Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've talked to my dad exactly once in the last 2 years and he went straight into pro-trump Qanon conspiracy bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Geoj posted:

Wow, all the bad aging parents chat actually makes me feel fortunate that all I have to look forward to is my father becoming increasingly belligerent and eccentric with old age.

To give an example, my 31 year old brother is living with my parents (having just left the army about this time last year) and periodically messages me with stories about his slow slide into insanity. Most recently? Apparently he was throwing a giant tantrum the other night because there was too much ice in the freezer.

He's 63. We're in for an interesting 20 years...

Your dad rules.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

I've talked to my dad exactly once in the last 2 years and he went straight into pro-trump Qanon conspiracy bullshit.

lol this owns

how many canadians are pro-trump q-anon brain worm havers

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

lol this owns

how many canadians are pro-trump q-anon brain worm havers

Way too loving many. Trump has directly hurt his primary source of income, and will continue to do so, but he talks about Hillary as if she has any bearing on anything whatsoever. I'll never have a reason to talk to him again after December, so whatever.

I'm interviewing for a new father, if there are any applicants here let me know.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Way too loving many. Trump has directly hurt his primary source of income, and will continue to do so, but he talks about Hillary as if she has any bearing on anything whatsoever. I'll never have a reason to talk to him again after December, so whatever.

I'm interviewing for a new father, if there are any applicants here let me know.

Can you use your height to change lightbulbs around my house?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can you use your height to change lightbulbs around my house?

Anything under 10 foot.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I mean, isn't it technically true though?
Not saying that he's being sabotaged or whatever conspiracy garbage, but wasn't there some big expose a few months ago about the white house literally working around Trump to keep him from ruining things?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That expose was "leaked" by the white house as part of an attempt to calm people down before the elections. "Don't worry, he may be an idiot but he has no real power." <"person with no power" implements tariffs that cause the largest buyer of soybeans to drop their importation by 94%> Also...wrong thread?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been thinking about this for a few days and Trump's hatred of the media almost makes sense. Because as it stands today, the media can be loving dangerous.

I'm not talking about CNN or Fox News, I'm talking about some douchebag with a Twitter or YT channel, an agenda and an audience. If you have a crowd of rabid followers and you want to hurt someone, you can cause a lot of damage in the name of freedom of the press. I've been seeing a lot of this across the various social media services. There's some ex soldier with 4 million followers teling them it's just fine and dandy to assault people protesting Trump and that people are actually listening to this guy kind of terrifies me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Queen Combat posted:

That expose was "leaked" by the white house as part of an attempt to calm people down before the elections. "Don't worry, he may be an idiot but he has no real power." <"person with no power" implements tariffs that cause the largest buyer of soybeans to drop their importation by 94%> Also...wrong thread?

Woof, there goes the economy of half the midwest. Can't wait to see the spin on that one

Also, we can do political chat here, as long as we ain't shitheads, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Woof, there goes the economy of half the midwest. Can't wait to see the spin on that one

Oh man, I know several farmers that switched from corn to soybeans years ago because the thinking was there would never be a lax in demand for soy. Now everyone is sitting on mountains of them praying they can dump them before they're no good.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Adiabatic posted:

Your dad rules.

It's not so great being on the receiving end. His eccentricities are so bad that my wife and I actually came up with a drinking game for him when he says or does crazy things.

We had to pare it down substantially, otherwise we'd either need liver transplants or would be dead by now.

Top 5:

• Telling you about someone he knows, but you don't, and insisting you do when you tell him otherwise.
  • Follows fad diets loosely (recently stopped a voluntary gluten free diet, during which he frequently consumed non-GF beer) but proselytizes others about it as if their very lives hang in the balance.
  • Has to tell random strangers he encounters in public about whatever book he's reading, what they're doing this week on This Old House or other random tidbits he heard on a radio show, podcast or website that nobody is interested in.
  • Related to the above, he will talk your ear off at length about *whatever* has piqued his interest, then two days later forget he already did and explain the whole thing again. Even after telling him him he already did.
  • Will go to an ethnic restaurant and speaks with the staff in a loose approximation of their native language. This includes going to ethnic restaurants run and staffed entirety by white people - recently he was at some hipster taco and tequila bar and was dropping "hola!" and "gracias!" to the clearly non-Spanish speaking college students. Not entirely certain which version is more embarrassing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Now everyone is sitting on mountains of them praying they can dump them before they're no good.

:smugdon::yeshaha:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If sane polichat is allowed, :siren:Arizona just flipped their senator, from early voting ballots that are being counted right now.:siren:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

You Am I posted:

Yeah my dad never had a plan (outside of the dark humour he had - "I'll keep a bottle of pills near my bed. The day you ask me what they are for and I can't remember, feed me them"), and when Alzheimers hit him hard I had to run around like a headless chook finding a place that would take him and actually care for his needs. It took four places to find the right one.

Yup. Dad went from working six days a week to totally incapacitated by cancer in nine days, and it took forever for my stepmom to get the help she needed to take care of him properly arranged.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Correct

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geoj posted:

It's not so great being on the receiving end. His eccentricities are so bad that my wife and I actually came up with a drinking game for him when he says or does crazy things.

We had to pare it down substantially, otherwise we'd either need liver transplants or would be dead by now.

Top 5:

• Telling you about someone he knows, but you don't, and insisting you do when you tell him otherwise.
  • Follows fad diets loosely (recently stopped a voluntary gluten free diet, during which he frequently consumed non-GF beer) but proselytizes others about it as if their very lives hang in the balance.
  • Has to tell random strangers he encounters in public about whatever book he's reading, what they're doing this week on This Old House or other random tidbits he heard on a radio show, podcast or website that nobody is interested in.
  • Related to the above, he will talk your ear off at length about *whatever* has piqued his interest, then two days later forget he already did and explain the whole thing again. Even after telling him him he already did.
  • Will go to an ethnic restaurant and speaks with the staff in a loose approximation of their native language. This includes going to ethnic restaurants run and staffed entirety by white people - recently he was at some hipster taco and tequila bar and was dropping "hola!" and "gracias!" to the clearly non-Spanish speaking college students. Not entirely certain which version is more embarrassing.

Hahahaha holy gently caress I think I love your dad

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think my headphones are finally dead: (

Their duct tape by weight percentage has crept out throughout the years, but they've carried on being comfortable and capable, but the plastics have just given up :(

I have a big head and big ears (surprise!) and it has always been hard to find headphones that don't cause physical pain, but i think these big comfy bastards are finally dead after probably 10 years :(

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Big ears?

SUPERLUX HD668B. Semi-open so ya don't get sweaty, super durable (removable cable!), good sound (superlux made drivers for the Sennheiser HD 598 and 650 before stepping out onto their own). Only headphones I can wear with my stick-out ears, and my ex who has probably 20 rings in each ear liked them so much that she kept them. Bringing that up, they're only like $40 so no big loss.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're actually not loving ridiculous on Amazon.ca, i might have to give them a shot, thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

If sane polichat is allowed, :siren:Arizona just flipped their senator, from early voting ballots that are being counted right now.:siren:

God drat I hope that holds up, and I say that as someone who voted quite begrudgingly for Sinema... she's not half as progressive as the attack ads claimed, which is a drat shame :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Well I'm probay not quite old enough even at approaching 50 but -

- I'm still stupid fit
- I have sane political opinions
- I may play an rear end in a top hat online but every single person who has met me in person thinks I'm actually quite well spoken and chill in person
- I have a spare room downstairs
- You like Subarus? Well.... yeah I got a few
- I have cats that like being patted

Queen Combat posted:

HAHAHAHAHA wut?

Oh and in good news, the Canadian lady is now on her way to see me. In not so good news HOLY gently caress MY HOUSE IS STILL A GODDAMN MESS AHHHHHHHH gently caress PANIC

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dat feeling when you're driving down a major road, see the F-350 in front of you literally jump, and see a deer carcass come flying out from under it. And your dumbass is following a bit too close to avoid it entirely (but it at least hit the ground first).

Had enough time to swerve enough so that it went under one side of the car. So much fur and blood. :barf:. Yet another crack in the front bumper, but that seems to be the only damage. Ran it through a carwash with an undercarriage wash, and it started raining pretty hard a bit later, I'm hoping that's enough to get the worst of it off of the underside. (oh who the gently caress am I kidding, I know there's plenty of gore awaiting for when it gets tossed on a lift like a ragdoll next week for an oil change and new front quickstruts)

everdave posted:

Thanks STR if you happen to have a groupon link or see one let me know I’ll be there Friday

Get the app, search for deals in the french quarter. :shrug:

meatpimp posted:

To add to what Geog said, manufacturers have done a really good job in rustproofing their vehicles over the last 25 years. Yeah, your suspension components and underbody are going to get lovely to a degree, but nothing like if you were 100 miles North.

This. I have a car that spent 4-5 years in MN, and the only real rust on it is the exhaust (which has been patched together in multiple places, with one section replaced). Suspension has some crunchy fasteners, but I haven't run across anything I couldn't tackle on it yet so long as I had an impact wrench and good sockets (hand tools haven't been able to cut a couple of things).

It's an econobox GM, so that bar is pretty drat low to begin with.

Queen Combat posted:

My dad is 64 and my mom not far behind :ohdear:

Actually, for the past five years or so I've been noticing a marked decrease in the quality of conversations, if that makes sense. I see the early underpinnings of speech patterns and broken trains of thought that I also see with elderly and/or psych patients in the hospital.

Same with my stepdad. He's aged noticeably faster (much faster) than my mother.

He's 2 years younger, but looks significantly older than his age. Granted, she looks young for her age (70 - could pass for 60 so long as you ignore the rabble rabble people under 50 shouldn't be allowed to vote rabble rabble crap), but his constantly loses his train of thought, and stands there with his eyes flicking back and forth saying "uhhhhh" when it happens. He's also gotten much more aggressive.

My dad (almost 72) looks about what you'd expect for someone who's smoked most of his life and was a heavy drinker for years, but he's fit and in excellent health.

Geoj posted:

Most recently? Apparently he was throwing a giant tantrum the other night because there was too much ice in the freezer.

Sounds like my stepdad. And my GF.

nm posted:

I'm so glad my entire family within the first set of cousins and aunt/uncles are progressive on all the social issues. Like other stuff, maybe we can disagree, but if you actively hate gay/trans/brown/etc people, I can't deal with you.
We got some folks beyond that level who aren't so understanding, so our whole family severed. That would be harder to do if they weren't like 2nd cousins.

My dad's side is awesome - my dad's the one self-described republican in the family, but I'd consider him more of a slightly right leaning centrist. Doesn't vote based on party, listens to NPR, refuses to discuss politics and religion in general, pro LGBT.

My mom's older brother is anti-LGBT, and even more conservative than she is. Her older sister (and said sister's husband) bleed blue. Mom is rabidly conservative.

Stepdad's family? East Texas ranchers from a tiny, tiny town, should say it all. I have a gay step-cousin who's all but been ousted from the family.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Okay, I m genuinely concerned about the freezer with too much ice in it.

Are we talking about a build-up of ice, rather than ice cubes?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I got a text at 1:30 in the morning informing me that they were taking my dad to the ER by ambulance because he couldn't breathe.

loving hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:glomp:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man, so sorry dude :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CornHolio posted:

Well I got a text at 1:30 in the morning informing me that they were taking my dad to the ER by ambulance because he couldn't breathe.

loving hell.

So sorry man.

I'm worried my dads heading that way - 83, smoked all his life, COPD, and just got diagnosed with lung cancer. We're waiting to find out what exact kind and treatment options, but I have a feeling He won't make it to 84.
Sucks.

Rant as needed if you need support man, AI may be full of assholes, but we're nice assholes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Siochain posted:

So sorry man.

I'm worried my dads heading that way - 83, smoked all his life, COPD, and just got diagnosed with lung cancer. We're waiting to find out what exact kind and treatment options, but I have a feeling He won't make it to 84.
Sucks.

Rant as needed if you need support man, AI may be full of assholes, but we're nice assholes.

Oof, that sucks. Pretty good age to make it to, though. I have a grandfather that will be 90 in February and my grandmother is in her mid-eighties, neither have any serious health issues yet but they both know they're probably on borrowed time. I'm pretty sure it's nothing but hate keeping my grandpa together - he still hasn't forgiven "the Japs" for Pearl Harbor and thinks we should line 'the illegals' up and shoot them all.

Believe me I will rant because I don't have any other good place to talk about it. poo poo sucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lots of sad stuff in here. Cheer up, or beer up goons. :hf:

Geoj posted:

My dad has always done this, but he's getting older and it seems worse. It drives my wife bat poo poo crazy when we see him. :lol:

Heading to see my Mom (and potentially my brother if he's not loving off doing god knows what). Not looking forward to a 5-6 hour drive with a 1 year old, but this is our one trip this year we're doing down to my home town. I don't particularly like going back there since I don't have any friends still there and try to limit exposure to my crazy family. They don't come visit me so if I don't go, I'd never see them. So at least it's on my terms I guess?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Not looking forward to a 5-6 hour drive with a 1 year old,

I did a few of these when mine was that age or around it. If you can get them to sleep, no problem.

If not... big big big problem :pwn:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

Not looking forward to a 5-6 hour drive with a 1 year old

Screens in the headrest. Best thing we could have done was bought a Volvo XC90 with rear seat entertainment when my girl was a newborn. I heard way too many kid's shows while driving, but it kept the kids quiet. And quiet is better.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

meatpimp posted:

Screens in the headrest. Best thing we could have done was bought a Volvo XC90 with rear seat entertainment when my girl was a newborn. I heard way too many kid's shows while driving, but it kept the kids quiet. And quiet is better.

Gotta be backwards facing at that age. Best is if you can get yourself or mom next to him in the backseat.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My parents drive my nephews around a good bit, so I bought them a two-screen DVD setup for the headrests of their car. Each can play its own DVD, or they can be hooked up together to play the same thing. Their old Escape had it but Ford wanted, like, $1200 for the option on the new one so they deferred; this was a looooot cheaper and works great.

edit: And you could strap it on for rear-facing seats, too, though obviously the push is for less screen time at those ages.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr-Spain posted:

Gotta be backwards facing at that age. Best is if you can get yourself or mom next to him in the backseat.

This, and we're trying to avoid screen time as much as possible at this point. I have football playing on the TV on Saturdays, but otherwise we try to avoid having our phones out/TV/tablets around when she's awake. At some point it'll probably be the easy button to get them to stop but we're trying to avoid it for a bit.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I did a few of these when mine was that age or around it. If you can get them to sleep, no problem.

If not... big big big problem :pwn:

We drove 4 hours back from Chicago and she wouldn't sleep. Cried almost the whole way and finally fell asleep about 40 minutes from home. :suicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

Okay, I m genuinely concerned about the freezer with too much ice in it.

Are we talking about a build-up of ice, rather than ice cubes?

Here's the conversation:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

Here's the conversation:

That's amazing, almost to the point of deserving his own thread levels of amazing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Geoj posted:

Here's the conversation:

So, two grown men share a house and a freezer.
Each enjoys ice, but refuses to use ice from the other's ice-tray and so they insist on having their own, personal ice-trays that the other cannot use.
There are so many ice trays in the freezer, that you can't get one person's trays out without removing the other's first.
This is causing distress and conflict that threatens to engulf the whole family.

Is that a fair summary?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Currently four people living in their house, my parents and my brother & sister.

Everyone but my dad uses normal, non-freezer funk ice cube trays so his inevitably get cycled to the bottom of the stack, and as my brother stated "the level of upset he gets at the littlest things is incredible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ballpark cost / difficulty throwing twin turbos on a 2jz?

• Locked thread