Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with it, it's about not being interested in it.

I use to scroll through the old Trump thread pretty fast, once in a while there was something interesting.

Sanguinia posted:

That's all fair. Granted, things have not been nearly as bad as I imagined they would be since I saw that the threads were going to be merged.

All I can say in opposition is that in the last two years I've been in some mentally dark places, and generally the Trump Thread made it better while USPOL made it worse. DemsBad posts on this forum in my admittedly limited experience can often lead to an infectious level of misery wallowing. I was very happy to have even a soft refuge where I could still talk about the topic at hand and thus work through it on some particularly dark days, rather than feeling compelled to just completely switch off and hope I could process it alone because I knew going into the thread would be mental agony.

That said, if the end result is making the "USPOL Content," better instead of making the "Trump Thread," content worse, then it was a good decision for all the reasons you said, and thus far that seems to have been the result for the most part. So I'll quit metaposting now.

Yeah, I understand it has been a fairly rough two years and the old Trump help did help people cope, but also led to obviously other issues. I think it might be useful to seek out a discord alongside D&D.

Earthorn posted:

But seriously, the Trump thread was a much better read. Please bring it back.

I don't think it is coming back. Either way, I just don't think it is a good idea especially since the merged thread is overall leading to a healthier place. That said, this thread was created before I came around and I don't have the last word on it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I don't think it is coming back. Either way, I just don't think it is a good idea especially since the merged thread is overall leading to a healthier place. That said, this thread was created before I came around and I don't have the last word on it either.

Healthier how?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

nine-gear crow posted:

Lest we forget, the thing that did in Herman Cain was finding out that he had rocked several women that weren’t his wife like a hurricane :v:

...Remember when sexual assault mattered? Good times.

It ended the second Republicans realized they had no one to run that wasn't a sex pest of some sort

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Could you imagine if we had kept that kind of intensity through till the '10 midterms and beyond? I know the country was in bad recession, but I just have to think his strategy could have whipped so many more into enthusiasm and movement towards a common goal.

In the novel version of World War Z a blatant stand-in for Howard Dead was chosen by blatant stand-in Colin Powell as his VP as both parties splintered in the face of the disaster and factions within each agreed to work together to rally the people before full-blown sectarianism and anarchy overwhelmed what was left of the government machinery. They make an oblique reference to Obama and how Powell picked Dean over him for his Beacon Of Hope campaign because despite the zombie apocalypse devouring everything east of the Rockies, the surviving American people still weren't ready for a Double Black Man ticket and would have voted for the other guy.

Always liked that bit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Earthorn posted:

Healthier how?

I believe getting to the heart of an issue is healthier than to pretend it doesn’t exist. In this sense, some conflict is actually healthier than none.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

In the novel version of World War Z a blatant stand-in for Howard Dead was chosen by blatant stand-in Colin Powell as his VP as both parties splintered in the face of the disaster and factions within each agreed to work together to rally the people before full-blown sectarianism and anarchy overwhelmed what was left of the government machinery. They make an oblique reference to Obama and how Powell picked Dean over him for his Beacon Of Hope campaign because despite the zombie apocalypse devouring everything east of the Rockies, the surviving American people still weren't ready for a Double Black Man ticket and would have voted for the other guy.

Always liked that bit.

In the full cast audiobook version he’s voiced by Rob Reiner to boot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ardennes posted:

I believe getting to the heart of an issue is healthier than to pretend it doesn’t exist. In this sense, some conflict is actually healthier than none.

this is exactly it.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ardennes posted:

What is the issue being addressed by this combined thread?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Taking back the House, alone, was worth this:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Earthorn posted:

What is the issue being addressed by this combined thread?

What is actually going on in 2018 America and obviously something is going on. Also it really isn’t my job to tell what the thread to think.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ardennes posted:

What is actually going on in 2018 America and obviously something is going on. Also it really isn’t my job to tell what the thread to think.

So the merged thread exists because it's leading to a healthier place by addressing the issue of what is going on in america in 2018. Got it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Taking back the House, alone, was worth this:

Fear the Auntie!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Earthorn posted:

So the merged thread exists because it's leading to a healthier place by addressing the issue of what is going on in america in 2018. Got it.

Yeah, at least from my perspective.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Meridian posted:

What about him was ever endearing? He has never been anything.

He was a staple of NY/NJ television in the 80's/90's, and seemingly never tired of playing the heel as long as it meant he got airtime. A living caricature. Him, Gilbert Gottfried, Howard Stern, and Mario Cantone represent the entirety of my "Growing up in NJ and checking out what's on WWOR Channel 9" experience.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Guze posted:

This is the same fucko that had 2 years of investigations ready for Hillary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.e1a7577ab0ac

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

He was a staple of NY/NJ television in the 80's/90's, and seemingly never tired of playing the heel as long as it meant he got airtime. A living caricature. Him, Gilbert Gottfried, Howard Stern, and Mario Cantone represent the entirety of my "Growing up in NJ and checking out what's on WWOR Channel 9" experience.

Let's not forget that nearly every single "heartless rich bastard" villain in most TV and movies from the mid-late 1980s and throughout the 1990s was basically a thinly-veiled caricature of Donald Trump.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Trump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

This should be probatable, imho. This thread is already full of enough white-noise without having literal one word shitposts. There is a perfectly serviceable C-Spam Trump thread for this sort of fine content.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Don’t do this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hellblazer187 posted:

We're already not seeing the other side of the argument because we ran off any right wingers years ago. The current ideological divide here is Lenin on the left and Bernie Sanders on the right. It's nowhere near an accurate reflection of the ideological divide in the US, which is fascists vs any non-republican.

It was never a sensible divide. Obviously Trump is uspol. It was really "uspol for people who think voting for Democrats, however flawed they may be, is the best way out of this" and "uspol for people who want to yell at that first group"

That's actually just group polarization. Debate and Discussion is a very insular community because of the pay wall to get in but also because this is just the path online forums take as they age. The group becomes more and more insular. It's also a age issue.

DnD has "grown up" so to speak so you have the average age increasing after 9/11. The group took a hard left turn after that.

There never really was though a strong contingent of Republicans or conservatives. There was however a strong libertarian presence on the forums at that time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1061247436109291520

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Should be interesting to see everyone get eviction notices when he eventually files bankruptcy on the US

Then President Lisa Simpson takes over and Bart becomes Secretary of Keeping it Real.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Should be interesting to see everyone get eviction notices when he eventually files bankruptcy on the US

you joke, but people literally had to explain to trump that he could not just try to offer people holding us debt 50 cents on the dollar like he did when his companies were sliding into bankruptcy

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellblazer187 posted:

We're already not seeing the other side of the argument because we ran off any right wingers years ago.

Not to be all leftist "all Republicans are swine", but what argument is there really? Reps voted for an ego obsessed, racist, sexist, idiot poo poo monger that made no effort to hide it because he was "straight forward tell them as it is/bring back our outmoded jerbs" for those that didn't vote straight R as they always do because this isn't electing leaders for the country but more of a competition, or because they liked the ego obsessed, racist, sexist, idiot poo poo monger traits.
Any "argument" you're going to have with a republican backing Trump is going to be either easily destroyed within the first reply, or devolve into a racist tirade about how shooting browns on the border is the moral high road
I work along side a lot of righties at my job, and that's all it is. Either deluded into the lies and unwilling to listen to reason or facts*. Or racist assholes that think, and yes, this is what they said, that the recent elections panning out well for Dems means that migrant caravan is going to flood over our borders, rape our women, murder our families, and take over the country

*I had one ask me why I cared who sat in the whitehouse when none of his policies affect me personally. We work in a steel stamping shop that imports steel from China....his policies directly affect me in a big goddamned way. But my coworker doesn't think that's the case, you know, aside from the company cutting the staff in his department by half, the loss of quarterly bonuses, the loss of our yearly holiday bonus, and the miriad of other ways Trump's bullshitting with trade has cost us more through costs of living.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SocketWrench posted:

I work along side a lot of righties at my job, and that's all it is. Either deluded into the lies and unwilling to listen to reason or facts*. Or racist assholes that think, and yes, this is what they said, that the recent elections panning out well for Dems means that migrant caravan is going to flood over our borders, rape our women, murder our families, and take over the country

*I had one ask me why I cared who sat in the whitehouse when none of his policies affect me personally. We work in a steel stamping shop that imports steel from China....his policies directly affect me in a big goddamned way. But my coworker doesn't think that's the case, you know, aside from the company cutting the staff in his department by half, the loss of quarterly bonuses, the loss of our yearly holiday bonus, and the miriad of other ways Trump's bullshitting with trade has cost us more through costs of living.

The "economically anxious" white working class is, by and large, willing to pay a terribly high price to see all their racist fantasies turned into policies. There is no cost too great.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

GoluboiOgon posted:

how exactly was kavanaugh's appointment a success for the dems?
I am going to put this at the top of the post - handling a bad situation well to maximize benefit doesn't mean becomes a good situation. It would have been better for the Democrats if Kennedy hadn't retired.

I'm also going to point out that Schumer had no power over the nomination, and couldn't block the nomination without Republican votes. In other words, it is all but inevitable that Kavanaugh is seated with at least 50 Republican votes after Trump nominates him.

The only thing Schumer CAN influence is whether seating Kavanaugh hurts or helps Democratic electoral chances. His strategy, after the unsuccessful campaign to block the Pompeo confirmation, is to tell the red state Democrats like Manchin to stay quiet and hold off committing to a vote as late as possible.

This forces McConnell to actually have all the receipts from his party - Flake, Collins, Murkowski. Concerns about losing two of those Republicans are what forced Grassley to hear the Dr. Ford hearing, and hold the FBI investigation, instead of forcing Kavanaugh through with minimum scrutiny.

A dem failure wasn't Kavanaugh getting seat - we lost that fight back in 2016/2014. A dem failure is letting them seat Kavanaugh without forcing Collins to give a public speech about why she doesn't believe the rape victim.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Earthorn posted:

But seriously, the Trump thread was a much better read. Please bring it back.
Just wanted to politely add my vote to the pile that wants the thread split off again.
I don't know where else to express my opinion on this other than this thread. Any possibility of having a poll/vote on this? I don't see how it was bothering anyone, while joining the threads has obviously annoyed a lot of posters.

I am one of those weirdos who tried to read almost every post in the last thread and the post rate is like 1000 a day now, which is a bit too much to keep up with.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ardennes posted:

For some, for others, it was completely unreadable yet was pulling in most USPOL posting anyway.

Trump is a uniquely entertaining figure, slogging through the entire uspol for the wtf Trump tidbits is impossible now and it was arguably the best thing about this site the past 2 years.

Ardennes posted:

Still pretending it's possible to have discussions in good-faith with Republicans is pretty adorable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

We're already not seeing the other side of the argument because we ran off any right wingers years ago. The current ideological divide here is Lenin on the left and Bernie Sanders on the right. It's nowhere near an accurate reflection of the ideological divide in the US, which is fascists vs any non-republican.

It was never a sensible divide. Obviously Trump is uspol. It was really "uspol for people who think voting for Democrats, however flawed they may be, is the best way out of this" and "uspol for people who want to yell at that first group"

Most every person who posted right-leaning arguments in the previous Trump threads eventually admitted (in one fashion or another) that they were just shitposting and trolling to own the libs. They made no real arguments because the right doesn't have any real arguments beyond

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cable Guy posted:

You're right, it really does sound like a beer ad.

I'd not heard donny talk about the 100th anniversary of armistice and was kinda hoping people had "forgotten" to mention it to him.

Wasn't this supposed to be the weekend of that stupid military parade?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...aVfUYH-tc3PUg_I

Lindsey Graham: we have a problem with suburban (white) women, we did not do well with them in this election

Also Lindsey Graham: we owe a debt of gratitude that we did as well as we did to the shitgibbon for being such a shitgibbon and riling up our shitgibbon base while alienating suburban (white) women

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Honestly two threads focused on gop actions and issues Ie Trump and current issues and another one focused on Dems are bad is my only thing. The Dems are a waste thread and circlejerks are just the same arguments over and over and over repeat forever. Yes the Dem party has issues but do we need that circular argument basically every day in a thread focused on current events?

Also Lindsay Graham needs to crawl back in his cave and die, sucking up to facists because he's a war mongering rear end in a top hat. Don't forget he ran a campain that was literally bomb bomb Iran and North Korea

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 10, 2018

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Just wanted to politely add my vote to the pile that wants the thread split off again.
I don't know where else to express my opinion on this other than this thread. Any possibility of having a poll/vote on this? I don't see how it was bothering anyone, while joining the threads has obviously annoyed a lot of posters.

I am one of those weirdos who tried to read almost every post in the last thread and the post rate is like 1000 a day now, which is a bit too much to keep up with.

The Trump thread had a certain joie de vivre that this one doesn't. There's always CSPAM, I guess, but the StN ratio there can be really iffy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Macron loving with Trumps handshake

https://twitter.com/steveholland1/status/1061207844706533376?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Still pretending it's possible to have discussions in good-faith with Republicans is pretty adorable.

There are very few actual Republicans in D&D.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

Not to be all leftist "all Republicans are swine", but what argument is there really? Reps voted for an ego obsessed, racist, sexist, idiot poo poo monger that made no effort to hide it because he was "straight forward tell them as it is/bring back our outmoded jerbs" for those that didn't vote straight R as they always do because this isn't electing leaders for the country but more of a competition, or because they liked the ego obsessed, racist, sexist, idiot poo poo monger traits.
Any "argument" you're going to have with a republican backing Trump is going to be either easily destroyed within the first reply, or devolve into a racist tirade about how shooting browns on the border is the moral high road

A part of Trump's appeal to the uninformed masses was that he came off as a real person and not a rigidly programmed animatronic political robot. You could see it in the Republican primary debates where all of the candidates were giving their mirror speeches with pre-planned Chuckle #32 to increase Humanity Perception by 13% among 25-35 Year Old Demographics and Trump is just like "You are an idiot" causing them to try and burn him with meek off-the-cuff replies. People are subconsciously going to have a preference for the guy that seems like a real person, even though he is a huge jerk.

It's kind of disingenuous to just frame it as the right demanding that a racist, sexist bigot misogynist represent them when it's a more complicated issue about how people aren't really making informed choices and are just treating politics like a sporting event and even though the quarterback choked a stripper by god they need his arm for the playoffs.

The same concept is why Democrats keep electing people like Diane Feinstein who is a mega rich ghoul that is pro-wire tapping and anti-immigration and nobody calls out the Democrats in Seattle for eliminating a small tax on businesses that was designed to fight homelessness. People on both sides are just concerned with the team name, not what they are actually doing. Facilitating the actual death of the homeless to protect businesses is fine as long as it isn't a Republican doing it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I did include competition. There's pretty much four types. Those that fall for the bullshit, those that see politics as a sort of competition/game, those assholes that admire his rear end in a top hat traits, and those that just vote R for whatever reason always

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Honestly two threads focused on gop actions and issues Ie Trump and current issues and another one focused on Dems are bad is my only thing. The Dems are a waste thread and circlejerks are just the same arguments over and over and over repeat forever. Yes the Dem party has issues but do we need that circular argument basically every day in a thread focused on current events?

If it keeps them from making GBS threads up other threads with the same bullshit....yes, very much so

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 10, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I, too, would like the Trump thread split off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

She's 28. She has a little time to build up a resume before social security kicks in.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I hate to be a wet blanket but I don't think enraged_camel is wrong. AOC is only 28. Even if she stayed in the House for 3 terms, she still wouldn't be eligible to run for President yet. She could afford to consolidate power for awhile.

Minor nitpick but she’s 29 now. She’d be eligible in 2024. Hypothetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We definitely need the Trump thread back.