Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

It would be better if the cops didn't kill anyone actually, because cops are bad and killing people is generally bad.

Yeah gently caress that cop in the bar that died trying to get people out. It's good that he's dead, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

RBG isn't going to retire. That said, an old person being injured in a fall is really, really dangerous so she might die. But she won't retire, she'll die or they're going to wheel her hospital bed into the Supreme Court for oral arguments.

clarence thomas looks on with envy and ponders how he can get a bed for oral arguments

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Adar posted:

It's absolutely a semi-permanent realignment. Soccer moms hate Trump and chuds with a vengeance. They might have been persuaded to vote Republican if there were any untainted Republicans left, but there aren't and won't be anytime soon, so that's over.

Unless the Dems nominate Oprah, their floor in 2020 will be +2% nationwide and a very similar result to 2016 except they'll also flip 2-3 Senate seats at minimum. I think the median outcome with this economy is very close to 2018.

Anecdotal evidence but my dad + my girlfriend's dad were typical "small business + tax cut" rich Republicans and they both voted Dem in PA because all the blatant racism horrified them and they said they liked how the Dems didn't immediately rule out working on common goals with the GOP. I rolled my eyes at this but a D vote is a D vote, regardless of how they got there.

My point in telling that anecdote is that people itt mock the :decorum:, bipartisanship and Panera districts stuff but the evidence shows there are a segment of voters this works with since a whole crap load of the districts we won on Tuesday used that playbook and won. At the same time, mushy pointless centrism seems to not work and you can get very good results by running good leftist campaigns as we saw in Texas. It comes down to knowing where you're running and what your voters want. The white suburbs are where you want to focus on the :decorum: stuff, you want to focus on good populist economic messages in the rust belt/midwest where we saw those kinds of messages work, and you want to run "gently caress Trump/racism" out West in CA/NV/AZ/NM. Given the terrible performance in the Southeast, I'm not sure what we do there though although Gillum/Nelson both losing by <1% means it probably isn't a centrism/leftism split that caused the issue. And hell, had they won by <1% we'd be having a different conversation even though the numbers in both cases are pretty much the same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ensconce RBG in the Golden Throne imo

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Your Taint posted:

Yeah gently caress that cop in the bar that died trying to get people out. It's good that he's dead, right?

Depends on whether he's white or not I guess.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RandomBlue posted:

Thank god we finally have someone here to defend white men.

I know it's not the hip thing to do lately but everyone deserves an advocate

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

ACAB

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Your Taint posted:

While he my have been a wonderful person cop death is a net gain for society.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They can just "LOL nope" the whole thing.

This is why people betting their sanity on a genius Democrat 5D chess play forcing "reasonable Republicans" to indict Trump are in for bad times

I don't think that's correct. Impeachment is a process that triggers a trial, conducted by the Senate. The Senate can acquit or convict, but I don't see a good argument for allowing it to sit on the charges.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

prison paul has been having a meltdown all day about the Acosta video.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Taint posted:

Cops aren't bad because only bad people choose to be cops, cops are bad because policing as an institution is rotten and makes people bad.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Kimsemus posted:

Calling him a "white man" shooter is race washing the issue. He was a white man, yes, but he was also a veteran with PTSD, whom had sought help before, couldn't get it, and was unstable. He didn't shoot people because he was white.

I believe the point of the twitter post was that the conservative political policies championed during the recent election (border walls, discouraging immigration, encouraging more gun ownership, embracing jengoism and nationalism) would do nothing to stop incidents like this. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rent-A-Cop posted:

While he my have been a wonderful person cop death is a net gain for society.

Username post combo.

Brother is not dead but now Im playing the wonderful game of "Are they asleep or dead"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

It would be better if the cops didn't kill anyone actually, because cops are bad and killing people is generally bad.

There was heavily implied sarcasm there. Perhaps this was an awkward way to address my feelings/be snippy at the other poster for not realizing why the race issue was being brought up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Anecdotal evidence but my dad + my girlfriend's dad were typical "small business + tax cut" rich Republicans and they both voted Dem in PA because all the blatant racism horrified them and they said they liked how the Dems didn't immediately rule out working on common goals with the GOP. I rolled my eyes at this but a D vote is a D vote, regardless of how they got there.

My point in telling that anecdote is that people itt mock the :decorum:, bipartisanship and Panera districts stuff but the evidence shows there are a segment of voters this works with since a whole crap load of the districts we won on Tuesday used that playbook and won. At the same time, mushy pointless centrism seems to not work and you can get very good results by running good leftist campaigns as we saw in Texas. It comes down to knowing where you're running and what your voters want. The white suburbs are where you want to focus on the :decorum: stuff, you want to focus on good populist economic messages in the rust belt/midwest where we saw those kinds of messages work, and you want to run "gently caress Trump/racism" out West in CA/NV/AZ/NM. Given the terrible performance in the Southeast, I'm not sure what we do there though although Gillum/Nelson both losing by <1% means it probably isn't a centrism/leftism split that caused the issue. And hell, had they won by <1% we'd be having a different conversation even though the numbers in both cases are pretty much the same.

my view is that republicans hit on the basic correct strategy, and democrats are likely to copy it: everyone likes bipartisanship in the abstract, so just say you're the one being bipartisan and the other side is being partisan by refusing to agree with you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

sacrifices life/sanity for country

can't get mental help

because of this, violent delusions manifest

"b-b-but white man!"

you literally can't read

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole political environment is designed to radicalise already alienated, traumatised and isolated white men into violence. There's no either/or here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

my view is that republicans hit on the basic correct strategy, and democrats are likely to copy it: everyone likes bipartisanship in the abstract, so just say you're the one being bipartisan and the other side is being partisan by refusing to agree with you.

see: *ancy *elosi

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oxyclean posted:

There was heavily implied sarcasm there. Perhaps this was an awkward way to address my feelings/be snippy at the other poster for not realizing why the race issue was being brought up.

If I thought you were being serious I would've given you a probation. :ocelot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

I don't think that's correct. Impeachment is a process that triggers a trial, conducted by the Senate. The Senate can acquit or convict, but I don't see a good argument for allowing it to sit on the charges.

It can set the schedule it wants, and nothing technically prevents the Senate, if you impeach Trump in, say, June of 2019, from deciding that it's going to do a lot of prep work and hold the trial in December 2020. If someone contests it, that sounds like almost the very definition of a non-justicable political question. I think there's even caselaw on it, from some judge challenging the impeachment procedures used against them.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

axeil posted:

you would think "different messages in different districts" would be a nobrainer, but Twitter and politics in general breaks people's brains

gillum/nelson separated by less than 50k votes is strong evidence that in Florida (and only in Florida) you may as well run the most progressive candidate you can find because the Not Democrat vote is CHUD country and the Dems are mostly reliable Not CHUD voters

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kimsemus posted:

I know it's not the hip thing to do lately but everyone deserves an advocate

Nice racist as gently caress avatar you got there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Your Taint posted:

yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

It can set the schedule it wants, and nothing technically prevents the Senate, if you impeach Trump in, say, June of 2019, from deciding that it's going to do a lot of prep work and hold the trial in December 2020.

yeah, and even if there were some sort of grounds for the courts to step in (and you've made a pretty reasonable argument that they might not be able to) "we need a year of investigative time or whatever" is facially actually pretty reasonable for a huge sweeping case against the president even if everyone knows it's just mitch mcconnell hijinks

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

haveblue posted:

Ensconce RBG in the Golden Throne imo

courts for the court god

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

A few bad apples spoils the whole bunch

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Calling him a "white man" shooter is race washing the issue. He was a white man, yes, but he was also a veteran with PTSD, whom had sought help before, couldn't get it, and was unstable. He didn't shoot people because he was white.

It's almost banal at this point that unhappy white men take as many people down with them as they can.

So, yea, it's basically because he's a white male.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 8, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Doctor Butts posted:

It's almost banal at this point that unhappy white people take as many people down with them as they can.

He just needed more hugs, really it's everyone else's fault he killed thirteen innocent people

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in the big files of "here is a very odd data point that i would like explained to me so that we can use it in 2020"

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1060577368732037121

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Like the new thread title. :)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Maybe Bezos can fund a post-mortality latent racism detector so we can scientifically determine which murder victims are sympathetic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Adar posted:

you would think "different messages in different districts" would be a nobrainer, but Twitter and politics in general breaks people's brains

gillum/nelson separated by less than 50k votes is strong evidence that in Florida (and only in Florida) you may as well run the most progressive candidate you can find because the Not Democrat vote is CHUD country and the Dems are mostly reliable Not CHUD voters

Yeah I think in Florida with Gillum/Nelson basically getting the exact same vote share the message we should go with is "policy preference doesn't really matter in FL". I'm not sure if that's because everyone in FL is old, the GOP voters there are all CHUDs, Dems just vote Dem regardless of policy, Indies have no clue what they're doing or what. Since I like M4A and other leftist positions those are what I want to see next time in Florida, but a centrist can look at the same data and argue for centrist positions and we both will be right because policy appears not to matter in FL.

Analyzing Florida, Sherrod Brown's win in OH, and our wins in IA/KS are probably where we're going to learn the most for making a good run in 2020.

hot take: I think KS could be a swing state in 2020.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 8, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Retro42 posted:

The economy is actually an interesting factor in this discussion. Not that I want it to happen, but odds are that all of Trumps stupid tariff/tax/etc decisions will start to hurt before the 2020 elections. If so that changes the board ENTIRELY.

There very well might be a recession in 2019, but honestly it probably has very little to do with the tariff and tax decisions of the Trump administration, but just the general cyclical nature of economies.

(Not that the tariffs and taxes were a good idea.)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole political environment is designed to radicalise already alienated, traumatised and isolated white men into violence. There's no either/or here.

What? Compared to black men we have it easy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh, i just remembered: did the lady who was saying she wanted to investigate the poo poo out of Trump take NYAG?

fake edit: yes!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/nyregion/letitia-james-wins-ny-ag.html

underwood's going to hand her a pretty good set of investigations right off the bat, too

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

It can set the schedule it wants, and nothing technically prevents the Senate, if you impeach Trump in, say, June of 2019, from deciding that it's going to do a lot of prep work and hold the trial in December 2020. If someone contests it, that sounds like almost the very definition of a non-justicable political question. I think there's even caselaw on it, from some judge challenging the impeachment procedures used against them.

Yes, they can definitely move the trial date in a political way and it would probably work. What I'm fairly sure they could not do is simply sit on it forever without setting a date.

I'm also thinking that there's at least an argument that the trial has to occur within the same Congressional session that brought the charges.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Maybe Bezos can fund a post-mortality latent racism detector so we can scientifically determine which murder victims are sympathetic.

Just look at their net wealth

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Yeah I think in Florida with Gillum/Nelson basically getting the exact same vote share the message we should go with is "policy preference doesn't really matter in FL". I'm not sure if that's because everyone in FL is old, the GOP voters there are all CHUDs, Dems just vote Dem regardless of policy, Indies have no clue what they're doing or what. Since I like M4A and other leftist positions those are what I want to see next time in Florida, but a centrist can look at the same data and argue for centrist positions and we both will be right because policy appears not to matter in FL.

Analyzing Florida, Sherrod Brown's win in OH, and our wins in IA/KS are probably where we're going to learn the most for making a good run in 2020.

There is the one confounding factor that Nelson is a boring centrist who might possibly appeal to ticket-splitters, but also basically didn't bother to campaign, and so it is unclear to what degree the lack of ticket-splitters in the race reflects that they do not exist, or that Nelson didn't bother to campaign enough for them to consider it.

Also, in Nelson news:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1060577482284429312

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
We should think about violent white guys, in terms of how to de-radicalize them. Too bad the Trump admin ended a program to do exactly that, right after the mail bombings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Telsa Cola posted:

Username post combo.

Brother is not dead but now Im playing the wonderful game of "Are they asleep or dead"
Asleep or Dead is the best game you can play in a customer service job!