Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the report is damning, most of the methods we have to punish the bad actors are political not legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

The distressing thing, though, is that redistricting is coming up soon--all those wonderful districts will simply get more ornate and stupid and the State Lege will be solid red once again :(

but they can't stop our county elections that way!

Beto lost by 2.6% and based on current trends Texas will be bluer in 2020, there's only so much gerrymandering can do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

you probably would’ve had a blue tsunami had mueller done the right thing and leaked before the elections but republicans gonna republican.

Leaked what exactly? That there's no evidence that Trump colluded with Putin to somehow win the election with a few lovely memes that nobody saw?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blitz7x posted:

Assuming the final report is damning

With faint praise

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Retro42 posted:

Yup, the Trump admin game plan specifically for after the midterms seems to be wildly flailing about in any direction till something sticks. At this point is just disregarding any "Breaking" news unless its factual and not just "sources say".

Ftfy

There is no plan. Trump is clearly unhinged and lashing out even more like a moron now, and no one can stop him. Then they have to do these absolutely pathetic attempts at damage control and deflection.

This is pure chaos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jarmak posted:

only so much gerrymandering can do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

Do you want Mueller to leak to affect an election against DoJ policy, or do you want him to produce a report people take seriously that makes charges stick? Use your noodle and play the long game.

I...I want the former yes. Why would you even ask that? I don't give a gently caress if Trump gets some procedural wrist slap...

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

spacetoaster posted:

Leaked what exactly? That there's no evidence that Trump colluded with Putin to somehow win the election with a few lovely memes that nobody saw?

no no you see

blow your load on leaks

that'll help people take your investigation seriously

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

The real colluder was...

BERNIE SANDERS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

the obstruction case is a slam dunk.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

the obstruction case is a slam dunk.

Not for POTUS. Good loving luck. There is ZERO evidence we've seen on obstruction so far. Or collusion at least with POTUS. You can't be vicariously guilty of a crime.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

corn in the bible posted:

Hays on the left would be even more amazing had democrats actually tried to run for most positions there... but fuckin hell that's quite a jump

Williamson County makes me hopeful. It has been a hellhole for a long while.

If you are ever in the Austin area, avoid Williamson County. A few feet can be the difference between a weed brownie resulting the a Travis County Deputy or Austin cop laughing about how you were planning to have some fun later and a Williamson County Deputy hauling you to jail and attempting to use the entire weight of the brownies you made as the basis for a life sentence.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/matthewkeyslive/status/1060450913842749441?s=21

:stonk:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I can't even describe how much I hope Mueller's probe uncovers uncontrovertible proof of multiple big federal and state crimes by both the president and his cronies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

Not for POTUS. Good loving luck. There is ZERO evidence we've seen on obstruction so far. Or collusion at least with POTUS. You can't be vicariously guilty of a crime.

what. he admitted to obstruction in a television interview.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

you probably would’ve had a blue tsunami had mueller done the right thing and leaked before the elections but republicans gonna republican.

i don't really think so. i think anyone who was voting based on trump's criminality already voted, and voted D. i think leaking it ahead of time would only have razzed up trump's base to come out and defend dear leader a little bit more, and distracted from the health care/tax cuts for the rich that democrats wanted to focus on at the end.

democrats didn't campaign on trump's criminality. it's not because it doesn't matter - it does, and i think it's a part of why the suburbs revolted from the democratic party and voted D this year - it's because that message has gotten through loud and clear. talking about it more doesn't sway votes because those votes were already swayed; but there were people who were pissed off that republicans tried to steal their health care and could use some more reminding about it and that they should actually vote democratic or maybe sit this one out rather than vote republican.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kimsemus posted:

Open your eyes, Link

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

That is utterly ridiculous but doesn't Texas have several of these abominations?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I think he's trolling you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

no no you see

blow your load on leaks

that'll help people take your investigation seriously

So wait you've changed from 'charges that will stick' to 'this won't even say anything'?

Like, if Muller was this far along in a report with actual criminal activity yea he shoulda leaked it, why should we pretend to care about 'DoJ policy'? The 'charges that will stick' aren't going to matter, they're gonna be a lot of piddly crap 'your campaign people met with these guys and that was bad here's a fine' poo poo, but yea it'd probably be enough to motivate the people who think Putin is bugging their house to vote!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

See, yeah, that's a good way to make the point (also agreed)
If Sower Of Discord And Herald Of The Annoyance had voted against Kavanaugh, and lost on Tuesday, and we needed 6 seats to control the Senate, how would you feel about RBG's broken rib today?

Please note that it's an almost statistically certainty that at least one justice will leave the bench before 2022.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Make a case for obstruction that will see POTUS impeached/prosecuted. I'm all ears. So far we've reached collusion by some of his aides, but there has been no production on POTUS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

you mean, besides the meeting with an agent of the russian government who promised clinton's emails, as revealed in an email that don jr. personally posted on twitter?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Tibalt posted:

If Sower Of Discord And Herald Of The Annoyance had voted against Kavanaugh, and lost on Tuesday, and we needed 6 seats to control the Senate, how would you feel about RBG's broken rib today?

Please note that it's an almost statistically certainty that at least one justice will leave the bench before 2022.

I know who Sower of Discord is but who's Herald of the Annoyance? Either way, they sound like bosses from Destiny 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

you mean, besides the meeting with an agent of the russian government who promised clinton's emails, as revealed in an email that don jr. personally posted on twitter?

cool Don Jr getting a big fine would be funny, that's not gonna stick to Trump himself though

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kimsemus posted:

Make a case for obstruction that will see POTUS impeached/prosecuted. I'm all ears. So far we've reached collusion by some of his aides, but there has been no production on POTUS.

There's no world where Trump is convicted on impeachment for any of this unless he somehow wins reelection in 2020 but Democrats take a 2/3rds majority in the House and Senate. That doesn't mean he hasn't actually committed any crimes, merely that Senate Republicans wouldn't vote to convict.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah, that's kind of my point, that's what the situation already is

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

manchin was necessary for flipping the senate. it didn't flip, that sucks, but he was absolutely necessary to have a chance of it. that is also just a basic mathematical exercise, much like "what is a deciding vote".

as to "well, we didn't win the senate, therefore the sacrifice was not worth it": due to the number of red state dems that lost, winning it in 2020 is going to be hard and manchin keeping his seat is one more seat they're starting with making it a little more possible to do it. his seat is now safe for six years.

you can argue that voting for kavanaugh was morally unjustifiable on an "the ends do not justify the means" style argument and i have sympathy for that argument. arguing that the ends are pointless and stupid because the democrats didn't win the senate so an extra senate seat is of no value is just factually wrong and makes us all a little dumber having to read it.

I imagine its quite nice to live in such a privileged bubble that you can trivially sacrifice other people's liberties and rights for potential gains- and when it doesn't pan out you just kind of shrugg your shoulders and go "that's how the cookie crumbles". :shrug:

The ends are stupid and pointless when you don't actually get the ends.

When you make a huge sacrifice and don't get anything in return, then yeah the sacrifice was not worth it. The reason our conversation is breaking down though is because you didn't make that sacrifice, other people did. Specifically LGBT and women. As you are none of those categories this is purely an intellectual exercise to you. You aren't going to directly suffer the consequences of what cabinet does to LGBT or reproductive rights so this is just like a game to you.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I know who Sower of Discord is but who's Herald of the Annoyance? Either way, they sound like bosses from Destiny 2.
Sorry, too ornate. That's all Manchin.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lightning Knight posted:

There's no world where Trump is convicted on impeachment for any of this unless he somehow wins reelection in 2020 but Democrats take a 2/3rds majority in the House and Senate. That doesn't mean he hasn't actually committed any crimes, merely that Senate Republicans wouldn't vote to convict.

I don't disagree. My personal belief, for what it's worth, is Trump is surrounded by bad actors, but I don't think he himself colluded/obstructed. I can go into detail on this, but it's nothing people haven't already heard.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Anyone else wondering if Muller's report is coming out soon because ~someone~ ordered him to wrap it up early?

That's assuming it's actually coming out soon, obv.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That is utterly ridiculous but doesn't Texas have several of these abominations?

Sure, but that one is really funny because it actually got ruled against because it turned out the GOP deliberately packed in a bunch of hispanic voters (thus the weird spikes in San Antonio) with the hope of ousting lloyd doggett by running a hispanic Republican

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

TyroneGoldstein posted:

District 2 extends from the very gay Montrose district of downtown all the way out to bumfuck Atascocita. The district voted red.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Lock him up.

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/884794833457434624

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

I don't disagree. My personal belief, for what it's worth, is Trump is surrounded by bad actors, but I don't think he himself colluded/obstructed. I can go into detail on this, but it's nothing people haven't already heard.

I don’t think he personally colluded but he 100 percent without question obstructed. he admitted to it on television.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don’t think he personally colluded but he 100 percent without question obstructed. he admitted to it on television.

Are you referring to that comment to the russian ambassador? I completely believe in his mind it was a distraction. I don't think there was malicious intent.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I think his attempts to coerce loyalty from Department of Justice staff is demonstrable obstruction and should've led to impeachment proceedings if we lived in a normal country.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

At this point I'll settle for his companies being razed to the ground and his family name eternally disgraced. No way in hell impeachment will ever occur. Even if we did get 2/3rd's I have the utmost confidence in Schumer going all :decorum:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kimsemus posted:

...The dude fired the Director of the FBI for investigating things, then went on record in a live interview and told the world he fired the Director of the FBI for investigating things.

Then he fired several more people. Then he tried to stop Mueller several times from doing the investigation.

No obstruction case on Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Of course Trump personally colluded. He's been laundering money for the Russian oligarchs for decades. He's up to his eyeballs in Russian money. He doesn't think it's collusion because for him it was just business as usual.