am not running.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If I let a rashguard sit without washing it, 100% it will smell like ammonia, and it's hard to get that smell out. I don't have any special (or even careful) diet.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’ve found Borax is pretty effective for getting stubborn funky smells out of gis and rashguards.

e: heated drying is helpful too

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 8, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Overnight soak in a cold water with a decently high concentration of white vinegar works pretty good as well.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The defense soap guys make a detergent that helps combat moldy gi smell, recommended

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

I wash my gis with a dash of eucalyptus and / or tea tree oil to ensure no funkiness and once they're dry it doesn't even linger

gaaaay

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I dunk my gi in concentrated mint oil in order to submit the entire room from merely walking in. :colbert:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

A buddy of mine swears by leaving it out in the hot sun and letting it dry before washing. Is this bullshit or is there any merit to this?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Sunlight helps kill stains and viruses, it’s the only thing that will get out turmeric stains, although not sure why you would have turmeric on your gi

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hah, no man they're excellent anti bacterial agents, that's why that defence soap has got them in it too

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Point of clarification putting a gi in the sun is fine to dry it out but is not a substitute for washing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My solution to the ammonia smell was to have a wetter clothes:water ratio in the laundry, and to be less of a cheapass with the detergent. This was something that was quite annoying when i was still on coin-op laundry. It's not perfect. Once in a while if the smell lingers past a wash, I'll dump like 1/4 box of baking soda into the wash with poo poo and that seems to get it.

loving hassle, though. Makes me have to do like 25% more loads of laundry.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Any tips or things in general to look out for a first timer? It's a no gi; do I wear a short sleeve or a long sleeve wicking shirt?

Shower before class, cut your nails, get there a bit early to ask about pre and post class procedures, breathe, don't be afraid to ask questions regarding techniques, have fun.

I prefer short sleeve for no gi.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sunlight helps kill stains and viruses, it’s the only thing that will get out turmeric stains, although not sure why you would have turmeric on your gi

Man if you don’t have a curry going by the side of the mats that you eat spoons full of between rolls I don’t know what you’re doing with your life.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Miracle posted:

Man if you don’t have a curry going by the side of the mats that you eat spoons full of between rolls I don’t know what you’re doing with your life.

This man wins grappling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dr. Miracle posted:

A guy I train with snacks between rolls.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can imagine Tonon eating a gas station dagwood or a 4-foot party sub between rounds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I used to eat a bacon egg and cheese with salt pepper and ketchup, BEC with SPK in local parlance, with a large coffee every morning right before rolling. Never bothered me but a lot of people were surprised I could do it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a mcdonalds 100 metres from my gym :discourse:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've been rolling while in ketosis and found my energy levels to be great.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

We still have a guy that tries to bring food on the mats (last time it was potato chips).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Had a white belt last night basically ask me to take it easy on him because his leg got messed up in a motorcycle accident, showed me the surgery scars, etc., then try to murder me during rolling.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Had a white belt last night basically ask me to take it easy on him because his leg got messed up in a motorcycle accident, showed me the surgery scars, etc., then try to murder me during rolling.

And then you start working your submission, haven't even locked it up yet, he goes into "oh poo poo mode" and he taps early?

Typical behavior....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

JaySB posted:

I've heard way too many stories of people asking others to go light and then try to murder their partner.

Did you tell him to calm down or just roll with it?