Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

I strained my wrist doing OHP on Wednesday and it still hurts too much to hold the rack position for front squats.

Is this disappointment or relief?

Does it hurt if you do the crossed arms front squat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon posted:

The gym got new 2.5kg bumper plates that look exactly like 25kg. Do they ever stop being funny?

lotta potential here for some castleberry shenanigans

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nothing beats squatting 4 plates with a mix of 15kg and chunky bumper 5s.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

sassassin posted:

Nothing beats squatting 4 plates with a mix of 15kg and chunky bumper 5s.

So like, doing crossfit?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MarcusSA posted:

Does it hurt if you do the crossed arms front squat?

No, I tried that and my wrists were okay but my baby shoulders weren't used to the loading there and I couldn't do it. I just added some weight and subbed in paused squats instead.

I have a forced rest week now cause my work is making me go places so hopefully it's better when I get back.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

What about using straps to hold on to the weight in the front rack position?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fhqwhgads posted:

Don't have straps, but I guess that's one instance where I actually would have used 'em.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

That seems kinda dangerous. What if you need to bail?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

dads friend steve posted:

That seems kinda dangerous. What if you need to bail?

You're not strapped in like you'd "normally" use the straps. The straps go around the bar and you're holding the straps kind of like an inverted safety squat bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIVKa7EfcMU

Edit:
I have discovered just how thirsty fitness Facebook group pages are by posting a picture of myself shirtless but wearing a waistcoat. Definitely the ego boost I needed right now.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 10, 2018

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You don't use the straps to attach the bar to your wrists you use them as a handle.

Like demonstrated by Mike T.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp18aI7iIdE/

They also make bar attachments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp9y9oFhuKP/

Edit:Fhqwhgads described it better.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Crossfit!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That dude’s anus must be buff as heck

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

:stare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That dude’s anus must be buff as heck

Obv not if he couldn't poo poo it back out, thats only about 2 courics

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

:stare:------:stare:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Im glad they added the arrows on the picture I was having trouble finding where the dumbbell was.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did they need an x-ray to see he had a dumbbell in his bhole?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well he apparently wasn’t volunteering any information

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

He probably just forgot about it

Happens to me sometimes, after I spend several hours relaxing my anus in order to slowly and painfully insert a loving dumbbell up my rear end, and you know, you just kind of forget it’s there

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean they tell you to use flared bases to stop stuff like that from happening, but it didn't seem to matter to this dude. We need TFAB to weigh in on this and get his butt stuff opinion.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zil posted:

I mean they tell you to use flared bases to stop stuff like that from happening, but it didn't seem to matter to this dude. We need TFAB to weigh in on this and get his butt stuff opinion.

problem is both ends were flared

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
proper form is critical, even for the goblet squat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Strict pressing a plate for reps feels good. I know it ain’t poo poo but drat if it didn’t take me a long rear end time to do it lol.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've not gone to the gym to start deadlifting yet, hard days at work and "busy" on the days off. Need to go there during office hours to get a keycard and I a guess need to buy gym shoes first too.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i don't deadlift in shoes

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i don't deadlift in shoes

Do I need gym shoes, or just walk in off the muddy street, change, and go barefeet into the gym area?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

I've not gone to the gym to start deadlifting yet, hard days at work and "busy" on the days off. Need to go there during office hours to get a keycard and I a guess need to buy gym shoes first too.

Just get chucks or something with a flat sole 🤷🏻‍♂️ you ain’t gotta break the bank for anything

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

doverhog posted:

Do I need gym shoes, or just walk in off the muddy street, change, and go barefeet into the gym area?

I wear socks for deads/squats and whatever my regular day shoes are for other stuff.

e: I think I might try high bar squats again tonight tho, so I'll likely dig out the powerlifts.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I wear socks for deads/squats and whatever my regular day shoes are for other stuff.

That's different, no way are you allowed to wear your outdoor shoes inside the gym in Finland. ** I wouldn't want to either, that's gross

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright then you fuckin bougie rear end in a top hat lol

e: if you want a cheap heel for squats I think my powerlifts were like 60 dollars but that was a while ago.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I go to the cheapest gym in town and they have signs at every entrance saying don't wear outside shoes in the workout areas. People still do it and I look down on them.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
that's weird, I haven't seen that at all in the 3 gyms I've been to.

e: if it helps I always bring clean socks with my gym clothes? I guess I am the gross retard, what a plot twist.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 12, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Finland is an asiatic country and wearing your outdoor shoes inside is forbidden by custom/religion. You would get banned from a home or a gym if you went walking around there and refused to take off your shoes.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what about the sock thing? Being serious for a second, imo it feels pretty good for deadlifts so you should try it if it's not faux pas to do.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

To deadlift in socks? I'm sure I can try it. I realize now tho I can't get a real answer on footwear here since gym rules are not universal across countries, I just need to get some cheap shoes for the purpose and go.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In the US, I think the shoe thing is a northern thing. In the South, any place I've been to doesn't ask you to wear different shoes. May be a salt thing too?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That one guy recommended chucks for a flat sole and I recommended powerlifts if you want a heeled squat shoe.

Also wrestling shoes work if you want to technically be wearing shoes but without much material between you and the floor.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

In the US, I think the shoe thing is a northern thing. In the South, any place I've been to doesn't ask you to wear different shoes. May be a salt thing too?

The shoe thing in these parts is a "don't track your dirty rear end shoe grime everywhere" thing. We get winters here too. Don't recall anyone ever lifting in boots.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My squat keeps going up even though I only train it once a week and don't do any lower body accessories

I imagine this is because years ago I did Starting Strength and all that work is still paying off