Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kimsemus posted:

Maybe that'll be the difference, because currently running against Trump has not been a winning strategy.

How do you not run against Trump in 2020? Trump is ON THE BALLOT, LITERALLY AND SPECIFICALLY in 2020. You're running against him by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is it possible that Trump really got so high on his own supply that he thought Republicans would retain the House? Is that why the chuds are so angry, despite the Senate results?

They were heavily pushing the idea that Dem enthusiasm was a complete media lie and that Republicans would sweep the midterms, so probably.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is it possible that Trump really got so high on his own supply that he thought Republicans would retain the House? Is that why the chuds are so angry, despite the Senate results?

The entirety of the CHUD cult is believing things that are in direct conflict with reality.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

They're always going to be angry, whether they win or lose. It's just who they are.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

They were heavily pushing the idea that Dem enthusiasm was a complete media lie and that Republicans would sweep the midterms, so probably.

For about 35-40 minutes on Tuesday night, so were we :v:

I think I probably took a few years off my life because of Nate Silver's goddamn needle. At least now we can loving tell Republicans that they don't get to disregard polls anymore. I was so sick of hearing "DURRRRRR ARE THESE THE SAME POLLSTERS WHO TOLD US HILLARY WUZ GUNNA WIN?????"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

its extremely likely. trump is dumb and believes his own bullshit as are the chuds plus its seems like we may have only lost 2 or 1 seats. which sucks but isn't as bad as it appeared.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're always going to be angry, whether they win or lose. It's just who they are.

Yeah, the anger is primal and even the REpublicanness and the Trumpiness is just the form and channel.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I probably agree with this, because it looks like what happened in the House was more of a partisan realignment than a pure enthusiasm gap. 2010 was an enthusiasm gap, but then it was gerrymandered into being locked in - Democrats could have taken it back in 2012 but for the gerrymandering. Here, it looks like suburbs who shifted from Romney to Clinton but still hadn't rejected the Republican party (still believing that "good republicans" existed and would be a check on Trump) fully defected to the Democratic party. That, I think, will persist in 2020 because Trump isn't exactly going anywhere, and 2018 turnout was pretty close to what we can expect in 2020 rather than only Democrats but not Republicans turning out.

It will depend on Dem messaging and strategic reach-outs specifically to suburban women to keep that alignment going, IMO. Lots of that demographic doesn't like Trump, but they do have immigration "concerns."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Well he was claiming there would be a ‘Red Wave’ for months...

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think I probably took a few years off my life because of Nate Silver's goddamn needle. At least now we can loving tell Republicans that they don't get to disregard polls anymore. I was so sick of hearing "DURRRRRR ARE THESE THE SAME POLLSTERS WHO TOLD US HILLARY WUZ GUNNA WIN?????"

I had an honest to god panic attack. I'd never had one, but luckily I've read about them, so I didn't call the hospital thinking I'd had a heart attack and I was able to eventually calm down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

How do you not run against Trump in 2020? Trump is ON THE BALLOT, LITERALLY AND SPECIFICALLY in 2020. You're running against him by definition.

he means that the only promice you run on is "gently caress trump" which is sorta mixed bag. it works in gross numbers but not for individual candidates. basicaly run on actual issues(healthcare, gently caress nazis, etc) and also "gently caress trump".

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

axeil posted:

I think you can also make a good argument that firing Sessions and putting a loyalist in charge is also obstruction.

Krugman laid it out well imo. There is basically no way to prevent the contents of Mueller's investigation from coming out now that the Dems have the House. This is why it was so crucial we won it on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1060556572215201792

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1060558339078283264

I 100% believe that Trump would do something stupid in a fit of panic like this. We had a lot of reports that he was delusional all the way until the end that the GOP would retain control.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even see the point of impeaching Trump at this point.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus III posted:

I had an honest to god panic attack. I'd never had one, but luckily I've read about them, so I didn't call the hospital thinking I'd had a heart attack and I was able to eventually calm down.

:glomp:

The first one is scary. Glad you rode it out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

When his vote mattered and millions of people's healthcare was one the line, he voted the right way.

When his vote didn't matter, on Kavanugh, who would have been confirmed regardless, he voted the wrong way.

It's weird that you prefer the symbolic victories over the ones that materially affect people, while at the same time accusing those who prefer the material victories of living in a "privileged bubble."

Manchin filibustered the DREAM Act when every Democratic vote mattered because a few Republicans had crossed the aisle to support it.

I get what you're saying on ACA, but "Manchin only votes bad when it doesn't matter" is not strictly correct.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kobayashi posted:

Maybe it's shallow or petty of me, but I'm for anything that brings him pain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

It will depend on Dem messaging and strategic reach-outs specifically to suburban women to keep that alignment going, IMO. Lots of that demographic doesn't like Trump, but they do have immigration "concerns."

That demographic is precisely the demographic that the racial incitement hurts with, not helps and is why House Republicans were pissed off that was the closing message while Senate Republicans (who needed to convince red state CHUDs to come home, not suburbs) were pleased. Better republicans than Trump can (and have been for decades) dog-whistle it so that it pumps up their base without alienating people who prefer their racism deniable, but Trump's still going to be setting the message in 2020 and he won't have learned subtlety by then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Crow Jane posted:

:same: my man is going to die alone regardless, but I see no reason to speed up the rate people desert him.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Does the sovereign immunity apply after he leaves office?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crow Jane posted:

this is why i am taking such joy in eg the trump foundation takedown

the most recent summary brief on it is a pro read, i'll repost it in a bit

edit if i can find the one i'm thinking of, it might not be the actual most recent

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kobayashi posted:

It's a big win for the :decorum: crew so they can prove The System WorksTM and then go back to ignoring minority issues and murdering foreigners with robots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zophar posted:

I 100% believe that Trump would do something stupid in a fit of panic like this. We had a lot of reports that he was delusional all the way until the end that the GOP would retain control.

Jesus III posted:

sorry, friend. i legit had one yesterday because i stared into the abyss for too long on this thread plus the discord D&D chat. but i talked to a professor at my old college and it helped me a ton, plus just taking a break with pets.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

imo, if the crimes are obvious/serious enough you do it simply so vulnerable R Senators in 2020 are forced to vote on it, similar to how the GOP used the Kavanaugh hearing to force red state Dems into tough votes. If they vote Yes they piss off the CHUDs, if they vote No they piss off/motivate Dems/Indies and the handful of Republicans that still have souls which could be enough to put the Senate in play.

edit: actually poo poo, if the House impeaches is the Senate forced to have a hearing or can The Turtle just Merrick Garland it?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

I probably agree with this, because it looks like what happened in the House was more of a partisan realignment than a pure enthusiasm gap. 2010 was an enthusiasm gap, but then it was gerrymandered into being locked in - Democrats could have taken it back in 2012 but for the gerrymandering. Here, it looks like suburbs who shifted from Romney to Clinton but still hadn't rejected the Republican party (still believing that "good republicans" existed and would be a check on Trump) fully defected to the Democratic party. That, I think, will persist in 2020 because Trump isn't exactly going anywhere, and 2018 turnout was pretty close to what we can expect in 2020 rather than only Democrats but not Republicans turning out.

We might understand that Trump and the Republican party are philosophically identical, but does this exurban demographic? It would be great if this was a partisan realignment, but it could just as well be a reaction to Trump's horrible idiosyncrasies. Voting patterns are sticky and all, but these are real FYGM people. A GOP with a quieter fascist is going to get a lot of these voters back. Obviously 2020 is going to be a referendum on Trump, but after that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

A lot of the right has a vague idea of the same thing that leftists realise; that mainstream Democrat messaging is hollow and most primarily targeted at 'swing voter' and 'moderate' demographics that don't exist, and establishment Democrats are desperately trying to win with the absolute minimum possible to minimise expectations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1060564693646012416

This is a good thread to pour some cold water on beliefs that Michigan will easily swing back to Democrats in 2020.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

It's absolutely a semi-permanent realignment. Soccer moms hate Trump and chuds with a vengeance. They might have been persuaded to vote Republican if there were any untainted Republicans left, but there aren't and won't be anytime soon, so that's over.

Unless the Dems nominate Oprah, their floor in 2020 will be +2% nationwide and a very similar result to 2016 except they'll also flip 2-3 Senate seats at minimum. I think the median outcome with this economy is very close to 2018.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VitalSigns posted:

Manchin filibustered the DREAM Act when every Democratic vote mattered because a few Republicans had crossed the aisle to support it.

I get what you're saying on ACA, but "Manchin only votes bad when it doesn't matter" is not strictly correct.

You're correct on that. He's not good, I think he's just less bad, in ways that can matter sometimes. Anyway no more Manchinchat.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1060561439520419841?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

We might understand that Trump and the Republican party are philosophically identical, but does this exurban demographic? It would be great if this was a partisan realignment, but it could just as well be a reaction to Trump's horrible idiosyncrasies. Voting patterns are sticky and all, but these are real FYGM people. A GOP with a quieter fascist is going to get a lot of these voters back. Obviously 2020 is going to be a referendum on Trump, but after that?

I don't know that suburbs are lost forever to the Republican party, but two more years of Republicans and Trump being tied at the hip makes it harder. I also do not know if you can go back to dogwhistling because the racist base will have gotten used to people saying it out loud and may reject people who won't.

But yeah, I'm not at all suggesting any sort of permanent democratic majority here that will persist for decades, more saying that the 2018 results are more directly applicable to 2020 based on the turnout patterns than the average midterm.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

this is worth doing a dive into, actually.

the core of the chud phenomenon, in all its hideous expressions, is rooted in the fact nobody thought Trump was going to win, including them. they could safely imagine that all would be made well, everything would have been fixed, if only Trump was President. imagine if Obama had been trailing McCain from moment one. how utterly mind-breaking would election night have been! all the dreams, everything you have had to convince yourself is beyond all hope of ever happening- IT'S REAL NOW, AND IT WILL HAPPEN

as such, everything about the die-hard Trump fanbase is based on the realization that no, your darkest, deepest dreams CAN come true. sure, all the polls said a blue wave of some form was coming. but all the polls said Trump was going to lose. surely, the same raw elemental force of their hatred was going to save them again!

but now it appears that no, actually there is more to it than that, and they are angry because the way they needed the world to function has not happened.

expect violence to keep kicking up. because as far as they're concerned they hoped Trump into office, and now that hope is being dashed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1060564693646012416

This is a good thread to pour some cold water on beliefs that Michigan will easily swing back to Democrats in 2020.

Oh god that means Trump is going to be in my state 6,000 times again in 2020 fml. And I'm in a very chuddy area, too.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

axeil posted:

edit: actually poo poo, if the House impeaches is the Senate forced to have a hearing or can The Turtle just Merrick Garland it?
They can just "LOL nope" the whole thing.

This is why people betting their sanity on a genius Democrat 5D chess play forcing "reasonable Republicans" to indict Trump are in for bad times

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Feh, holding Trump accountable using the methods available to us? Sounds like decorum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I mean, the only thing Trump needs to do to really cement a win is to start a war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's a big win for the :decorum: crew so they can prove The System WorksTM and then go back to ignoring minority issues and murdering foreigners with robots.

galaxy brain: impeaching trump is bad because i don't like democrats

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Calling him a "white man" shooter is race washing the issue. He was a white man, yes, but he was also a veteran with PTSD, whom had sought help before, couldn't get it, and was unstable. He didn't shoot people because he was white.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

The Chief Justice presides over impeachment if the President is the one impeached, so no the Senate Majority Leader can't stop it from happening :getin:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

Calling him a "white man" shooter is race washing the issue. He was a white man, yes, but he was also a veteran with PTSD, whom had sought help before, couldn't get it, and was unstable. He didn't shoot people because he was white.

woosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this is worth doing a dive into, actually.

the core of the chud phenomenon, in all its hideous expressions, is rooted in the fact nobody thought Trump was going to win, including them. they could safely imagine that all would be made well, everything would have been fixed, if only Trump was President. imagine if Obama had been trailing McCain from moment one. how utterly mind-breaking would election night have been! all the dreams, everything you have had to convince yourself is beyond all hope of ever happening- IT'S REAL NOW, AND IT WILL HAPPEN

as such, everything about the die-hard Trump fanbase is based on the realization that no, your darkest, deepest dreams CAN come true. sure, all the polls said a blue wave of some form was coming. but all the polls said Trump was going to lose. surely, the same raw elemental force of their hatred was going to save them again!

but now it appears that no, actually there is more to it than that, and they are angry because the way they needed the world to function has not happened.

expect violence to keep kicking up. because as far as they're concerned they hoped Trump into office, and now that hope is being dashed.

very true but to be fair, we had the same fears, i mean look at the nothing matters types. granted we are weird political grognards who pull everything apart in our dark rooms but we also got affected by the fear. I think its a little better now though.