Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The time skip owns and Comrades also owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I also actually liked Chapter 13, lol. I never thought a FF game would scare me but it did because I'm a scaredy cat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
noctis emerging from a cocoon as john wick rules

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The jump-scare when you’re shimmying through the narrow passage hosed me right up.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

noctis emerging from a cocoon as john wick rules

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I also actually liked Chapter 13, lol. I never thought a FF game would scare me but it did because I'm a scaredy cat

I didn't "like" chapter 13 but I thought it was really effective since it made me feel really stressed out in the same way Noctis was and I'm glad they included it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I didn't "like" chapter 13 but I thought it was really effective since it made me feel really stressed out in the same way Noctis was and I'm glad they included it.

“gently caress i wish my friends were here”

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i hope Final Fantasy 16 borrows a lot of the mechanics from 15 and makes minor improvements on them. it's cool that FF sort reinvents the wheel a lot of the time, but another game in a different setting with even more polished 15 combat would be cool.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah, it was intense. I standby my 2 year old assessment that I just re-read that Chapter 13's only major crime is being a tad too long. Shave 5-10 mins off and nobody would've complained. I think they actually did that shortly after launch anyway

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I thought the isolation in 13 and the timeskip to 14 were both good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBMX6jWUys

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think the “abrupt” tonal change isn’t really abrupt at all if you don’t bother with sidequests. It’s a 20 hour or less game if you just do story stuff and seems pretty reasonably paced. It’s just that the point of no return can happen after 40 hours so it feels truncated

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I think the “abrupt” tonal change isn’t really abrupt at all if you don’t bother with sidequests. It’s a 20 hour or less game if you just do story stuff and seems pretty reasonably paced. It’s just that the point of no return can happen after 40 hours so it feels truncated

I guess that's fair. I spent like 40 hours just hunting and fishing and dungeon-crawling and stuff, so it sort of felt like a camping simulator with a grimdark Final Fantasy story tossed into the last couple of hours. It basically just feels like a very different game once you get on the train.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

15 is one of the few FF games where I really felt like we were preventing The End Of The World in the end game.
FF9 is also good about this, the fourth disc escalation is great.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Reading all these posts makes me want to go back and finish my FFXV playthrough.. I wasn't very far in the story at all and you guys are making it sound loving cool

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I thought the isolation in 13 and the timeskip to 14 were both good.

Yeah its badass its like all that poo poo earlier in the game had to happen by some cosmic design just so you and your friends would be strong enough to stomp ifrit

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mr. Sophistication posted:

Reading all these posts makes me want to go back and finish my FFXV playthrough.. I wasn't very far in the story at all and you guys are making it sound loving cool

same, even tho I have the plat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never killed the huge turtle

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I never killed the huge turtle

noob

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only FF I've ever done postgame stuff in was XIII which I did twice. Someday I wanna do the Weapons in VII, and the crazy X-2 mega dungeon

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

noob

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:negative:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Guess I'll skip fighting that gigantic adamantoise who is disguised as a mountain that you see within the first 5 mins of the game. That fight won't be cool as gently caress or anything. Yeah, I'll skip that. DurRR

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the post game sidequests in rpgs arent optional if you ask me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I swear I read an interview where they said chapter 13 was basically unchanged from how Nomura wrote it when the game was still Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which explained the difference in tone

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The adamantoise fight was cool but it got tedious and the camera was a constant pain imo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

user name checks out

real fans steal all like four items from ozma

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

The adamantoise fight was cool but it got tedious and the camera was a constant pain imo

Yeah after a while I got bored and instakilled it with the ring. It was cool as hell but like a lot of the endgame stuff the fight is just endless wailing on an unthreatening sack of hp for 20 minutes

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

a lot of the endgame stuff the fight is just endless wailing on an unthreatening sack of hp for 20 minutes

Nah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Evil Eagle posted:

It all happens after the point of no return at least. After the game stops being open world.

Nah. Nights start coming earlier not too late into the game, world def going to poo poo/etc. The game for sure railroads (heh....) you when poo poo really hits the fan, but the tonal shift is built to imo. It could have been built to more if the game had more story, but it definitely didn't feel sudden, at least to me.

Also the timeskip owns and I jizzed when the World of Ruin title card popped up. Between FFXIV and XV, Japanese Squeenix seems to finally be realizing how dope FFVI is. Lotta love letter to it in both games. XIV obvs is a love letter to all of 'em but so much of ARR had shades of VI.

Only issue I have with XV is wanting more of it. In the base game not dlc or added cutscenes lmbo. It jumps around so weirdly at points, like when suddenly the gang has this plan to get the boat and talks about it as if it's been discussed a bunch, but we see none of that so it's just a weird moment of feeling like you missed something.

e: also I liked chapter 13 but played it after they buffed the ring and added cutscenes explaining what happened to luna's bro. the ignis/gladio route is ok too. i did ch13 by jumping between the two.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 10, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can understand getting excited about seeing the World of Ruin in the game but what about not getting to go to...any of it. You had to be at least a little disappointed with that

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, I definitely was. But it was still dope.

Comrades helped a liiiittle bit but not much, since it's all instanced and you can only roam by glitching out of bounds. Which is fun but not for long.

Comrades is p dope despite that tho

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Comrades is cool but I could never find other players because the matchmaking was insanely bad

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
e: nevermind

Over There fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't care to see those.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Over There posted: