Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure they would have done it with WW had they not felt some pressure from fans to return to a more "realistic" art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

WW was my favorite visual style after the SNES era until BOTW :shobon:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

didn’t WW and TP use the same engine (despite the art style)? I feel like i heard that once

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

b_d posted:

didn’t WW and TP use the same engine (despite the art style)? I feel like i heard that once

they essentially did but apparently it was so heavily modified that it was basically a new engine

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SS and TP however, are very obviously on the same engine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Since Nintendo's engines are proprietary, they don't necessarily need to be as modular/portable/flexible as a third-party engine needs to be. So in the case of WW/TP, "the same engine" can still involve a ton of specific tailoring to the game's needs, and is a bit different from another dev saying "we made both these games in Unreal".

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm down with a new MM game

Link/Lulu forever

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kninda wish most games had the 64/MM (or Metroid Prime) cycle where the 1st game is us doing everything we can do make a great product, the 2nd game is us futzing around with the formula but great games none the less!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm predicting (hoping) Nintendo does that with Switch games since it's so popular.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kninda wish most games had the 64/MM (or Metroid Prime) cycle where the 1st game is us doing everything we can do make a great product, the 2nd game is us futzing around with the formula but great games none the less!

Add Super Mario Galaxy to that. The second one was done in 3 years and was great.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wouldn't we know about it already if there were a quick sequel on the horizon

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

indigi posted:

wouldn't we know about it already if there were a quick sequel on the horizon

Not necessarily. There's lots of amazing titles coming out and Nintendo wouldn't want to distract from those. They've said they are working on the next Zelda game, but that's it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Link's Awakening with the BOTW engine, TYVM

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Link's Awakening with the BOTW engine, TYVM

LA, OoS, OoA all as one game with the BotW engine where you can move between regions at your whim like they were the Zoras, Goron’s, etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mastajake posted:

LA, OoS, OoA all as one game with the BotW engine where you can move between regions at your whim like they were the Zoras, Goron’s, etc.

Stop, stop. I can only get so erect.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what about

a new game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/gonintendotweet/status/1060947201239728129?s=21

Sounds like there may actually be more DLC for BOTW.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shut up and take my Rupees, Nintendo

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Motto posted:

what about

a new game

Yes, please. I want MM in the BOTW engine, in the figurative sense. MM followed the continuity of OoT but wasn't the same kind of story at all and didn't involve Zelda or Ganon or "go get the Triforce". So yeah, use the same mechanics, add a couple of new ones, and just do a completely unrelated story in a land outside of Hyrule.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hello I've just started playing this game, after never having played another Zelda game, and Im thoroughly confused.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good, you are doing it right. Don’t read any guides. Don’t read this thread. Post your impressions as you go along and also post videos and photos of occasional wild poo poo you do or see

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The game is about exploration and discovery. Don’t worry about weapons breaking, and go see what’s over that hill!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do turn off the minimap tho

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hello I've just started playing this game, after never having played another Zelda game, and Im thoroughly confused.

for what it's worth, familiarity with zelda games probably wouldn't make you any less confused

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not a min maxxer, but I'm worried I'll just do the main quest line and miss a bunch of cool stuff. Also will my horse always find me when I whistle?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm not a min maxxer, but I'm worried I'll just do the main quest line and miss a bunch of cool stuff. Also will my horse always find me when I whistle?

The horse needs to able able to hear you whistle. The guy at the stable can warp the horse to you.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I do not think it is actually possible to miss anything by progressing. Just wander around there are no time limits on much of anything so you can get lost and come back to whatever you were doing all the time, it can be argued that is the best way to play.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MadHat posted:

I do not think it is actually possible to miss anything by progressing. Just wander around there are no time limits on much of anything so you can get lost and come back to whatever you were doing all the time, it can be argued that is the best way to play.

There are a very small number of weapons you can miss accidentally by progressing. That said, the weapons that replace them are superior and there is nothing that is gated by you not acquiring those weapons.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Don’t worry, the main quest pulls you to a lot of the map. But if you see some cool poo poo in the distance just beeline for it! The main quest isn’t going anywhere.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 10, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you wish to feel less lost or overwhelmed, this very gentle and non-plot-spoiling advice will help you: follow the main questline until you get the camera before doing much wandering around.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was pretty serious about turning off the minimap, especially now since you're worried that you'll end up beelining main objectives; turning it off will definitely help you get into the explorey mindset.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

turn off the minimap and never fast travel

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

If you wish to feel less lost or overwhelmed, this very gentle and non-plot-spoiling advice will help you: follow the main questline until you get the camera before doing much wandering around.

I agree with this. not that you can't wander around at all, just I wouldn't put off the main quest entirely until after this point. and ideally you get the sheikah sensor +, which I think you can do immediately after you get the camera.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My shiekah slate is still broken but I've just made it to hateno village.

What's fast travel though?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

you can click on any shrines/towers you've visited on the map and warp there. never doing that seems like a pain in the rear end to me but some people swear by it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You can warp to any shrine you've activated

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

You can warp to any shrine you've activated

+towers
+a couple other special locations

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

New game in the BotW engine only with Linkle from Hyrule Warriors. There is no map, maps interrupt Linkle's precious "blowing everything away with crossbows and cuccos" time.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

canonically linkle uses a map frequently but goes in the wrong direction regardless. I don’t think this quality is vital to her character but it is quite prominent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Linkle could never work in a game like Breath of the Wild, because she always goes the wrong way, but there is no wrong way in Breath of the Wild.