Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hutzpah posted:

Why are you talking about Trump. Clearly this is the thread to talk about how no one can be an ally if they have a dollar in their pocket. Bring back the trump thread.

Be the change you seek in the thread!

If discussion of wealth and its corrupting effects on our politicians is boring you, post something more entertaining to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is what I don't get. It's like they don't think they can die.

American culture and individualism teaches people that the most powerful people subject others to their will. We idolize powerful leaders and conquerors, and we sell fantasy movies, games and books about one individual who changes everything. Rich people want to change the world in their image and will relentlessly gently caress with society to be “the one” that makes poo poo better.

Also we have a huge, huge chip on our shoulders about slavery and there are a lot of rich “self made” (lol) folks who are apparently very bitter that it’s illegal. So, let’s take your average employee, strip them of collective bargaining rights, tie their healthcare to their boss’s satisfaction, and cut all social safety nets. Now let’s see them try to escape.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

They'll never stop winning because they'll never stop being willing to debase themselves like this. There's a future SCOTUS justice in that crowd of chanting chuds.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

They'll never stop winning because they'll never stop being willing to debase themselves like this. There's a future SCOTUS justice in that crowd of chanting chuds.

Oh, come on, now! They're not that drunk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

it's the same crowd who threw tomatoes at ruby bridges. They can lose.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's a big reason it's immoral!

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to affect change, work your rear end off to try to become rich.

Then you can start funding progressive causes and actually help people at large scale.

In other words, you may have to act immorally to do good! :galaxybrain:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is why just voting isn't enough. We need counterprotesters to get the gently caress out there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Groovelord Neato posted:

when hank paulson got his job as treasury secretary he got to collect 400 million bucks tax free. what a country!

I mean, the rule that lead to that is actually a good thing.

He got it tax free because they require you to completely divest yourself from your investments. The tax free part is just to lessen the blow if you are forced to sell off your retirement fund during a down market.

I don't think a scenario where the Treasury Secretary has active investments in U.S. stocks has well-structured incentives.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TheScott2K posted:

That's not hard, though, since in 2042 the Republican Hypercongress will amend the Judiciary Act to establish that the Supreme Court shall consist of the population of Florida.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

leon why are you allowed to post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If Gillum does actually get the win he’s going to need intense security pretty much 24/7 cause Trump will go full blast saying he stole the election through some seedy action and it’ll spur some of his base to violence just like the bomb mailer and the synagogue shooter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

enraged_camel posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to affect change, work your rear end off to try to become rich.

Then you can start funding progressive causes and actually help people at large scale.

In other words, you may have to act immorally to do good! :galaxybrain:

Ah, an Effective Altruist

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That crowd didn't lose, segregation in the South is alive and well

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Majorian posted:

This is why just voting isn't enough. We need counterprotesters to get the gently caress out there.

Democrats are at work right now. Only lazy welfare Republicans can protest during a work week.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hutzpah posted:

Why are you talking about Trump. Clearly this is the thread to talk about how no one can be an ally if they have a dollar in their pocket. Bring back the trump thread.

there's a big difference between someone having a dollar in their pocket and someone having 10 million of them

the rich aren't our friends

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If Gillum does actually get the win he’s going to need intense security pretty much 24/7 cause Trump will go full blast saying he stole the election through some seedy action and it’ll spur some of his base to violence just like the bomb mailer and the synagogue shooter

These reanimated hate monsters will have a new outrage in a week.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why are the obsessed with Gillum right now? He's not catching up regardless I thought, only Nelson has a chance

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Groovelord Neato posted:

What do you think would be improved by allowing the Treasury Secretary to actively invest in stocks while acting as Treasury Secretary?

That would be a bad situation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Why are the obsessed with Gillum right now? He's not catching up regardless I thought, only Nelson has a chance

why do you think

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

What a great Florida accent she has.

Get the gently caress out of this state and go back to whatever rustbelt shithole you ruined.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i disagree. reps and senators make a good amount of money, they're making over 100k and i think it's over 200k. where the real problem comes in is that being a house candidate or a senate candidate is an unpaid, full-time job that has a good chance of ending in failure and has no big monetary payoff to make up for that lost income. i don't actually know how to fix that, but AOC was writing something about it recently, how she basically has had to live on her savings from when she started running and will need to continue doing so until she starts getting a Rep paycheck and it's actually sort of hard.

This is a very good point. I think when conceptualizing these problems the most important thing is looking at barriers to entry. We want to make things like running for office accessible, so that we aren't filtering out the working class before they ever have a hope of assuming political power.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He’s black.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

That crowd didn't lose, segregation in the South is alive and well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Bridges

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That infographic about Cruz voters pissed off exactly the kinfolk I expected it to. So good.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

You'd think my anger at this cursed image would wear off with time and exposure, but nope!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gillum is within the margin to get a recount, and can hope to win through that. Nelson's the only one I think who has a chance to get a lead heading into the recount. But I still have no real insight into the number of uncounted votes, which is the key variable here (and it seems like Republicans don't either).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Groovelord Neato posted:

what makes these ghouls so alien to me is why not just live a life of luxury. you're worth hundreds of millions of dollars. go enjoy it. why gently caress everything up for the rest of us. jesus christ.

You're not wrong, but I think the adaptability of humans is a double-edged sword here. We have an amazing ability to establish a "new normal." On one hand this helps us survive hardships. On the other hand it seems to always keep us at least a little bit dissatisfied. Once something becomes normal, you want more than that.

The best antidote for this is to step out of your house and interact with people different from you, which most people don't bother to do, unless they have no choice (as you'd imagine, the less money you have, the less choice you have).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Only if you include her marital assets.

The congressional financial disclosure forms say that Bernie's net worth is a little over $2 million and Pelosi's is a little over $5 million.

But, the point was that net worth is a weird measure to use. Under that definition FDR, Bernie Sanders, and Huey Long were all more hostile to the working class than 99% of other people.

oh right i knew i was forgetting a top-tier possible candidate

Reanimated Corpse Of Huey Long 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why is this man allowed to be in congress

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1060949315957481473

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crow Jane posted:

You'd think my anger at this cursed image would wear off with time and exposure, but nope!

it really is just the absolute worst.

jesus christ his profile picture.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I want to say that they are so enamored with DeSantis’s ideas that they’re out there in genuine fear of what Gillum will do as governor.

I know it’s because he’s black and the GOP assholes don’t like that.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I mean, the rule that lead to that is actually a good thing.

He got it tax free because they require you to completely divest yourself from your investments. The tax free part is just to lessen the blow if you are forced to sell off your retirement fund during a down market.

I don't think a scenario where the Treasury Secretary has active investments in U.S. stocks has well-structured incentives.

The tax free component must be capped. Its a straight forward tax dodge in its current form.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deified Data posted:

wait why is there a turkey in spencer's name now

we can not let them have the noble turkey bird

the second greatest failure in the country's founding, after the whole 3/5ths and slavery thing, was not making the turkey the national bird

Ben Franklin Was Right

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

So, is someone gonna tell me how rich you can be before you are an automatically untrustworthy? Is it 5 mil? 10 mil?

guillotine everyone with positive net worth

Majorian posted:

Whether or not they're "untrustworthy" isn't the question you should be asking. The question is whether or not their wealth/their source of wealth impacts how they vote on important issues like regulating Wall Street or Silicon Valley.

don't you dare bring reasonableness into this

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

jesus christ his profile picture.

The only people missing from his picture are Bill Cosby and Roy Moore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd love to be a rep or senator but only to talk poo poo to these people's faces.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wasn't there an article recently claiming Trump is trying to divide the Democrats based on Pelosi being speaker?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

guillotine everyone

This is the only solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

leon makes cogent arguments which lead to interesting discussion. I may not always agree with him, but most importantly he's not boring. And being boring is the worst thing a poster can be.