Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Phlegmish posted:

That and the episode where Lisa is afraid of going to hell for stealing cable were really uncomfortable and weird to European audiences.

I assume that even in America tons of people at the time were going 'what is this Third World theocratic bullshit'

I was raised like like Lisa to worry about going to hell and the episode was normal to me.

You have to remember that even in 2018 outside of our major cities and a few coastal states the US is still very conservative and it has always been a conservative country since the beginning.

I can say If that episode was brand new and shown today most people in the US would not think it was weird.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait in the 2000s there were actually people still banning Simpsons in their homes? What the gently caress

We only got Simpsons on terrestrial TV in the UK in like 1996 and they also weren't allowed to read newspapers.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

lol I like how it has only 20% of the calcium you'd get in actual milk, explaining why the drinker's bones are so brittle.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

goldenninjawarrior posted:

We only got Simpsons on terrestrial TV in the UK in like 1996 and they also weren't allowed to read newspapers.

We had cable in the UK that gave us Sky One, which had the Simpsons from 1990. I remember there being loads of chatter about how rude it was and how it wasn't suitable for children. My parents decided to tape the episodes, watch them and then decide if it was okay for me (age 6) and my brother (age 11) to watch them.

They did this for three episodes before going "what the hell this isn't even remotely risque" and just let us watch it normally.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait in the 2000s there were actually people still banning Simpsons in their homes? What the gently caress

I remember seeing the South Park Movie on opening night and there were some women in line in front of my friends that had the following exchange:

:confused: "What is South Park?"
:v: It's a cartoon that's raunchier than The Simpsons

A lot of the moral panic that revolved around The Simpsons was that they were a lot more realistic of a family instead of the squeaky clean nuclear families that were on all the other sitcoms (barring Married with Children).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also everyone was head-exploding over the idea of "A cartoon? FOR ADULTS???!?"

(Yes, everything from Bugs Bunny to the Flintstones was originally aimed at all ages, but had universally entered the realm of "thing you put on TV to entertain the toddlers" by the 80s)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Also everyone was head-exploding over the idea of "A cartoon? FOR ADULTS???!?"

(Yes, everything from Bugs Bunny to the Flintstones was originally aimed at all ages, but had universally entered the realm of "thing you put on TV to entertain the toddlers" by the 80s)

Cartoons in the 70's and 80's were pretty goddamn dire

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Simpsons from 1990.
"what the hell this isn't even remotely risque"

In 1991 I can't think of a single boy in our school who wasn't watching "Bottom". The Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson living cartoon about two wankers who fight and fart and talk about hard-ons for half an hour every week. Yeah, it was on after the watershed, but we'd all watch it anyway.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I will never get how Americans can be so utterly aggressive and violent about so many things and then utterly balless about something like The Simpsons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nutsngum posted:

I will never get how Americans can be so utterly aggressive and violent about so many things and then utterly balless about something like The Simpsons.

You know, one thing I've learned is, we have no problem with all kinds of blood gore and violence on TV, but once there's a titty on screen, that's way too far

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

I was raised like like Lisa to worry about going to hell and the episode was normal to me.

You have to remember that even in 2018 outside of our major cities and a few coastal states the US is still very conservative and it has always been a conservative country since the beginning.

I can say If that episode was brand new and shown today most people in the US would not think it was weird.

I got the impression that it was finally changing, half a century after the rest of the developed world turned secular? Even today's alt-right types are more likely to be smug atheists than conservative Christians.

Of course, I know the US mostly through the lens of the Internet, and I realize that's not representative.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
More than 70% of the US still identifies as Christian. This has been constantly decreasing for many years (it was more like 80-85% in the 90s) but it is still not nearly as dechristianized as the Western European nations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
i mean even if you yourself are not religious is it really so weird to watch a story about an 8 year old girl worrying about morality and sort of take the hell aspect as a metaphor for the general consequences of not living what she perceives to be a moral life

or is it just beep boop i am a man from estonia or whatever and i have never seen a church somehow thus i cannot ever relate or understand this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't think much of it and I doubt most people here did, but I definitely remember my dad being all 'what is this poo poo'

He didn't try to keep me from watching The Simpsons to protect me from dangerous fundamentalist influences, though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Riptor posted:

i mean even if you yourself are not religious is it really so weird to watch a story about an 8 year old girl worrying about morality and sort of take the hell aspect as a metaphor for the general consequences of not living what she perceives to be a moral life

or is it just beep boop i am a man from estonia or whatever and i have never seen a church somehow thus i cannot ever relate or understand this

Nobody, Lisa included, would have cared that Homer stole cable, except hell is a real place where you will go if you eat two grapes without paying. It was a bit weird to a kid from godless commieland, yeah.

Compare it to Marge be not Proud. It's a huge deal to Marge that Bart shoplifted because she's worried about what sort of person he's becoming, what sort of mother she is etc

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Riptor posted:

No, no! The PTA has not disbanded

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Right, in the UK all us school kids were watching Bottom, Red Dwarf, Blackadder. We had Carry On... on TV, with the boobies. We had Queen's I Want To Break Free, where men... *gulp* dressed as *whispers* ladies (banned in the US, too naughty).

The Simpsons being risque was mindboggling

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember seeing the South Park Movie on opening night and there were some women in line in front of my friends that had the following exchange:

:confused: "What is South Park?"
:v: It's a cartoon that's raunchier than The Simpsons

A lot of the moral panic that revolved around The Simpsons was that they were a lot more realistic of a family instead of the squeaky clean nuclear families that were on all the other sitcoms (barring Married with Children).

Does anyone else really hate the word raunchy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Alan_Shore posted:

Right, in the UK all us school kids were watching Bottom, Red Dwarf, Blackadder. We had Carry On... on TV, with the boobies. We had Queen's I Want To Break Free, where men... *gulp* dressed as *whispers* ladies (banned in the US, too naughty).

Keep in mind that parents in the US, from 1981 through approximately 1994, were absolutely terrified of their children seeing womens' nipples

Then Friends came about and changed the game completely

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Keep in mind that parents in the US, from 1981 through approximately 1994, were absolutely terrified of their children seeing womens' nipples

Oh sure, I get it now, but even still, it's just so crazy how different our cultures are (one of my favourite things that points this out is in Evil Dead 2, where the only thing that the BBFC cut out was Ash being kicked on the floor, because in Blighty we don't kick a man when he's down. And at the same time MTV was loving terrified of men in dresses)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Not a Children posted:

What did friends do? I never got into it

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did friends do? I never got into it

Turned down the thermostat on set whenever Jennifer Aniston was on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's interesting that Friends came up, because my dad (yeah again I know, he just loves to go ohhh Americans :argh:) likes to use it as proof that American culture is really weird and puritan, 'even in New York'. Especially that one episode where everyone is losing their poo poo because they saw each other naked in the shower or something. I always have to explain that even though Friends is set in Manhattan, it doesn't necessarily accurately reflect the attitudes (or the demographics for that matter) of the inhabitants of NYC.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone else really hate the word raunchy.

It's gross to read, worse to hear.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hey, I just realized nobody really talks about "Lisa the Iconoclast." It's not the worst episode, but having stumbled upon it today I was reminded that at the time it came out, I thought it was considerably lame and signaled the beginning of the end.

I'll take a dozen "Saddlesore Galacticas" before I watch something as milquetoast as that episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is "Saddlesore Galactica" the elf jockey one? Because that's the first episode I remember watching and thinking "this is just awful. Nonsensical. Embarrassing"

Edit: I was 15. Christ I remember it like it was yesterday. The trauma

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey, I just realized nobody really talks about "Lisa the Iconoclast." It's not the worst episode, but having stumbled upon it today I was reminded that at the time it came out, I thought it was considerably lame and signaled the beginning of the end.

I'll take a dozen "Saddlesore Galacticas" before I watch something as milquetoast as that episode.

What the HELL

Lisa the Iconoclast is a perfectly cromulent episode

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Riptor posted:

I don't remember if there's any of it in the Lisa episode, but there was at least one episode that ran with some serious hellfire and brimstone imagery as punishment for doing something completely harmless. It was either that episode or Homer the Heretic, I wanna say. It weirded me the hell out that people took issue with suggesting adults had naked bodies or Bart saying "hell drat fart" but the message that you will be tortured for eternity if you consciously skip church or steal cable is not just fine, but actually good parenting.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I mean part of the point is that those were over-the-top representations of American puritan morality. The problem is that there's a very vocal contingent of Americans that not only believe those things but believe that their very mortal souls are dependent upon believing and upholding and evangelizing them, and they didn't really enjoy being mocked

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I mean, I had no issue with the Treehouse episode where Homer sells his soul and goes to hell for a day, because that was obviously a joke, but I do remember one episode using it as an actual moral and being weirded out. I was also really puzzled when I first learned that there were young adults who used South Park as a moral compass because I tuned it out pretty early after some oddly preachy episodes about atheism and global warming.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Might be thinking of Homer the Heretic, where Homer is almost actually consumed by fire as the result of his hubris? I thought that whole thing was really flippant about it but gave a nod to well-maybe-there-is-something-there-after-all

As for South Park: The other fun part of American morality is never, ever critically analyzing the things that agree with your beliefs

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

We did have an episode of Star Trek banned because it referenced Irish reunification.

Sorority Fister
Aug 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan_Shore posted:

This is also around the time the Vice President of the United States of America pubically stated that Murphy Brown was not a great role model.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't remember if there's any of it in the Lisa episode, but there was at least one episode that ran with some serious hellfire and brimstone imagery as punishment for doing something completely harmless. It was either that episode or Homer the Heretic, I wanna say. It weirded me the hell out that people took issue with suggesting adults had naked bodies or Bart saying "hell drat fart" but the message that you will be tortured for eternity if you consciously skip church or steal cable is not just fine, but actually good parenting.

Not a Children posted:

Might be thinking of Homer the Heretic, where Homer is almost actually consumed by fire as the result of his hubris? I thought that whole thing was really flippant about it but gave a nod to well-maybe-there-is-something-there-after-all

As for South Park: The other fun part of American morality is never, ever critically analyzing the things that agree with your beliefs

It's in the same episode everyone's talking about - Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment - where, upon feeling conflicted about watching stolen cable with the rest of the family Lisa sees a vision of them consumed in fire and literally sitting with the devil:

but again this is a depiction of Lisa's conflict with the issue - it's not the show saying "yes this is indeed a deserved punishment".

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

hand-fed baby bird posted:

We did have an episode of Star Trek banned because it referenced Irish reunification.

The town I went to Uni in has had Monty Python's Life of Brian banned for over 30 years:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7514423.stm

The mayor of the town was also played Brian's girlfriend. :ssh:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

My mum banned me from watching The Young Ones when I was 12.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Not a Children posted:

lol, that's a human thing, not an American one.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

In certain parts of the country, there's pretty much a constant one-upping contest of who can be the most "Christian." Instead of doing volunteer work or giving to charity though, it's usually over who can consider the most fun things as evil.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Riptor posted:

It's in the same episode everyone's talking about - Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment - where, upon feeling conflicted about watching stolen cable with the rest of the family Lisa sees a vision of them consumed in fire and literally sitting with the devil:

but again this is a depiction of Lisa's conflict with the issue - it's not the show saying "yes this is indeed a deserved punishment".

Yeah, that's the scene. I'll grant that I remember it being much darker than it actually was, but that was definitely the most off-putting Simpsons moment of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Drunken Baker posted:

In 1991 I can't think of a single boy in our school who wasn't watching "Bottom". The Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson living cartoon about two wankers who fight and fart and talk about hard-ons for half an hour every week. Yeah, it was on after the watershed, but we'd all watch it anyway.

bbc 2 was the best on friday nights back then

Bottom, fast show, shooting stars good times for young croc.