Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Munkeymon posted:

Yes! New plan: kidnap Beto's, uh, dog, I guess? Every two years and say he only gets the pooch back if he finds something to run for statewide.

beto strikes me as a cat guy

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

We have heard this story a thousand times; I will believe it when it comes from Mueller's spokespeople and not before.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Did he announce that with "smell ya later!" While giving everyone the finger and this played?

https://youtu.be/PFZAcOcE2No

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PJ, arguing that game winning goals in hockey technically can be anyone who scores during the game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

loving yikes at this rationale for voting for DeSantis over Gillum:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1060544264973750275

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

Any NC goons want to confirm something for me? It appears based on local news articles that Roy Cooper is moderately popular in NC despite his ongoing battles with the legislature. Would that be a fair assessment?

the distinct impression i got was that the legislature has been so brazenly anti-democratic that he's gotten more popular as a result rather than less as a result of that fighting, but I'm not from NC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hays on the left would be even more amazing had democrats actually tried to run for most positions there... but fuckin hell that's quite a jump

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I can't wait for RBG to swim across the Yangtze river and stop all you guys from panicking.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

If this is true, I wonder if it's good/bad/indifferent that the report be released right after the mid term

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

What? Yes it does.

The Republican poo poo governor was re-elected by more than half a million when Cruz won by a mere 200k

Certainly Beto had down-ballot effects in major cities voting in local elections but not statewide

Yes the governor got reelected but the rest of this post is just flat wrong

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-11-07/democrats-make-gains-in-formerly-ruby-red-texas

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I don't give a singular gently caress whether the vote was deciding or not. I truly believe it was a moral imperative that every dem vote against Kavanaugh. That being a line no one would cross is meaningful.

Edit: This thread moves fast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

'sources' keep saying this and the problem is those sources keep being Rudy Giuliani

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brony Car posted:

I can't wait for RBG to swim across the Yangtze river and stop all you guys from panicking.

yea I'm sure the old lady who's actively turning to dust in front of us daily is actually secretly a highlander

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Hays on the left would be even more amazing had democrats actually tried to run for most positions there... but fuckin hell that's quite a jump

"fastest growing" is usually a statistically ignorant way of saying "smallest" (because you only get big growth rates if you're small) so my guess is that just is another statistic relevant to beto winning the big cities in Texas (and I bet those counties are suburbs of those cities)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fishing with the fam posted:

I don't give a singular gently caress whether the vote was deciding or not. I truly believe it was a moral imperative that every dem vote against Kavanaugh. That being a line no one would cross is meaningful.

See, yeah, that's a good way to make the point (also agreed)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Brony Car posted:

There is good reason to panic. Trump's scotus is going to be loving over liberals for decades

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Brony Car posted:

She probably should not; I heard the Yangtze is pretty polluted now :ohdear:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I literally feel like I'm going to puke. My brain is struggling to complete thoughts. I'm just started a full day of teaching and it took me almost 20 minutes to fumble through 5 minutes of today's lesson content. RBG was my hero in law school. I seriously think I'm on the verge of a literal nervous breakdown right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Yeah we have a word for people like this, it's "racist"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

when you decide to be a "technically correct" nitwit, you need to actually be technically correct, and you are not correct no matter how badly you try to mangle the english language to turn every vote into a "deciding vote"

"well, the vote was 68-32, but one of the votes in the 68 was technically the deciding vote because they chose to be the deciding vote instead of making one of the other 67 be it, which is a useful and intelligable use of the phrase 'deciding vote' instead of redefining a term into meaninglessness in a vain attempt to not be wrong"

If Manchin had voted against Kavanaugh, then it would have been 49-49 and Pence would have had to cast the deciding vote.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

THat's not what "deciding vote" means and I wish you wouldn't do this sort of fact-agnostic derail.

Like, your actual point was fine without trying to re-define the meaning of the phrase "deciding vote". Instead now the discussion is going down this weird semantic derail because nothing distracts goons like a factually inaccurate statement about semantics.

Just make your argument without gilding it. You can argue Manchin's horrible in a lot of other ways without making Kavanaugh his fault too.

Like, just say "Look, Manchin voted for Kavanaugh, he's horrible." Point made, and it's factually indisputable.

Whether or not your assertion that Manchin was the deciding vote is correct, it is a weak point that causes distraction.

Fair enough. Manchins vote for Kavanagh was completely indefensible. I suppose my real issue is that vite was defended at the time very vehemently by posters like Evil Weasel because we were assured that Manchin was necessary for flipping the Senate. Over and over we were lectured that once the Senate flipped handing the gavel to Schumer would make all his betrayals of women/LGBT a justifiable sacrifice.

Except it turned out that he wasn't the deciding factor in flipping the Senate. So the net effect is that a bunch of super privileged white liberals itt threw LGBT/women under the bus for absolutely no gain what so ever.

And have clearly learned nothing from the experience.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Brony Car posted:

This is a dumb as gently caress post. People making news into more than it is can be annoying, but acting like no one has any right to fret about the health of an 85 year old who just sustained a painful, mobility limiting injury is goddamned stupid too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The distressing thing, though, is that redistricting is coming up soon--all those wonderful districts will simply get more ornate and stupid and the State Lege will be solid red once again :(

but they can't stop our county elections that way!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Sanguinia posted:

I literally feel like I'm going to puke. My brain is struggling to complete thoughts. I'm just started a full day of teaching and it took me almost 20 minutes to fumble through 5 minutes of today's lesson content. RBG was my hero in law school. I seriously think I'm on the verge of a literal nervous breakdown right now.

She broke some ribs and shrugged it off for a while before finally going to the hospital. I know old folks falling and suffering trauma tends to mean they go downhill quickly, but with how well she takes care of herself it's way too early to assume this is the beginning of the end for her.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Arizona GOP is shook about the possibility of mail-ins giving the Senate seat to Sinema

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona-senate-race-gop-sues-mail-in-ballots-martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema/

quote:

Arizona GOP sues to limit mail-in ballots in McSally-Sinema race

Republicans filed a lawsuit Wednesday night to challenge the way some Arizona counties count mail-in ballots, as election officials began to slowly tally more than 600,000 outstanding votes in the narrow U.S. Senate race. The task that could take days.

Republican Rep. Martha McSally and Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema were separated by a small fraction of the 1.7 million tabulated votes.

About 75 percent of Arizona voters cast ballots by mail, but those ballots have to go through a signature confirmation process, and only then can be opened and tabulated. If county recorders have issues verifying signatures they are allowed to ask voters to verify their identity.

The suit filed Wednesday by four county Republican parties alleges that the state's 15 county recorders don't follow a uniform standard for allowing voters to adjust problems with their mail-in ballots, and that two counties improperly allow those fixes after Election Day.

The GOP complained about the issue before Election Day and threatened to sue. Democrats alleged it was attempted voter suppression and that recorders have followed the same procedures for years with no issues. Republicans said it was about following the law and having a timely ballot count.

The sluggish count is a perennial issue for Arizona, but has rarely received such a high level of attention because the GOP-leaning state generally has had few nationally-watched nail-biting contests.

The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema. It says the two counties allow voters to help clear up signature problems up to five days after the election.

Democrats believe the uncounted urban ballots dropped off shortly before Election Day favors Sinema.

The lawsuit is scheduled to be heard Friday, after the next release late Thursday of tallied ballots.

Hoping that the bolded part means that the lawsuit will be too late to change anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you probably would’ve had a blue tsunami had mueller done the right thing and leaked before the elections but republicans gonna republican.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

"fastest growing" is usually a statistically ignorant way of saying "smallest" (because you only get big growth rates if you're small) so my guess is that just is another statistic relevant to beto winning the big cities in Texas (and I bet those counties are suburbs of those cities)

Well, Hays in particular I think swung widely due to the sudden rise in youth turnout (there's a fairly big university there, for example)

But regardless of the reasons for it, I'm perfectly happy with the suburb counties going more blue because I currently live in one.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

you probably would’ve had a blue tsunami had mueller done the right thing and leaked before the elections but republicans gonna republican.

"leak"

"done the right thing"

:frogout:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thankfully RBG is famously dedicated to her health and wellbeing. She’s not an average 85 year old lady, she’s closer to one of those 80 year old skiers who regularly go down black diamond trails.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

eke out posted:

'sources' keep saying this and the problem is those sources keep being Rudy Giuliani

Yup, the Trump admin game plan specifically for after the midterms seems to be division and disinformation. At this point is just disregarding any "Breaking" news unless its factual and not just "sources say".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

Muller's team not leaking is one of the few things that might make charges stick

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toaster Beef posted:

She broke some ribs and shrugged it off for a while before finally going to the hospital. I know old folks falling and suffering trauma tends to mean they go downhill quickly, but with how well she takes care of herself it's way too early to assume this is the beginning of the end for her.

as worried as i am i'd frankly be substantially more worried if it was breyer

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Groovelord Neato posted:

Assuming the final report is damning

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

"leak"

"done the right thing"

:frogout:

lol yea nothing is more evil than

*checks notes*

leaking government documents a little early

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Arist posted:

Yea. Basically, no white person gives a flying gently caress if they're called a cracker- unless they can use it as a dumb 'reverse racism' argument.

But what they do hate is being called racist. That really gets under their skin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thankfully RBG is famously dedicated to her health and wellbeing. She’s not an average 85 year old lady, she’s closer to one of those 80 year old skiers who regularly go down black diamond trails.

those guys literally constantly die

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

sexpig by night posted:

lol yea nothing is more evil than

*checks notes*

leaking government documents a little early

Do you want Mueller to leak to affect an election against DoJ policy, or do you want him to produce a report people take seriously that makes charges stick? Use your noodle and play the long game.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh cool, another mass shooting

Normal rear end country

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Fart Amplifier posted:

There is good reason to panic. Trump's scotus is going to be loving over liberals for decades

VH4Ever posted:

This is a dumb as gently caress post. People making news into more than it is can be annoying, but acting like no one has any right to fret about the health of an 85 year old who just sustained a painful, mobility limiting injury is goddamned stupid too.

This loving over in terms of the Court has one on for for years and I've been spending too many times worrying about the older Democratic appointees since W was first elected. I don't have enough emotional energy anymore to lose my poo poo when it looks like the Sword of Damocles is finally going to fall.

RBG has been a health risk for years, but sadly that apparently wasn't enough to inspire enough voters in enough of the right states to vote Dem in 2010, 2014 or 2016. It's sad but this is a reality you have to accept and you instead need to work on what you can work on.

I don't want to trivialize anybody's grief, but let me have my dark humor.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Do you want Mueller to leak to affect an election against DoJ policy, or do you want him to produce a report people take seriously that makes charges stick? Use your noodle and play the long game.

I mean... the former, gently caress decorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

If Manchin had voted against Kavanaugh, then it would have been 49-49 and Pence would have had to cast the deciding vote.

Fair enough. Manchins vote for Kavanagh was completely indefensible. I suppose my real issue is that vite was defended at the time very vehemently by posters like Evil Weasel because we were assured that Manchin was necessary for flipping the Senate. Over and over we were lectured that once the Senate flipped handing the gavel to Schumer would make all his betrayals of women/LGBT a justifiable sacrifice.

manchin was necessary for flipping the senate. it didn't flip, that sucks, but he was absolutely necessary to have a chance of it. that is also just a basic mathematical exercise, much like "what is a deciding vote".

as to "well, we didn't win the senate, therefore the sacrifice was not worth it": due to the number of red state dems that lost, winning it in 2020 is going to be hard and manchin keeping his seat is one more seat they're starting with making it a little more possible to do it. his seat is now safe for six years.

you can argue that voting for kavanaugh was morally unjustifiable on an "the ends do not justify the means" style argument and i have sympathy for that argument. arguing that the ends are pointless and stupid because the democrats didn't win the senate so an extra senate seat is of no value is just factually wrong and makes us all a little dumber having to read it.