Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ardennes posted:

No, it really isn't. Maybe it is better for some posters to think of this thread helping them with their withdrawal symptoms.

i don't really understand the cost/benefit analysis here. there are obviously lots of posters who want the trump thread back. people don't need to get what they want if there's some downside, but i'm not seeing it and nobody's really explaining it and i think if there is some big downside people aren't seeing it'd be better to say what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Jfc, this thread is almost complete trash comparatively. The reason the split into the 'trump thread' and 'shitpost containment thread' was good, was because it allowed for actual debate and discussion of things that weren't rehashes of the same two year old arguments. It's not to loving avoid opinions, pretend opinions doesn't exist, or to create an echo chamber, it's to be able to be able to read and talk about things which are NOT just the same old poo poo of over and over and over again. If you actually try and read the thread, rather than just skip the 500 posts since the last time you checked, it's like completely obvious how bad the thread is now.

Did you not actually read the Trump thread? It was just an endless dunk fest on the world's easiest strawman that was basically a twitter aggregate interspersed with "Orange Man Bad" rants. That thread was the very definition of avoiding opinions, pretending they don't exist, creating an echo chamber and talking about the same old poo poo over and over again. You guys want catharsis and that's fine but don't try to pretend that thread was some kind of bastion of reason and debate and this one somehow isn't because more people want to talk about more things.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did you not actually read the Trump thread? It was just an endless dunk fest on the world's easiest strawman that was basically a twitter aggregate interspersed with "Orange Man Bad" rants. That thread was the very definition of avoiding opinions, pretending they don't exist, creating an echo chamber and talking about the same old poo poo over and over again. You guys want catharsis and that's fine but don't try to pretend that thread was some kind of bastion of reason and debate and this one somehow isn't because more people want to talk about more things.

Nobody would force you to read the thread, champ.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Minds have been up.

What's done is done.

It's not changing.

Accept it and move on.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

I too feel that more people should have guns so they can accidentally kill family members when they're scared at night or so they can intentionally shoot up bars full of innocent people when they're upset.

It works for them. I'm admittedly getting a bit paranoid lately and I typed and deleted and re-typed that third point like 5 times. If you prefer just read that as points one and two.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What about like, demsbad Wednesdays or something where that kind of content is allowed some of the time but not all of the time?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did you not actually read the Trump thread? It was just an endless dunk fest on the world's easiest strawman that was basically a twitter aggregate interspersed with "Orange Man Bad" rants.

This makes me miss it more. It was fun commute reading.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Koalas Massacre posted:

It's not "everyone likes the old way better" plenty of people are fine with it, we've expressed this and it's shown by people continuing to post as usual but shockingly the people who hate it are angry, loud and obnoxious much like the republican party so this "silent majority" thing ain't gonna fly

People speaking their minds that they liked the Trump thread isn't being loud and obnoxious in my opinion, they're just speaking their minds. It's not like they're having meltdowns, just voicing their displeasure.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilweasel posted:

i don't really understand the cost/benefit analysis here. there are obviously lots of posters who want the trump thread back. people don't need to get what they want if there's some downside, but i'm not seeing it and nobody's really explaining it and i think if there is some big downside people aren't seeing it'd be better to say what it is.

The benefit is those posters need to accept the pluralism of expression and that maybe someone may have a different point of view than them and it shouldn't meaningful impact their life. Btw, purposefully narrowing the scope of discussion is on its face a downside.

CubanMissile posted:

People speaking their minds that they liked the Trump thread isn't being loud and obnoxious in my opinion, they're just speaking their minds. It's not like they're having meltdowns, just voicing their displeasure.

If it dominates the discussion, then there is an issue.

(Also, giving other posters only one day a week to express their views is honestly kind of disturbing.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 10, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Koalas Massacre posted:

It's not "everyone likes the old way better" plenty of people are fine with it, we've expressed this and it's shown by people continuing to post as usual but shockingly the people who hate it are angry, loud and obnoxious much like the republican party so this "silent majority" thing ain't gonna fly

Actually I think the "nobody cares what you think, gently caress you" attitude is more like the Republican party, but maybe that's just me.

Ardennes posted:

The benefit is those posters need to accept the pluralism of expression and that maybe someone may have a different point of view than them and it shouldn't meaningful impact their life. Btw, purposefully narrowing the scope of discussion is on its face a downside.

I get where you're coming from. I guess what Im getting at is it worked just fine for two years. Why is it all of a sudden a problem now?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this thread is bad like all bipartisanism

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

There have been meltdowns. Idk how closely you've been following this thread but holy poo poo people have been all those things.

Take a peek at the lepers colony

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Nobody would force you to read the thread, champ.

Sage advice if I do say so myself. Words we can all consider and think upon.

Also I loved the Trump thread. Watching people meltdown 24/7 and go into violent fantasies about politics as they make Donald Trump the embodiment of all that is evil and bad in the world is extremely fascinating. I was simply correcting the person that acted like the thread hyperfocused on Donald Trump wasn't "The same old poo poo over and over" or that a communal punching bag has anything to do with debating and discussing anything.

Insanite posted:

Exactly. I lurked that thread more than any other.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Ardennes posted:

Btw, purposefully narrowing the scope of discussion is on its face a downside.

I am not sure I would agree. The various US local politics are much more readable than this one, while still having plenty of discussion about dems bad, precisely because of their narrower scope.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Actually I think the "nobody cares what you think, gently caress you" attitude is more like the Republican party, but maybe that's just me.

This poo poo has been discussed to death, there is even a qqcs thread. At some point it has to stop because it's derailing the thread.

Like if you seriously can't understand that there comes a point that the discussion has to move on or go elsewhere I don't know what to tell you

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I am not sure I would agree. The various US local politics are much more readable than this one, while still having plenty of discussion about dems bad, precisely because of their narrower scope.

It is fairly obvious at this point there is going to be one main USPOL thread so essentially the choice is to unite them or "separate but no so equal."

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Koalas Massacre posted:

Like if you seriously can't understand that there comes a point that the discussion has to move on or go elsewhere I don't know what to tell you

But enough about Bernie/Hillary chat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ardennes posted:

(Also, giving other posters only one day a week to express their views is honestly kind of disturbing.)

Well we could give them a whole thread for that but there is a weird arbitrary rule that there can't be a thread about the problems with the democratic party OR a thread about the president of the united states so both threads have to share the pages of this thread.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I will say this - I've paid a total of like 20-30 dollars to use this site over the last 15 years so I'm not some "paying customer who will take my money elsewhere!" I've gotten an extraordinary value from the SA forums and in general across the board the moderation has made this site what it is. So, if the mods want it that way so be it. I don't think it's such a crime to let it be known that a lot of us liked the old way better, but that's probably getting excessive at this point as well.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Koalas Massacre posted:

oh god, it's full of tucker carlson :nms:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Insanite posted:

:same:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I agree, we should just condense all of D&D into one thread. If you don't want to read about Finnish local elections, just skip over the posts.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Hellblazer187 posted:

It works for them. I'm admittedly getting a bit paranoid lately and I typed and deleted and re-typed that third point like 5 times. If you prefer just read that as points one and two.

I'm sorry, but I can't ignore that. I've seen you advocate Dems arming twice now, once minutes before the California shooting and again just now. I think your position of putting even more lives in danger so we can adopt GOP tactics is dangerous and misguided. Myself and many others are Dems specifically because they don't use GOP tactics and because gun control has at least a tiny chance with the Dems. Frankly it astounds me that you can make posts about arming more people, see a mass shooting occur minutes later, then go right back to posting about Dems arming themselves like nothing happened. The last thing we need is more guns in people's hands. And those people being liberals doesnt make them any less likely to snap and become voilent or accidentally shoot someone in the dark. It seems like you're doing this for some fantasy about fighting a civil war when the GOP finally comes to kill us all.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

sixers for anyone who doesn't post a tweet, animal tax, or link to a news story, and then this thread would be reasonable

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well we could give them a whole thread for that but there is a weird arbitrary rule that there can't be a thread about the problems with the democratic party OR a thread about the president of the united states so both threads have to share the pages of this thread.

I think that there actually can't be a single thread about US politics is, in fact, an issue and that certain issues "need" to be segregated to their own threads isn't really valid since it is obvious those issues will be swept to the sidelines since it isn't in the "big thread."

Also, last I checked the US was still one country.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

It seems like you're doing this for some fantasy about fighting a civil war when the GOP finally comes to kill us all.

I am literally afraid of this, yes. I'm not sure what else to do.

I'm also in favor of gun control. The types of guns people should be allowed to buy should be restricted, and people should need to pass background checks. I just also think it's dangerous that almost all of the firearms in the country are owned by the right.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 10, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i agree with this post, there'd be much less complaining if there was some obvious explanation rather than just 'posting about posting' probes whenever it comes up

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Koalas Massacre posted:

I'm not complaining because it's obvious the mods don't give a poo poo and it's a waste of time, not because I agree with you. Sitting through ardenne's stupid-persons-idea-of-an -intelligent-person inanities on pluralism though isn't every worth it.

You can have your little hell thread, I'm out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

I too would like the old Trump thread back, FWIW

I ate a 6er for posting this, so you might want to edit that away and start a thread in QCS or w/e.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I see no problem with the current thread tbh. People who just want the off-site content can run the script or get a Twitter account for themselves.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I will say that this thread is loving impossible to parse even more than the Trump one it’s like double the posts in less the time.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I will say this - I've paid a total of like 20-30 dollars to use this site over the last 15 years so I'm not some "paying customer who will take my money elsewhere!" I've gotten an extraordinary value from the SA forums and in general across the board the moderation has made this site what it is. So, if the mods want it that way so be it. I don't think it's such a crime to let it be known that a lot of us liked the old way better, but that's probably getting excessive at this point as well.

This is a good attitude.

I think it would be nice if y'all could trust the mods enough to give it a fair chance and more than a couple days.

If you're really that pressed go to qqcs and state your opinions instead of derailing the thread you don't want derailed.

I think that's pretty reasonable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ardennes posted:

this is a forum, it holds many threads. the whole point of forum threads is that you can separate discussions so that a single thread is more readable. nobody's demanding that the terrible posters of the dems are bad thread be prohibited from having their point of view. there's no shortage of thread space, it's not like having a second thread forces nobody to be able to discuss germany anymore since we ran out of thread room. now, don't get me wrong: the dems bad posters are mostly terrible posters making bad posts. but that's not the key issue: it's that the issue has been discussed to death, nobody's mind is going to be changed since everyone's heard every argument and either accepted them or not, and it dominates any discussion that becomes tangentially involved so that any other discussion can't really take place.

and it's never been true that "you can just skip over all of the terrible posters". that makes a thread a boring, unfun slog to read. so people who don't like terrible posters stop reading it, the percentage of terrible posts goes up, more people stop reading it, etc etc. there are lots of people who are whining that they didn't like what people in the trump thread were posting - they didn't have to read it! it's much easier to not read an entire thread than to not read a bunch of bad posts.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Lol it's Saturday morning and most of the U.S. ain't up yet but this thread is still non-stop :justpost:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Hellblazer187 posted:

I am literally afraid of this, yes. I'm not sure what else to do.

See a therapist and stay away from things that might kill people.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CubanMissile posted:

Myself and many others are Dems specifically because they don't use GOP tactics

This is a terrible reason to support a political platform btw.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Koalas Massacre posted:

This is why I didn’t say anything before. It was super cool when saying “Hey, I disagree with merging these two very different threads.” was probatable!

edit: Maybe it is again? Just saw posts made while I was posting. Guess we’ll see.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Off the top of my head, Elvis and staubach were both culturally important people who were also famously veterans so maybe it's not completely insane, on veterans day, to honor them when a lot of veterans out there feel hopeless about life after service.

The irony of Donald Trump being the one to recognize that is pretty astounding.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Koalas Massacre posted:

If you're really that pressed go to qqcs and state your opinions instead of derailing the thread you don't want derailed.

The QQCS thread was closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mods: Am I out of touch? No, no, it is every user who is wrong