Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

One interesting thing I'd like to see is if policy boosts volunteering/donations and if that has an impact on turnout/results. But volunteer numbers aren't publicly available so I doubt we'll ever have an answer.

The sheer amount of Democratic candidates this year, and the massive donation hauls they raised (enough to easily outspend Republicans), should give a lot of really useful data on the impact of money that we haven't had before, and I'd be real interested in the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

evilweasel posted:

i do not believe that the results from last night support your second conclusion. I think that the correct way to phrase it is that GOP voters are more likely to vote than Democratic voters, and so boosting turnout (somehow) is more important to Democrats. that can be through progressive policy; it can be through exciting candidates; it can be through good old-fashioned turnout operations. but the results from last night did not support the idea that policy is what dictates turnout, at least any analysis I've seen of it (and if you have any, I'd be happy to read it).

Ehh.... I would say that there was also the element of the unspoken 'Not those guys' policy that wasn't there in 2016. It's a lot harder to say that the GOP candidate won't be that bad when we've seen two years of just how bad they actually are.

I wonder how many Dem candidates that said they wouldn't oppose Trump would win. I know the local one lost.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

sorry but i've solidified behind christie as by far the least bad person we can possibly hope for

all I know is that every other name is loving crazy, evil, and also absolutely poo poo no-nothing lawyers (see: Bondi, Kobach). i'll take the comically corrupt guy who holds no real opinions over that any day, it'll be a huge upgrade from Sessions

heck, he was a shockingly decent njag

also it would make kushner very sad and very angry, and what's not to love about that

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rent-A-Cop posted:

To the best of my knowledge Senate rules do not have force of law and the only penalty for violating them is censure by the Senate. This is outside my field of expertise though

the Senate sitting on proceedings against its own rules is just about the only way impeachment could work out as a net 2020 positive so if the House is stupid enough to impeach, I fully support this outcome

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Christie has every single conflict that Sessions did and he was also a MASSIVELY corrupt governor.

i don't really see any indication he is affirmatively, personally committed to throwing the entire weight of the DOJ behind loving every criminal defendant and immigrant he possibly can in every way he possibly can though. already better

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SocketWrench posted:

The fact they did this is just so loving stupid. Jesus Christ. Why? What possible outcome was going to come of this that benefited them against the millions of other captures of this? How loving dumb does the president and his gang of morons have to be?

Shot:
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1060521980615634944

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/AuranAlchemist/status/1060553334728220672

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is a very dangerous toxx, we already had some guy lose a hat eating toxx and make himself some sort of Carmen Miranda hat to get out of, you know, poisoning himself

that was Abe, who also threatened to rape an 11 year old on Twitter.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

eke out posted:

sorry but i've solidified behind christie as by far the least bad person we can possibly hope for

all I know is that every other name is loving crazy, evil, and also absolutely poo poo no-nothing lawyers (see: Bondi, Kobach). i'll take the comically corrupt guy who holds no real opinions over that any day, it'll be a huge upgrade from Sessions

mcmagic posted:

Christie has every single conflict that Sessions did and he was also a MASSIVELY corrupt governor.

mcmagic is correct. Christie is in no way an upgrade over Sessions.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Yet strangely enough, probably the best choice for AG we would ever get out of the Trump admin.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

eke out posted:

i don't really see any indication he is affirmatively, personally committed to throwing the entire weight of the DOJ behind loving every criminal defendant and immigrant he possibly can in every way he possibly can though. already better

Is Christie anywhere close to being as racist as Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Third though?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Adar posted:

the Senate sitting on proceedings against its own rules is just about the only way impeachment could work out as a net 2020 positive so if the House is stupid enough to impeach, I fully support this outcome

Garlanding an impeachment would be a new, extremely-cool thing for McConnell to do, lol

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

The sheer amount of Democratic candidates this year, and the massive donation hauls they raised (enough to easily outspend Republicans), should give a lot of really useful data on the impact of money that we haven't had before, and I'd be real interested in the results.

nuclear, radioactive take: Bloomberg and Steyer are responsible for 10-15 seats between them and are strong indicators that (if not Klobuchar or someone else equally good) a billionaire nominee would be a good idea

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Your Taint posted:

:toxx: I won't do that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Adar posted:

nuclear, radioactive take: Bloomberg and Steyer are responsible for 10-15 seats between them and are strong indicators that (if not Klobuchar or someone else equally good) a billionaire nominee would be a good idea

:wrong: Actually billionaires are trash and the last thing this country needs as global warming sets in and disaster capitalism licks its chops is Michael loving Bloomberg to run for president, hth.

^ you really don't need to toxx that you won't rape children, holy poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Taint posted:

did not follow through, so still not our worst mod

abe was a mod, right?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

They should hire PJW for Communications Team. Why the gently caress not; he seems about as stupid as they are, and they seem to be on the same wave length for dumb conspiracies.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pacra posted:

That wasn't the argument. Of the three options floated thus far (Christie, Kobach, and Bondi) he would be the least bad.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Taerkar posted:

Ehh.... I would say that there was also the element of the unspoken 'Not those guys' policy that wasn't there in 2016. It's a lot harder to say that the GOP candidate won't be that bad when we've seen two years of just how bad they actually are.

I wonder how many Dem candidates that said they wouldn't oppose Trump would win. I know the local one lost.

That's true, but that definition of policy overlaps too much with "caring about party" that it's not a very useful definition for this discussion. If I understand you correctly, I think what you're saying is that Democratic voters are usually "policy first, party second" when it comes to deciding if they will turn out, but this year was an exception because Republicans were just that loving bad for the past two years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Is Christie anywhere close to being as racist as Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Third though?

here is a list of living people more racist than JBS3:

Pacra posted:

assuming he doesn't successfully torch the mueller investigation (a safe assumption imo, if only because mueller's smart enough to have a dead man's switch), he's a massive upgrade over sessions, because sessions is a no-poo poo fascist dedicated to destroying nonwhites and drughavers

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pacra posted:

the conflicts McMagic says are the reason he'd be forced to recuse in the special counsel probe.

seriously are you unfamiliar with Jeff Sessions' personal war on asylum seekers and petty drug offenders? a huge amount of what the DOJ has done in the past two years goes far beyond the Trump administration's preferred policy, it's Sessions' crusade he's spent his whole career dreaming of.

This is why Kushner's people are talking about how they're happy Sessions is gone because he was directly loving their attempt to get an easy PR victory in minor, largely useless prison reform

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I still don't understand how this hack can be installed into a senate confirmed position. Can't house Dems sue over this?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

:wrong: Actually billionaires are trash and the last thing this country needs as global warming sets in and disaster capitalism licks its chops is Michael loving Bloomberg to run for president, hth.

counterpoint: what the country needs is someone who has the absolute maximum chance of being Not Trump and if Michael loving Bloomberg spends a billion dollars maximizing those chances it's a strong argument even before you get to the gently caress All Guns Forever portion of his platform

e: though I don't think he's the best candidate or that he'll run so ultimately this is a pretty useless internet conversation

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Almost certainly (unless Florida governors serve a 2 year term, which I doubt but also don't know for certain

It's a 4 year term.

Also no one is bringing up that Gillum had an extremely stupid own goal with accepting a free Hamilton ticket and trip that got him involved in an FBI investigation. Probably explains the lack of votes when compared to Nelson, who is a known if boring quantity.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

I was going to say, we here in Michigan joke that Minnesota is the California of the north.

I'm sure that Minnesota has some chuddier areas though, like California does.

Yes but this is probably true of anywhere outside of Vermont.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah his meltdown has been a joy to watch.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A take so hot only D&D could cook it up and defend it. gently caress off with this.

American police aren't peacekeepers, they're enforcers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I still don't understand how this hack can be installed into a senate confirmed position. Can't house Dems sue over this?

No.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

here is a list of living people more racist than JBS3:

Is this... is this the moment?

Is this the moment I get to tell GreyjoyBastard that he's wrong???

STEVE KING BINCH.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

I suspect that's not true, because neither of them could donate enough money directly to candidates to be responsible for between half and a third of Dem gains, and money donated directly to candidates is much more valuable than SuperPAC money (both because it's better integrated with the campaign, and because candidates get much lower TV rates so a candidate dollar is actually worth much more than a superpac dollar in how much TV time it can buy), but I'd be interested in seeing why you think that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Taerkar posted:

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is the physical avatar of the Confederacy reborn. It is impossible to be more racist than him.

Oh I forgot about Steve King. Boy is that a contest in hell

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Kimsemus posted:

I know it's not the hip thing to do lately but everyone deserves an advocate

white men advocate for white men, all day every day

you do no lack for representation or advocates, which is why 'white men' don't need special systems built for them or special advocates to protect them from these systems. the current systems are literally built by you, primarily for you (you could argue if this is on purpose or by circumstance, but either way it happened).

this is like a King complaining that no one gives him a fair shake as he's loving all the unmarried young women in the land

shut up and stop spreading bastards then getting upset you have so many legitimacy claims

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eke out posted:

the conflicts McMagic says are the reason he'd be forced to recuse in the special counsel probe.

seriously are you unfamiliar with Jeff Sessions' personal war on asylum seekers and petty drug offenders? a huge amount of what the DOJ has done in the past two years goes far beyond the Trump administration's preferred policy, it's Sessions' crusade he's spent his whole career dreaming of.

This is why Kushner's people are talking about how they're happy Sessions is gone because he was directly loving their attempt to get an easy PR victory in minor, largely useless prison reform

jeff sessions is also the personal mentor and intellectual idol of steves bannon and miller

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

It's a 4 year term.

Also no one is bringing up that Gillum had an extremely stupid own goal with accepting a free Hamilton ticket and trip that got him involved in an FBI investigation. Probably explains the lack of votes when compared to Nelson, who is a known if boring quantity.

What about Desantis' own goal of being an open white nationalist and Trumpist bootlicker?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1060582372343726080

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Is this... is this the moment?

Is this the moment I get to tell GreyjoyBastard that he's wrong???

STEVE KING BINCH.

I'd argue Sessions just learned that he wasn't allowed to say the things King says publicly after he lost the federal judicial nomination a few decades ago because of his history of being an open, public racist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WampaLord posted:

It's a 4 year term.

Yeah, he was cleared but the man was genuinely questioned in a legit, non-partisan investigation that led to actual exposed corruption. And republicans only forgive perceived crimes when it's one of their own

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hm, I forgot Christie existed for a while.

Was discussing this yesterday with some friends and basically I think the Sessions "resignation" is probably a net win for the country because Sessions is both evil and competent, and Trump has really run out of competent evil to replace him with. Sessions will ruin as many lives as he can without getting caught. Incompetent evil like Kobach will also try to ruin as many lives as he can, but he'll get caught and his excuses won't hold up.

Christie isn't as competent as Sessions but he knows how to play the game better than someone like Kobach, but he's also less of a racist and more of a grifter. I... don't know who'd be worse overall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They can, sure. You can sue over anything, crazy people sue over nonsense all the time.

The likelihood of them winning, however, is pretty low, especially given that turfing out the AG as illegitimately appointed is going to the Supreme Court if any lower court rules in favor of turfing out the AG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why? Doesn't this make a joke of the idea of senate conformed roles?

evilweasel posted:

They can, sure. You can sue over anything, crazy people sue over nonsense all the time.

The likelihood of them winning, however, is pretty low, especially given that turfing out the AG as illegitimately appointed is going to the Supreme Court if any lower court rules in favor of turfing out the AG.

OK so make John Roberts rubber stamp Trump's corruption at every step.