Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
All of that changes further in. The season is about her rule lawyering the Church of Satan.

It doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

Dang son I ain't seen that much edge since i watched the 2008 film It Might Get Loud

?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

regulargonzalez posted:

Dang son I ain't seen that much edge since i watched the 2008 film It Might Get Loud

Don't go there, bud.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Jesus, The Haunting of Hill House not only failed to stick the landing, it broke both legs and poo poo its pants as it did. The preceding 9.5 episodes were great, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brocktoon posted:

Jesus, The Haunting of Hill House not only failed to stick the landing, it broke both legs and poo poo its pants as it did. The preceding 9.5 episodes were great, though.

I like that even if you like the show you gotta admit that the last episode is insane in how bad it is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brocktoon posted:

Is it like “retroactively ruins the show” bad or just regular bad? Been thinking of watching it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
You should watch it because it’s a great show and there are plenty of people who thought the ending was great. Just know that this is mainly a family drama wrapped in a ghost story. My favorite comparison of it is Six Feet Under crossed with the Shinning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly did you guys hate about the ending so much?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like that even if you like the show you gotta admit that the last episode is insane in how bad it is.

It's a really great ending, actually. Makes the whole thing work, without the ending the rest of it makes no sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tainen posted:

You should watch it because it’s a great show and there are plenty of people who thought the ending was great. Just know that this is mainly a family drama wrapped in a ghost story. My favorite comparison of it is Six Feet Under crossed with the Shinning.

Six Feet Under already has ghosts in it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've always considered myself a big fan of science fiction and my dad made me watch stuff like The Day the Earth Stood Still from a young age. But somehow I totally missed Soylent Green, and then absorbed its premise so broadly from pop culture, I somehow got the impression it wasn't really actually worth watching

Anyway that was a really stupid sentiment, I'm honestly really impressed by the visual direction and overwhelming sense of privation and hopelessness. I guess I'd question some of the Malthusian overtones and stuff as a philosophical assertion but cinematically I don't understand it's reputation for cheesiness, it's great and every scene just oozes 70s

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

I've always considered myself a big fan of science fiction and my dad made me watch stuff like The Day the Earth Stood Still from a young age. But somehow I totally missed Soylent Green, and then absorbed its premise so broadly from pop culture, I somehow got the impression it wasn't really actually worth watching

Anyway that was a really stupid sentiment, I'm honestly really impressed by the visual direction and overwhelming sense of privation and hopelessness. I guess I'd question some of the Malthusian overtones and stuff as a philosophical assertion but cinematically I don't understand it's reputation for cheesiness, it's great and every scene just oozes 70s

The book, "Make Room, Make Room!" by Harry Harrison, is pretty interesting. There's no conspiracy, the twist isn't there, it's just about how overpopulation is making society fall apart.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it like “retroactively ruins the show” bad or just regular bad? Been thinking of watching it.

Absolutely watch it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly did you guys hate about the ending so much?

It's seemed really upbeat and chipper for the prospect of spending eternity as a spirit being devoured by a sentient house. It reminded me almost exactly of the last episode of S1 of American Horror Story. It was also a turn-off how romantically the incredibly selfish acts of the Dudleys are portrayed.

I'm also definitely not one of those people who needs everything explained in a conclusion, but I had some small issues with the internal logic of the show by the end. I was never sure how the ghosts "worked", for lack of a better term. Some ghosts were benign, some were malicious. Some could leave the house, some couldn't. And while I'm fine with the actual motivations and history of the house itself being shrouded in mystery, there were a LOT of "Wait, why did he say that/do that? How does he know that?" moments with Timothy Hutton in the last two episode that were never expanded on whatsoever.

That said, The Hauting of Hill House is still more than worth spending 10 hours on, and my disappointment in the finale in no way ruined the show as a whole.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In terms of things not worth spending 10 hours on, the new set of episodes on Making a Murderer feels like there's maybe enough new interesting content to fill up 3 maybe 4 episodes. The rest is filled with long takes of mundane phone calls filled with exchanges like:

"getting cold now"
"oh yeah?"
"yeah, it's colder"

The last episode I watched had what felt like 20 minutes of Avery's dad banging on something with a hammer in a garage and then talking shop with Avery's brother.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Just received the news that season 2 of Patriot drops on Amazon Prime tomorrow. What a nice surprise! I didn't know a release date was set already.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Negative. The finale is fine. Also, they just gave you just enough of a peek behind the curtain like the book did and the 1999 movie failed at. The show will end up one of my top 3 shows of 2018.

Turambar posted:

Just received the news that season 2 of Patriot drops on Amazon Prime tomorrow. What a nice surprise! I didn't know a release date was set already.

Excited it is back, but sad to see we are only getting 8 episodes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Negative. The finale is fine. Also, they just gave you just enough of a peek behind the curtain like the book did and the 1999 movie failed at. The show will end up one of my top 3 shows of 2018.
Haha, I had no idea The Haunting was based on the same source material.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, I had no idea The Haunting was based on the same source material.

Yes, it is an actual adaptation of the original novel while the TV show is more inspired by. What the 1999 version changed from the novel was providing a stupid as hell explanation to what caused the haunting. The novel gives no explanation at all, just hints.

Fun fact there is another adaptation of the book that is also called The Haunting. It came out in 1963 and is directed by Robert Wise (famous for Sound of Music, West Side Story, & Andromeda Strain). It is quite good and pretty close to the actual novel.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The ending to the netflix Hill House is fine in theory. In practice, it had all the emotional depth and resonance of a Hallmark original.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you are the type that wants a horror movie with some family drama, you won't like the ending of Hill House. If you are down with a family drama that has some horror elements, you might be a little more receptive to it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty much, they grew out of weirdo 60's/70's San Francisco counterculture as an excuse to party with naked women. Founded by a dorky Jewish guy named Howard Levey who changed his name to Anton LaVey. It's basically a Portlandia sketch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you are the type that wants a horror movie with some family drama, you won't like the ending of Hill House. If you are down with a family drama that has some horror elements, you might be a little more receptive to it.

After Hereditary this is all I want out of horror rn.

Having family issues owns when you watch media about it and get a cathartic reaction from that poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

nate fisher posted:

Fun fact there is another adaptation of the book that is also called The Haunting. It came out in 1963 and is directed by Robert Wise (famous for Sound of Music, West Side Story, & Andromeda Strain). It is quite good and pretty close to the actual novel.

Im dead now, thanks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CelticPredator posted:

Having family issues owns when you watch media about it and get a cathartic reaction from that poo poo.

Hill House is first and foremost about family. Sure, a lot of the family's problems stem from being haunted by ghosts and an evil house, but the family is still center.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hill House is first and foremost about family. Sure, a lot of the family's problems stem from being haunted by ghosts and an evil house, but the family is still center.

I get that, but just because it's all about family doesn't mean Dom and his crew get to show up in the last 15 minutes and steal the house

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What all is out there in terms of spy thrillers? I've watched most things based on a Le Carre story, but it's not the easiest genre to find stuff that isn't just action. Patriot s2 drops soon right?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wait poo poo patriot s2 is already up, go watch it

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

tweet my meat posted:

What all is out there in terms of spy thrillers? I've watched most things based on a Le Carre story, but it's not the easiest genre to find stuff that isn't just action. Patriot s2 drops soon right?

Also, what's some good le Carre poo poo? Tinker Tailor, the Oldman movie, was good as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Hereditary isn't really anything like hill house imo. I guess they are both about family drama but the way it's approached couldn't be more different. Feels like comparing a CW show to the Exorcist. I enjoyed them both though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Teddybear posted:

Also, what's some good le Carre poo poo? Tinker Tailor, the Oldman movie, was good as hell.

The Night Manager and A Most Wanted Man were both great though I'm not sure if either one is still up anywhere.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Patriot s2 is too silly

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not out yet, but AMC is doing another Le Carre mini-series later this month: The Little Drummer Girl with Michael Shannon and Alexander Skarsgård

e: oh poo poo, just saw it's directed by Park Chan-wook too!!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 9, 2018

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
The Night Manager is on prime and it's excellent.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So is Haunting of Hill House just jump scares? I'm three episodes in, and so far it's pretty meh.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mike12345 posted:

So is Haunting of Hill House just jump scares? I'm three episodes in, and so far it's pretty meh.

There's like one or two jump scares in the entire thing that I can think of.

It's not really a scary show per se. It's an atmospheric and moody show but it's basically (don't know where I first heard this, maybe here) a family drama where one of the family members is a haunted house. It is to horror what later seasons of Louie were to sitcoms -- the ostensible framework for something that was actually quite different in nature.

If you want a legit scary movie with no jump scares, my go-to recommendation is The Tenant although I don't know if it's streaming anywhere. But Haunting if Hill House is like 6 Feet Under if there just happened to be a ghost that mostly kept to itself living in the funeral home. That's a more similar feel, tonally, than any horror movie has to it.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Not out yet, but AMC is doing another Le Carre mini-series later this month: The Little Drummer Girl with Michael Shannon and Alexander Skarsgård

e: oh poo poo, just saw it's directed by Park Chan-wook too!!

Oh hell yes.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I forget what thread got me watching Patriot, on Amazon Prime, but I assume it was this one, because I really only read this and the horror thread. Anyway, thanks to whoever recommended it, because I've already rewatched the first season and have finally now launched into the second one.

I think the Coens did their very own thing when they started making crime/drama/comedy films in a way that nobody had ever really specialized in before; like, they had their own unique way of merging all those genres. I'm not necessarily saying Patriot is the same, but it's a similar kind of thing, and it feels as unique as the first time I saw a Coen Brothers film and was like "this is weird and unexpected but I love it."

s1 spoilers I can laugh out loud at it repeatedly and then get teary-eyed at "i'm not double-great" or un monsieur triste en costume. It's a really unusual show and I love it.

e: Sure Shot apparently being the theme for s2 means i'm just gonna watch the entire theme every time

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 10, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh awesome! Did not realize Patriot season 2 came out today. EDIT: Whoops a bit late to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I saw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs today and it was very very good. Mark your calendar for next Friday when it's on Netflix.