Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

NeuralSpark posted:

I took over running a video production house, and everything was the SAN.

It’s because you have three raid-5 arrays striped in Raid-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s either that or everything is “the server”

Hello yes I wanted to call and let you know I think The Cloud is off? Could you please turn it back on

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

the internet is down

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Today I was talking to a manager from an MSSP (not someone we employ, just a friendly conversation) and he mentioned his 15-16 hour days.

lol.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

the internet is down

Inshallah

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Thanatosian posted:

I think the only place worse for office politics than academia is actual politics.

Maybe.

Generally attributed to Henry Kissinger...

"Academic politics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small."

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Agrikk posted:

It’s because you have three raid-5 arrays striped in Raid-0.

It was actually 32 member RAID-0 where each member was 4 8-drive RAID-5s in a RAID-0

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 10, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

NeuralSpark posted:

It was actually 32 member RAID-0 where each member was 4 8-drive RAID-5s in a RAID-0

I couldn’t remember the exact configuration, but I remember it being retarded.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/gSrnXgAmK8k

For all your schadenfreude needs.

“If we lost three drives out of one of the raid-5 arrays, none of the data is coming back.”

“None of the data in that array-“

“None of it.”

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 10, 2018

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

my bitter bi rival posted:

People blaming the network is a form of gaslighting.

AGreed

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My boss caused an outage this weekend while I was on call by doing some totally unnecessary work. I got paged and had to bail him out. He should have known what he did would cause an outage because the last time someone did this thing it caused an outage, too, and there is an open issue on it.

How much scotch is it reasonable for me to demand from him, and of what age?

(My boss owns and we have a great relationship, for the record, but I feel the need to make an example of this)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

My boss caused an outage this weekend while I was on call by doing some totally unnecessary work. I got paged and had to bail him out. He should have known what he did would cause an outage because the last time someone did this thing it caused an outage, too, and there is an open issue on it.

How much scotch is it reasonable for me to demand from him, and of what age?

(My boss owns and we have a great relationship, for the record, but I feel the need to make an example of this)

Do you live somewhere with a large selection? (Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, one presumes NYC but my knowledge there is non-existant.) Why go dollars and age statement when you can go obscure? Just pick something 12-18 years $75-100 from a producer you both like, then drink it with him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Boston, (low)availability of booze is not a problem here

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Docjowles posted:

Weed then

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

I can't wait until Las Vegas has actual weed houses or smoke rooms. Then, there might actually be reason to go to Las Vegas!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today our SAP support team scheduled downtime for a refresh of our test system with our production system data claiming it would be 2AM-7AM. We planned our downtime until 11AM to be safe. At 1145AM I was informed that the estimated downtime was another 15 hours and they were planning to continue that plan. That was a fun argument

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

We do our refreshes with zero Prod downtime... we should talk

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that was possible! We were told “standard SAP procedure” involved doing a full export of production, during which prod would be unavailable

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd fire everyone I could get my hands on if a prod upgrade with downtime took 15 hours, and would hope they'd already left before realizing I didn't have the authority to do so.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd fire everyone I could get my hands on if a prod upgrade with downtime took 15 hours, and would hope they'd already left before realizing I didn't have the authority to do so.

Depending on the hours of the business, it may not be a big deal. I would be ok if certain things were down for over a day. But in this case, I am going to guess SAP is backed by SAN storage, so why not clone the database and export from that? I don't know anything about SAP specifically, so i could be way off base.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Realistically 24 hour downtime isn’t the end of the world for us if we plan for it ahead of time. Most production paperwork can be gotten from SAP the day before,and any post-ship stuff can be done once it’s back up. The real problem was the team in India thinking we could just extend downtime for 15 hours ad hoc. Our test system hasn’t been updated in a few years, so it runs into some issues between test and prod.

Our SAP implementation is from 98 so while I’m sure there are much easier ways to do things I don’t know how or if it’s even possible in this iteration

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't know anything about SAP other than it can will bring a company too it's knees if it goes down.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know anything about SAP other than it can will bring a company too it's knees if it goes down.

My cousin graduated college, got a job doing SAP, and immediately started driving around in a corvette.

She now has a baby seat in that corvette, so common sense is apparently not required to do SAP.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

It'll quite happily bring it to it's knees when being setup, too :v:

Krispy Wafer posted:

My cousin graduated college, got a job doing SAP, and immediately started driving around in a corvette.

She now has a baby seat in that corvette, so common sense is apparently not required to do SAP.

What's wrong with having a baby seat in a vette? As long as it's rear-facing and she turned off the passenger side airbag it's all good.

Making good money (by being a SAP consultant) and having a baby (that will then have a nice college fund and hopefully good medical care etc. as a result of affluent parent(s)) sounds like common sense to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wibla posted:

What's wrong with having a baby seat in a vette? As long as it's rear-facing and she turned off the passenger side airbag it's all good.

Making good money (by being a SAP consultant) and having a baby (that will then have a nice college fund and hopefully good medical care etc. as a result of affluent parent(s)) sounds like common sense to me.

I think the point was that having a safer, more family friendly car would have been the smarter option but what do I know.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

I will readily admit to never having ridden in a Corvette, but I've tried using a car seat in small two door vehicles and its not fun. I guess it's more an unusual dedication to form over function since we live in a very congested area and no one commutes in Corvettes, much less uses them as family haulers.

I recall 'Vettes having big trunks though so there's that I guess. :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Single mom? :quagmire:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is anyone able to explain why SAP is so important or what the hell it does in the first place that normal people understand?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone able to explain why SAP is so important or what the hell it does in the first place that normal people understand?

It's a miserable pile of secrets.

It's basically accounting software. And logistics. And...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

It's ERP. Their principal competition is Oracle. So your warehouse inventory, order tracking, and logistics system all runs via SAP.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Single mom? :quagmire:

Just got divorced.

Unfortunately it's a two seater and junior has shotgun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

H110Hawk posted:

It's ERP. Their principal competition is Oracle. So your warehouse inventory, order tracking, and logistics system all runs via SAP.

It's what our execs threaten everyone with when people bitch about our AS400 implementation. Which never ever ever goes down and we own and know all the code.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

It’s an ERP. It handles procurement, warehouse management, logistics, accounting, sales orders, production orders, inventory, and a whole lot more that we don’t use

It’s basiclaly our entire business from a technology aspect

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sap Hana is huge in enterprise companies.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would kill for HANA

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Our company uses SAP and I literally never touch it as an admin or user so that's good I think

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

Our company uses SAP and I literally never touch it as an admin or user so that's good I think

That's my strategy for SAP. Stay as far away as I can while being in the same company.

$JOB doesn't use SAP, but a prior job did. Based on the constant IT alerts for upcoming maintenance downtimes, SAP is apparently made of cobwebs and toothpicks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The problem with SAP and really most ERPs is they are highly customizable and this is great for business but 95% of the time people asking for these customizations get to make the decision without any actual clue of how it will impact things as a whole and then they build customs on customs to make sure other aspects of their business aren’t broken by the first custom change and then after years of unchecked customization you run into a complete bastardization of enterprise software with everyone in the company convinced your ERP is actually trash and a complete waste of money

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And also you can't update it or everything falls apart

We're on an ERP written in the 80s. Tried to plan an upgrade/conversion a year ago, administration realized it would take 18+ months and $$$ so they decided to kick that can down the road a couple years

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Kashuno posted:

The problem with SAP and really most ERPs is they are highly customizable and this is great for business but 95% of the time people asking for these customizations get to make the decision without any actual clue of how it will impact things as a whole and then they build customs on customs to make sure other aspects of their business aren’t broken by the first custom change and then after years of unchecked customization you run into a complete bastardization of enterprise software with everyone in the company convinced your ERP is actually trash and a complete waste of money

I think it's so weird the popular buzz phrase in technology is "Technology should meet the needs of the business, not the other way around!".

Unless it's SAP or some other incredibly important platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Our security team has added a bot in Slack that spams the channel with "DO NOT SHARE PASSWORDS IN SLACK" every time you post a message containing the string "password" :smithcloud: