Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

The G5+ camera app never crashed for me until the update it got in august where it got a different layout, got youtube live integration and suddenly felt the need to show me the tutorial again. And now it does regularly. I'm absolutely convinced they just borked the app and any other camera app available shouldn't be affected.

This doesn't preclude the G5+ camera being a slow rear end piece of poo poo. That has been the case since forever.

Just got the 8.1 update on it yesterday by searching for updates. Plus security updates up to august.

Holy moley you're my new internet friend I got 8.1 queued up as well just waiting for me to check it. Not gonna do that at work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In non-buggy camera news, the Android 9 update for the Nokia 6.1 seems to have fixed all my issues, including with Bluetooth! More testing required to be totally sure, but I see it's now about $200, I would recommend it to anyone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Yeah. Amazon-subsidized 4GB/64GB Moto G5+ here that just was offered the 8.1 update. I'll be jumping off that cliff tonight.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Not sure if it came with the update, but Moto Actions in the Moto app now has media control with the vol up/down buttons and some screenshot taking related garbage that sure wasn't there when I set up the phone initially a year or more ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm annoyed that Google always changes all the notification sounds in each version though. I miss the sounds from I think it was ice cream sandwich. Whichever version was running on the GNex.

This may be the sound that you are looking for:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/06rtoforre596in/F1_New_MMS.ogg?dl=0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Uthor posted:

This may be the sound that you are looking for:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/06rtoforre596in/F1_New_MMS.ogg?dl=0

It was actually the Tejat sound from I forget which version of Android. I ended up googling around trying to find old android sounds and found this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910180

There's a zip file linked in there that has a bunch of old android as well as Samsung, HTC, and sony sounds.

Edit: lol my g5+ wants to finally update to oreo. I've been using it as an alarm because I'm used to it and I don't want to risk a new alarm sound during the week.

Also, seems like Tejat is in 7.0 because I was using it for a friend's text there. It's the same sound as Argon in this pack, so I guess it was called Argon in previous versions.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 8, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got around to trying the USB C pixel buds that come with the 3 XL and am impressed. I hated the wireless ones - they were too big, heavy and uncomfortable with a lovely touch controls - but these ones are smaller and better shaped for my ear canal. Voice commands are perfect. Sound isn't amazing but good enough.

Having a big cord coming out of the bottom sucks though, makes the phone hard to hold. But I guess the top headphone jack days are long gone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
is the November update taking forever to install for anyone else? P2XL

it's been stuck here for like 10 minutes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they don't sound super fantastic in an absolute sense, but they are perfectly serviceable for open ear buds. I use them when I don't want isolation from my environment. Including both those and the adapter jack was a good move on Google's part.

On the subject of adapters, the iPad pro needing one now is a boon for everyone. The official adapter is cheaper than Google's at $9.00, and available everywhere after the Pro launch. Word is it works perfectly fine with the Pixels.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

strap on revenge posted:

I think the Android 9 update process does a ton more poo poo in the background so that when you reboot its ready to go quickly. Give it time.

Specifically, I think the bytecode optimization happens during update and in the background rather than on first application launch or first boot (both previous systems). It takes 'longer' but is less interrupting for the user.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ordered new OnePlus 6T

Inevitable hate post coming eventually, but I'm tired of my stale Z2 Force. Lenovo have let wither any hope of updates.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Holy moley you're my new internet friend I got 8.1 queued up as well just waiting for me to check it. Not gonna do that at work though.

...well I'll be damned.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

On my regular Pixel 2, it took about thirty seconds from me hitting the update button on the notification to the phone finishing rebooting.

It may very well have done something in the background that I didn't see.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mine took maybe a minute or two.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

myron cope posted:

Yes I like the gestures too. I really like the one to go back to the previous app. I don't mind the swipe up for the app drawer one. I can see what people mean by saying the icons shouldnt be there though, that would be nice to get that section of screen back.

The one "gripe" I had (if it can even be called that) is because of how smooth the Pixel 3's screen is, I was initially scrolling too fast when switching between apps. Had to adjust to making a small flick with my fingertip instead of a big swipe.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
it got there eventually, just took a bit longer than usual. I was hoping it'd magically fix my USB C issues but it did not

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://9to5google.com/2018/11/08/psa-broken-google-pixel-3-repair/

excerpt posted:

The Google Store Repair Center page was our first destination, but as of this writing, it doesn’t claim to offer Pixel 3 or 3 XL repairs. Not a good sign. Faced with this, we immediately contacted Google Store Support to find out what to do next. After being given the full runaround, they finally passed us off, saying to contact uBreakiFix.

At the time, Google’s official out-of-warranty repair support page didn’t list any repair facilities for the Pixel 3, but since, uBreakiFix has been added to the list. They’ve long been partnered with Google, offering same-day repairs for the original Pixel and Pixel 2 phones. We have a nearby location in New Orleans, so that was the next destination.

We booked a repair appointment online and headed out. Before we arrived, the uBreakiFix store called to inform us that they do not yet offer same-day service, but would still need to assess the damage. After the assessment, they gave us a price of $110 and a promise to call us when the parts were in, likely within two weeks.

Today, three days later, we were instead greeted by a call informing us that uBreakiFix has no idea when the necessary parts will come in. The only Pixel 3 part they could get their hands on is the battery.

Long story short: Google isn’t fixing broken Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL units itself quite yet, and is instead sending people off to uBreakiFix. Our local uBreakiFix is currently out of stock and not even expecting to get repair components — except the battery — for the Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL for the foreseeable future. That means that my wife’s new phone is currently damaged without recourse. (If you live in San Francisco, you can check with Puls, however).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Holy poo poo guys :stare: Has anyone ever had their Pixel 2 just freeze up and then die? I was in Snapchat and got a phone call and right as the phone rang, the phone froze and emitted a loud rear end loving buzz from the speakers. I didn't know what to do so I just held the power button the whole time and the phone when black. Tried to turn it on - nothing. Waited a few minutes and tried to turn it on - nothing. Waited a little while LONGER, tried to turn it on, and now it's booted up and back working again. I'm used to being able to pull the battery on my old phones and so when this happened it was terrifying just sitting there

I think I should be concerned?? Maybe it's time to contact support...

EDIT: Found a thread in the support forums and I guess the consensus is it's just an audio glitch caused by the OS crash and usually happens when using apps that use the camera. It was loud as gently caress

barnold fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2018

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Has anybody else's phone started downloading app updates AFTER you unplug it, rather than while it's charging?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not sure if this is the same problem but someone on another forum mentioned that post-November update their Pixel 3 has been waiting until they were OFF wifi to download updates which is uhhhhh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has anybody else's phone started downloading app updates AFTER you unplug it, rather than while it's charging?

I know Doze isn't supposed to be in effect under charge but I find the phone obviously delays notifications and activities while it sits plugged in. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Play Store, like everything else, doesn't check for updates until the device is moved and awakened.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
My Nokia 6.1 just got the pie update and... I don't think I like it...

I can't change ringer volume from anywhere anymore, unless I'm missing something, and the new time location is tricking my eyes into thinking I have a new notification all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

I know Doze isn't supposed to be in effect under charge but I find the phone obviously delays notifications and activities while it sits plugged in. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Play Store, like everything else, doesn't check for updates until the device is moved and awakened.

Yeah, but I don't know about you, but my phone starts downloading updates the instant it's put on the charger, before it even has time to doze.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but I don't know about you, but my phone starts downloading updates the instant it's put on the charger, before it even has time to doze.

I have this block of time every morning just before I leave work where I have nothing to do and I always check for updates and update my apps. Since that happens only a couple hours before I put it on the charger I'd never see it.

Weirdly if I forget to check for updates on a given morning I feel like I get a notification about there being updates shortly after I get home as though the device knows when I usually update. This has persisted for years and through many different devices but I've never actually tested to see if it's true or just a feeling I have.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Martian Manfucker posted:

My Nokia 6.1 just got the pie update and... I don't think I like it...

I can't change ringer volume from anywhere anymore, unless I'm missing something, and the new time location is tricking my eyes into thinking I have a new notification all the time.

I STILL hit the volume buttons to change notification volume and get annoyed that it's not getting quieter.

If you hit the buttons, you can tap the gear icon that pops up on the screen to go to the sound menu and adjust volume there. It's awful.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
On Galaxies you can choose what the volume buttons default to and I have no doubt Pixels will adopt this in a future revision.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I liked the smart volume in Oreo. Something playing? Adjust volume. Nothing playing? Adjust notifications. Wanna adjust notifications while something is playing? Expand the pop up to show sliders for everything. No need to ever enter menus.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I dunno, I always keep my phone on vibrate and sometimes in DND, however I find myself often adjusting music or video volume, so the new way looks better to me :shrug:

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Just checking in to say that I love my Pixel 3 after having it since the 23rd of last month, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. Coming from the OG Pixel, this thing is a significant upgrade. The battery life is about on par with my OG Pixel when it was brand new, the screen is way better, and the camera is just awesome. It's fast and responsive, too.

If you're on the fence about buying a Pixel, I say do it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sneeze Party posted:

If you're on the fence about buying a Pixel, I say do it.

Concur (more or less). I picked up a 3 XL to replace my V20 and...yeah. Everything is just so much smoother, and the screen seems noticeably sharper and clearer, despite being effectively the same resolution. Pie is taking a little getting used to (having been stuck on Nougat for so long), and I had to jump over to the Nova launcher because Pie's adaptive icons look like poo poo on a lot of apps still, but overall it's a pretty noticeable upgrade. Battery life on the XL is hilariously better than the V20, since despite its removable battery, I was still using the original ~2yr old one.

I'm sad that the Pixel doesn't support SD cards, and 6GB RAM would have made me feel better about tying myself to this for the next two years, but I'm willing to let those slide in exchange for a phone that is so much nicer to use as a daily driver.

I kinda wanted to see a 6T to compare, but the BOGO promotion from Verizon made the Pixel cheaper than the OnePlus, so there ended up not being much of a reason to.

e; honestly, my one big complaint so far is that Messenger just isn't as good as Textra, but web-linking Messenger is so nice. I'd really like Android to open up their web-linking API or whatnot so that other text applications can hook into it, but I have no idea how technically feasible that actually is.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 9, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

I dunno, I always keep my phone on vibrate and sometimes in DND, however I find myself often adjusting music or video volume, so the new way looks better to me :shrug:

Yeah, I think there are just two different groups. Like you, I always have phone on silent, so always want to adjust media volume. It was super annoying for me to have to wait til something was potentially blaring loudly to be able to silence media volume. But other people use the ringer and want to adjust its volume easily.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not sure if it's been asked before but, is there any way to make the volume buttons actually up/down notification volume and NOT multimedia when I'm at home screen? Nokia 7 Plus on 9.0 and I find this change loving annoying that I need to go to the settings for this since it always default to multimedia.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

See, that's the way it always was, but all this week, it's held off on downloading app updates until I unplug it in the morning. Maybe I just need to reboot it. I also haven't gotten the November update yet (Pixel XL) despite mashing the Check button this morning.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I am getting so frustrated with the headphone dongle experience with my Pixel 3, mostly because it keeps kicking in and out when I lock or unlock the screen, I have to unplug it to take phone calls because the OS thinks it's a wired headset (which Google keeps prompting me in notifications I can't disable to turn on extra functionality with OK Google and other stuff in wired headsets) and it crashing the phone and causing it to restart every couple of days when inserted. Aggggh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've never actually changed the volume of my notifications aside from when muting it. So having the volume do media and having a button there to go to vibrate/silence for notifications is great for me.

gourdcaptain posted:

I am getting so frustrated with the headphone dongle experience with my Pixel 3, mostly because it keeps kicking in and out when I lock or unlock the screen, I have to unplug it to take phone calls because the OS thinks it's a wired headset (which Google keeps prompting me in notifications I can't disable to turn on extra functionality with OK Google and other stuff in wired headsets) and it crashing the phone and causing it to restart every couple of days when inserted. Aggggh.

I do wish there was a way to have it never ask again for things like that. Whenever I plug in the dongle, there's a popup for some app asking to use it, I don't want the app to use it. The only option is to let the app use it, always let the app use it, or cancel. Why is there "don't show me this ever again" option?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If anyone cared, here's the Note 9 vs. OP6T camera.

Note 9:

Oneplus 6T:

I got the T-Mobile version 'cause I work there, and apparently the Pixel camera port doesn't work for it yet. Hope that's fixed soon, but this thing takes pretty good shots as it is. Definitely noisier on the 6T, but that's not a huge problem unless you zoom in stupid far, at which point the Note has issues too.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Don't know why people aren't excited for folding phones. There's so many extra thing you could do with one over just a bezel-less rigid phone. A regular phone sized device folds to half the size in your pocket. Tablet size phone is everything a tablet is on the move but properly portable. Maybe people forgot how useful tabs can be now they're taken for granted?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I need to go to PetSmart and get cat pics or something since I don't have a cat to show how nice the Pixel 2 XL camera is. :v:

I did test the Pixel 2 vs Pixel 3 camera and they're both pretty big nice.

The vibration on my 2 XL was as good as the one on the 3 XL but I guess that's luck of the draw? Like they both felt the exact same to me. The Nexus 6 vibration though (I use that as music / podcasts for the car so I had it with me to test too)...that was awful.

Why the hell are the Pixel 2 and 3 XLs so tall? The 6 has more information on the screen because it's fatter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The vibration on my 2 XL was as good as the one on the 3 XL but I guess that's luck of the draw? Like they both felt the exact same to me.

Wow, you did get lucky on the 2XL. The 3XL's vibration is a thousand times better than my 2XL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Don't know why people aren't excited for folding phones. There's so many extra thing you could do with one over just a bezel-less rigid phone. A regular phone sized device folds to half the size in your pocket. Tablet size phone is everything a tablet is on the move but properly portable. Maybe people forgot how useful tabs can be now they're taken for granted?

Maybe because these early models have severe compromises due to being proof of concept and there's no reason to be excited. Most apps don't even scale properly to tablet sizes in the first place, devs just don't bother.