Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Joey Freshwater posted:

Another RDR2 one. When you go hunting you can skin the animals after you kill them. For real small game, he just puts the skin in his satchel. For bigger game like deer, Rams, goats, etc, you have to store them on your horse. So Arthur will unfurl the skin and lay it across your horse, stacking them every time you get a new one.

For the biggest game like Elk, Moose and Bears, you wind up with this huge roll that you can only carry one of at a time on your horse, which he puts on top of the medium size skins that are already laying across your horse.

Now, if you add more medium sized skins, I assumed that he would just unfurl them as normal and they’d clip through the large game roll, but no, he actually takes the extra step to stuff the skin under the large roll with the other medium ones.

I don’t know if that makes sense at all but it was a think that they totally didn’t have to do and I definitely appreciated the extra step.

Do they still have the super annoying skinning animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

It's even MORE detailed now! :D

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Blood Sally posted:

I just beat the tower boss and I had to come back to this, because to The Mummy Demastered's credit the boss fight doesn't come out of no where if you choose the wrong door. For one, it's perhaps not immediately obvious, but before boss rooms you'll enter an empty transition room with unique creepy music to "warn" you. Also, as long as you pick up the Map for each section (and they are generally pretty easy to find in a room near a zone entrance), you'll know exactly where the save point is. Lastly, bosses are always marked on maps as "waypoints" by the Prodigium commander, so even if you don't have a map detailing save points, you should know where NOT to go. I had no issue avoiding the tower boss and getting to the nearby save point.

I mean, I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the issue of getting stuck in a point where you can't easily reclaim your gear, and the having to farm up ammo and health when a refill station isn't placed near a boss door is as tedious as it sounds, but credit due where credit due. Mummy Demastered is far from perfect (my kingdom for a double-jump), but not identifying save points isn't really a problem.
I mean, all I can say on that point is you had forewarning at that spot that I didn't have when playing the game. I don't normally check the map unless item/room hunting or stuck and, for the few hours up to that point, I'd been cruising smoothly for a few hours without needing to pay mind to the death system as particularly punishing.

Either way, being able to avoid a mechanic isn't the same as endorsing the mechanic as good. Sounds like you aren't at the final boss yet, which is where I remember the ammo refill thing being a problem, so maybe my memory merged the incidents together since it's been a long time since I played it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Glagha posted:

Because the game came up in a discussion of QTEs in the horror game thread, Asura's Wrath is my very favorite use of QTEs in video games. The fact that they don't just use them as a lazy substitute for real gameplay but actually lean into them as an accent to the action going on in screen is great. Having mash prompts pop up all over the screen while you're mashing along with a rapid fire punchfest in the same places as all the fists, or pulling triggers and moving both sticks along with Asura stomping his feet and throwing his arms wide as he widens his stance to ready for a giant continent sized finger coming out of the sky to crush him feels REALLY good.
The Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games do the same sort of thing in their boss fights (not surprising, since I think they were made by the same developer). The commands even correspond roughly with what those buttons do in regular gameplay.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yook posted:

I mean, all I can say on that point is you had forewarning at that spot that I didn't have when playing the game. I don't normally check the map unless item/room hunting or stuck and, for the few hours up to that point, I'd been cruising smoothly for a few hours without needing to pay mind to the death system as particularly punishing.

Either way, being able to avoid a mechanic isn't the same as endorsing the mechanic as good. Sounds like you aren't at the final boss yet, which is where I remember the ammo refill thing being a problem, so maybe my memory merged the incidents together since it's been a long time since I played it.

I hear you, but I also wasn't checking the map any more frequently because of the forewarning. But my point wasn't really talking about the death mechanic and whether or not it was bad. I get what you're saying and agree--I was concerned less about getting stuck in a place and being unable to get your gear, and more about the fact that Mummy Demastered did in fact give forewarning of their bosses. It's more in response to the comments that came up afterwards, 'cause people were then talking about save points with signposts and how metroidvanias shouldn't make you feel lost or aimless. Mummy Demastered has spooky music, maps that mark save points, and flashing dots on the map a la Super Metroid that highlight the next objective/boss fight. The death mechanic is clearly unbalanced and can be annoying as hell, but I've never accidentally stumbled into a boss fight because I always knew which room would advance the plot and thus could be avoided.

(The flashing objective dot doesn't appear on the mini-map, so I could see how stumbling onto a boss could still happen if you hadn't picked up a map upgrade and missed the music cue).

EDIT: to be clear, I am mildly surprised you stumbled into a boss fight, but it was obviously a mistake and the game punished you for it to a stupid degree. I just think it would be a shame if someone were to see that post, think "Mummy Demastered doesn't show you where bosses and save points are?? gently caress that garbage game", and miss out on a solid metroidvania that's a lot of fun despite its inconsistent mechanics.

Sally has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Nov 7, 2018

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Yeah, I don't want to dump on it too much since it's an excellent game otherwise. Just the implementation of the death mechanic doesn't leave a lot of leeway if it goes awry, which it did for me those two times. YMMV.

In other news, I've been playing loads of shadowverse lately. If you fail a solo mission twice, it lets you pick from a selection of their prebuilt decks, which is pretty nice if you haven't gotten cards for that particular class out of the free card packs. Right now I'm trying to get a work friend into it since friend battles have an arena mode (build a deck out of a random card selection), which hopefully levels things out without both players needing to have the exact same investment on buying packs or looking up decks online like I ran into with hearthstone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"I screwed things up back there"

"You are my son"

Kratos just rolls with everything because he knows he's ultimately king of fuckups. I want the series to continue out to like God of War 18 with him just murdering his way through different religions until it's just him and the newest son Jesus

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Len posted:

"I screwed things up back there"

"You are my son"

Kratos just rolls with everything because he knows he's ultimately king of fuckups. I want the series to continue out to like God of War 18 with him just murdering his way through different religions until it's just him and the newest son Jesus

"YOU KNEW IT WOULD COME TO THIS, SON!"
"WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, FATHER?!"
*repeatedly press X to hammer in nail*

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yakuza 0:

I like the general gameplay loop of GTA and other open world sorta walk about games but they tend to all be theme'd around being criminals and horrible people and I really appreciate that while you can't really deny that Kiryu and friends are all terrible people, the fact that he's eager to get back a child's stolen video game and solve random people's problems makes me feel like less of an rear end than i do in other games of the genre.

I just don't like bein the bad guy :saddowns:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

It’s there, but honestly I dont notice it as much. At least not as much as the looting animation. You wind up doing that way more so I guess it’s more obvious than the skinning one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like about Jameson in Spider-Man is that sometimes he's actually got a point - like when he predicted that putting kingpin away would have disastrous consequences on the stability of the city's criminal ecosystem, and criticising spidey for destroying the interior of a Bank when stopping Shocker from robbing it, pointing out that he could have waited until Shocker was outside and had more room to manoeuvre.

Also the plot is fairly sweet because it skips all the drama. MJ already knows Peter's identity, they have already broken up, it's been 6 months and they are at the point where they can just work together solving crimes and it's not all weird.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Agent355 posted:

Yakuza 0:

I like the general gameplay loop of GTA and other open world sorta walk about games but they tend to all be theme'd around being criminals and horrible people and I really appreciate that while you can't really deny that Kiryu and friends are all terrible people, the fact that he's eager to get back a child's stolen video game and solve random people's problems makes me feel like less of an rear end than i do in other games of the genre.

https://twitter.com/Camperjon/status/905632458485276674

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Screaming Idiot posted:

"YOU KNEW IT WOULD COME TO THIS, BOY!"
"WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, FATHER?!"
*repeatedly press X to hammer in nail*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Agent355 posted:

Yakuza 0:

I have no idea what makes you think that Kiryu is a) a bad guy or b) a terrible person. He arguably works for some bad people, but I'm not even sure that's the case, since in almost all the Yakuza games he's pretty independent.

Kiryu is not a bad guy. He doesn't care about getting power or money or anything, he's concerned about the status of his clan and its honor, mostly to honor the memory of his adoptive father, but even then, if given the choice he would never actually kill someone, and would also rather not even hurt anyone unless forced to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Random drunk Kiryu got into fisticuffs with that Kiryu then pulled out a gun and shot him three times? 100% alive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Barudak posted:

Random drunk Kiryu got into fisticuffs with that Kiryu then pulled out a gun and shot him three times? 100% alive.

Wouldn't be able to apologize profusely and give you a lump of carbon/plate if he died.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Wouldn't be able to apologize profusely and give you a lump of carbon/plate if he died.

ITT, people do not understand how JRPGs work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I agree he is, in fact, alive.

Its why kiryu doesnt feel bad shooting him with a non-plot gun.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I love how in Kiwami (or is it 2?) that "Be True to Yourself" is the final hostess quest trophy. :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kiryu just wants to help all the thugs of Kamurocho become their best selves, and unfortunately sometimes the only way to do that is to beat them over the head with a bicycle.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Kiryu just wants to help all the thugs of Kamurocho become their best selves, and unfortunately sometimes the only way to do that is to beat them over the head with a bicycle.
Fav lil thing in Yakuza: how deadly bikes are

one, two, SPINNING TIME

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

What I like about the bicycles at least in Zero is the warrior-rear end expression on Kiryu’s face and then the pause before he OHKO’s a dude by slamming the whole thing over his fuckin skull in a Heat Action.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morpheus posted:

I have no idea what makes you think that Kiryu is a) a bad guy or b) a terrible person. He arguably works for some bad people, but I'm not even sure that's the case, since in almost all the Yakuza games he's pretty independent.

The very introduction of Yakuza 0 is him beating some schmuck half to death over collections. Yakuza ain’t good people, dude.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know how ludonarritive dissonance has become this big thing by ~*~artist~*~ game reviewers who talk about how "boy isn't it so weird how calm Drake is in cutscenes when he made like 4 million orphans????" Well Yakuza is the opposite of that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This guy's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkBG-x_8CI

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

He actually is, and he's a gigantic pain in the rear end when he comes back.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

yakuza 0: beast style owns

I was a little worried because I really just can't manage to get Rush style to work for poo poo compared to brawler. I was worried the next style would be equally disappointing but nope, owns.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leal posted:

You know how ludonarritive dissonance has become this big thing by ~*~artist~*~ game reviewers who talk about how "boy isn't it so weird how calm Drake is in cutscenes when he made like 4 million orphans????" Well Yakuza is the opposite of that.

I mean, the entire concept of "the good guy" in fiction is based on perspective and relative judgment, and compared to every named male in the series, Kiryu is a loving saint.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I like about Jameson in Spider-Man is that sometimes he's actually got a point - like when he predicted that putting kingpin away would have disastrous consequences on the stability of the city's criminal ecosystem, and criticising spidey for destroying the interior of a Bank when stopping Shocker from robbing it, pointing out that he could have waited until Shocker was outside and had more room to manoeuvre.

Also the plot is fairly sweet because it skips all the drama. MJ already knows Peter's identity, they have already broken up, it's been 6 months and they are at the point where they can just work together solving crimes and it's not all weird.

Yeah the secret identity doesn't cause problems between him and MJ but how he treats her because of who he is, and it's the kind of disagreement where they're both right and wrong.

Also Jameson was wrong about the fight with Shocker, unless he wants those vibro-blasts tearing up other buildings and endangering everyone in them and on the street, :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

There are things worse than death in the world of Yakuza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIj0hbn0L7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdvcw_2vBs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

yakuza 0: beast style owns

I was a little worried because I really just can't manage to get Rush style to work for poo poo compared to brawler. I was worried the next style would be equally disappointing but nope, owns.

Overall the game feels like it wants you to switch styles often but fortunately there is little drawback in going full Beast 90% of the time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I like how in Beast style, you can't block. Kiryu just hardens the gently caress up and takes less damage. After a few upgrades, this also works against guns and knives. After a few more upgrades, if you have a maxed heat bar and hit the block button right as an attack hits, you take no damage at all. This also works on guns and knives, as far as I can tell. And you immediately disarm whoever is attacking you, unless they're using a bladed weapon

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Nov 9, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just stuck with the blue style for both Kiryu and Majima, and that's where I invested all my yen. The pink styles lacked the stopping power to get any kind of control in any even remotely difficult fight, so I never used them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RyokoTK posted:

I just stuck with the blue style for both Kiryu and Majima, and that's where I invested all my yen. The pink styles lacked the stopping power to get any kind of control in any even remotely difficult fight, so I never used them.

You're missing the Breaker style?

Cute little thing about getting that style: Majima's immediate thoughts on learning it is 'I need to find someone to breakdance-fight, this poo poo is awesome'.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

You're missing the Breaker style?

Cute little thing about getting that style: Majima's immediate thoughts on learning it is 'I need to find someone to breakdance-fight, this poo poo is awesome'.

I am not a huge fan in general of Yakuza bosses simply being able to break the established rules of combat and the only way I was able to beat them, especially on hard, is just to lean very heavily into heat moves.

Rush and Breaker don't have a context-agnostic neutral heat move, which was a considerable downside in my experience.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Rush style owns because when fully upgraded it plays like Zone of the Enders. I played most of Kiwami in Rush, including the final boss

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

If you haven’t clowned fools with a Majima brand baseball bat I feel bad for you so.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bussamove posted:

If you haven’t clowned fools with a Majima brand baseball bat I feel bad for you so.

Wiping out a whole group of hooligans with one well-timed Square, Square, Triangle home run swing is super satisfying.

Also, back to bikes, my favorite scenario is to run into Mr. Shakedown next to a rack of bikes, and break 8 of them one by one over his head.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite thing is that I spent the last 9 months or so playing Yakuza 0 on and off, and I'm nearly done with the side content (that I want to actually do) so I can finish the game pretty soon. Coincidentally, Yakuza Kiwami just dropped on the free PSN games this month, saving me the 20 bucks I'd inevitably spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own (even if it's not that great, see ME3). What order do the Yakuza games go in? I'm so damned confused with the numbering and release dates.

PYF games, just everything about the skinner box that is Slime Rancher for the first ten hours. Haven't felt that mesmerized by complete by-the-numbers garbage since 2009 and Minecraft. I'm done with Slime Rancher now, but man the $3 for it from SAMart was a great buy for a couple days' of podcast-listening mindless entertainment.