Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The country will collapse before we get any major electoral changes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Like basically the 4-step process each state needs:

1) institute approval voting

2) have a primary system that isn't dependent on political parties (in Califonia's case we already have that with the jungle primary, but once approval voting is instituted we should expand the number of candidates allowed to go onto the general election to like 5 or something, what use is approval voting if you only have 2 candidates)

3) institute independent redistricting commissions (California already has one so this step is already done for us)

4) switch from winner takes all electors to the Nebraska/Maine system (after the previous steps are done, or else gerrymandering will be exacerbated, and honestly the electoral college doesn't really work when there's only 2 viable candidates)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Pomp posted:

Holding out hope for the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pomp posted:

Ah good, now we've absolved ourselves of even trying because it's all going to fail anyway, so why bother.

Join DSA and talk with people. Support them monetarily if you can. Support them in person if you can. Support them via the internet and phone/text banking if you can.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I'd say Approval Voting is a better option, though IRV is a better option than what we have now
can you give me a TL;DR on why approval voting is better than IR?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Man, looking at California news right now, I have to wonder how SLO County has managed to escape the hellfire this year. (And if we do get a bad fire, I hope it takes out all the eucalyptus trees in Montaña de Oro State Park so we can replace them with native plants.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

CPColin posted:

Man, looking at California news right now, I have to wonder how SLO County has managed to escape the hellfire this year. (And if we do get a bad fire, I hope it takes out all the eucalyptus trees in Montaña de Oro State Park so we can replace them with native plants.)

Eucalyptus trees are full of oil, and have a reputation of exploding during fires.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I know. They also kill every native plant that tries to grow underneath them. The locals are also attached to the grove noted bonehead Alexander Hazard planted in an ill-advised attempt to grow stock for lumber, preventing their removal, so if a fire can just rip through and take them all out, I'm for it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pomp posted:

Having any time at all for that poo poo is a significant privilege on its own

Hey I spotted the person who definitely has not been involved in local politics but is going to whine to you about them.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

bawfuls posted:

1) Easier to implement (just take the preexisting ballot structure and change "vote one" to "vote one or more") and easier to count results (no need for some complicated algorithm)

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKAScORevQ

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks, I ended up reading through that link anyway and I'm convinced. It is a bit counterintuitive at first that getting a less detailed snapshot from each voter ends up being better, but it makes sense in the end.

The ease of implementation and of actually explaining it to people also seem important when we're talking about what to actually USE not just what's theoretically best.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bawfuls posted:

Also a lot fewer excuses to disqualify a submitted ballot, since if you use binary marks like California does for everything except (understandably) propositions and court seat referenda, every possible set of marks you could make (even stray marks) produces a valid ballot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it appears to be more foolproof in several ways. The simplicity is a strong feature that was not immediately apparent to me.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Agreed, there's no reason to keep building in already overcrowded cities.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not talking about more suburbs and didn't say anything about overcrowding.

Bolding mine.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can build high density housing inland without displacing anyone. In fact the cities there would probably froth at the mouth for the chance at some real investment. Yes we also need to improve our public transit, but this is a way we can build a ton more housing without ruining people's lives and I think long commutes are inherently sorta worth that?

How is making existing cities more dense ruining people's lives?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How is making existing cities more dense ruining people's lives?

Long commutes are incredibly bad and a terrible idea.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Oh no, the candidate who got the most first- or second-place votes got elected because I voted honestly!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CPColin posted:

Oh no, the candidate who got the most first- or second-place votes got elected because I voted honestly!
The point is that provides incentive for voting dishonestly, which doesn't exist to such a degree in approval voting systems.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jaxyon posted:

Long commutes are incredibly bad and a terrible idea.

Literally everyone I know who commutes 1 hour+ has either a terrible marriage or is divorced.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Literally everyone I know who commutes 1 hour+ has either a terrible marriage or is divorced.

Spending 2 hours + a day doing absolutely nothing because ~density~ a good trade.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/mgafni/status/1061028514063765504

lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
How many lives has PG&E taken so far this year? More than last year? Their body count is substantial.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jaxyon posted:

Spending 2 hours + a day doing absolutely nothing because ~density~ a good trade.

Yeah the guy has his own little slice of heaven - a tract house in the suburbs that he never spends any time in because he's commuting.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Hey I spotted the person who definitely has not been involved in local politics but is going to whine to you about them.

im gonna whip out my voter registration cards and m4a signature sheets binch

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bawfuls posted:

The point is that provides incentive for voting dishonestly, which doesn't exist to such a degree in approval voting systems.

Meh. Two-thirds of the voters still got their first or second choice.

I also think the scenario presented in the video is a little silly. When the middle candidate is eliminated first, the vote is split between the remaining candidates, pushing the left one past 50%. When the "Ideal" candidate is eliminated first, however, all their votes go to the middle candidate? That seems a little contrived.

Anyway, more concerned about the ability to indicate that, say, I preferred a more progressive candidate and settled for a more moderate candidate, as opposed to being concerned about the weirdos in last place getting all tactical.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Agreed, there's no reason to keep building in already overcrowded cities.
San Francisco looks like Omaha compared to other world cities, and they're often prettier and more livable. It is so, so far from being overcrowded. We should cram as many people as we can into the bay for the environmental benefits alone -- those are people who won't need climate control year-round.

Jaxyon posted:

Greater density in job centers allows more people to live closer to where they work, shortening their commutes.

edit: I misread, we're on the same side :respek:

acksplode fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 10, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nationalize (Stationalize?) PG&E

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

We need Bay City. We need to unify our metros.

What I'm saying is: All Glory to ABAG!

I noticed the lunatic on 580 updated his billboards. Got himself a sweet electric one that can switch between two essentially incomprehensible messages now! Very efficient.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

CPColin posted:

Meh. Two-thirds of the voters still got their first or second choice.

I also think the scenario presented in the video is a little silly. When the middle candidate is eliminated first, the vote is split between the remaining candidates, pushing the left one past 50%. When the "Ideal" candidate is eliminated first, however, all their votes go to the middle candidate? That seems a little contrived.

Anyway, more concerned about the ability to indicate that, say, I preferred a more progressive candidate and settled for a more moderate candidate, as opposed to being concerned about the weirdos in last place getting all tactical.

maybe Score Voting is more your speed

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

San Francisco looks like Omaha compared to other world cities, and they're often prettier and more livable. It is so, so far from being overcrowded. We should cram as many people as we can into the bay for the environmental benefits alone -- those are people who won't need climate control year-round.

Greater density in job centers allows more people to live closer to where they work, shortening their commutes.

If only we could build over three stories...

Nah, it would ruin the feel of my neighborhood, which was already changing when my pot smoking deadbeat poet rear end moved here forty years ago as the Italian Americans were moving out. That doesn’t count, of course.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 10, 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1061077753942798336

so did denham get turfed after all once mail-in ballots were counted?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

How many lives has PG&E taken so far this year? More than last year? Their body count is substantial.

listen they can do proper maintenance and not kill people or they can have good stock returns but they can't do both

it's like you don't even care about my dividends

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ProperGanderPusher posted:

If only we could build over three stories...

Nah, it would ruin the feel of my neighborhood, which was already changing when my pot smoking deadbeat poet rear end moved here forty years ago as the Italian Americans were moving out. That doesn’t count, of course.

Look, the Mission is, and will always be Irish. Any sort of change is bad.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

FCKGW posted:

That guy also did a video on KILLDOZER

That's an unlisted one for people that donated to his Patreon. Please don't take donoteat's money. He needs that to fund future school trips to Cambodia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hosed up to see the people walking around with no masks on the air index here is gonna be like 210 whicu is very hazardous. Tons of homeless with no masks, really hosed up.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

hosed up to see the people walking around with no masks on the air index here is gonna be like 210 whicu is very hazardous. Tons of homeless with no masks, really hosed up.

AQI is nearly 300 where I am and I'm feeling pretty drat stupid for not owning a proper mask already. We've got a sizable homeless population and I don't know what they're going to do. It isn't safe to be outside right now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, they're going to die. Duh.

ne: Probably painfully.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

LeoMarr posted:

the air quality here in Oakland has been in the 200-350 range since noon

most people don't have masks

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

AQI is nearly 300 where I am and I'm feeling pretty drat stupid for not owning a proper mask already

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Holy poo poo a firenado is a thing
https://twitter.com/stormchaserukeu/status/1060933395046375424?s=21