Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glambags posted:

Dan Donovan loses on Staten Island? Huge if true

yeah Max Rose was the Succ Dem dream for that district and I've posted this in two other threads now but I am very good friends with the guy who ran his primary campaign and it was excruciating watching him waffle and pander to the prevalent demographics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Glambags posted:

I really really really hope Tenney and Faso lose

Looks like both are going down :getout:

Also seems the dems won the state senate? Good stuff

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
McMurray(who ran on a platform of Medicare for All, Punish pharma for the opioid crisis, legalize marijuana and let people out of prison for marijuana crimes) is doing like... really well in the Hand-Picked to be conservative district he's running in. Like 55 to 42.

Collins IS being charged with Insider trading though

HA HA NOPE HE LOST

Jesus CHRIST

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Nov 7, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1060025617217929216

:bisonyes:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Early voting/day-of registration should be day 1 stuff.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/thecitywanderer/status/1060027068518449157

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zakharov posted:

Early voting/day-of registration should be day 1 stuff.

Get a couple of legislators on fact-finding missions to states that do it right. I'm looking at you, Washington and Oregon. Automatic registration, automatic vote by mail with informative booklet on all candidates and ballot initiatives.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
buffalo news just called ny-27 for collins. predictable but disappointing. mcmurray kept it closer than i expected, but that hurts

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so help me God if my dad brags about the Max Rose/Wesleyan connection at Thanksgiving with my sister around, it will take all of my strength to not scream or make a smartass remark. his triangulation politics are just icing on the cake. i'm much higher on Gounardes, though, he seems to know where the wind is blowing politically

looks like a mostly good night for here, all things considered. the fun will start when the State Senate comes together, we'll see what manages to come out of there. but it'll be better than before

my two favorite races are in SD-24 (most of Staten Island) and SD-52 (Binghamton area), where a blank ballot is taking a sizable amount of votes from the incumbents there

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
For all the disappointment elsewhere (seriously, NY-27? You know he's going to jail, right?) looks like we got Faso out in NY-19! :toot:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LegionAreI posted:

For all the disappointment elsewhere (seriously, NY-27? You know he's going to jail, right?) looks like we got Faso out in NY-19! :toot:

hell yeah gently caress that guy and also delgado is on the owns side of Dems

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Delgado is my home district so I’m loving stoked.

gently caress you Faso.

I miss Hinchey. :smith:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s nice to have a full dem controlled state and I can’t wait to see how the party manages to somehow lose it in 2-4 years

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s nice to have a full dem controlled state and I can’t wait to see how the party manages to somehow lose it in 2-4 years

Cuomo's first step is going to try to get an IDC up and running. It'll fail, but he's needlessly afraid of a legislature that's too unified.

After that, keep in mind that New York state governance is veeeeery Governor-dominated: the Governor sends a budget to the legislature, and their ability to change things is limited; and then he can just push things through anyway if they don't make decisions quickly enough.

Honestly progressives` best chance is if he gets indicted on Federal charges and has to resign.

I do hope Senate Dems don't let Felder caucus with them even if he asks, the fucker.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cuomo's first step is going to try to get an IDC up and running.
Honestly asking: how/where did you get this idea? Cuomo is a turd but this seems way too dumb a move for him.

Obviously the IDC made sense for him. In a divide and conquer sense. In an "I AM the party" sense (there's a reason he had no more-established primary challenger than Cynthia Nixon). And in a "NY progressives can't push me out over my skis on stuff that I think will look bad when I run for president" sense. Also, critically, most people weren't paying any attention and he could sort of get away with denying a role. But if a new one was up and running now, well that would be a serious dead albatross necklace.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah the dems seem to have a pretty comfortable majority in the senate now, but obviously Governor Amazon Cuomo is a manipulative shitsack so he may try to drive a wedge between dem factions for his own purposes

For now I will temper my expectations but 39 seats in the state senate seems good and the dems should have breathing room to pass good stuff

Then again, Cuomo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pangstrom posted:

Honestly asking: how/where did you get this idea? Cuomo is a turd but this seems way too dumb a move for him.

Obviously the IDC made sense for him. In a divide and conquer sense. In an "I AM the party" sense (there's a reason he had no more-established primary challenger than Cynthia Nixon). And in a "NY progressives can't push me out over my skis on stuff that I think will look bad when I run for president" sense. Also, critically, most people weren't paying any attention and he could sort of get away with denying a role. But if a new one was up and running now, well that would be a serious dead albatross necklace.

I just feel like he's a control freak, and a fully united Dem legislature that might potentially be a counterweight to him really scares him.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh I'm sure it does. But I also think, as a spineless power monster, his first-principle instinct is to insist this was all according to his plan.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cuomo will say and do whatever he believes will have the best chance to get him re-elected. He has zero other priorities

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Howd the propositions go

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Howd the propositions go

all of ‘em passed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i voted against #2 cause someone here said to but i assume its not the end of the world.

#3, term limits on community boards, is huge for getting more accurate representation for neighborhoods but i hope it doesnt backfire and we see it accelerate gentrification or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Legalize it, NYS.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BdB probably wont abuse the powers bestowed by #2, but a slimier mayor like el Bloombito or Giuliani would have

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's going to be a divide between NYC senators and the new class from Long Island and the Hudson Valley on some pieces of legislation for sure. the biggest battles will be NYHA and rent laws (which also includes repealing the Urstadt Laws). but there will also be a lot of unity on issues that cuomo wants, and at the end of the day, he wants to say he got poo poo done, so i don't see him encouraging a new breakaway caucus. i'm sure carlucci and savino are pissed off but they lost six of their allies, so they'll have to grin and bear it

as for felder, he's hungry for power and influence above party loyalty, so i would think he's going to go into the democratic fold for the same reasons as the last two IDC senators

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's going to be a divide between NYC senators and the new class from Long Island and the Hudson Valley on some pieces of legislation for sure. the biggest battles will be NYHA and rent laws (which also includes repealing the Urstadt Laws). but there will also be a lot of unity on issues that cuomo wants, and at the end of the day, he wants to say he got poo poo done, so i don't see him encouraging a new breakaway caucus. i'm sure carlucci and savino are pissed off but they lost six of their allies, so they'll have to grin and bear it

as for felder, he's hungry for power and influence above party loyalty, so i would think he's going to go into the democratic fold for the same reasons as the last two IDC senators

I will call my state senator and, aside from the voting improvements, tell him I'm against letting Felder in the Dem caucus. gently caress him.

Don't you all think it's time to change the thread title, which is months out of date? How about : "NYC/NYS Politics thread: The State Trifecta Blues"?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I will call my state senator and, aside from the voting improvements, tell him I'm against letting Felder in the Dem caucus. gently caress him.

Don't you all think it's time to change the thread title, which is months out of date? How about : "NYC/NYS Politics thread: The State Trifecta Blues"?
sheng ji-yang hasn't responded to my pm yet, what a jerk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

sheng ji-yang hasn't responded to my pm yet, what a jerk

Hey, now, I'm sure the absentee thread title ballot is in the mail.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i'm just hoping for electoral reform but i don't think it'll happen.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Joe Lhota resigned as MTA Chairman this morning.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Yay!

Let's see what that perfidious Cuomo does now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GalacticAcid posted:

he give a reason? i assume he couldnt possibly have hosed all the rats down there yet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wonder if cuomo encouraged him to resign so he could give the minimal appearance of giving a poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wow president AOC

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeLhota/status/1060922595472822272

"Tours of duty", wow, yeah, real brave war you waged on the third rail kittens. :jerkbag:

Edit: Owns

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1061074191657680896

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Nov 10, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
She's so loving good at media holy crap

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
REALLLY hoping she takes on Schumer in 2022. That way I won't have to move to the City to be her constituent. :unsmith:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Absurd Alhazred posted:

REALLLY hoping she takes on Schumer in 2022. That way I won't have to move to the City to be her constituent. :unsmith:

Please god

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

And then, in 2025/2029... MAC & CHEESE IN THE WHITE HOUSE, BABY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
amazon splits hq2, one of them will be in queens.

stay the gently caress out of queens, jeff