Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LividLiquid posted:

How in gently caress's name does anybody grow up loving Star Trek and then demonize social justice warriors?

Star Trek has been progressive as gently caress from the word go.

Hey, have I got a show for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

I wonder how many feathers you'd need to pile up on a steel beam to have enough weight to compress the steel enough that it would melt. I'm guessing a stack around 250 miles tall.

I assume the bottom feathers would combust or liquify or something equally horrifying long before they put enough pressure on the steel to melt it

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Replicated food : CDs :: Cooked food : Vinyl records

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I assume the bottom feathers would combust or liquify or something equally horrifying long before they put enough pressure on the steel to melt it

Do the remains of those feathers still count as feathers

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Banana Canada posted:

I approve of this analogy because vinyl records are often mastered better than CDs, even though CDs could be mastered the same way if the engineers wanted to, but musicians who don't understand anything about the process will usually blame CDs themselves for being mastered poorly
:goonsay:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

I approve of this analogy because vinyl records are often mastered better than CDs, even though CDs could be mastered the same way if the engineers wanted to, but musicians who don't understand anything about the process will usually blame CDs themselves for being mastered poorly

Though some new releases are seeing non-brickwalled CD/digital masters but still nothing beats cranking up the volume on my sound system and placing the needle on some sweet vinyl

It’s me, I’m the problem

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cessna posted:

Hey, have I got a show for you...

This episode should be required viewing for all trekkies over the age of 30.

Also I've said it before but I desperately want the spinoff.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Though some new releases are seeing non-brickwalled CD/digital masters but still nothing beats cranking up the volume on my sound system and placing the needle on some sweet vinyl

It’s me, I’m the problem

I got me a couple milk crates of those them music circles, you're not alone

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Banana Canada posted:

What the gently caress is a cd?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sir Lemming posted:

I am absolutely into this analogy. Early replicators were basically matter photocopiers, and templates were limited by what they were able to measure (at the time) of an original's final form, not taking into account the effects of preparation/manufacturing. Over time, people figured out how to build templates around the technology's inherent capabilities and the measurements to create new templates became more precise, so replicated products improved immensely - if they're based on those newer templates.

However, the stigma of the early, flat days remains, and the lovely templates are still out there in various libraries.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

After The War posted:

However, the stigma of the early, flat days remains, and the lovely templates are still out there in various libraries.

And you know some people prefer them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Brawnfire posted:

And you know some people prefer them.

Which makes sense if there's a movement to "re-imagine" classic flavors for modern tastes by... I dunno, increasing the value of all the spices.

(:argh: 20th Anniversary version of Nevermind!)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well I just think Ferengi mauve-pepper complements the flavors in a paella

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Replicated food is a game on Snes9x stretched to 16:9 on an LCD monitor

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"Computer, give me a 30-centimetre pizza," *beep boop boop, whrrrrrrr-* "-and I want the kind with sliced hot dogs on it." *-rrrrfzk. automated self-destruct system activated. ten. nine. eight.*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spincube posted:

"Computer, give me a 30-centimetre pizza," *beep boop boop, whrrrrrrr-* "-and I want the kind with sliced hot dogs on it." *-rrrrfzk. automated self-destruct system activated. ten. nine. eight.*

Federation food replicators are extremely culturally sensitive and also have their own prime directive: No Pizza Rules

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The fun part is making that AI do some work, and asking it to make a lasagna like 14th century Bolian chef Sraxin Dott, or plomeek soup with only things on hand in a 20th-century Earth kitchen. You end up with a culinary version of Riker's "table".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Computer, in the Fierian style, make a bacon cheeseburger capable of defeating Riker."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If you ask the replicator to make you a sandwich without any further elaboration, is there any chance that it would produce a hot dog?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

If you ask the replicator to make you a sandwich without any further elaboration, is there any chance that it would produce a hot dog?

There is a chance it will produce a tribble.

But yes, if it's set that way. It might be set to always default to a ham on rye or whatever, or it might use an RNG to choose any sandwich in its database. Like a hot dog sandwich.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tng season 8 episode 20: After spot diesData learns to cook comfort food in the holodeck from Chef Guy Fieri. A Founder falls in love with Commander Riker

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Well I just think Ferengi mauve-pepper complements the flavors in a paella

poo poo if it's anything like Tasmanian Pepper Berries which totally add a mauve color to things I fully agree

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Federation food replicators are extremely culturally sensitive and also have their own prime directive: No Pizza Rules
Computer. None pizza with left beef.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Computer. None pizza with left beef.

Compliance!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Computer, one pizza with the following topping: pizzas identical to that already specified

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Computer, give me three dozen swedish meatballs arranged perfectly in a star of david, 18 degrees celsius

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Computer, one thingie of admiral pips plus one admiral uniform plus a admiral diploma plus a book with ship override codes, please

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Data: "Computer, one pizza with pineapple."
Computer: "Unable to comply. Command authorization required."
Data: "Geordi, the Computer requires authorization from an additional member of the senior staff before it will disengage the replicator safety protocols."
Geordi: "Data, I'm your friend and I'm not just gonna stand around and let you do this!"

The Bloop posted:

Compliance!

A first-class post.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wizzardstaff posted:

Hell, I'm not sure you'd actually get food in the first place.

Duct tape, for instance is technically a sandwich of polyethylene, fabric, and adhesive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Tng season 8 episode 20: After spot diesData learns to cook comfort food in the holodeck from Chef Guy Fieri.

Finally a satisfying explanation for triple-chin Nemesis Data

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally a satisfying explanation for triple-chin Nemesis Data

We know he can control the colour of his hair. Why can't Data just decide to look older in other ways?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Duct tape, for instance is technically a sandwich of polyethylene, fabric, and adhesive.

This is violence

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What if you really wanted a sand sculpture of a witch?

Will that use the same intent sensors as the doors?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
A hot dog can only be a sandwich if both buns are fully separated and that would let all the ketchup leak out.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
What about an open-faced sandwich where there's only one slice of bread?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Plotac 75 posted:

What about an open-faced sandwich where there's only one slice of bread?

soft shell taco

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So... a regular taco.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Computer, one soft shell taco filled with Kelpien threat ganglia, please.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wizzardstaff posted:

No, because it will ask you to elaborate on what kind of sandwich.

As I recall, Tom Paris couldn't even order "tomato soup" without the computer asking him for more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Delsaber posted:

Computer, one soft shell taco filled with Kelpien threat ganglia, please.

Having re watched DS9, I have to conclude that by comparison Disco was pretty bad but there are all the ingredients in place to make it good:

-threat ganglia
-magic mushroom drive
-klingons with two dicks