Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

cool dance moves posted:

egg's is back baby. they're good again. Awoouu (exhales from deadlifting)

anyways, i'm thinking of trying out martial arts. thoughts? i'd like something defensive that uses the whole body with an emphasis on upper body. also i'd like to throw a punch every so often.

Seconding the Muay Thai suggestion. You learn some standing grappling and how to use your elbows, which in the off chance you have to protect yourself is much safer on your body than punching people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TheDon01 posted:

:dudsmile:

Like 15 to go and I'm beginning to hate running less

I got in a nice two hour run this morning, but the weather isn't likely to stay pleasant enough to justify much more outdoor running this season (and I'm not one of those maniacs who goes out in below freezing temps).

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Nov 8, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I have already switched to the treadmill which lets me catch up on ANIME

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
jogging in snow is awesome as long as you can get traction

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

jogging in snow is awesome as long as you can get traction

I do not care for it. Snow is for skiing, not running.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

tore my rotator cuff gently caress the world

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah I'm glad I got some nice treads at the gym, I usually run outside but the weather has dipped down to like 20F lately and we just got some snow.

They also just got this new Life Fitness elliptical with adjustable stride length or something and it feels a lot better than normal elliptical that always feel like they're forcing me to run with someone else's legs.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

feels awesome when you find out you were doing a lift juuuuuust a little wrong and you manage to correct it

running chat: finally back on it since i went on hiatus a couple weeks ago for no good reason. got a high on my first time out :birddrugs:

C-Euro posted:

My wife gave me a trial membership at a boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ gym for Christmas a couple years ago and I really liked it. Did mostly boxing with a bit of Muay Thai at the end, boxing is a pretty good cardio workout if you do it properly.

TheKingslayer posted:

Seconding the Muay Thai suggestion. You learn some standing grappling and how to use your elbows, which in the off chance you have to protect yourself is much safer on your body than punching people.

i'll look up muay thai, thanks! dunno if i'm gonna be able to find any in my area, so i'll take boxing as second choice if it comes to that.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
the most cspam cardio workout, imo, is dance dance revolution

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the most cspam cardio workout, imo, is dance dance revolution

DDR is no joke good cardio if you're doing 9 foot plus songs

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
When I was a teenager I would hang out at the mall and people would ask me if it was raining outside because I was soaked in sweat from playing DDR :lol:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Theres an old man in here just sitting on a cable machine and hes done nothing but browse 4chan my entire run.

Going on about 35m now.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

MaxxBot posted:

DDR is no joke good cardio if you're doing 9 foot plus songs

I've significantly improved my running times by playing hard stuff (8 or so notes per second avg). It's hella good.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I got bored with lifting and fell out of practice when I moved, but I found a climbing gym near me that has a secret power rack that no one uses because climbers are allergic to mass, but it means I can do my namby pamby climbing then go bench or squat depending on which muscles I have left

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

Theres an old man in here just sitting on a cable machine and hes done nothing but browse 4chan my entire run.

Going on about 35m now.

doctor said go to the gym and that's what he's doing, he's at the gym

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

TheDon01 posted:

Going on about 35m now.

the weak exercise their bodies

the strong exercise their minds

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I finally got my fat rear end to the gym

to cancel

Lifting heavy stuff at work is going to be it for me. I've never been able to manage work + gym for any length of time :shrug:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

tried to do some pressing yesterday and it was a complete shitshow and i haven't been to bjj in two weeks because i tore up my god damned shoulder. gonna get some more body work done on sunday and then i guess i'll go see a doctor.

looks like i'm only doing pulls/legs from here on out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

See a doctor and maybe just not do anything for awhile so ur gat dang body can heal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stay at home and get trashed instead but make sure to mix some protein powder in your liquor to protecc ur gainz

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

See a doctor and maybe just not do anything for awhile so ur gat dang body can heal

going to continue training ignoring chest/shoulders until i have the proportions of an armadillo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

going to continue training ignoring chest/shoulders until i have the proportions of an armadillo

Somewhere, Rippetoe is stirring as though summoned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I got a single session with a trainer to correct my form on the Stronglifts stuff.

He spent like 5 minutes trying to get me correct on the barbell rows and then went, "hey look...you don't need to figure out the form to use these 3 row machines."

He also said he wouldn't start a beginner on free weights at all, but I'm just going to ignore him on that.

But other than the barbell rows, I think I have a better handle on the form for stuff now.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

What the hell?

Yeah lift all the freeweights. Just dont go ham starting off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

What the hell?

Yeah lift all the freeweights. Just dont go ham starting off.

:shrug:

He's the professional, so I'm sure he's got his reasons. Although he did initially try to get me to squat on the Smith machine, which from what I understand is a no-no.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I know I'm painting with a broad, unfair brush, but a lot of the "professionals" are dipshits

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Free weights own but I would definitely make sure you have someone there to observe and correct your form if you're starting out, otherwise you end up with Don Jr deadlifts. If this trainer is telling you not to worry about free weight form when you ask him to help you learn said form, then he is probably bad at his job!

Also, does chewing gum count as breaking a fast y/n

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Free weights own but I would definitely make sure you have someone there to observe and correct your form if you're starting out, otherwise you end up with Don Jr deadlifts. If this trainer is telling you not to worry about free weight form when you ask him to help you learn said form, then he is probably bad at his job!

He didn't say that. He gave me good tips on everything else, but the barbell row was so hopeless that he just showed me the machines that replicate it.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Free weights rule but yeah, be cautious about using them if you're starting out. Having someone more experienced keep an eye on you is a big help.

As for the barbell rows, did you do them in front of a mirror? If not, practice in front of one with your trainer--or at least a youtube video or something. It'll help you realize where you're going wrong.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Theres a cool new Ronnie Coleman docu on Netflix.

drat dude is in rough shape currently :smithcloud:

Lightweight baby

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ran 10 miles this morning and then immediately went and lifted. Bad idea but I survived somehow (until I wake up tomorrow and can't move).

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

looks like i'm gonna have to buy some new belts soon :toot:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

He didn't say that. He gave me good tips on everything else, but the barbell row was so hopeless that he just showed me the machines that replicate it.

i rarely do barbell rows. you can build a wide back with pullups/chinups and seated cable row at varying grip widths. you should be doing some higher rep accessory work with cable machines if you want to change the way your physique looks. i still like them every now and then but they aren't a staple in my back workouts.

barbell beginner plans are great for getting a good base to build on but most of them are designed to get high school kids strong for football so you finish them still looking like poo poo.

im going to start moving toward more bodybuilding style programming. seems like it's easier on the body and you can train more frequently than strength focused programs. given that im destroying my joints and ruining my body with my current programming it's probably a good plan for me

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

gonna go do some real light pressing just trying to get a decent pump into my chest/shoulders. this probably won't work and i'll just go do back again.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've done like several years worth of lifting at this poin, and I will never figure out how to do barbell rows correctly

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

oh what up fitness thread, I should look at things besides by bookmarks sometimes. Checking in to mention I run way too loving much, mostly racing marathons and ultras. good luck to everyone getting started with fitness, keep it up! :anarchists:

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've done like several years worth of lifting at this poin, and I will never figure out how to do barbell rows correctly

hump that bar

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

oh what up fitness thread, I should look at things besides by bookmarks sometimes. Checking in to mention I run way too loving much, mostly racing marathons and ultras. good luck to everyone getting started with fitness, keep it up! :anarchists:

I've done marathons, but ultras are past what I consider even excessive running and well into the realm of ludicrous and borderline pathological.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

but ultras are past what I consider even excessive running and well into the realm of ludicrous and borderline pathological.

I cannot deny this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

can i do heavy deadlifts with a SLAP tear in my rotator cuff? i've heard there is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift.