Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suppose they'll need to size up her model as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

finally a semi-coherent way to field my billion zombie armies

Making me remember the clever poo poo people had to do to overcome limitations of the engine? The ring of waypoints you move a peasant onto to issue an auto-attack to your entire army.

And then the AI/pathfinding getting bogged down if you issue more than like, 50 commands.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Chopstix posted:

They’ve stated that they will redo the voiceovers too

At the same time, they also want there to be an option to still use the original voices, so they're not gonna be doing any big script re-writes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

maybe there'll be a Classic plot and a Reforged plot

actually that would be pretty funny

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Prav posted:

It would fit with how they're handing BfA, that's for sure.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Prav posted:

Note: Sylvanas died on the way back to her home planet

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jokes posted:

Making me remember the clever poo poo people had to do to overcome limitations of the engine? The ring of waypoints you move a peasant onto to issue an auto-attack to your entire army.

And then the AI/pathfinding getting bogged down if you issue more than like, 50 commands.

Really the genre peaked at zErGlInG bL00d.

Prav posted:

Finally we'll get what we deserve: Earth 616 Sylvanas and Ultimate Sylvanas.

But I would like to back up to the end of Beyond the Dark Portal, which strongly implies that Khadgar and friends have to chase Ner'Zhul across multiple dimensions. Instead Kil'Jaeden curses him to become the most convoluted of all Warcraft characters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Prav posted:

The classic campaign will probably still be available as an option.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nail Rat posted:

I microwaved a lot of pizza rolls when I played WC3 in college back in 2001 I'll have you know.

Wow that's a neat trick or a nice time machine

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

The classic campaign will probably still be available as an option.

This is my hope - to have both as options - but as far as I know, noone from Blizz has been willing to commit to saying this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Poil posted:

I suppose they'll need to size up her model as well.

I was playing the campaign last night and if you're talking about the profile picture they're sized up enough. Titties start about chin level.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Something I've been wondering. The AI cheats with resource gains, but does it pretend that workers have an effect on income? Like if you harass and kill workers in a campaign mission, will the AI reduce its attacks for a bit?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
From what I remember the campaign AI cheats with resources by having its workers carry far more gold per trip than the human player (I think x10). So while you can technically run them out of gold you have to basically shut down their economy so completely that you would have won by force at that point anyway.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I know one of the strategies for offensively winning the RoC final was just sniping acolytes til the undead ran out of resources.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Flayer posted:

From what I remember the campaign AI cheats with resources by having its workers carry far more gold per trip than the human player (I think x10). So while you can technically run them out of gold you have to basically shut down their economy so completely that you would have won by force at that point anyway.

I was watching someone play the Sylvanas mission where everyone starts off asleep and they killed all the acolytes and necropoli but the undead base still sent a few attacks. Weak and infrequent but they still came.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I was watching someone play the Sylvanas mission where everyone starts off asleep and they killed all the acolytes and necropoli but the undead base still sent a few attacks. Weak and infrequent but they still came.

Starting resources.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

McTimmy posted:

I know one of the strategies for offensively winning the RoC final was just sniping acolytes til the undead ran out of resources.

It was less they ran out of resources and more that they scrapped their old base every time they captured a new one. So if you let them take the human settlement and then blitzed down the workers and necropolis there the enemy couldn't actually build anything to attack you with.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

It was less they ran out of resources and more that they scrapped their old base every time they captured a new one. So if you let them take the human settlement and then blitzed down the workers and necropolis there the enemy couldn't actually build anything to attack you with.

I did mean their actual starting base.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm personally fond of the potion of invincibility + goblin land mine spam strat for that mission.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Skuzal posted:

Well its not quite that bad, they are bringing in the wow voice actors so that they are recognizable for people that never played WC3, but will have an option in the menus to choose between the old voices and the new ones, similarly they will have options for the old graphics and the newer ones.

Sorry I am not at a desktop right now and I forgot where the link is, but they stated that they are going to redue some voices and redo some easter egg/click on a unit a whole bunch ans get a funny quote lines, since some of their references are relatively old and some players may not get it. They mentioned that stuff like “Me not that kinda orc” is going to stay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

dr.acula posted:

I'm personally fond of the potion of invincibility + goblin land mine spam strat for that mission.

Goblin land mines were a close contender for my favorite cheese ever in the game

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't like cheesing Twilight of the Gods. Or, at the very least, if you're going to you should type the cheat to finish the mission after you succeed because IIRC the game doesn't detect that you cheesed it and you end up sitting around doing nothing for 45 minutes.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

You spend that time trying to dps down Archimonde

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

I always hipp riders at the human and orc bases spamming starfall and tranquill, while dumping excess resources from the two expos into ancient protectors at the night elf base.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wiki states that generic heroes will have random/variant models, like a female Demon Hunter.

I wonder if Blizzard will realize the amount of money they can make offering Army/Hero customization like SCII, but on a greater scale of personalization.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the CL seem a little weak to anyone else or is it just me? He's ok as a third rounding out your nuke in a tri-hero situation but he seems disproportionately meh in the early game. Beetles in particular are disappointing. His model is also huge and gets stuck on everything

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Chopstix posted:

Sorry I am not at a desktop right now and I forgot where the link is, but they stated that they are going to redue some voices and redo some easter egg/click on a unit a whole bunch ans get a funny quote lines, since some of their references are relatively old and some players may not get it. They mentioned that stuff like “Me not that kinda orc” is going to stay.

On Grubbys stream at blizzcon he had asked a dev if there was a way to keep the old voices in for people that prefer them over the new ones and the dev responded with there being an option to use old voices over the new ones.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have been playing 24-player Warcraft 3 in anticipation of this and it's... Something. It takes like 5 minutes just to set the teams properly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Skuzal posted:

On Grubbys stream at blizzcon he had asked a dev if there was a way to keep the old voices in for people that prefer them over the new ones and the dev responded with there being an option to use old voices over the new ones.

Grubby just doesn't want to have to learn new impressions

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Grubby just doesn't want to have to learn new impressions

lol

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

General Battuta posted:

Pretty fuckin weird that the Orcish Horde had like two orc units (grunt and peon?) tho.
Also blademaster, far seer, shaman, and the rider part of the unit for raider, kodo beast, and wyvern.

It's actually considerably worse for humans, all they got are Pally, Archmage, peasant/militia, footman, and knight.

edit: It'd be cool if they reverted to the vanilla War3 names. Basically all the TFT name changes (catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine) were bad. They must've just been in a bad naming funk at the time because they also planned to call the tavern the cantina until enough people complained on the beta message boards.

edit2: lol there's still some ancient crusty official page that says Cantina: http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/heroes.shtml

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 15, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cicero posted:

(catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine)

The last two sounds like they were trying to avoid copyright claims from Games Workshop.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cicero posted:

Also blademaster, far seer, shaman, and the rider part of the unit for raider, kodo beast, and wyvern.

It's actually considerably worse for humans, all they got are Pally, Archmage, peasant/militia, footman, and knight.

edit: It'd be cool if they reverted to the vanilla War3 names. Basically all the TFT name changes (catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine) were bad. They must've just been in a bad naming funk at the time because they also planned to call the tavern the cantina until enough people complained on the beta message boards.

edit2: lol there's still some ancient crusty official page that says Cantina: http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/heroes.shtml

They use those new names in WoW so I doubt it if they're trying to make the two games more cohesive.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow that's a neat trick or a nice time machine

2002, close enough.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cicero posted:

It's actually considerably worse for humans, all they got are Pally, Archmage, peasant/militia, footman, and knight.l

Talkin bout Warcraft 2.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

General Battuta posted:

Talkin bout Warcraft 2.
Ah whoops.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The oil tanker, transport and catapult are all technically orc designs/crews even if they don't show up in model. But yeah, a big point of warcraft 2 was both factions turning into big huge alliances of dudes instead.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FoolyCharged posted:

The oil tanker, transport and catapult are all technically orc designs/crews even if they don't show up in model. But yeah, a big point of warcraft 2 was both factions turning into big huge alliances of dudes instead.

You're the captain! Ahoy! Ahoy! I would love to.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Cicero posted:

edit: It'd be cool if they reverted to the vanilla War3 names. Basically all the TFT name changes (catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine) were bad.

The model changes were bad too. The glaive thrower too. What were they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Old gyro loving owned.