Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

The Democrats are so spineless they won't even fight for the votes they earned, and will let the republicans ran rampant and constantly rig every election. lol, that's how we got president bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

JUST two would be amazing considering how the map looked. For the umpteenth time, the 2020 Senate map is WAY more D friendly. Now they need a good candidate to make sure they drive the right turnout again.

God it shouldn't amaze me I guess that FL hasn't become any less of an electoral joke in 18 years but GOD...they couldn't be even a LITTLE less of a joke than this poo poo was in eighteen loving years?

Kale
May 14, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Guys, I think Acosta assaulted the intern. Video proof:

https://twitter.com/jtstorm62/status/1060966400737599489

This is some Mel Brooks or Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker tier poo poo right here. :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 10, 2018

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Z. Autobahn posted:

Just so I'm understanding right, the position now is pro-voter-disenfranchisement so long as it's THEIR voters?

Yes, since the Republicans have lowered the bar to this level. Unfortunately, in order to win, we will have to gently caress this chicken.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So I gather it is too much to hope we'll know AZ Senate winner tonight or even the weekend

sounds like it might take until the 14th unless a mathematically overwhelming lead happens

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ratbert90 posted:

I don't know why but this made me think of this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I suppose, but they seem to actually have a decent track record of contesting state level recounts and stuff like this legally. I don’t think it’s comparable to Bush v. Gore at any rate.

for people curious, Marc Elias is managing all these recounts and is a really famous (and apparently still undefeated in Supreme Court cases he's argued) lawyer that's run a lot of long recount battles for the democratic party over the last few years

his twitter is also surprisingly informative and he's updating about recount-related stuff pretty regularly

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1061034562900451328

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sounds like it might take until the 14th unless a mathematically overwhelming lead happens

Yeah, and I’m not even sure they’ll give an update after today’s 5 pm local time update, until Monday.

If either opens a large enough lead, then yeah, but McSally is already taking about a legal challenge.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Literally same

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
I don't know if y'all are serious or not but you need to gently caress off with this 'disenfranchise republican voters' poo poo. There are a million different ways that we can play dirtier than we do now, this ain't it fam

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Because this thread moves way too fast, here's a Cat Tax I owe you all. Whisky affectionados should appreciate this one.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So I gather it is too much to hope we'll know AZ Senate winner tonight or even the weekend

About that

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1061030428453285890

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

JUST two would be amazing considering how the map looked. For the umpteenth time, the 2020 Senate map is WAY more D friendly. Now they need a good candidate to make sure they drive the right turnout again.

yeah, it was what... 4 or 5 lost seats on tuesday night?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Still seems highly unlikely McSally can make up those votes with what's out there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haha everyone hates this guy, so long as they are not required to say on the record that they hate him

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1061033180088553472

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Same here. :laffo:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

They also banned Antifa groups, because of course they did.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arturo Ui posted:

I don't know if y'all are serious or not but you need to gently caress off with this 'disenfranchise republican voters' poo poo. There are a million different ways that we can play dirtier than we do now, this ain't it fam

Basically too much trying to construct a preferred narrative, not enough actual commenting on the news much like....the news. I'm pretty sure people are just shitposting and not actually serious though, much like Chris Cilliza.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/09/politics/trump-cohen-payments-women/index.html

And now your Friday night bomb drop. Cohen officially testifying that Trump ordered him to make the payment of hush money and violated campaign finance laws. So that thing you heard on the tape that sounded like Cohen consulting with Trump and Trump giving the go ahead to pay some people cash to STFU, that's really what happened. Shocking I know.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2018

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niwrad posted:

Still seems highly unlikely McSally can make up those votes with what's out there.

Well, a lot of talk was that Maricopa counted the same-day dropped off mail in ballots and few days leading up, first, which favored Sinema. They’re now counting the earlier days which the GOP thinks will favor McSally more.

It’s honestly going to be close. I think the earliest mail-in ballots get counted leading up to it, so I’m hoping it’s close to the 50:50 it’s been going with a slight break for Sinema.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

enraged_camel posted:

yeah, it was what... 4 or 5 lost seats on tuesday night?

The more paranoid fears was 6 but I mean the ones that flipped D to R weren't surprises, right? Heitkamp and McCaskill never had a prayer, Beto was a long shot at best and Nelson has the charisma of a jar of off-brand mayonnaise. If NV and AZ flip with tester hanging on that's as well as most realistically optimistic forecasts had the Dems doing anyway.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

eke out posted:

haha everyone hates this guy, so long as they are not required to say on the record that they hate him

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1061033180088553472
God, I hope this brings back the "mysterious package at the WaPo steps every 24 hours" sort of stories like when Comey was fired but before Mueller was assigned.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

Just so I'm understanding right, the position now is pro-voter-disenfranchisement so long as it's THEIR voters?
Just trying to keep up with the GOP.

The position is "change the rules of the game, but also win the game."

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

Democrats got everything they wanted from that ruling and y'all are melting down because they didn't try "don't count their votes just ours, your honor" on a judge jfc

E: how am I the one defending something the Democrats did itt
To be clear none of my posts on this are meant to be attacking the Democrats on this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If you can be too young to vote, you can be too old to vote.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone give me a tldr of what is going on in florida? I sorta checked out since tuesday to avoid a stomach ulcer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

Looking at the 2020 map, the Democrats should be able to flip Colorado easily. North Carolina, Montana, Alaska, Arizona, and Maine should be races that Democrats have a decent chance in. Maybe even Georgia if they can keep the momentum.

Doug Jones in Alabama seems like the only Democrat that would be in danger.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Dems did well enough for me to turn away from "lol @ Dems" nihilism. I know it's kind of hosed up that this hinged on them doing adequately but just being honest here.

The most effective pragmatic solution to stall Trumps bullshit is to vote Dem, not kooky Green people

Still making fun of centrism / triangulation though, in this era it is appropriate

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cr0y posted:

Can someone give me a tldr of what is going on in florida? I sorta checked out since tuesday to avoid a stomach ulcer.

Short version: there are a lot of uncounted votes that could change the result and the right is doing everything they can to get them thrown out.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

VH4Ever posted:

The more paranoid fears was 6 but I mean the ones that flipped D to R weren't surprises, right? Heitkamp and McCaskill never had a prayer
There was decent hope around Heitkamp and Breseden, and reasonable fears around Brown and Manchin.

The fears about Brown seem particularly justified, considering a statistically significant number of voters split their vote for Brown in Senate and DeWine in Governor, the person they had previously voted against in the 2012 Brown v. DEWine Senate race .

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cr0y posted:

recounts

nelson is getting a hand recount, gillum is getting a machine recount that may-but-probably-won't lead to a hand recount

CuddleCryptid posted:

Short version: there are a lot of uncounted votes that could change the result and the right is doing everything they can to get them thrown out.

this is also useful

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

This is great. Is it from Kimmel?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

VH4Ever posted:

The more paranoid fears was 6 but I mean the ones that flipped D to R weren't surprises, right? Heitkamp and McCaskill never had a prayer, Beto was a long shot at best and Nelson has the charisma of a jar of off-brand mayonnaise. If NV and AZ flip with tester hanging on that's as well as most realistically optimistic forecasts had the Dems doing anyway.

The polling was giving a (in retrospect) false sense of security. Heitcamp was toast, but Donnelly and McCaskill looked like they might be competitive at least, and Nelson seemed to be the slight favorite.

So Donnelly and McCaskill getting utterly crushed was a bit surprising (though not entirely unexpected), and Nelson not making it was the real loss happening contrary to expectations.

Netting -2 is still a really good showing for the map, and Nelson might still eke it out to make it a -1--which would be nigh-unbelievable to anyone a year ago.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1061009343330598912?s=21

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Just trying to keep up with the GOP.

The position is "change the rules of the game, but also win the game."

Lie cheat and steal if you think you can get away with it because everyone else is doing it as well.

MSDOS KAPITAL, future wall street banker.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Niwrad posted:

Looking at the 2020 map, the Democrats should be able to flip Colorado easily. North Carolina, Montana, Alaska, Arizona, and Maine should be races that Democrats have a decent chance in. Maybe even Georgia if they can keep the momentum.

As I said in the local races thread, the current Governor of Montana is a term-limited Democrat who can run in 2020. There's also the previous term-limited Governor, who theatrically vetoed stupid Tea Party bills:

quote:

HELENA - In vintage political theater in front of Montana's Capitol, Gov. Brian Schweitzer wielded three red-hot branding irons to burn "VETO" messages on some Republican bills Wednesday as a large crowd cheered him on.

Schweitzer emblazoned his "VETO" brand on seven paper bills attached to planks of wood that already had the bill numbers burned on them. The planks were hung on a display board. The worse the bill in Schweitzer's opinion, the larger the branding iron he used.

The bill papers would catch fire as the branding iron went through it to sear the wooden planks.

Gardner looks like the new Dean Heller.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 10, 2018

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

gently caress the NRA and their enablers

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1060977811584962560

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Dems did well enough for me to turn away from "lol @ Dems" nihilism. I know it's kind of hosed up that this hinged on them doing adequately but just being honest here.

The most effective pragmatic solution to stall Trumps bullshit is to vote Dem, not kooky Green people

Still making fun of centrism / triangulation though, in this era it is appropriate

Well and I think that's needed. It's a favorable map next time, right? All the more reason to make sure they run quality Dems!

Tibalt posted:

There was decent hope around Heitkamp and Breseden, and reasonable fears around Brown and Manchin.

The fears about Brown seem particularly justified, considering a statistically significant number of voters split their vote for Brown in Senate and DeWine in Governor, the person they had previously voted against in the 2012 Brown v. DEWine Senate race .

I thought I read somewhere that these Dems trying to run squishy Centrist-type campaigns are the ones that underperformed their polling estimates whereas the more Progressive ones tended to do pretty well against their forecast.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a reminder to anybody who doesn't have it, another poster made this nice piece of java script:

JavaScript code:
javascript:(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > iframe').length === 0 }).hide() })()
If you put that as a URL for a bookmark in Chrome, when clicked, will auto filter all the posts on a page to just pictures and tweets.

Very handy for catching up. I would suggest that this goes into the OP.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It is in the third post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It is in the third post.

I went two down! :argh: